Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I really love the name Sheev. In a way its the most Star Wars name now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tender Bender posted:

I can't get over what an incredible parting shot "His first name is Sheev" was. Lucas is a brilliant master troll.

"They died."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Hey Episode I was poo poo but at least we got a cool lightsaber fight out of it, right?!"

About that...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Xenomrph posted:

It's vague and poorly defined (hence the debates) but it exists. FOX has a "canon bible" and fact-checks most things when authors write new books/comics/games, but they allow just enough mildly contradictory poo poo through the cracks that hypernerds on messageboards argue about it because source A says one thing and then source B mixes up how many bullets a particular gun fires or what a certain character's profession is or some other retarded minutiae.

It comes down to philosophy and ideology about "canon". I like including as many sources as possible, and I handwave minor inconsistencies as being unimportant for the larger picture. I call it "fuzzy continuity". It's the kind of approach the Mad Max series takes, and Warhammer40k. It lets me enjoy stories on their own without getting hung up on some minor detail the author flubbed or slipped past FOX editorial.
And you'd better believe that sort of approach pisses off ultranerds who fixate on "continuity" above all else.

Not to mention the fans who get into interminable 'eggmorphing vs queen' arguments, or a poster "windebieste" on the alien:Isolation forum who went on a multiple-page shitposting spree about how the creature in Alien (the only true xenomorph film, btw, because CAMERON RUINED EVERYTHING WITH ALIENS) was literally indestructible. Like, it didn't die when it was fried in the engines, it quite literally is impervious to harm, and cannot die ever ever ever. Seriously, he starts posting midway through page 1 and is impervious to logic.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

if you are hung up on canon and continuity to the point where you would let it get in the way of a legitimately good story well told, you are truly lost, friend.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I started reading the Darth Vader comic and it seems to start doing the bad EU stuff again. Grand General Tagge apparently survived the Death Star explosion and is now the strategic mastermind behind the imperial fleet. At least they have him using charts and graphs and battle models instead of ~art~ so they could hopefully make him fallible with the wrong models.

I dread reading the next issue when they introduce the waifu you see in all the later issues.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

I don't think fandom is why the prequels had those things though, it's because Lucas is insane and had tons of bad ideas no one shot down. Unless your argument is that fans shouldn't have paid money to see episode I and then Lucas would've learned his lesson and rethought his approach to episode II which is pretty doubtful.

but i mean people applauded that garbage in theatres. it can't all be thrown at the feet of lucas. he made it but the nerds gobbled it up.

Xenomrph posted:

What is the handmaid's tale?

man i like you xenomrph even with you gobbling up and defending the utter poo poo of multiple universes ruined by EU and even mainline films (aliens, predators, star wars) but how can you devour all this nonsense and not know one of the most famous pieces of speculative literature.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 27, 2015

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It's kind of bad EU stuff, but it's still better told
than most if not all of the old poo poo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Otisburg posted:

"Hey Episode I was poo poo but at least we got a cool lightsaber fight out of it, right?!"

About that...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw
To be entirely fair, that's basically "fight choreography 101" - make the fight *look* entertaining, while in fact being 100% safe for the actors/stunt people 100% of the time. The fact that it look the author of that video literally over a decade to catch on that the fight is choreographed and make a video about it just means the choreography was working as intended.

Groovelord Neato posted:

man i like you xenomrph even with you gobbling up and defending the utter poo poo of multiple universes ruined by EU and even mainline films (aliens, predators, star wars) but how can you devour all this nonsense and not know one of the most famous pieces of speculative literature.
"Ruined by" is a really strong phrase. Every EU has its garbage, but it's so easy to ignore it that who cares?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

To be entirely fair, that's basically "fight choreography 101" - make the fight *look* entertaining, while in fact being 100% safe for the actors/stunt people 100% of the time. The fact that it look the author of that video literally over a decade to catch on that the fight is choreographed and make a video about it just means the choreography was working as intended.

Counterpoint: The Death Star duel was framed and shot in a way so it looks like most of the strikes were actually directed at the other guy's body, and the blocks weren't just both guys reaching out to tap the other guy's saber.

And I get that safety is a thing, but by the PT Lucas wasn't at all above turning actors into digital marionettes, to the point where rather than do another take of a scene where Annikan is courting Padme to have him touch her a different way-- he just digitally altered it in post. If he'd really wanted, he could have taken what was shot and made the swings look more directed to kill.

And yeah the complete post mortem is coming late, but plenty of people felt the PT dance-fight choreography felt weightless and inconsequential even at the time. Having someone slow it down and manipulate it so you can see how it wasn't even framed or angled to look close just gives you a bit more insight into why you noticed it without noticing the how, even though "your brain did..."

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The duels in the OT were like choreographed dancing, while the duels in the PT were like drunk dancing.

I'd say both had their good points.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The fight choreography in the prequels is no more inspired than anything else going on, what with Lucas filming it like a soap and having no further blocking ideas than "Everyone is sitting at the Oprah Winfrey Show" or "Everyone is walking to nowhere." For the fights, you are generally getting this in a nutshell:

Faster, more intense. That, and because the drama is a wet fart, the fights are utterly meaningless. Like the rest of the films, nothing about them express character, intent, or a binding logic.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
watch the ep 1 lightsaber fight and then watch empire's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-DeI3ohVbY

like, obviously its a better movie and all, but still, the strikes are either parries, moves to disarm (lmao), or attempted straight up killshots. it's a god drat honest to god swordfight to the death.

that's choreography, at least for the movies. prequel saber fights would be good for live theater, where everything has to be exaggerated to make up for the audience not being able to see anything remotely subtle.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Didn't they have some serious business swords guy do the lightsabre choreography for the OT?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Jesus christ this thread is still happening. I remember posting here in January about Greedo eating a sandwich. This is some real good stuff.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
How and what do Greedos eat anyway

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Improbable Lobster posted:

How and what do Greedos eat anyway

They eat Han Solo's blaster, via a quick hip shot

The Bible
May 8, 2010

gnarlyhotep posted:

They eat Han Solo's blaster, via a quick hip shot

All of them. Ever.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I just love myself an in-depth analysis of movie posters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdshFSse-OA

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
crying mountain

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

lmao

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
What happened with Leia, did she become a jedi or learn to use the force or what?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Force-sensitive crying mountain.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Syncopated posted:

What happened with Leia, did she become a jedi or learn to use the force or what?

You'll have to pay Di$ney 15 bucks in December to find out the new canon!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I look forward to this geriatric Star Wars. Han still in his old outfit makes me excited for Leia to be dragging around her slave outfit

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Syncopated posted:

She reclaims the Naboo throne as her rightful bloodline.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fojar38 posted:

remember when star wars episode I: the phantom menace was re-released in 3d

lol

The Phantom Menace scored $22.5 million in its first three days, enough for a fourth-place finish behind The Vow, Safe House, and Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. It then plummeted 65 percent in its second weekend (a holiday weekend no less!) to $8 million – which put the film in sixth place. All told, the re-release has brought in $35.8 million in its first 11 days.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2015/10/29/the-destruction-of-alderaan-was-completely-justified/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tarkin did nothing wrong

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

how_americans_see_the_world.html

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

What is the handmaid's tale?

beautiful

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Is anyone surprised? Should anyone give a poo poo?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
These fuckin guys...

quote:

"Greetings. In the equation A = (π/1012 × 16,072)(R×R)(E∞)², can you tell me what the value of A is?"
―A Givin

The Givin were the indigenous sentient species of the planet Yag'Dhul. They were best known for their natural mathematical ability which made them expert starship builders and astrogators. Other notable features of the Givin were their skeletal appearance, and their ability to survive in a vacuum.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Givin

You get the feeling that at some point in the EU, authors just made species via mad libs.

"The [TWO SYLLABLE NONSENSE WORD] were the indigenous sentient species of the planet [OTHER TWO SYLLABLE NONSENSE WORD WITH SUPERFLOUS APOSTROPHE]. They were best known for their natural [SUBJECT IN SCHOOL] ability which made them expert [ROLE IN THE STAR WARS UNIVERSE THEY WILL BE STEREOTYPED INTO]. Other notable features of this race were their [EXOTIC FEATURE OF APPEARANCE], and their ability to survive [THING HUMANS CAN'T SURVIVE]."

William Bear fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 30, 2015

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

William Bear posted:

You get the feeling that at some point in the EU, authors just made species via mad libs.

well yeah, but with any extended universe this big that's just a givin :D

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
THIS HALLOWEEN, FEEL THE TERROR OF....
MATH SKELETONS FROM SPACE

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Math Skeletons gave my kid this "common core" worksheet. I tried to help him with it, but it don't make no sense to me.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Some of his other headlines

"Biff Tannen: The Real Hero of the ‘Back to the Future’ Movies"
"Racists Got a Star Wars Boycott Trending on Twitter–And That’s a Good Thing"
"American Imperialism FTW"

it has to be depressing to churn out clickbait for a living

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

William Bear posted:

These fuckin guys...

quote:

There was a race of Cartilage Heads from Achewood in the Star Wars EU?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Duinuogwuin
The Duinuogwuin, colloquially called Star Dragons, were among the galaxy's more secretive and mysterious species.

Common Star Dragon names
  • Ir'cara'suhl
  • Shalyx'har'zan
  • Vir'anax'sath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Some of his other headlines

"Biff Tannen: The Real Hero of the ‘Back to the Future’ Movies"
"Racists Got a Star Wars Boycott Trending on Twitter–And That’s a Good Thing"
"American Imperialism FTW"

it has to be depressing to churn out clickbait for a living

Man, you guys hate fun. It's not like the dude was dragging EU bullshit into the article(except for the 'Tarkin Doctrine' I guess, but the main gist of that is in the movie). I laughed pretty heartily at it. :shrug: Next you'll be telling me the Endor Holocaust is dumb. Which it isn't, because all Ewoks not named Kettch deserve death.

• Locked thread