Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love you Xenomrph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Lets take a brief moment and talk about fandom. This is probably applicable in pretty much any pop culture thread, but I'm posting it here because I have a lot of exposure to Alien fandom, and because I just got to see some of the worst of it on a message board I frequent.

I get where fandom stems from - shared cultural experience, and the desire to relive it with others. It can be useful - at its core, we frequent CineD because we're fans of movies in a broader sense, and it gives us an outlet to share our ideas. In the age of the Internet, that ability has never been greater.

The problem is the kinds of people that get attracted to fandoms, and the sort of septic atmosphere it breeds. People often lose sight of the bigger picture, and spend more time debating and arguing about minutiae than enjoying the thing they're all allegedly a fan of. You get people trying to force their opinions on others as if they're some kind of righteous defenders and arbitrators of something that exists to entertain and make money.

I recently got dragged into a "canon" debate, the unholiest, most toxic and divisive of debates you find with fandoms. I hate them, and my position on canon debates is pretty universally "this is the official word, but please disregard it if you don't like it and just do what makes you happy".
Canon is ultimately an opinion, and it should be what you enjoy. Who cares what some other fan thinks, or what some corporation says?

But instead I've been (futilely) trying to reason with someone who thinks that their arbitrary, goalposts-changing personal views are literal, factual truth, and that by disagreeing with him, I am disagreeing with The Canon.
It's a storm in a teacup, a not-quite shouting match (or at least *I* am keeping my cool) on an Internet forum that 99.9% of the human population will never see, let alone give a poo poo about, where I'm trying to convince him that yes, it's okay for people to have a different opinion from him, and no, I'm not trying to change his opinion and I don't care if he agrees with my view or not. He completely lacks self awareness about what it means to be "a fan" of something, or how to share an opinion.

It's the worst example of "fandom" summed up in one debate, it hits every Bingo card checkbox for what's wrong with fandom. It's really unfortunate, and it'll never change.

This sounds like it happened on SSF forums. That poo poo happened all the goddamn time and it's one of the reasons I'm glad I'm banned. Awful awful nerds. It could be elsewhere, probably AvP-Galaxy. Which also sucks poo poo.

The weird part is, I'm like a super hardcore Alien fan to a probably unhealthy point. But I've never felt like I've fit in with "The fandom". I can't think of any fandom I feel like I belong. They usually just latch onto the most mundane and uninteresting aspects of the respected franchises that it's impossible to give a poo poo about anything they're saying.

This is especially true for Invader Zim. The worst fandom in the world. I can't relate to 98% of 'em.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

This sounds like it happened on SSF forums. That poo poo happened all the goddamn time and it's one of the reasons I'm glad I'm banned. Awful awful nerds. It could be elsewhere, probably AvP-Galaxy. Which also sucks poo poo.

The weird part is, I'm like a super hardcore Alien fan to a probably unhealthy point. But I've never felt like I've fit in with "The fandom". I can't think of any fandom I feel like I belong. They usually just latch onto the most mundane and uninteresting aspects of the respected franchises that it's impossible to give a poo poo about anything they're saying.

This is especially true for Invader Zim. The worst fandom in the world. I can't relate to 98% of 'em.
It was AvPGalaxy. I'm not even familiar with the SSF forums.

I used to be a mega-ultra-nerd when it came to Alien fandom; I'd get embroiled in the most retarded debates about the smallest minutiae and I was generally a really angry person on those forums (not AvPGalaxy, a different forum). Once that started to bleed over into my every day life, where I found myself stewing over what people on the internet were saying, I realized it was really unhealthy and I just... pulled the plug. I walked away, and didn't post on any sort of Alien messageboards or anything on the internet for several years.

I'm weird about my "fandom" because I only really embrace it on the internet. In every day life you'd never really know I was a huge Aliens fanboy - I don't have movie posters and figurines and poo poo all over my house, I don't wear Alien T-shirts, and frankly I get weirded out when I interact with other Aliens fans "in person", even if they want to talk about stuff I'd otherwise enthusiastically talk about on the internet.

Maybe it's me consciously/subconsciously trying to not let my fandom define who I am in everyday life, which seems like a pretty healthy way to go.

I do find myself zoning out a lot on the AvPGalaxy boards lately because it's almost 100% non-stop Prometheus 2/Blomkamp Alien5 speculation and hand-wringing and over-analysis, and that kind of poo poo bores me to tears.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I stopped giving a poo poo about canon when I found out that some non canon stuff made things much more interesting. Portable ops is crapped on as a game but I find that it supplements the other games well. But it's usually only Sci fi poo poo and video games that I find run into this problem.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I've always found it hard to understand people who get seriously invested in canon. It's all made up anyway, so designating certain parts as more made up than others seems needless.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Party Boat posted:

I've always found it hard to understand people who get seriously invested in canon. It's all made up anyway, so designating certain parts as more made up than others seems needless.
Pretty much the. Enjoy what you like, ignore what you don't.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The multiple levels of canon on Wookiepedia or whatever is probably the dumbest thing ever. "This is slightly more made up than this other thing."

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
It harkens back to when church elders first decided upon the canon of the bible. This is a nerd slapfight that continues to this day.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Its big in comic books because they play up on being one long series so often that many people follow them as one long soap opera type series. That was pretty much their entire hook. Since different writers and artists play in the sandbox, you need to separate the stories where you can do whatever the hell you want to with those that try to maintain the continuity. Thus Elseworlds and What Ifs and stuff.

Sometimes, this gets extended to other media. Star Wars makes a little sense as they released a ton of tie in stuff that was based on being a serial, and it was one of the most popular things that did this. Other things make a little less sense.

But, yeah, basically when something is sold as "TUNE IN TO THE NEXT PIECE OF MEDIA TO CONTINUE THIS STORY!" you don't blame the people who care about that story being continued.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Full Battle Rattle posted:

It harkens back to when church elders first decided upon the canon of the bible. This is a nerd slapfight that continues to this day.
That's literally the point I brought up on the AvP forums to show that canon debates are silly and retarded. There is no "one canon" for loving world religion, why on earth would there be one for entertainment mass media fiction?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Xenomrph posted:

That's literally the point I brought up on the AvP forums to show that canon debates are silly and retarded. There is no "one canon" for loving world religion, why on earth would there be one for entertainment mass media fiction?

Um there is, non-catholics are just heretics.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Baronjutter posted:

Um there is, non-catholics are just heretics.
Welp that's one way to look at it I guess :frogdowns:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Avp1-2 were good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You should evaluate the value of canon to the work you're creating and proceed accordingly. Showing complete contempt for it will just alienate(lol) your audience and cause a disconnection from the suspension of disbelief.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lurdiak posted:

You should evaluate the value of canon to the work you're creating and proceed accordingly. Showing complete contempt for it will just alienate(lol) your audience and cause a disconnection from the suspension of disbelief.
What do you mean?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

What do you mean?

I mean that if you're making a sequel to a popular film and get a bunch of events from the first one wrong, you can't expect people to react positively to that. Canon helps works feel like part of a cohesive whole. But it's true that a lot of franchises get far too bogged down in them. You can tell a lot of great stories set in the same universe without caring too much about how things match up. But you can't do that for every type of story, and you need to really think about that aspect before you begin playing with someone else's toys.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lurdiak posted:

I mean that if you're making a sequel to a popular film and get a bunch of events from the first one wrong, you can't expect people to react positively to that. Canon helps works feel like part of a cohesive whole. But it's true that a lot of franchises get far too bogged down in them. You can tell a lot of great stories set in the same universe without caring too much about how things match up. But you can't do that for every type of story, and you need to really think about that aspect before you begin playing with someone else's toys.
I absolutely agree with all of that, it's just that when you've got people disregarding entire stories because a few minor details are wrong (not seeing the forest for the trees), or people literally trying to force other people to accept things they don't like because "reasons", that canon becomes more of a hindrance than a help.

Frankly the way you're describing it, canon matters for people actually writing in and contributing to the overarching narrative, and even then it has its limits. Canon shouldn't matter to the end user who isn't actually contributing to the storytelling, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I absolutely agree with all of that, it's just that when you've got people disregarding entire stories because a few minor details are wrong (not seeing the forest for the trees), or people literally trying to force other people to accept things they don't like because "reasons", that canon becomes more of a hindrance than a help.

Frankly the way you're describing it, canon matters for people actually writing in and contributing to the overarching narrative, and even then it has its limits. Canon shouldn't matter to the end user who isn't actually contributing to the storytelling, though.

Of course, I was just speaking my thoughts on the broader concept of canon, not necessarily trying to argue with your own post.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lurdiak posted:

Of course, I was just speaking my thoughts on the broader concept of canon, not necessarily trying to argue with your own post.
Oh I know, we cool :hfive:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I know and absolutely agree with the whole "fan identity" thing. My room is covered in Alien toys and posters and all kinds of stuff. But I like to keep it there. Where it belongs. I might wear an Alien hat or something because it's a cool Nostromo hat, but that's about as far as I go. It's a part of me but it's not me.

In fact, because this is the Alien thread, here are some pictures of my Alien toys.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Is that goop on the cenobyte's mouth part of the model or did you add that?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always wondered how Aliens keep hydrated when they're constantly uncontrollably drooling all the gently caress over the place.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hbomberguy posted:

Soap is key for Alien toy photography.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I always wondered how Aliens keep hydrated when they're constantly uncontrollably drooling all the gently caress over the place.

There's always water around. The alien movies are some of the wettest movies ever.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

No-one leapt out of the woodwork to correct my purposefully-wrong naming of the Predator.

You all pass the test

Richslode
May 2, 2013

That poor cat.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hbomberguy posted:

No-one leapt out of the woodwork to correct my purposefully-wrong naming of the Predator.

You all pass the test

I just thought it was a new thing you were trying out, I was willing to go with it. Nobody talks about real cenobites these days anyway.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aliens could be cenobites I guess. They got the look for it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They'd have to be the one that chitters, though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Richslode posted:

That poor cat.
At the end of the day he made out alright.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

IM gonna lay it all out on the line and say Event Horizon is the movie Alien wishes it was.

Except this time, the monster is us.

Or rather, the monster is a ship.

Oh my God, can you imagine if an Alien was the size of the ship from Event Horizon?

What was the name of the ship? Lewis and Clark, right?

Or was it Event Horizon?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

My mistake, there were two ships: Lewis and Clark and the Event Horizon.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Oh my God, can you imagine of there was an Alien the size of the Lewis and Clark and the Event Horizon put together? Cha-ching!

Muurkas
Apr 20, 2005
That would be farscape. It was pretty good.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

oldpainless posted:

IM gonna lay it all out on the line and say Event Horizon is the movie Alien wishes it was.

Except this time, the monster is us.

Or rather, the monster is a ship.

Oh my God, can you imagine if an Alien was the size of the ship from Event Horizon?

What was the name of the ship? Lewis and Clark, right?

Or was it Event Horizon?

What if the true alien was the size of the moon? And all the crazy monsters were just small fry compared to it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Space_(2008_video_game)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lurdiak posted:

Actually, if the sequel is good in it's own right, then no one should care that it gets facts about the first movie wrong.

Canon is an illusion. Free yourself from it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Maybe I'm a terrible person but I love films (especially those in established series) that defy expectations and force audiences out of their comfort zones. It's one of the reasons I like Prometheus so much. Ditto for Only God Forgives, which most people expected to be a spiritual sequel to Drive and instead ended up being a weird rejection of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Canon is an illusion.

So's film-making in general, you still have to abide by rules or you get a hosed up end result.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Hbomberguy posted:

Now THERE's a fun crossover idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Maybe I'm a terrible person but I love films (especially those in established series) that defy expectations and force audiences out of their comfort zones. It's one of the reasons I like Prometheus so much. Ditto for Only God Forgives, which most people expected to be a spiritual sequel to Drive and instead ended up being a weird rejection of it.

I SUPER hated Only God Forgives, but I can totally appreciate the point it's making and kind of wish I was capable of enjoying it - it is very much a Prometheus-ing of Drive.

My pro strat is to read every film in a series as belonging to a separate Universe where things work slightly differently. It's the best way to make sense of a series like the original star wars trilogy, or the marvel movies, both of which lack an overall plan beside some basic notes or at least have very different thematic concerns from each other.