Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

I have the word associated with a story in which a woman talks to a guy about a book she wrote, and he immediately proceeds to explain the book to her. And it takes her friend saying "She wrote that book dumbass" to get him to stop explaining her own book to her

IDK if she came up with the term or it's just a legit example of the word's original intended use

he should have said "DEATH OF THE AUTHOR BITCH"

then she would be his

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
It's when the movie scientist/hacker rattles off some technical lingo and the dumb chunkhead of a hero interrupts with "whoa! in english, please"

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

i' like mansturbating

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

ElGroucho posted:

There should be a womansplain term

Like when I get home and my wife talks to me for 1 hour straight about all her coworkers that I don't care about, all her lovely petty little issues that are unimportant, and all her worries and woes that are just piled on to my, (very private and personal!) plate of issues

I just want to get home and do the goddamn crossword

lock yourself in the den

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It's when you try to explain the difference between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation to a woman while she rambles on about how microwaves will kill you.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
my favorite use of the "-splaining" suffix is "whitesplaining".

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

i like "comsplaining" which is when you complain about something while also explaining what it is

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Panniculus Rift posted:

i like "comsplaining" which is when you complain about something while also explaining what it is

example plz

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

I have the word associated with a story in which a woman talks to a guy about a book she wrote, and he immediately proceeds to explain the book to her. And it takes her friend saying "She wrote that book dumbass" to get him to stop explaining her own book to her

IDK if she came up with the term or it's just a legit example of the word's original intended use

Its this.

She tries to tell him she wrote it and he just steamrolls ahead because obviously she doesn't know what she's talking about

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Its this.

She tries to tell him she wrote it and he just steamrolls ahead because obviously she doesn't know what she's talking about

Is this story real or just a self-righteous fantasy for people who use the word

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Well, ya dumb broad, I'll try but I dont think you can comprehend because you're a woman.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

City of Tampa posted:

my favorite use of the "-splaining" suffix is "whitesplaining".

Tell someone about a spleen?
Spleensplaining

Tell someone about planes?
Planesplaining

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Moltke posted:

Is this story real or just a self-righteous fantasy for people who use the word

It sounds like a "And that woman's name?" type story

What kind of wet noodle lets some neckbeard loser steamroll her in a conversation anyway

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Its when you trim your pubes I think :confused:

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
Just think of any domestic conversation about dirty underwear storage or dish/sink policy and reverse the genitals OP.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

ElGroucho posted:

It sounds like a "And that woman's name?" type story

What kind of wet noodle lets some neckbeard loser steamroll her in a conversation anyway

Rebecca Solnit

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
its related to the taint

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The experience of someone who thinks they're an expert in everything and won't shut the gently caress up even when talking to a legitimate expert on the subject they are rambling about is pretty universal. I know this because I'm an expert in everything.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
it is when men complain about dumb poo poo that nobody cares about but them

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Getting something explained to you that you already know sounds like one of those things that happens to everyone in everyday life that you have to learn how to deal with rather than just getting indignant about and filling yourself with seething anger acting like everyone else has a problem.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

ElGroucho posted:

There should be a womansplain term

Like when I get home and my wife talks to me for 1 hour straight about all her coworkers that I don't care about, all her lovely petty little issues that are unimportant, and all her worries and woes that are just piled on to my, (very private and personal!) plate of issues

I just want to get home and do the goddamn crossword

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748361

You should join all us cool dudes in this thread.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Moltke posted:

Getting something explained to you that you already know sounds like one of those things that happens to everyone in everyday life that you have to learn how to deal with rather than just getting indignant about and filling yourself with seething anger acting like everyone else has a problem.

i think it's the subset of this that happens when a person with a penis thinks a person with a vagina is mentally stunted bc of said vagina

if you don't have a vagina you may not realize this is a pretty common stance for people with penises to have.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i also suspect that people with vaginas have been dealing with this for longer than recorded history, and probably not becoming indignant or full of seething anger so much as deepening in a superhuman wealth of patience. that they get indignant or seethingly angry every hundredth time it happens probably shouldn't be held against them.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Its this.

and this is something all men does and no women or what is the deal here

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
i mean I declare people (men and women) idiot children all the tiume but they (men and women) also do the same to me so I guess we're even

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the dumb poo poo endlessly dribbling out of your dad's mouth into your mom's ear is probably what gave her the patience to raise you, lol. the circle of life.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

Applewhite posted:

Don't worry your pretty little head about it.

:boom:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the real problem w gay and lesbian parents is that they don't have this disparity in mental function to generate patience in relation to the verifiably retarded things kids think say and do.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

nomadologique posted:

i think it's the subset of this that happens when a person with a penis thinks a person with a vagina is mentally stunted bc of said vagina

if you don't have a vagina you may not realize this is a pretty common stance for people with penises to have.

what happens if the vagina is theoretical

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

in that case you will definitely need a penis to theorize it.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's when someone is confidentially wrong about something, but they're so confident and insistent about it that it bends the fabric of reality and becomes true. This is the hidden power of Man.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

put your penis in a hole. is there a hole anymore? i don't think so!

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Haha honey bet you only WISH you could get mans to splain to you :boom:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Its this.

Yeah that's what it hinges on: if the dude is doing it cause "poor little lady doesn't have the capacity for nuanced understandings".

Some people do that kind of stuff because they're just loving smartass nerdy fucks.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

some people do it bc they're condescending pricks to everyone.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nomadologique posted:

i also suspect that people with vaginas have been dealing with this for longer than recorded history, and probably not becoming indignant or full of seething anger so much as deepening in a superhuman wealth of patience. that they get indignant or seethingly angry every hundredth time it happens probably shouldn't be held against them.

So this is an actual example of mansplaining?

Moltke
May 13, 2009

nomadologique posted:

In the example that has been cited, the explainee's complaint is that she infers from the focused look on the mansplainer's face that he thinks he's superior to her and not just some autistic dude talking about the trains he likes (or a normal guy talking about the trains he likes). Maybe you could cite another example that fits that narrow subset you've defined that doesn't rely on having a 6th sense for intent.

e- I'm sure that there really are jerks like this in the world, but learning to deal with narcissists is part of living on the earth. These sorts of people are psychologically incapable of learning. We can only wait for them to die and hope that more aren't being made to take their place.

Moltke fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 26, 2015

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Wow, vilifying someone for showing a genuine enthusiasm for her work. That's pretty hosed up.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
"vagenying": when a woman doesn't know poo poo about a specific topic but won't let anyone explain it to her because she thinks that not being assumed to know every detail of every possible topic is somehow degrading to her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

ElGroucho posted:

It's some poo poo women came up with

Basically, they got tired of being hella wrong all the time, having wrong rear end opinions and then being corrected, so they came up with this concept that makes it somehow sexist to point out how lacking their knowledge is

HTH OP

You're wrong, actually.

• Locked thread