Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My only worry about Pandemic Legacy is spending hours and hours and 60 bucks for a game that you can straight-up lose and not really have a chance to try again (or, at least, getting severely diminishing returns if you do).

Granted I actually don't know how the mechanics work so I don't know if there is a loss state, but given it's a coop game, I'm assuming yes. In any case, my friends and I start playing it in a couple weeks or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Impermanent posted:

Dilluvia's really good and will probably be my new intro to heavy euros for friends/family because it has a theme that makes 90's kids nostalgic and isn't actually that much more complicated than Caylus. It is heavy only because of the scoring mechanism and the very few actions you get per round by default.

I'll remember this for when I'm trying to convince my group to play it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Morpheus posted:

Granted I actually don't know how the mechanics work so I don't know if there is a loss state, but given it's a coop game, I'm assuming yes. In any case, my friends and I start playing it in a couple weeks or so.

The game actually comes with a book of matches and a vial of smallpox. If you lose, the owner of the game is required to burn the box and all contents, and drink the vial of smallpox.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Morpheus posted:

My only worry about Pandemic Legacy is spending hours and hours and 60 bucks for a game that you can straight-up lose and not really have a chance to try again (or, at least, getting severely diminishing returns if you do).

If you lose you still continue to the next month. What's better is the game adjusts and makes your next play easier.

Conversely, if you're winning then the game makes the next play more difficult.

I'm not sure if you could completely gently caress up and ruin everything

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The Supreme Court posted:

If you lose you still continue to the next month. What's better is the game adjusts and makes your next play easier.

Conversely, if you're winning then the game makes the next play more difficult.

I'm not sure if you could completely gently caress up and ruin everything
"Goons...goons always find a way"
- Jurassic Park

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I played Codenames and Cards Against Humanity at a party this weekend, and the contrast between the two games was really stark. So much of CAH was the monkey cheese "lol panda sex" type poo poo that is about as funny as the word of the day on dictionary.com. It baffles me that CAH is used as anything besides a literal time waster. loving Charades probably enables funnier moments than CAH.

Codenames on the other hand was tense and creative and blahblahblah it's a good game, loving get it. And to whoever was asking about using Dixit cards to play Codenames, it's...different. I'm not sure yet if it's better or worse, since there's a whole lot of Rorschach testing going on, but I feel that it's harder to make those deeper pulls. It's a fair variant, though.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Prairie Bus posted:

Has anyone else tried Pandemic Legacy yet? I did the first two months with my fiancé, and so far it's incredible. I'm not spoiling anything below, but I do discuss stuff from the starting rule book, so skip this if you don't want to know anything.

Are you enjoying playing it 2 player? Is it like Risk Legacy where you'd prefer to play it with the same core group all the way through? My wife likes Pandemic, and it's obviously easier to just play Legacy with her, rather than waiting every 2 weeks for board game night with my friends.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you lose you replay the current month with adjustments, right?

Gutter Owl posted:

I've got higher hopes for replayability than Jedit (thanks to map-size, if nothing else), but wow the Kickstarter exclusives are kinda sleazy. Locking off an entire expansion, plus probably another expansions' worth in additional exclusive context, is some really shady poo poo. "Limited time offer!" says "We don't trust that you'll actually buy this if given enough time to think about it."

I'm in on the $100 gamble, but only because I can probably flip it to recoup costs if it shits the bed.

7th Continent is hot garbage of the highest degree. "Choose your own adventure the board game" more like "random card flips with no interaction" the board game. Seriously, everything is randomly decided and it just turns into a mess quickly. Flip a tile, oh no you don't have the cards to pass that challenge, you're hosed. There's no real game.

GrandpaPants posted:

I played Codenames and Cards Against Humanity at a party this weekend, and the contrast between the two games was really stark. So much of CAH was the monkey cheese "lol panda sex" type poo poo that is about as funny as the word of the day on dictionary.com. It baffles me that CAH is used as anything besides a literal time waster. loving Charades probably enables funnier moments than CAH.

Codenames on the other hand was tense and creative and blahblahblah it's a good game, loving get it. And to whoever was asking about using Dixit cards to play Codenames, it's...different. I'm not sure yet if it's better or worse, since there's a whole lot of Rorschach testing going on, but I feel that it's harder to make those deeper pulls. It's a fair variant, though.

I have a friend that's still playing CaH after 6 years. I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with her because she's otherwise intelligent and should be smarter than to still think it's funny or clever. And glad to hear it's fun with Dixit cards, I've been interested in trying it since someone else mentioned it.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 26, 2015

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

canyonero posted:

Are you enjoying playing it 2 player? Is it like Risk Legacy where you'd prefer to play it with the same core group all the way through? My wife likes Pandemic, and it's obviously easier to just play Legacy with her, rather than waiting every 2 weeks for board game night with my friends.

It's probably better two player. I sorta wanted to do it with four, but I think it gets harder with more people. At two, and especially as couple, there's a real shared cinematic experience, where you're both stressing out together. And having two means you can more easily split the violative aspects of the game, like tearing up cards, stickering the board, and opening secret compartments.

Bottom Liner posted:

If you lose you replay the current month with adjustments, right?

Yeah, there's an "early" and "late" game for each month. You also add or remove event cards based on your previous game. As you do better, the governments cut your funding, and as you do worse, they pour more money down the drain.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Hmm, that sounds a little better than what I thought. I had just assumed that it was a series of games that, if you lost too much, the disease just took over and killed everyone. But I guess they probably took a look at that model and thought 'yeah that blows'.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Hmm, that sounds a little better than what I thought. I had just assumed that it was a series of games that, if you lost too much, the disease just took over and killed everyone. But I guess they probably took a look at that model and thought 'yeah that blows'.

In the box, there's a container to be opened if you lose four games in a row. I hope we never have to find out what's in there.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

7th Continent is hot garbage of the highest degree. "Choose your own adventure the board game" more like "random card flips with no interaction" the board game. Seriously, everything is randomly decided and it just turns into a mess quickly. Flip a tile, oh no you don't have the cards to pass that challenge, you're hosed. There's no real game.
What I've seen of 7th Continent reminds me of the one time I played Fortune and Glory, where most of the game was just deciding which deck of cards you wanted to draw from to see what you get to do. There's very little actual choice involved; it's just a card-flipping simulator.

I'd imagine 7th Continent would be even worse due to the lack of real randomization. The map and the events on it are always going to be fixed, with I think the only real randomness being the "exploration fog" cards.

Did anyone bother doing the 7th Continent PnP demo?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm glad I dropped the cash on Gloomhaven instead of 7th Continent.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Prairie Bus posted:

In the box, there's a container to be opened if you lose four games in a row. I hope we never have to find out what's in there.

Please remove the insert and tell me if there is a "Do Not Open" envelope stuck to the box.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Please remove the insert and tell me if there is a "Do Not Open" envelope stuck to the box.

I actually just thought of that today. I haven't looked, but there's definitely space to hide one. I'll check after work.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Evil Mastermind posted:

What I've seen of 7th Continent reminds me of the one time I played Fortune and Glory, where most of the game was just deciding which deck of cards you wanted to draw from to see what you get to do. There's very little actual choice involved; it's just a card-flipping simulator.

I'd imagine 7th Continent would be even worse due to the lack of real randomization. The map and the events on it are always going to be fixed, with I think the only real randomness being the "exploration fog" cards.

Did anyone bother doing the 7th Continent PnP demo?

The PNP demo is kinda awful, mostly because it removes all the bells and whistles. And 7C seems like a game made of its bells and whistles.

Like, the entire reason I want the game is because of the exploration/orienteering aspect. You have a huge, semi-static map (with potentially variable weather patterns) and by design you can never see all of it at once. And the central challenge of the game is a pathfinding puzzle, like the quiet segments of Shadow of the Colossus. Here's a lovely, hand-drawn landmark map, figure out how to get from A to B without starving to death. All the little card-flipping checks along the way are an involved means of seeing how resource-heavy your path is, and the knowledge cards throw the occasional wrinkle in your route-optimization.

The PNP has exactly two terrain tiles, making a small island. And the central puzzle has two very straightforward solutions. Build a raft, or catch a turtle. The main draw of the game is completely lost without the scale.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 26, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

Like, the entire reason I want the game is because of the exploration/orienteering aspect. You have a huge, semi-static map (with potentially variable weather patterns) and by design you can never see all of it at once. And the central challenge of the game is a pathfinding puzzle, like the quiet segments of Shadow of the Colossus. Here's a lovely, hand-drawn landmark map, figure out how to get from A to B without starving to death. All the little card-flipping checks along the way are an involved means of seeing how resource-heavy your path is, and the knowledge cards throw the occasional wrinkle in your route-optimization.

Yeah, that's why I was originally interested too; I wanted a solo game of exploration and such. But I feel like 7th Continent gets too focused on the bells and whistles. I mean, it might still end up being good but it's gonna be a year before we find out, and I'm not feeling too confident about that right now.

From what I read, they slapped together the PnP demo so late in the KS because people were asking for a PnP version of what they sent out to all the board game bloggers, but they didn't want to do that because that demo is the "tutorial" section of the actual game. So instead you get the two-tile island with maybe three things to do.

The PnP also has a meta-puzzle that is kinda bullshit you can find a page of a diary that mentions "catching four times a turtle"; that's actually a clue that you're supposed to take card 16, because that's the number of the "catch a turtle" challenge card times 4. Figuring that out gives you a big bonus towards the catch-a-turtle ending but the devs have said they're not going to put puzzles like that in the main game.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah, I also got Valley of the Kings to the table for the first time. The person I played against loves both Dominion and Smash-up (I know), and she really liked VOTK too. I went for an entomb early, entomb often strategy, and she went for entombing later but having more actions, and I beat her, but it wasn't a runaway game. Altogether I like it a lot, and can see it getting more table time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

sector_corrector posted:

Oh yeah, I also got Valley of the Kings to the table for the first time. The person I played against loves both Dominion and Smash-up (I know), and she really liked VOTK too. I went for an entomb early, entomb often strategy, and she went for entombing later but having more actions, and I beat her, but it wasn't a runaway game. Altogether I like it a lot, and can see it getting more table time.

Another one of us. Well done.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I've only played once but I liked it quite a bit. I'll probably buy it soon along with all the rest of Fozzy's German card games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Fat Samurai posted:

Spoilers for Pandemic Legacy, but I actually carefully slid all the inserts out of the box to see if there were any hidden envelopes ala Risk Legacy and unfortunately there aren't.

Also I admit to being a bit confused by the sticker that you have to peel and place on the eighth box (the "open only if you lose four games in a row" one)...is that the same for all copies? It seems strange to me that they'd make it a sticker if so, I was under the impression that different copies might have different conditionals for opening that eighth box but I guess they don't.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Lorini posted:

AFAIK They are the only North American retailer. And Spielworxx is a small company with small print runs.

I looked into this a bit, and BoardGameBliss (Canadian retailer) is working on trying to get some copies but the publisher might be out I guess. I checked the price from Funagain and it said it would cost upwards of $60 to ship to me, and I can't really justify that price, so I just gotta hope that BGB gets it. :(

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Kai Tave posted:

Spoilers for Pandemic Legacy, but I actually carefully slid all the inserts out of the box to see if there were any hidden envelopes ala Risk Legacy and unfortunately there aren't.

Also I admit to being a bit confused by the sticker that you have to peel and place on the eighth box (the "open only if you lose four games in a row" one)...is that the same for all copies? It seems strange to me that they'd make it a sticker if so, I was under the impression that different copies might have different conditionals for opening that eighth box but I guess they don't.

According to a preview, the "open if you lose 4 games in a row" was designed to get you to play a 4th time after you lose 3 in a row. It might be that it was a late edition and the sticker was the easiest way to get it to fit, or it might be that they wanted to call attention to it to make it even better at its job.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Lichtenstein posted:

Please note it requires a 3x3" playing space, which - if you're not experienced with seeking space for minis, xwangs etc - is surprisingly big for most tables' shorter axis.

I bought an X Wing core set two months ago. I bought a table and six chairs last week to replace my kitchen table, because my last table was 6 inches too narrow for a 36" square playfield :homebrew:

I really need to pick up Valley of the Kings. I am always on the lookout for good two player games. Not just "good games that can be played with 2 people", but "games that are good with 2 people". I've got Castles of Burgundy (haven't played yet), X-Wing, Lord of the Rings LCG, Ticket to Ride, and Love Letter. Any other favorites I should know about?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

canyoneer posted:

I bought an X Wing core set two months ago. I bought a table and six chairs last week to replace my kitchen table, because my last table was 6 inches too narrow for a 36" square playfield :homebrew:

I really need to pick up Valley of the Kings. I am always on the lookout for good two player games. Not just "good games that can be played with 2 people", but "games that are good with 2 people". I've got Castles of Burgundy (haven't played yet), X-Wing, Lord of the Rings LCG, Ticket to Ride, and Love Letter. Any other favorites I should know about?

Twilight Struggle

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

canyoneer posted:

In addition to Twilight Struggle, BattleCON or Yomi are worth a glance, as is Netrunner. On the other hand, Love Letter is crap with two.

Hardcore answer, Sekigahara or Napoleon's Triumph. Godspeed.

---

Speaking of Simmons, my coworker and I are struggling through Guns of Gettysburg over the next couple of days. As usual, parsing the rulebook is like chewing through a copper pipe. Any tips/advice/easily-missed rules/game-ruining newbie-traps that the Simmons goons wanna point out?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Tash-Kalar should also be on the list of Good 2 Player Games

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Archenteron posted:

:doh:

Yeah, sometimes the good answers are so obvious that you completely miss them.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

canyoneer posted:

The primary consideration for the table in my game room dining room was that its shortest dimension be no less than 3 feet. I got a table that can expand to a 5x5 square. A month later FFG announces the Epic X-Wing format which wants a 3x6 surface. Fortunately, Epic sucks. Unfortunately, I still buy the Epic scale ships.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Epic is alright now that the raider is out.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Race for the Galaxy, Istanbul, and Five Tribes are all pretty good as 2 player games, especially Race. Also Lost Cities and Jaipur.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Archenteron posted:

Speaking of which, has anyone tried out the Nethervoid deck yet? I'm curious what kind of patterns and gimmicks that deck favors.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

canyoneer posted:

Race for the Galaxy is best with two people. It can be played with more of course, but two is the most interesting variant with the double role selection. Fluxx is also particularly well balanced with two people.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Gutter Owl posted:

On the other hand, Love Letter is crap with two.

So wrong. Love Letter is great with two because the only poo poo thing about the game, player elimination, is no longer a thing.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
there are more degenerate moments in love letter with two though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Love Letter is really boring for me now, and I've never actually had Normies play it and love it, it's always a lukewarm comment that the art is nice and someone suggesting we play Euchre after a few hands. I really have no idea who the target demographic for it is.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

kalthir posted:

So wrong. Love Letter is great with two because the only poo poo thing about the game, player elimination, is no longer a thing.

Does it really count as player elimination when it's more like round elimination?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Target Demographic:

- 18XXers playing fillers before anyone shows up/after a game

kid you not

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gutter Owl posted:

In addition to Twilight Struggle, BattleCON or Yomi are worth a glance, as is Netrunner. On the other hand, Love Letter is crap with two.

Hardcore answer, Sekigahara or Napoleon's Triumph. Godspeed.

---

Speaking of Simmons, my coworker and I are struggling through Guns of Gettysburg over the next couple of days. As usual, parsing the rulebook is like chewing through a copper pipe. Any tips/advice/easily-missed rules/game-ruining newbie-traps that the Simmons goons wanna point out?

Just memorize WARM and walk through it every single turn, even if you don't have to. It makes you need to look at the rulebook a little less, you just go "Okay, withdrawals none, attacks none, reinforcements *flips over tile* *makes moves*, marches *makes moves*, general orders for next turn is blah". Make sure the union player keeps Buford alive in day one so those two blocks are removed at night (otherwise the union is probly screwed), and maybe review multi-hour turns a bit because that was probably the hardest part for me, just keeping how many movement points each unit gets based on when it arrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

golden bubble posted:

Speaking of which, has anyone tried out the Nethervoid deck yet? I'm curious what kind of patterns and gimmicks that deck favors.

More snaky patterns, there's only a couple based on straight lines. The Gateway adds huge combo potential (I think the Power Seeker has the highest potential single action damage in the game) at the expense of being a pretty huge target. I think it's also something of an opposite Sylvan deck too since it seems to want you to be working two sides of the arena at once. Maybe that's also why it has fresh new boob art.