Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Like that but overseas, in groups of 20+, for security *reasons*.

Yeah 33 white dudes over 5'10" in polos and khaki shorts spilling out of a couple of 15-pax vans really blend in well with the local 5'6" Arabic population wearing LA Lakers jerseys and Hugo Boss poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Boon posted:

So the sailor arrives at the gate. Then what? Walk? The gate is FAR from the piers in both San Diego and Norfolk because those bases are huge. What happens if the sailor gets dropped off on dry-side 32nd street in SD where all the housing and schools are instead of on the ship-side? Why would you expect that sailor to know the difference?

Just want to chime in and say that I had to take one of my ATs in San Diego, the only address on the orders was to the Base, not the Training Building, or specific side, just the generic google loving maps address to the gate. Obviously you know how big 32nd street is with wet/dry side, I got lost hardfuckin core. Luckily one of my friends took the course a month ago, and they told him it was moving to the the building next to the gas station on wet-side. That was all the info I got. Once AT ended, the instructor told us, that next month it will be taken at FITCPAC and to tell our commands.

Also, Got my orders finally again in FT Meade, so yaaay getting paid again. Should be getting my PCS move out here next month, any recommendations for areas to look into? We have our eye on some townhomes, but could always use some input from people who have lived here.

squarerandom fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 21, 2015

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

squarerandom posted:

Just want to chime in and say that I had to take one of my ATs in San Diego, the only address on the orders was to the Base, not the Training Building, or specific side, just the generic google loving maps address to the gate. Obviously you know how big 32nd street is with wet/dry side, I got lost hardfuckin core. Luckily one of my friends took the course a month ago, and they told him it was moving to the the building next to the gas station on wet-side. That was all the info I got. Once AT ended, the instructor told us, that next month it will be taken at FITCPAC and to tell our commands.

Took us forever to find FITCPAC on one TAD. Who the hell put it there?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I love how most classes have a few hours of dead time the first day, under the assumption that people will be getting lost trying to find the right building.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I once got sent to school in SD the morning of the class starting (because ship admin is always terrible). The airline lost my baggage, I didn't have a rental, and I showed up on dry-side 32nd trying to find the right school house.

School was in Point Loma.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I love how most classes have a few hours of dead time the first day, under the assumption that people will be getting lost trying to find the right building.

WED: PC problems, class cancelled at 0900
THUR: PC Problems, class cancelled at 0900
FRI: Instructor had to help Corry Station with something, class cancelled at 0800
MON: Holiday - no class
TUE: Instructor had to go to medical, class cancelled at 1200
WED: Class till 1200, instructor was bored
THUR: PC Problems, class cancelled at 0900
FRI: login, print name on certificate, pass the class! WOOO

That was my last AT for a course that everyone got lost at. Also the class was late added at the building, so no one believed me until about 5 other people asked about the class.

Laranzu posted:

Took us forever to find FITCPAC on one TAD. Who the hell put it there?

FITCPAC is pretty easy, there is at least a sign in front of the building and you just have to drive up harbor pretty slow once you past the airport. Hell, trying to find a room in the NSA buildings are like a goddamn labyrinth that always starts with "Okay, so go past the taco bell, then [words become a loud distant echo from this point on]

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

squarerandom posted:

Also, Got my orders finally again in FT Meade, so yaaay getting paid again. Should be getting my PCS move out here next month, any recommendations for areas to look into? We have our eye on some townhomes, but could always use some input from people who have lived here.

I've lived in Odenton and Crofton, and have been out to peoples' places in Glen Burnie, Pasadena, Jessup, and Columbia.

If I had to rank most nice to least nice it would be:
Columbia
Pasadena
Crofton
Jessup
Odenton
Glen Burnie

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Sir Lucius posted:

I've lived in Odenton and Crofton, and have been out to peoples' places in Glen Burnie, Pasadena, Jessup, and Columbia.

Columbia
Pasadena
Crofton
Jessup
Odenton
Glen Burnie

I'd also put Laurel and Bowie below Burnie unless you're just looking for a really cheap place to get your laundry stolen.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Godholio posted:

Like that but overseas, in groups of 20+, for security *reasons*.

Yeah 33 white dudes over 5'10" in polos and khaki shorts spilling out of a couple of 15-pax vans really blend in well with the local 5'6" Arabic population wearing LA Lakers jerseys and Hugo Boss poo poo.

I have relatives who travel overseas through the various big middle east airports, and they complain that "American Secret Agents" are everywhere, and they show cellphone pictures of people who are like that, I don't know who they are fooling, its super obvious, unless its more of a anti knifing defensive maneuver.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Ryand-Smith posted:

I have relatives who travel overseas through the various big middle east airports, and they complain that "American Secret Agents" are everywhere, and they show cellphone pictures of people who are like that, I don't know who they are fooling, its super obvious, unless its more of a anti knifing defensive maneuver.

How did becoming a Warlord work out? I didn't see the follow up on that farm and it's child soldi-- your new employees.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

It is running well, we had a good harvest and its profitable which is nice, but now the big discussion is tourism and we have to build an airstrip and helipad, so I am having to spec that out.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Sir Lucius posted:

Columbia
Pasadena
Crofton
Jessup
Odenton
Glen Burnie

Thirded.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They changed up my orders again. Now I'm going to the G-Dub. :gonk:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Anita Dickinme posted:

The Spirit of Freedom

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Anita Dickinme posted:

You asked for this. This is what you wanted.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
First phone interview for a big boy job in a half an hour. I assume I'll gently caress it up by freezing and yelling the Sailor's Creed or something.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Ryand-Smith posted:

It is running well, we had a good harvest and its profitable which is nice, but now the big discussion is tourism and we have to build an airstrip and helipad, so I am having to spec that out.

Id hate to be your security manager.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

First phone interview for a big boy job in a half an hour. I assume I'll gently caress it up by freezing and yelling the Sailor's Creed or something.

Just don't be a douche and you'll be fine. Imagine it as if you got people that weren't dumb enough to enlist under you, but you can't yell at them when they gently caress up otherwise you get a bunch of complaints.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Man i forgot the sailors creed before boot grad ceremony was over. Do we really ever have to recite it again?

I've always been bad with song and poem lyrics.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

LingcodKilla posted:

Man i forgot the sailors creed before boot grad ceremony was over. Do we really ever have to recite it again?

I walked by a bunch of seconds and thirds a couple weeks ago trying to memorize it outside of a conference room before they went to a board.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

For boards and at training commands.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Id hate to be your security manager.

I can't be that bad, we have like 4 Iranians, Combat systems might as well be the African Union, we have several ROC nationals who lived there for 10+ years.. our ship is a giant multicultural fun place.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

PneumonicBook posted:

For boards and at training commands.

And most mornings if your incompetent 2nd class is a closet motivator (in that he's terrible at his actual job and has no common sense but is Joe Navy in every other aspect)

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

And most mornings if your incompetent 2nd class is a closet motivator (in that he's terrible at his actual job and has no common sense but is Joe Navy in every other aspect)

On my ship everyone recites the sailors creed at the All Hands on Fridays. I just stand there and kind of look around because a: I am not a sailor and b: I don't know the words.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

if you were any lower a rank they'd yell at you for not being at POA

they did it every morning on ship (the department not ship itself)

Motard filip Chiefs and all that

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

if you were any lower a rank they'd yell at you for not being at POA

they did it every morning on ship (the department not ship itself)

Motard filip Chiefs and all that

Everyone stands at attention for the creed though.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I don't remember ever reciting the Sailor's Creed or singing Anchors Aweigh after basic.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mad Dragon posted:

I don't remember ever reciting the Sailor's Creed or singing Anchors Aweigh after basic.

The chief selectees have to sing it :chiefsay:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Our over-moto new ENS DIVO had us try it at quarters last month and then got all pissed off because she could tell people didn't know it or were mouthing it.

Sorry we didn't all just come straight from Navy Hogwarts and work at an Army command.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Analogical posted:

Our over-moto new ENS DIVO had us try it at quarters last month and then got all pissed off because she could tell people didn't know it or were mouthing it.

Sorry we didn't all just come straight from Navy Hogwarts and work at an Army command.

I was never taught it in ROTC and never learned it since. Whenever it was recited, I just moved my mouth in mumbled things.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Same. I once had to get on a stage and mouth it because I got randomly drawn out. It was obvious I had no idea.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
My company, as a group, just failed our dress blue inspection. I don't know how we did it, but once again the Seabees prove that "Can Do!" spirit by showing up looking like they just rolled around in cat hair and with neckerchiefs that didn't have the correct knot.

I know the creed and all three verses of "Anchors Aweigh", but that's because I am from the same school of being a total covert moto fag that Mr. Nice! is from

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

maffew buildings posted:

My company, as a group, just failed our dress blue inspection. I don't know how we did it, but once again the Seabees prove that "Can Do!" spirit by showing up looking like they just rolled around in cat hair and with neckerchiefs that didn't have the correct knot.

my besty used to be stationed at Mugu, and I loved going up to his place when he lived on base because the base's showpieces (he lived at Hueneme) at the front gate instead of like a static displayed Fighter Jet or some badass old Naval Guns was some raggedy old construction equipment and a hideous bee statue

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
That Bee will loving rape you.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
with the wrench or with the giant power dildo

On the other hand with Seabees, I had this old master chief who was a seabee who was cool as gently caress. The loving coolest sea stories: He joined the Navy in 1960, lying about his birthday because he was only 16. His first four years were as a BM where he once got knocked the gently caress out with one punch by a female marine and later did 4 tours in Vietnam after taking the exam to be a builder. In 1970 he was running around the jungle with a 12-man CAT team building firebases for Army SF and poo poo. He said Marvin Shields was a dick. Also they ate a giant python.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Plz add to OP

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Analogical posted:

Sorry we didn't all just come straight from Navy Hogwarts

lmbo

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Sr Chief, I just got off the phone with IT, the servers are down and there's no scheduled time for them to come backup. It was an unexpected server maintenance.

HMM okay...call the IT's get a eta for when the servers will be back up and email the SWO.

Uh, okay roger that Sr chief.

:haw:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
My SIPR token died a few weeks ago. All I need to do to replace it is go over to the CIS desk during one of two service hours, monday-thursday, when their system isn't down, and the one guy who can do it isn't out of the office. So far each of my visits has met one of those criteria separately; sooner or later the stars will align and I'll actually be able to get it replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I drove through Fallon and my god what a terrible place to have to live. It was like the twin to Mountain Home complete with random giant sand dune several miles away.

• Locked thread