Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It also means you're able to make a Hutt Jedi, who if you don't take the Enhance tree and give him Force Jumping immediately then you are playing it wrong good sir :colbert:

Look here man, the very FIRST race I've suggested to all my players has been Hutt, and none of them have loving gone for it yet, I'm doing my best here.

So far I've got a squib bounty hunter, a shapeshifting race that's name I forget bounty hunter, and a gand bounty hunter. I guess I'm making a bounty hunting campaign!

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It also means you're able to make a Hutt Jedi, who if you don't take the Enhance tree and give him Force Jumping immediately then you are playing it wrong good sir :colbert:

... :stare:

I... I need to change my character idea.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

So far I've got a squib bounty hunter, a shapeshifting race that's name I forget bounty hunter, and a gand bounty hunter. I guess I'm making a bounty hunting campaign!

All Bounty Hunting All the Time is a lot of fun to run actually. Be ready to generate random criminals who the Empire wants dead or alive every time the party arrives on a planet. Be ready for every NPC criminal the party encounters to be checked for their value on the open market while they're being interacted with. Be prepared for the party to over step its place and angry an entire clan of other bounty hunters.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This really only works if they have a peppy doge companion, whatever that is in star wars terms. They have ducks, I assume they have doges.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

karmicknight posted:

All Bounty Hunting All the Time is a lot of fun to run actually. Be ready to generate random criminals who the Empire wants dead or alive every time the party arrives on a planet. Be ready for every NPC criminal the party encounters to be checked for their value on the open market while they're being interacted with. Be prepared for the party to over step its place and angry an entire clan of other bounty hunters.

I'm planning to start the campaign with the party investigating a very large open bounty. It'll be easy enough to get the bounty, but then they've got to get him to the Hutt's palace alive through a ton of bounty hunters who are just drooling at the thought of easy money. And then we can go on from there with whatever direction my party seems most eager to move in!

So far I've got the idea of

Hutt Bounties: Highest pay, most politics and inter hutt clan drama risks. Also, hutts get super angry and post huge bounties, then don't want to pay when it comes time to collect. But can be very lucrative if they manage to avoid interclan politics.

Bounty Hunter Guild Bounties: Least pay (They get a cut of all bounties given), but they provide the most information about their targets and other guild members probably won't shoot you in the back. Safest jobs.

Personal Bounties: Once they get a rep, the party can actually be privately contacted for off the books Bounties. This runs the risk of HUGE danger as well as them not knowing if they'll actually get paid. (But potentially massive rewards) But they can risk it.

Imperial Bounties: Medium pay, but you generally get semi grudging cooperation from planetary forces, and staying on the good side of the empire is usually a pretty good idea (Especially if you do smuggling on the side. Hey man, we have to go catch that bounty, no time for customs checks!).

Rebel Bounties: Rare and they hate to pay up, or hire disgusting scum like bounty hunters.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 24, 2015

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

This really only works if they have a peppy doge companion, whatever that is in star wars terms. They have ducks, I assume they have doges.

The would be the peppy Vornskr companion, useful for both being a faithful follower and attempting to catch all of those high value force sensitives.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Chill la Chill posted:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I'm planning to start the campaign with the party investigating a very large open bounty. It'll be easy enough to get the bounty, but then they've got to get him to the Hutt's palace alive through a ton of bounty hunters who are just drooling at the thought of easy money. And then we can go on from there with whatever direction my party seems most eager to move in!

So far I've got the idea of

Hutt Bounties: Highest pay, most politics and inter hutt clan drama risks. Also, hutts get super angry and post huge bounties, then don't want to pay when it comes time to collect. But can be very lucrative if they manage to avoid interclan politics.

Bounty Hunter Guild Bounties: Least pay (They get a cut of all bounties given), but they provide the most information about their targets and other guild members probably won't shoot you in the back. Safest jobs.

Personal Bounties: Once they get a rep, the party can actually be privately contacted for off the books Bounties. This runs the risk of HUGE danger as well as them not knowing if they'll actually get paid. (But potentially massive rewards) But they can risk it.

Imperial Bounties: Medium pay, but you generally get semi grudging cooperation from planetary forces, and staying on the good side of the empire is usually a pretty good idea (Especially if you do smuggling on the side. Hey man, we have to go catch that bounty, no time for customs checks!).

Rebel Bounties: Rare and they hate to pay up, or hire disgusting scum like bounty hunters.

When it comes out, you might decide to incorporate elements of this supplement.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I will suggest this to be my friend's animal companion. What's it called? I assume it acts like a corgi.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm assuming that most bounties are preferred alive though, if only to ensure that they can be interrogated or tortured/killed according to the bounty poster's liking though? Or would the empire just want proof of execution?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm assuming that most bounties are preferred alive though, if only to ensure that they can be interrogated or tortured/killed according to the bounty poster's liking though? Or would the empire just want proof of execution?

Probably a little of both.

Sleazeguy Badalien they'd prefer alive but in the end they just need proof of execution.
Gen. Dave Spacename is a leader of the rebel alliance and is believed to have vital intel about Rebel plans. There's no bounty if you don't bring him back for interrogation.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 25, 2015

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Chill la Chill posted:

I will suggest this to be my friend's animal companion. What's it called? I assume it acts like a corgi.

Loth-cat from Rebels.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Speaking of Animal companions how do those work anyway? I don't recall there being actual rules on them other than "you can have one" unless they are in some obscure book

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
West End Games did a couple of bounty hunting books for their D6 version of Star Wars: Galaxy Guide 10 and No Disintegrations. They’re available online as PDFs, which I’d link to if I was sure they weren’t :filez:.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Commander book inc.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Looks cool, but what I really want is the next Edge book. Bounty hunter needs some love and technician means more sweet gadgets.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah wasn't there a book due off the ship soon?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Outlaw Tech needs a book. I want more crazy awesome equipment mods, dammit.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Mustache Ride posted:

Yeah wasn't there a book due off the ship soon?

The adventure about the lady with the awesome mask or something, IIRC.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

The adventure about the lady with the awesome mask or something, IIRC.

Yeah, it's probably Awesome Mask or Something of the Lady.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
WEG already made a book called No Disintegrations? FFG should name their Bounty Hunter book Pro Disintegrations

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jawdins posted:

WEG already made a book called No Disintegrations? FFG should name their Bounty Hunter book Pro Disintegrations

"He's No Good to Me Dead"

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Was thinking of doing a pre-made adventure for my party when my current adventure comes to an end. Are there any pre-mades produced by FF or the community that are fun to run? We did Long Arm of the Hutts and it was pretty meh.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Beyond the Rim.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Beyond the Rim.

Beyond the Rim is great and open-ended, be prepared for them to be more into the crashed ship than the book is (including a reference to an area in the text that is not actually in the text). Jewel of Yavin is more constrained, but not a LOT more constrained; I either misunderstood its good race rules, or the rules for the race are bad, so know going in that you'll have to figure out how you want to handle the race (I think the race rules are not good).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

homullus posted:

Beyond the Rim is great and open-ended, be prepared for them to be more into the crashed ship than the book is (including a reference to an area in the text that is not actually in the text). Jewel of Yavin is more constrained, but not a LOT more constrained; I either misunderstood its good race rules, or the rules for the race are bad, so know going in that you'll have to figure out how you want to handle the race (I think the race rules are not good).

The race rules suck. Simpler method is to just have the rival keep pace and start with easy rolls, then as either side gets Advantages and Threat the successive rolls keep getting harder. Who is ahead of who is based on total number of successes, overall.

You get advantages, you can either use them to negate any threat (counter their advantage) or attack the other racer somehow, like an obstacle falling ahead of them, or debris hitting their intake to slow them down. This turns into setback on their next roll. Once you get 4 setback, they merge into an extra difficulty die that gets permanently added to your pool.

Threat always turn into setback on the next roll.

Triumphs let you upgrade the next opponent roll with a Challenge or wipe out a single extra full difficulty die you've incurred from damage.

Despair always adds another difficulty die permanently to your pool. The second Despair upgrades all your difficulty die to Challenge die. Third Despair immediately crashes you out of the race.

Other racers are just for show and flavor with advantages... It's always more cinematic to basically make it a one on one race. If they take out their Rival racer, another racer might step up but it's unlikely and you can just let them win at that point.

Full race is maybe 10 rolls. Every three rolls you add a difficulty dice (so 3D for rolls 9 and 10, plus whatever has built up). cumulative successes thus far is what determines who is ahead of who.

That's honestly the best way to do races, and the fastest. It hinges on only having one PC racer (usually the case) and simplifies a big race into the two best racers basically going head to head, but if you're a good GM you can spin it and make it really exciting and cinematic for everyone. (advantages can allow for another party member to make a roll to sabotage the rival somehow, like sniping his engine to instantly add an extra difficulty dice, though the rival may have friends doing the same)

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 27, 2015

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Fuzz posted:

"He's No Good to Me Dead"

drat that's good

homullus posted:

There's also a few modules here: http://www.d20radio.com/main/?page_id=8 though I'm not sure how good they all are, I did run Ice Station Zulu which is railroady but fun

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I seem to recall some discussion (probably in the Murphy's Rules thread?) where someone pointed out that since the chase rules rely simply on Athletics checks rather than actual speed, Hutts thanks to their above average Brawn ratings are slow up until they chase someone, where they turn into unstoppable racing doom compared to average beings. So really you don't even need Force Jump to make a crazy maneuverable Hutt.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I finally bought everything I need to run a campaign for my friends over summer, and I'm super excited! I'm gonna be setting it immediately after the Clone Wars, with them playing fugitive padawans (not the most original of ideas, I know, but they all voted for it). I'm just going to reskin stuff as and when it's needed - there's no existing setting conversion stuff floating around, is there?

Also, does anyone have any general tips for a first time FFG Star Wars gm? I've not got a huge amount of tabletop GM experience outside of World of Darkness, and I've never played in this system before, so any general advice you could chuck my way would be great.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

cptn_dr posted:

I finally bought everything I need to run a campaign for my friends over summer, and I'm super excited! I'm gonna be setting it immediately after the Clone Wars, with them playing fugitive padawans (not the most original of ideas, I know, but they all voted for it). I'm just going to reskin stuff as and when it's needed - there's no existing setting conversion stuff floating around, is there?

Also, does anyone have any general tips for a first time FFG Star Wars gm? I've not got a huge amount of tabletop GM experience outside of World of Darkness, and I've never played in this system before, so any general advice you could chuck my way would be great.

Wookieepedia is your best friend for research. :)

One big, huge thing you have to get used to for FFG is how threats and advantages (and the dice in general!) work at the table. Unlike any other game I've played or run in (apart from maybe Feng Shui 2) you *need* to get the players involved in each and every roll, urging them to come up with ideas for both the good and the bad to drive the story. This broadens your game so hugely and takes a lot of the onus off of you - the GM - to be 100% of the entertainment at the table. The first time you hear one of your players willingly, and even excitedly take a threat to the face and inconvenience / deter / hurt their own character for the sake of the story is a great moment. :)

I learned a lot of how GMing for FFG works specifically by checking out some of the live-play Star Wars podcasts out there. I started with One Shot (they do many different games, but have a three-shot FFG SW game that became...), Campaign and then they encouraged my own group to start our own called Redemption. (Though there I get to play for a change and not in the hot seat!)

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 30, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

Beginning characters are very fragile, so go easy on them, especially if your padawans have that status mechanically via one of the Force specializations in EotE or AoR (as opposed to starting them out in F&D). Very experienced characters can be hard to endanger at all with the game's published enemies and equipment, outside of pretty extreme setups. Ship combat is dull for people who aren't the pilot, despite what some people in this thread will tell you; FTL as a model for disasters on a ship is good a few times, having them each piloting their own ships is good a few more times than that, but the space combat should be a spice rather than a vegetable, because it takes away a LOT from everyone.

If you don't know how to spend their Threat or Despair on an ordinary (dare I say "boring") roll, throw it to them with the challenge that it needs to be interesting and needs to be negative for them. If they're about to make a roll where the stakes are higher, and there are red dice in the pool, ask them to name the worst thing that could happen (realistically); if they roll a Despair, that happens.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

^all of that is good

If/when you decide to make your own Villains then don't throw them alone at the party. Unless you make them super overpowered (which won't be fun for anybody) then they will die in pretty short order regardless of how powerful they are. Always have minion group or 2 or maybe 3 so the group can't just focus him down.

Always be prepared to go a little bit off the rails with your plot, players are going to do things you didn't expect/plan for so be ready to improvise.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Thanks for the advice, guys!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Always be prepared to go a little bit off the rails with your plot, players are going to do things you didn't expect/plan for so be ready to improvise.
Most of my previous GM experience has been in Mage the Awakening. I don't even bother planning in advance these days. I have plot hooks and NPCs scattered around, and just roll with what the players pick up on. Much less frustrating that way.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
As far as making use of multiple books in a campaign, how well/balanced do force characters from FaD work alongside characters just using AoR/EotE stuff?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Zerilan posted:

As far as making use of multiple books in a campaign, how well/balanced do force characters from FaD work alongside characters just using AoR/EotE stuff?

At low XP levels, FaD characters will be a bit weaker than EotE characters, and a good bit weaker than AoR characters (Edge of the Empire characters tend to have more varied skills, Age of Rebellion tends to encourage super focusing). Once a good amount of XP is gained, FaD characters get enough force powers to kinda edge out the other two, but it takes probably 15-20 sessions to get that far. And both the EotE and the AoR characters will have more talents and more roles they can fill by then.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Zerilan posted:

Should be just fine. F&D characters start with fewer career skills and free ranks to account for the fact that they get force powers, and the XP economy is set up so that even if a force user rushes to the bottom of, say, the Move power tree, they won't have anything spent on basic skills or talents and even though they can throw landspeeders around with their mind, they won't have the force rating to have multiple force dice or other skills to take hits or whatever.

All things considered, force users are incredibly well balanced, especially if you don't give them a lightsaber until after the rest of the party has equally badass gear and talents.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Zerilan posted:

It does balance out. If a Jedi wants to be the best at some thing given enough XP they can beat a specialist from the other books thanks to force powers but that takes a lot of XP to hit that hard wall.

Edge classes are the most divese and most classes can do two things ok and have access to a wider range of skills

Rebellion classes are more focused on the core job of the class at the expense of being able to do other things so you will have to multiclass ealier than for Edge classes.

Destiny classes are less focused than Rebellion and are more like Edge classes but the second focus is force related (unless its hacking people to death with a laser sword).

All three can have access to force powers but for Edge and Rebellion classes have to multiclass to get the force rating but the two universal force classes have lots of useful tricks in them.

Non-force characters may feel a little less special due to force powers but they will have more skills and talents to balance it out.

Note of warning, sanity check any one multiclassing between books. Some talents are used over all three books and picking them up more times than in one book can create powerful builds.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zerilan posted:

The big question mark for me is the Signature Abilities that FaD careers will get -- if any. But you have a lot of gaming between now and the soonest that could be an issue.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The thing about jedi is that their force abilities don't always work when they have 1-2 force dice, but once they get to 3-4 force dice their abilities can end up really powerful (or still fail, but much less chance). So they flip between "Their powers arn't that great" and "Their powers are ridiculous" really quickly, once they invest enough XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

alg posted:

Loth-cat from Rebels.

Nasty little buggers. Possibly the most dangerous things in the show after Chopper.