Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

We prefer to loving call him a bowling ball in a uni or "The Toldozer".

I've always liked "that fat gently caress"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

gently caress you the lions

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I wonder how they held the best front seven in football in check with such elite players like Josh Kline, David Andrews ,Tre Jackson and Cameron Fleming? Perhaps the 'ol ben gay on the jock strap? Expired Gatorade? Maybe sunspots? Gamma radiation? We'll never know I guess.

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

But somewhat more frustratingly, the defense has regressed, despite having mostly the same personnel from last year. It's still probably a top 10 unit, but last year it was arguably #2. Though the cornerbacks are unexpectedly playing lights out, the most expensive defensive line in football has been pretty pedestrian. Is it all scheme? Bad luck? Is Ryan just a mediocre coordinator?

I think all but the most elite defenses will struggle when their offense cannot stay on the field. I bet the Bills defense will be fine again once they get Tyrod, Williams and Watkins back.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

NC-17 posted:

I wonder how they held the best front seven in football in check with such elite players like Josh Kline, David Andrews ,Tre Jackson and Cameron Fleming? Perhaps the 'ol ben gay on the jock strap? Expired Gatorade? Maybe sunspots? Gamma radiation? We'll never know I guess.

mcmagic knows.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

NC-17 posted:

Probably some combination of having the playbook, the playcalls, field conditions and holding. We'll know more when more drips out just like how we learned about them having the Rams playbook, their taping and their tampering with the football and headsets.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Ozu posted:

You're a pretty bad watcher of football. They sent 7 and Gronk was in to block the left edge. He freelanced instead though and let Coples run free at Brady; Coples just didn't get there in time.

Game was effectively over at that point anyways so whatever.

That was no freelancing by Gronk but a designed play to take care of that safety blitz. If he had blocked Coples, Gilchrist would still have been able to hit Brady. Brady could have thrown to Amendola for the first down.

That doesn't change the fact that if you are behind and there are 2 or less minutes left on the clock you use your timeouts to have as much time as possible left on the clock when/if you defense makes a stop. I guess his rational could have been that he wanted to goat the Patriots into running the ball on 2nd and 3 but you don't try to play mindgames with Bill Belichick, he will always win.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

sean10mm posted:

I wonder how effective that tactic historically is against Brady?

code:
BY DEFENSIVE MOTION	CMP	ATT	YDS	CMP%	AVG	LNG	TD	INT	SACK	RAT	
Blitz	                29	43	392	67.4	9.12	52	8	1	4	126.2	
Oh.

It's not like things are any better when you don't blitz at all.

07 Pats/Jags Divisional Playoff posted:

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady set the NFL record for completion percentage in a single game (92.9%) with 26 of 28 completions for 263 yards and 3 touchdowns, while running back Laurence Maroney added 162 total yards (122 on the ground). Overall, New England gained 401 yards and didn't punt the ball until 31 seconds remained in the fourth quarter.

e:

The only sure fire way to beat Brady is to play him when his head is so far up his own rear end he can't see pressure coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lk-wWUQKBg

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 26, 2015

Nov 6, 2002

Anyway, that was the first complete Jets game I've watched this year, and I can't imagine that Geno Smith has any chance of reclaiming the starting job outside of an injury. Fitzpatrick is so much better I can't believe he wasn't named the starter before Smith got KO'd.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

fsif posted:

Now that the Bills are on bye, it's time to reflect a bit about the state of the team.

Prior to the start of the season, the line on the Bills was that if they only had a functional QB, they would be a surefire playoff team. Almost miraculously, they seemed to have found a pretty good QB, but they are going into the bye 3–4.

It's weird, it's hard to pinpoint exactly where it's going wrong. Injuries seem like the easiest answer; certainly, the Bills would have beaten Jacksonville if Tyrod was healthy.

But somewhat more frustratingly, the defense has regressed, despite having mostly the same personnel from last year. It's still probably a top 10 unit, but last year it was arguably #2. Though the cornerbacks are unexpectedly playing lights out, the most expensive defensive line in football has been pretty pedestrian. Is it all scheme? Bad luck? Is Ryan just a mediocre coordinator?

-----

The Bills will probably need to finish 7–2 for a wildcard slot. I don't expect them to drop any more games against the dregs of the league like they did yesterday (assuming Taylor gets and stay healthy), but they don't have many dregs left. The Chiefs, Texans, and maybe Washington should (SHOULD) be surefire wins, but then they also play the Jets twice, the Patriots again, the Campbell Dolphins, the Eagles, and a presumably healthy Cowboys. I don't see them going anything above .500 against that slate.

In conclusion, I hate our loving bullshit division and I hate the Bills.

It's another year, another missed playoffs. I'm personally putting it at the feet of Rex and Dennis Thurman. The defense should be miles ahead of where it is now.

Plus, despite what the Pats would have you believe, a single good QB a good offfensive team does not make. We need more than just Tyrod. He's good, but he's not carry-the-team good.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

SlipUp posted:

It's not like things are any better when you don't blitz at all.
Basically. Everyone already knows Brady is the best QB ever. There are no rules of thumb playing against him but blitzing him has been marginally more effective this year than not.

Nov 6, 2002

Also I haven't heard anyone mention how awful Weatherford was (I reeeeallly enjoyed seeing him struggle) and how badly he screwed the Jets over and over.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Ozu posted:

You should toss in a KISS THE RINGS, BRADY GOAT and complete the :patssay: daily double.

It is known league-wide that Brady cannot be beaten by edge pressure. It has to be interior pressure.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

We prefer to loving call him a bowling ball in a uni or "The Toldozer".

Because of Key & Peele, my friends and I call him "Fudge".

e: This sketch...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1nGjGM2p8

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

NC-17 posted:

Also I haven't heard anyone mention how awful Weatherford was (I reeeeallly enjoyed seeing him struggle) and how badly he screwed the Jets over and over.
Starting field position was a major issue. I guess you can't plan to have your starting punter develop a shin infection the day before the game and have to resort to hiring a guy literally on commercial break from ESPNRadio.

Nov 6, 2002

Every team has a shortlist of emergency replacements for most positions. I'd be curious to see who else was on the Jets' punter list because clearly Weatherford was not in game shape either physically or mentally.

quote:

Steve Weatherford says he was totally unprepared for Jets-New England Patriots ... and it showed

After the Giants cut Weatherford, he pretty much stopped punting, and moved on with his life.

"I punted three times over the past six weeks," Weatherford said after Sunday's loss. "The last time I punted was last Sunday, in a park [in Tenafly] with my 7-year-old throwing me snaps."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

NC-17 posted:

Every team has a shortlist of emergency replacements for most positions. I'd be curious to see who else was on the Jets' punter list because clearly Weatherford was not in game shape either physically or mentally.

It's weirdly nice to see guys who aren't killing themselves for football. :unsmith:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ozu posted:

Starting field position was a major issue. I guess you can't plan to have your starting punter develop a shin infection the day before the game and have to resort to hiring a guy literally on commercial break from ESPNRadio.

The Jets' ST have been utter crap all season.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
OK, I can't sustain being a dick to Jets fans just for the sake of it. With Rex gone my heart isn't in it.

Serious chat, the Jets have looked about a trillion times better under Todd Bowles just across the board. Even the Good Rex Jets teams felt just kind of dumb as poo poo, and I'm just not getting that feeling from the Jets anymore, even after a game that ended pretty ugly for them. I don't know how sustainable Fitzmagic is but he's basically in peak "This is what you hope Fitzmagic will be like" form too. It's not even halfway through the season, but as a Jets fan I'd be pretty happy with how quickly the team flipped from a clown show to looking like a competent organization.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Weatherford apparently got the call to join the Jets right as his radio show was about to start, so rushed through the call so he could do the show.

Nov 6, 2002

The Jets missed the perfect excuse to go for it on every 4th down!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
That game was an utter embarrassment. I'm glad I was watching my best friend get married instead of glued to a TV.

Everyone was bad. The Raiders were running the same screen pass all day and we just had no answer for it. Tackling was awful. Offense was awful. Rivers was awful. Everyone was bad, which is some combination of what's been going on all year and the Raiders just being more prepared and being a better team.

Good for you guys, Oakland fans

Nov 6, 2002

Danny Woodhead was good!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Rivers looked really off in the first half, and the Chargers have nothing else going on if Rivers isn't Rivers.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

OxySnake posted:

You can always look at it in the long term positive. The Titans are a better tam then there record. Which means next year when whisenhunt gets fired you will get a top 20 pick, and with the usual regression to the mean you could be looking at a huge improvement next year.

I refuse to be optimistic about anything related to the Titans till whiz is fired

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It's another year, another missed playoffs. I'm personally putting it at the feet of Rex and Dennis Thurman. The defense should be miles ahead of where it is now.

Plus, despite what the Pats would have you believe, a single good QB a good offfensive team does not make. We need more than just Tyrod. He's good, but he's not carry-the-team good.

It's just really hard to assess this team right now, and honestly even kind of hard to assess the job Rex is doing. The expectation still seems to be that the team is all about playing near-perfect defense while the offense does just enough via long, punishing, pound-the-rock type drives, but that's not at all what's happening.

The fact is, the offense is actually pretty good! The offensive line is playing about average right now and even without Taylor, Manuel has been able to move the ball better than Orton did last season. We still haven't really seen it at full strength since Week 1 (and even then McCoy was clearly ailing).

As far as I can tell, Rex and Roman are responsible for Tyrod, the rebuilding of our offensive line, and coaching up our CBs like crazy. But then, the team gets penalized like crazy, the pass rush has vanished, and the defense is unable to generate turnovers.

Just, like, the exact opposite of expectations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ya'll watch the reporter's face when jerry jones says hardy is a real leader

https://twitter.com/gonzoCSN/status/658663133108707328

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

Rivers looked really off in the first half, and the Chargers have nothing else going on if Rivers isn't Rivers.

Shelvin' Melvin Gordon.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Wow 15 million people watched a Bills Jags game on the interwebs. I wonder how many knock off Jags jerseys China is making right now.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So who is the actually good QB more wasted my their dumb franchise, Rivers or Romo?

Nov 6, 2002

Well Rivers has been to the post season several times so easily Romo.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Chargers are probably toast at this point. Currently 14th in the AFC and their line is all 2nd and 3rd stringers.

@RapSheet
Another #Chargers injury: Big money guard Orlando Franklin is believed to have injured his MCL, source said. MRI today to see how severe.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The Washington football team made me happy for the first time in years.

Was a good Sunday.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ozu posted:

The Chargers are probably toast at this point. Currently 14th in the AFC and their line is all 2nd and 3rd stringers.

@RapSheet
Another #Chargers injury: Big money guard Orlando Franklin is believed to have injured his MCL, source said. MRI today to see how severe.

And their Offense is still wayyyy better then their defense.

I really thought they'd be a wild card team this year.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

sean10mm posted:

So who is the actually good QB more wasted my their dumb franchise, Rivers or Romo?

The correct answer is Matt Ryan, who appears to have completely broken now. It's 3 weeks in a row now of poo poo QB play against inferior opponents with bad secondaries, and now I think he's just loving lost it.

Nov 6, 2002

Rich Cimini‏@RichCimini
Pats dropped back to pass on 90.9 pct of offensive plays vs Jets, highest percentage of any team in past 10 seasons. Whoa.

I thought this was going to be the game where they went run heavy :lol:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
the Chargers need to do some serious soul searching and put some money and draft picks into both lines of scrimmage. This team has drafted one offensive lineman in the first round in the last 30 years. And they continue to run a 3-4 defense when they haven't had a true nose tackle since Jamal Williams. Corey Liuget is good, but no one else on that line is anything special.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Chilichimp posted:

The correct answer is Matt Ryan, who appears to have completely broken now. It's 3 weeks in a row now of poo poo QB play against inferior opponents with bad secondaries, and now I think he's just loving lost it.

2012 was obviously the Falcons' year to get a ring, they'll never get that close again probably.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Ehud posted:

ya'll watch the reporter's face when jerry jones says hardy is a real leader

https://twitter.com/gonzoCSN/status/658663133108707328

Jerry Jones should have prefaced that statement with "trigger warning".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Romo has had multiple hall of famers and all pros to throw to his entire career.

AJ Smith let Vincent Jackson go and replaced him with robert meachem and traded up for Ryan Matthews.

• Locked thread