Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Obama is a threat both foreign and domestic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

ErIog posted:

The response you usually get about stuff like this is, "compared to what my old man did to me these kids are getting off light!" While that may actually be literally true, it's still difficult to convince them that they should have aspired to something more than "slightly better than how I was raised."

There's also people who just internalized everything they were told as a child to the point of convincing themselves that they deserved that physical abuse and that their children also deserve to be physically abused. As a former teacher I understand the blood-boiling rage that can come from dealing with children, but hitting a child, to me, is an admission that the person let a child get the better of them.

One of my moms stories is how she was told that she couldn't be a doctor at like age 7 when she REALLY wanted to be a Doctor, it wasn't just your usual "what I wanna be when I grow up" thing.

My granddad's answer was generally "just because baby". :psyduck:

Sometimes I wonder if there are people out there right now telling their kids the same thing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fat Samurai posted:

You're supposed to empathize with the Ewoks, who managed to beat criminals and/or a totalitarian US army, not sure who the Empire because they didn't allow Obama their tribal leaders to take away their guns spears and rocks.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 26, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Haha that's great I can't wait to have kids.

"I want to grow up to be President, daddy"
"You're gonna grow up to drop out of grad school and be a 40-year-old barista who sells his body on the side to make money, and I'm gonna grow up to be a man too ashamed of his son to live" *knocks back bottom-shelf bourbon*

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
When a coworker asked me about spanking and I said I wouldn't do it if I had kids, he said "heh well wait till you're a parent, THEN you'll see you don't have a choice :smug: " which annoys the poo poo out of me because my brother and his wife raise their kids without spanking them by using time out as their form of discipline. And so far, the kids respect that.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, and what's the crime rate on Alderaan now? :smuggo:

1 (war) crime / 0 Alderaan = Infinity Crime.

Checkmate. :smug:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Fat Samurai posted:

You're supposed to empathize with the Ewoks, who managed to beat criminals and/or a totalitarian US army, not sure who the Empire because they didn't allow Obama their tribal leaders to take away their guns spears and rocks.

I actually wrote a paper for a Cold War history class comparing the actions of 20th century America to the Empire. There are a surprising amount of parallels!

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

seiferguy posted:

When a coworker asked me about spanking and I said I wouldn't do it if I had kids, he said "heh well wait till you're a parent, THEN you'll see you don't have a choice :smug: " which annoys the poo poo out of me because my brother and his wife raise their kids without spanking them by using time out as their form of discipline. And so far, the kids respect that.

My standard response to this is "Really? You couldn't find any other way to handle your kid?" which usually gets them flustered enough to just go "WELL WAIT TILL YOU HAVE KIDS!" and drop it. My hope is that it makes them think about if there really was another way to handle it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hopefully. Sometimes people tell me "sometimes you just don't have a choice" and all you can say is "you ALWAYS have a choice."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Scruff McGruff posted:

My standard response to this is "Really? You couldn't find any other way to handle your kid?" which usually gets them flustered enough to just go "WELL WAIT TILL YOU HAVE KIDS!" and drop it. My hope is that it makes them think about if there really was another way to handle it.

It's funny because the person who argues this with me explains that the kids will grow up with a little respect, then in the same breath will lament that his two sons haven't amounted to anything and are jobless and living at home with no ambition. Apparently one of them called child protective services because of his spanking once, which has only made him dig in his heels as to why he should spank.

He then told me of a story where a female friend of her started dating a new guy, and her daughter didn't like this new boyfriend, so she told police that he raped her to try and get rid of the boyfriend. He said that the daughter didn't respect the mom but apparently some good spanking would have changed that?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Scruff McGruff posted:

I have a three year old, and time outs work wonders, especially if you are consistent.

Spanking is just an excuse for old world traditions that presume children are unable to understand anything but the threat of imminent violence.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I could swear that at some point at least one goon did some spanking-apologia because Calvin's dad spanked him once.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I could swear that at some point at least one goon did some spanking-apologia because Calvin's dad spanked him once.

I recall that. I remember being surprised because I'd always thought that--in the strip in question-- Calvin's butt hurt from being in time-out so long.

I didn't even consider spanking until it was pointed out to me.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Klaus88 posted:

One of my moms stories is how she was told that she couldn't be a doctor at like age 7 when she REALLY wanted to be a Doctor, it wasn't just your usual "what I wanna be when I grow up" thing.

My granddad's answer was generally "just because baby". :psyduck:

I really hope your mom is a doctor. :ohdear:

StealthArcher posted:

1 (war) crime / 0 Alderaan = Infinity Crime.

Checkmate. :smug:

Dividing by zero is a logical impossibility! (I enjoy the Siri explanation about how you can't divide up cookies among your zero friends.) However, it is worth noting that the limit of any positive value over x as x approaches zero is infinity, so, you know, close enough for horseshoes.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
So apparently there's a thing where conservatives thing Steve Jobs bombed at the box office because Seth Rogen called Ben Carson "despicable" for the whole bonkers thing he was saying about the how if the Jews had guns the holocaust wouldn't have happened. Which seems to be ignoring the fact that everything bombed this weekend.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Mellow Seas posted:

I really hope your mom is a doctor. :ohdear:

Nope. Any more detail then that is E/N bullshit though.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

People these days, always in a hurry. Also look at these dumb cars today, back in my day if we'd crashed like that the car wouldn't have had a scratch on it (and I'd have been plastered all over the insides of it instead of walking away relatively unharmed), who needs these dumb things like airbags and seatbelts and crumple zones.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Built like tanks. :what: Yeah, water tanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Scruff McGruff posted:

People these days, always in a hurry. Also look at these dumb cars today, back in my day if we'd crashed like that the car wouldn't have had a scratch on it (and I'd have been plastered all over the insides of it instead of walking away relatively unharmed), who needs these dumb things like airbags and seatbelts and crumple zones.

/\/\/\ Edit: loving hell, beat me to it.

I wonder how those tank cars helped you survive-oh wait
Yeah, clearly we're gigantic pussies for wanting safer anything nowadays :rolleyes:

'Back in mah day if we got in a auto-mo-beel ak-see-dent, we were lucky if we survived. We got death and we LIKED it!' :bahgawd:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The ones who didn't survive aren't currently reposting stupid Facebook memes.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The comments of ":qq: you destroyed a classic car :qq: " are delicious to me, for some reason.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

:stare:

Fuckin A, where the hell does the myth of indestructible old automobiles come from? That 59 Malibu got obliterated :lol:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They are big and ugly hunks of metal so obviously they must be really difficult to smash.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

seiferguy posted:

The comments of ":qq: you destroyed a classic car :qq: " are delicious to me, for some reason.

:qq: "It doesn't have an engine in it, the test is rigged!" :qq:

God it's pathetic how desperately they cling to anything (regardless of whether it's true or not) that lets them ignore what they're seeing.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 26, 2015

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

lol at the comments on that video.

quote:

The Malibu is actually more dangerous because anybody driving it would die of boredom. At least the Bel Air has character, but I am glad they didn't ruin a '57!

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I love that video because of the amounts of 9/11 truther lengths people go to try and hand wave away that cars today are more safe. "Clearly the Bel Air had it's engine removed, clearly they just repainted a rusted out junkyard chassis, IT WAS A CONTROLLED DEMOLITION, HOW DID CAR 7 ALSO CRASH?!"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Scruff McGruff posted:

my father in law keeps saying this crap when i strap my kid into her car seat. i just want to ask him to go find someone who didn't survive and ask them what they think

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

God it's pathetic how desperately they cling to anything (regardless of whether it's true or not) that lets them ignore what they're seeing.

"Because a hunk of iron held by two engine mounts makes all the difference!"

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
The Fairly Oddparents cartoon, of all things, made fun of the safety standards of classec cars referring them as "screaming metal deathtraps".

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

God it's pathetic how desperately they cling to anything that lets them ignore what they're seeing.

I always have to wonder if these people have actually ever looked at any of these cars in person. My buddy owns a '65 Mustang, everything in it is basically from the factory with little to no modifications in it. Under the front hood it's literally an engine hanging precariously with empty space all around it. Here's a decent enough picture showing how easy it is to see the road, something pretty much impossible on cars today. http://mycarquest.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Screen-Shot-2012-12-31-at-4.14.21-PM.png

As a two-fer, to go back to participation trophies because people who whine about this piss me off and seem to hate children, MST3K made fun of a junior rodeo from the 50s and it stuck with me because even in a small, southern, cow-poke town in the 50s before the hippies took over, they gave out participation trophies (around the 8:20 mark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--gEJCaF73g.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Popular Thug Drink posted:

my father in law keeps saying this crap when i strap my kid into her car seat. i just want to ask him to go find someone who didn't survive and ask them what they think

A lot of people don't realize we developed these safety features not for our own mistakes but just in case everyone else around us acts like complete idiots.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 26, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Krogan posted:

lol at the comments on that video.

I now want a video series where classic cars are tossed via trebuchet into the vat of molten metal from Terminator 2.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radish posted:

I now want a video series where classic cars are tossed via trebuchet into the vat of molten metal from Terminator 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwW33jJC_Ss

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Awesome

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Joshmo posted:

As a two-fer, to go back to participation trophies because people who whine about this piss me off and seem to hate children, MST3K made fun of a junior rodeo from the 50s and it stuck with me because even in a small, southern, cow-poke town in the 50s before the hippies took over, they gave out participation trophies (around the 8:20 mark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--gEJCaF73g.

I always like "so you're blaming kids for accepting trophies that you forced on them?"

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Thump! posted:

:stare:

Fuckin A, where the hell does the myth of indestructible old automobiles come from? That 59 Malibu got obliterated :lol:

The construction of cars Back In The Day meant that the bodies were sturdier up until the point that something in the structure buckled, so in crashes under 15 mph you often saw little to no serious damage to the car, and all the force was transferred basically into the passenger cabin, where the driver generally came out with a serious concussion (if not worse) because they were wearing a 2 point harness and slammed into the steering wheel at 15 miles an hour, but the car itself would be fine. However, if anything buckled in the frame, the whole thing would fold up like a soda can, and you best hope in a crash much faster than, say, 25 mph, was that the engine block pushed the steering column into your head hard enough to snap your neck and kill you instantly.

That and the general idea that "Plastic is weak" and "metal is strong" mixes with the general nostalgia and there you go.

But, to be real, cars are phenomenally safer nowadays. Traffic fatalities were five times in the 60s compared to what they are today.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I always like "so you're blaming kids for accepting trophies that you forced on them?"

I like to give them the benefit of the doubt. My co-worker whose kids are as old as I am played for a locally produced album, and one of the songs is called "Trophies," and it's about participation awards, but I said "at first I thought it was blaming the kids but then I realized it's just about the culture that created the awards," and he concurred. There's also something to be said about how cheaply trophies can be made, and how people prize them above the actual satisfaction of doing something well in its own right, though that's probably overstated as well.

I don't think it's that big a deal, though. People are motivated by recognition of their efforts, and the kids do know that the participation award is just a token that says "you tried," and that the other awards are better and what they want. I'd wager that it helps a lot of kids not give up on extra-curriculars just because they're not better at the thing than the 3 most talented kids wherever they live. Otherwise the message can easily come off as "don't bother if you're not the best"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
At age 9 when I got a little league participation trophy, it was a nice gesture, but I knew where my team stood in the standings. My favorite trophy was the one that said "1st Place" because it felt earned.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Anyway,

You might be able to guess what's on the bottom half of the Fry image, but I'm gonna put it in spoilers for timing reasons. We're talking about a website called "youngcons" that thinks this meme is very incisive and nullifies police brutality.

...why do so many of you kill each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In addition to what's already been said about participation trophies, consider that kids' validation comes mostly from their peers, not teachers, coaches, or parents. And even in a no-stakes game during gym class where the teacher barely bothers to keep score, kids will still point and laugh and call you a fag when you mess up.

So don't worry, adults, your kids are still getting beat up and fun is still being sucked out of their games!