Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh, maybe, I thought it was that it was just that it was impossible for them to laser everything to death. In any case, by Halo 4 it was retconned so they aren't all actually dead.

Yeah the retcon was that they didn't literally turn a planet's surface to glass - that was ONI propaganda - they just did orbital bombardment to wipe out most of the population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
See your talking about the story when all I remember from halo is 3 shotting noobs and sword killamanjaros

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

McDowell posted:

Yeah the retcon was that they didn't literally turn a planet's surface to glass - that was ONI propaganda - they just did orbital bombardment to wipe out most of the population.

How do they explain away the literal shards of planet-glass seen hanging in High Charity in Halo 2, then?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Vile posted:

See your talking about the story when all I remember from halo is 3 shotting noobs and sword killamanjaros

Halo 3 = the tinny beeping of the mongoose before it runs you over.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

jivjov posted:

How do they explain away the literal shards of planet-glass seen hanging in High Charity in Halo 2, then?

Where is this? I've never noticed it before and it sounds awesome.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Vile posted:

See your talking about the story when all I remember from halo is 3 shotting noobs and sword killamanjaros spending hours on Forge doing nothing else

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
The best thing ever in halo was the Halo 3 Beta land mines. They'd stick to vehicles and blow up after a little bit.

I was on the other team as a group of friends. 2 of them were tooling around on a mongoose, and I threw a land mine at them as they drove by, it stuck to the wheel.

They keep going forward when all of a sudden another 2 friends on mongoose turn the corner, right as the mine goes off.

Overkill

It was glorious

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

I remember that being mentioned in 'First Strike' but I don't remember seeing it in 2. They do turn some parts of the planet into glass (like cities) the retcon was that they didn't do it to 100% of the surface.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

When the Covenant said they completely scorched everything and humanity was lamenting about nearly all human life and colonies being exterminated, they were both lying because the Covenant can't do that and were using scare tactics and humanity is really stupid and didn't notice that the Covenant can't do that and also I guess everyone saying "hey we're not dead they only took potshots at a continent or two send help", so when the big space navy that was every remaining human ship got blown up in Halo 3 except half of a frigate, they just didn't see all their other shipyards and navies around the corner. Afterwards, they made an extra jumbo sized one that it didn't occur to them to build earlier.

No, really. To be fair to 343 though the "you can't actually glass every colony completely" part of the retcon came about in Reach.

Reach may not have been literally and totally turned to glass but it's still pretty clear from the game and the book that as far as being a military stronghold and major centre of commerce the place had been smashed to poo poo enough to be a write off at least until the war was over, provided humanity survived to rebuild it. This was the Covenant's MO and thus why it was a problem when they showed up at human colony worlds.

Does 343 choose to undermine every major plot point from Bungie's games deliberately out of some egotistical need to make it "theirs" or is it all just an incompetent attempt at worldbuilding another Star Wars out of someone else's IP?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PriorMarcus posted:

Why does ONI do anything? Who knows.

Why does Halsey say to Locke he'll be ordered to kill them both? Who knows.

Halo 5: Who Knows.

Thats another issues i have with the halo games, In the books they show the UNSC and ONI as being gray as gently caress, hell even doing bad poo poo for stupid reasons. hell the whole hunt for the truth podcast was about that. I kinda of assumed the game was going to be chief learning about some hosed up poo poo on the ONI ship and going rogue to end it. But apparently the halo 5 writers are idiots and don't even try to attach poo poo. I mean hell, gears of wars story was stupid as poo poo at times and never sudtle but they could at least show that the entire goverment were a bunch of heinlein wannabees who were stuck making awful lovely choices because they were stuck in a forever war with first the not-russia and then the Mole people and the mole peoples glowing exploding cousins.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PriorMarcus posted:

Where is this? I've never noticed it before and it sounds awesome.

It's either the mausoleum of the arbiter or the council chamber place, I forget which

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I think the important thing to me about Halo is going to be "can I still play a game that doesn't have double jumping or jet packs".

After playing Destiny for the last year I'm worried that the lack of mobility by comparison in Halo is going to bother me. I guess I'll find out in 10+ hours.

I'm really looking forward to the campaign, even though I don't know if I could tell you what Halo 4 was about outside of Cortana going rampant. I just like pretty atmosphere and shooting aliens.

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011

Substandard posted:

I think the important thing to me about Halo is going to be "can I still play a game that doesn't have double jumping or jet packs".

After playing Destiny for the last year I'm worried that the lack of mobility by comparison in Halo is going to bother me. I guess I'll find out in 10+ hours.

I'm really looking forward to the campaign, even though I don't know if I could tell you what Halo 4 was about outside of Cortana going rampant. I just like pretty atmosphere and shooting aliens.

They added quite a bit of mobility, although in a different way than Destiny. The dash, clamber, and hover abilities all really change the dynamic of halo to match the current generation of shooters. That and the map layout are probably going to help that feeling a lot too.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
running the sandcrawler up onto the edge of that desert map to make your flag basically impossible to capture

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
also flipping that sandcrawler over and getting that error like "press RB to...wait, how did you do that??"

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

sunday at work posted:

3 had a million + peak population until Reach came out.

3 is also pre-cod4 and had the cultural cache that cod hadnt had before then

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

uh oh, don't make the argument that the game climate has changed. They HATE that

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

MickRaider posted:

uh oh, don't make the argument that the game climate has changed. They HATE that

its sadly true, though. i have a hard time going back to shooters that dont have sprint

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MickRaider posted:

I wonder how well Reach did postmodern warfare.

:v:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

running the sandcrawler up onto the edge of that desert map to make your flag basically impossible to capture

The best forge maps were the ones that had plasma cores instantly spawning inside the Elephant(?) so that it would be constantly exploding in the air over the map

I made one king of the hill gametype for that one that I miss dearly

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Not great, nothing really came close to the halo 3 peaks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MickRaider posted:

Not great, nothing really came close to the halo 3 peaks

You missed the pun

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

You missed the pun

That's because I didn't see your edit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MickRaider posted:

That's because I didn't see your edit

I was making it better. :(

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i think halos deliberate multiplayer pacing became ponderous after kinetic-rear end cod4 came out. the old halos were extremely good at what they did but the dissemination of sprint and iron sights basically made that model of multiplayer obsolete pretty quickly. also the xp carrot that cod introduced, but thats another issue.

343 seems to have learned this and made allowances for the game that people want to experience, while bungies answer is to make maps as small as bathrooms while grudgingly adding standard features into gametypes and arenas where they arent entirely needed or relevant. thats one of many reasons destiny is trash

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
I sent an invite for the Goon Clan but accidentally put my old username in the message body: Jon 93.

So here's hoping whomever mans that invite list sees this!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

343 seems to have learned this and made allowances for the game that people want to experience, while bungies answer is to make maps as small as bathrooms while grudgingly adding standard features into gametypes and arenas where they arent entirely needed or relevant. thats one of many reasons destiny is trash

Destiny's pretty good, actually, so it is good that Halo 5 took things from it. Hopefully they didn't take Destiny's big maps though, because they are bad.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RBA Starblade posted:

Destiny's pretty good, actually, so it is good that Halo 5 took things from it. Hopefully they didn't take Destiny's big maps though, because they are bad.

They didn't make the big maps yet. All the BTB maps are coming post launch.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

MickRaider posted:

Nah, that's a really fair point.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spacebump posted:

They didn't make the big maps yet. All the BTB maps are coming post launch.

Oh right. Well hopefully when they do make them, they don't play Combined Arms too much.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Substandard posted:

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE

neo helbeast posted:

. I get the distinct feeling that all of these maneuverability changes are due to the presence of current string of highly mobile first person shooters that it will have to contend with such as Destiny, Titanfall, and Black Ops III. Black Ops III comes out the week after Halo 5 launches and I can only imagine that there is some serious fear that Halo 5 will be a repeat of Halo 4.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

War zone Assault looks like it takes the somewhat slow ramp up of the standard game type and ups it to 'all clusterfuck all the time,' so I'm really digging that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

3 is also pre-cod4 and had the cultural cache that cod hadnt had before then

lol 3 + reach together weatherhed the releases of mw1, mw2, mw3 and black ops while maintaining a better populaiton than 4 ever had, 4 lost population becuase it was poo poo not because of cod

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

its sadly true, though. i have a hard time going back to shooters that dont have sprint

This is true for a lot of people but it certainly didn't stop CS:GO from being one of the most popular shooters ever. Really they just need to make sure whatever they have feels rock solid in every detail.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Not related to popularity, but I do think it's hilarious that almost universally, sprinting is a terrible terrible newbie trap that gets them killed over and over.

One of the first pieces of advice I give to people struggling in cod/destiny/whatever is to slow the gently caress down.

Gonna be doubly true here with grenade spam in arena and a sprint that prevents shields from regenerating.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

JonTerp posted:

I sent an invite for the Goon Clan but accidentally put my old username in the message body: Jon 93.

So here's hoping whomever mans that invite list sees this!

I actively monitor the invite requests.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I am playing this game now and I can't kill any one.

Which control scheme will make me less poo poo? I'm on default right now but it's not making me win :(

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Crafty posted:

Which control scheme will make me less poo poo? I'm on default right now but it's not making me win :(

Modified bumper jumper with a scuf or elite

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Crafty posted:

call of duty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Crafty posted:

Switch to Fishsticks. It's the CoD one.

• Locked thread