Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I got me some range upgrades for me dwarf last night with a rather successful Black Powder pubby group. I got a handgun (which is loving awesome) and a blue Hellfire Pistols.

The Hellfires are neat because it sorta makes you a BW with heat management. Fire off small rapid shots, or one big gently caress off blast. But it feels kinda... Anemic? I guess is the word that best fits. It's a cool weapon but you can't take out specials with it like you can the handgun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

It's made for hordes and normal rats, not specials. The handgun is like, the exact opposite. They will feel different.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

We need every major non-Chaos race to get a character. Dark elf corsair with a repeating crossbow, high elf White Lion, a vampire count, a black orc mercenary, a Bretonian knight, etc.

I hope they'll try to make the character mechanics a bit more unique for any further characters. Right now the bright wizard is really the only one who breaks the mold with the overheating, and even that is somewhat copied by the dwarf's drakefire pistols. Having something more distinctive like for example a vampire who needs to occasionally snack on a rat to not succumb to bloodlust or a mage of a different school who has to sync their casting to the winds of magic would be pretty great.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Dezztroy posted:

Pubbies are hard at work finding new ways to exploit the Horn finale. You can stand on the diagonal beams on the sides of the horn to get the same effect as when you sat underneath.

Why they need exploits when you have the bench and ammobow, who knows.
I ran some nightmare earlier and they were using a player with no tomes/grimoires to just suicide after blowing the horn instead of a speed potion, since they respawn in the elevator room and just get revived immediately while everyone else never jumped down and is at the ammo box corner.

Literally 0 groups I've gone with have even tried to do it legit without me insisting :sigh:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Metos posted:

I ran some nightmare earlier and they were using a player with no tomes/grimoires to just suicide after blowing the horn instead of a speed potion, since they respawn in the elevator room and just get revived immediately while everyone else never jumped down and is at the ammo box corner.

I've done this once. Three globadiers in a row tossing poison into the room have made me very wary of trying it again.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
So after lots of missions where the RNG royally screws me over by giving me rubbish on my loot rolls, I finally get enough items together to fuse 5 blues, including 3 dual daggers, which I found to be utter shite, through a painstaking process of fusing whites and greens. Yay, my first orange!

:negative:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

You put in 3 dual daggers, what were you expecting? you had a 60% chance for dual daggers.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Drythe posted:

You put in 3 dual daggers, what were you expecting? you had a 60% chance for dual daggers.

So fusing isn't random? Well gently caress

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

MadJackMcJack posted:

So fusing isn't random? Well gently caress

No it's 20% chance on each item you put in, 3 dual daggers is 60%. 5 dual swords would have been a 100%

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

:rip:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dual daggers are okay though. You'll be a hit on nightmare wheat and chaff with your stormvermin assassination skills.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Kruber names his legendary repeater Ursula :o:

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I'm five million percent certain that dwarf dual pistols dont exist and anyone who tells you they got a pair are awful, awful liars

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Demiurge4 posted:

Dual daggers are okay though. You'll be a hit on nightmare wheat and chaff with your stormvermin assassination skills.

The thing is, the single longsword for the elf is just as good at cracking stormvermin on the power attack and the regular attack is way better at stunning regular enemies.

People have been talking poo poo about the bright wizard in the harder difficulties and I'm just not seeing it. I've been doing nightmare runs fairly regularly the last couple of days and still regularly top the end map results screen. The trick is that the fireball and bolt staffs are pubby trap weapons. The beam and conflagration staffs are killer on those difficulties because each has an AoE fire mode that doesn't friendly fire.

The beam staff primary fire smites the area in front of you shotgun style and while it doesn't kill clan rats on the initial hit, the fire will kill them eventually and it does kill the slave rat swarms in a single hit, turning you into death incarnate on them. The secondary is basically a laser sniper rifle that will murder anything you point out at for long enough. If your teammates are awake it's pretty easy for them to not cross the hot death beam while it's going. I'm not normally one to advocate ranged weapons on a rat ogre, but a strength potion and the beam staff really work him over.

It also helps that all of the wizards melee weapons are all really good in crowd control. I've got a flaming longsword now with improved shove and extra block stamina that basically turns me into a poor man's sword and board only my shield is on fire.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

The fire sword also has the obvious advantage of setting rats on fire, which causes the weaker ones to freak the gently caress out and stop attacking.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I was the scrub pubbie tonight...

I joined a game in progress as the dwarf and my sound glitched out. I was fighting rats, I couldn't see past rats, behind the rats was a stormvermin patrol...

We wiped and I felt terrible.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

loving dwarf

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

We learned last night that it is possible to get infinite rat spawns.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
In elf news, the elf's sword&dagger has two charge attacks. It starts with the dual sword scissor cut, and if you charge again, you get the dual dagger double stab.

\/ Awesome! I thought they only alternated directional sweeps.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 26, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

In elf news, the elf's sword&dagger has two charge attacks. It starts with the dual sword scissor cut, and if you charge again, you get the dual dagger double stab.

Most melee weapons have more than one charge attack pattern. It's like normal attacks, they play one after the other and you can reset by blocking inbetween attacks.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm split on whether bots or pubbies are worse in this game. The former are at least good at killing enemies, though not when you want them to (specials); on the other hand, when you get hosed by a special, there's a chance that you'll actually be saved by the latter...

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Donnerberg posted:

Most weapons have more than one charge attack if you keep spamming it.

The Shield in particular starts with a Single Target hit, before doing two wide sweeps.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

One thing that L4D did that I wish happened here was having all of the enemies more or less clearly visible throughout the level. Yeah you might occasionally find a random dude laying on the ground in a dark corner, but crowd control was generally easier

Here you never actually clear out anything, you have to be constantly watching every direction at once because you will be a wall on which a wave of rats will break but it will still spawn some random clan rat on a roof behind you that will jump down on top of you and end up taking half your health. It's irritiating

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
I can't believe I have to watch my back in this game! Somebody dial up Fatshark HQ and get the president on the line!

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I'm a newbie and so far I've mostly been playing elf, but I've been feeling pretty underwhelmed by it.

The soldier and dwarf are sounding pretty good from reading the thread. Which should I try if I want to stick with something for a bit and git gud?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Soldier and dwarf are the closest the game has to having two identical characters, so either of them is fine. I have difficulty adjusting to the dwarf's lower camera, though. :v:

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
WItch hunter's rapier is something of a git gud weapon. Either that or learn how to be a good shield man.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

I'm a newbie and so far I've mostly been playing elf, but I've been feeling pretty underwhelmed by it.

The soldier and dwarf are sounding pretty good from reading the thread. Which should I try if I want to stick with something for a bit and git gud?

Start with Soldier. Play a game with the Hammer, and get used to dodging in and out of combat with it. That Hammer will crush Stormvermin quickly, and will teach you how to dodge ( jump/direction key ). Also get used to using the block/shove for it, since it's a great way to get a bunch of Skaven out of your face.

Since Hammer is such an opportunistic weapon, it forces you to pay attention to what your team is doing, where the Skaven are, and how to play the combat systems to your advantage.

Once you have that stuff down, switch to sword and shield, and play defensive for a bit. If you see Skaven gunning for your buddies, go knock them down with the charge attack. Use dodge liberally. Etc etc. Since you have better situational awareness from playing Hammer for so long, you should be able to see the spots you'd help the most as sword and shield. Then you get to know true hilarity as you basically run around knocking down hordes of Skaven for your allies while they murder them.

Dwarf is basically the same setup, I just don't find the Great Axes to be quite as efficient as the Hammer/Zweihanders, so it's a bit harder to learn. Also he's much shorter.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Uh I fixed this Dream because obv. it's one of the coolest aspects of the game.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Here you never actually clear out anything, you have to be constantly watching every direction at once because you will be a wall on which a wave of rats will break but it will still spawn some random clan rat on a roof behind you that will jump down on top of you and end up taking half your health. It's immersive and cool and a Good Decision.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The Crossbow/Longbow/Handgun are the Git Gud weapons, if you can pop heads with them you can be a Special Sniping machine and save the party a lot of hassle.

Two Handed Hammer requires you to Git Gud at dancing in combat, but once you got it down you are Mr Plow

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

rezatahs posted:

I can't believe I have to watch my back in this game! Somebody dial up Fatshark HQ and get the president on the line!

It's not that, I just wish that the spawns were more consistent rather than "oh you have a horde in front of you, better waste your time checking your rear constantly because random low level rats are everywhere"

I get that being swarmed is the overall feel of the game, but from a game play standpoint it's irritating to be MLG PRO-ing a horde just for the game to say gently caress you and spawn rats out of any one of a thousand windows while you are distracted. Or to hold on to your last block of health through blood and guts just to get shanked by someone randomly crawling out of a sewer grate. It just doesn't feel like you have agency to stop that

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 26, 2015

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
You're just not doing it right.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's not that, I just wish that the spawns were more consistent rather than "oh you have a horde in front of you, better waste your time checking your rear constantly because random low level rats are everywhere"

I get that being swarmed is the overall feel of the game, but from a game play standpoint it's irritating to be MLG PRO-ing a horde just for the game to say gently caress you and spawn rats out of any one of a thousand windows while you are distracted. Or to hold on to your last block of health through blood and guts just to get shanked by someone randomly crawling out of a sewer grate. It just doesn't feel like you have agency to stop that

Like you say you understand the core concept of the game but I don't think you actually do.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The random rats are there to make "Stand in a corner" more of a risky strategy, rather than the cure of all ills like it was in L4D. Besides if all four of you are swinging forwards you're at best being a bit useless. It takes two at most to deal with that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah to be fair to DreamWrecked it is also frequently less that you even missed rats and more that the game arbitrarily spawned a couple rats directly behind you just because. When playing rear guard because we have another shield guy I have seen 3-5 slave rats simply spawn from thin air behind the team's blockade about a dozen times.

It'd be fine if they dropped from above or something (and often they do), but the game gets too eager to put dudes at your 6 o clock sometimes. And when it does they just sort of pop in to existence and you have no chance of hearing them before they are clawing at your rear end in a top hat.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

At least most maps have obvious places they'll come from, like sewer pipes, dig holes and the aforementioned windows and rooftops. Similar to something like Alien Isolation, you start to either avoid those places or keep an eye on them. Granted, it's a bastard during horde events.

The maps I like the least are the ones where rats fall out of the sky, like on the final mission. It's frustrating because you never feel in control of the space.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 26, 2015

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Late to the party but looking to pick this up and mash some rats into paste. What's the best deal on the game right now? GMG has it for something like $22 with the mid-season deal coupon but I didn't know if there was a better deal out there.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Drythe posted:

loving dwarf elf

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

why not both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
There are also a disturbing number of 'poof' spawns, especially with relation to ambushes. It's pretty bad when I can literally see the rats spawning into existence, and as a rear guard I see that A LOT. Another thing on the pile that really needs to be tweaked.

• Locked thread