Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I like Great North Road, though I've never read any other Hamilton. The side of the book that is basically a police procedural in a society with near-ubiquitous electronic surveillance is a whole lot more relevant in tyool 2015 than the usual nerd candy spaceship stuff I end up reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Is anyone reading Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits? I'm about a third of the way in and enjoying it a lot, probably the best of his books so far.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I originally posted this in the space opera thread but it may be more germane (based on my tastes) here.

Can someone recommend a good war in space that has an audible version? I just want something that's not Dune or GRRM in Space...but something that feels like it flows organically from current history. Can be near future too.

I guess I'm just trying to avoid situations where there is no continuity to the modern day. Hence the Duchy of Mars locked in battle with the Dukedom of Titan (might make a good CKII mod though).

I dunno maybe Dune does, I know like next to nothing about the genre...besides reading synopsis' on Wikipedia (yes I'm that lazy sometimes...and well I want to at least be aware of stuff existing.

I wish I could give some examples of my likes, but really the only fiction I've read (well recently) is Lords of the Sith and the Seal Team 666 series...so yeah I like trashy stuff.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 26, 2015

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

gfanikf posted:

I originally posted this in the space opera thread but it may be more germane (based on my tastes) here.

Can someone recommend a good war in space that has an audible version? I just want something that's not Dune or GRRM in Space...but something that feels like it flows organically from current history. Can be near future too.

I guess I'm just trying to avoid situations where there is no continuity to the modern day. Hence the Duchy of Mars locked in battle with the Dukedom of Titan (might make a good CKII mod though).

I dunno maybe Dune does, I know like next to nothing about the genre...besides reading synopsis' on Wikipedia (yes I'm that lazy sometimes...and well I want to at least be aware of stuff existing.

I wish I could give some examples of my likes, but really the only fiction I've read (well recently) is Lords of the Sith and the Seal Team 666 series...so yeah I like trashy stuff.

Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion fit this criteria, I guess. There is a space war and it's full of references to the 19th and 20th century.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Expanse series, starting with Leviathan Wakes is relatably near-future and fairly popular. The author was apparently gurm's understudy or manservant or something, but it's definitely not "GRRM in space" in the way that you mean. It's not quite nonstop warfare, but there's plenty of action.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

taser rates posted:

Is anyone reading Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits? I'm about a third of the way in and enjoying it a lot, probably the best of his books so far.

It's the most technically proficient of his books.

I miss John Dies at the End where he was sometimes completely immature and sometimes hilariously brilliant.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I figure finished Library at Mt. Char a few weeks ago and was reflecting on it again today. Obvious end of book spoilers follow: So Father set things in motion for Carolyn to succeed him, which is very obvious from the ending. What made her the choice though? He says David begged and screamed, while Carolyn never did, as though that was some key difference. Also that she was far more monstrous when sent on that path by repeated grilling. So what? What is it about facing torture and horror without backing down that makes one an ideal successor? Is it just because that's how he arose, and that's the only trait he can think about in his successor?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
He ran the scenario multiple times. Carolyn was the only one capable of pulling the whole plot off; when he reversed their roles, David always failed at some point. I think he even explicitly mentions he spent a long time trying to find a way to make it work with David because he was his biological father, but he just didn't have the necessary cruelty, calculation, whatever.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Maybe I'm not being clear about it. It isn't the outcome I don't understand, but why (Mt. Char spoilers) father chose that way to do it, and why torturing them until one of them went mad to generate a monster to challenge the others was his only MO.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Velius posted:

Maybe I'm not being clear about it. It isn't the outcome I don't understand, but why (Mt. Char spoilers) father chose that way to do it, and why torturing them until one of them went mad to generate a monster to challenge the others was his only MO.

That person is only the first monster to overcome.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Velius posted:

He tried it many times in a succession of alternate realities or alternate histories or something, using a wide variety of methods.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I just finished The Dark Forest and it was ownage. I loved the massive scope and scale, and I didn't mind how huge chunks of the book were just Cixin Liu jackin off over science and crazy future tech.

A couple questions I'm hoping some of you smart people can answer:

1. I get that the Sophons get in the way of our technological development by loving with experiment results(?), but specifically what kind of experiments are they missing with?

2. What was the deal with the people communicating through telepathy on the spaceship?

3. Was the whole imprint-scare just a device for Liu to give control of the space ship to the commissar, or is there some implication to there being secret defeatists that I missed?

4. I think I understand this one, but the reason that Luo Ji didn't tell anyone about his secret plan is because he didn't want the Trisolarans to catch on and use the droplet to kill him right? I read that passage a couple times over, and I feel like there was some "ah-ha!" moment I missed.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

fadam posted:

I just finished The Dark Forest and it was ownage. I loved the massive scope and scale, and I didn't mind how huge chunks of the book were just Cixin Liu jackin off over science and crazy future tech.

A couple questions I'm hoping some of you smart people can answer:

1. I get that the Sophons get in the way of our technological development by loving with experiment results(?), but specifically what kind of experiments are they missing with?

2. What was the deal with the people communicating through telepathy on the spaceship?

3. Was the whole imprint-scare just a device for Liu to give control of the space ship to the commissar, or is there some implication to there being secret defeatists that I missed?

4. I think I understand this one, but the reason that Luo Ji didn't tell anyone about his secret plan is because he didn't want the Trisolarans to catch on and use the droplet to kill him right? I read that passage a couple times over, and I feel like there was some "ah-ha!" moment I missed.

1. Mostly particle physics experiments (they physically get in the way of other subatomic particles).

2. Probably not actually telepathy so much as several people coming to a similar realization, although it's possible a semi-unexpected consequence of Hines' mind research led to them being super good at reading each other's body language. If so, it will probably be elaborated on in Death's End.

3. I think we're meant to at least consider the possibility. Again, Death's End may elaborate.

4. I don't remember for sure, but that sounds about right.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Dark Forest and 3 body Spoilers:
On the first point, it is something that is talked about quite extensively in the first book. The premise is that any new break thru in science and materials will have to come from partial accelerators, but at some point all the results from the tests all around the world contradict each other, or give different results. They give an analogy I think about playing pool and knowing the trajectory of the ball, but instead of going on that trajectory, it takes off in to space. Anyway, the Sophons obviously travel at light speed and can interrupt any particle science experiment and give results that don't make any sense. In fact in the first book, don't a few scientists kill themselves because of it?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Kesper North posted:

He tried it many times in a succession of alternate realities or alternate histories or something, using a wide variety of methods.
Yeah, this is just the path that worked, the history path that lead to Father having a worthy successor. The "torture one of them until they become a monster to be conquered" part is because Father's successor must be strong, strong enough to defeat one of their adopted siblings. Really, 90% of the Library at Mount Char comes down to the fact that the plot is one of those win-or-die situations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

Probably for the best. The second and third book of Night's Dawn had more flat moments than good, meandering around with too many characters. There are moments of interesting ideas (how do a society of linked minds handle the crisis when faced with it directly?) but with very little focus to keep it directed on the main plot until the unsatisfying ending.

I was thinking about Night's Dawn again and remembered the absolutely atrocious Mary Sue of a main character - y'know, the brave and witty 21-year-old spaceship captain who has sex with every woman he meets. I haven't seen a Mary Sue that bad outside of Heinlein. It made me feel deeply second-hand embarrassed for Hamilton every time he was on the page.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

freebooter posted:

I was thinking about Night's Dawn again and remembered the absolutely atrocious Mary Sue of a main character - y'know, the brave and witty 21-year-old spaceship captain who has sex with every woman he meets. I haven't seen a Mary Sue that bad outside of Heinlein. It made me feel deeply second-hand embarrassed for Hamilton every time he was on the page.

Don't forget that one of them is like a 15 year old virgin from a backwards farming colony!

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

gfanikf posted:

Paul McAuley's The Quiet War and its sequel.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Don't forget that one of them is like a 15 year old virgin from a backwards farming colony!

And the other is an independent head of state.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

CaptainScraps posted:

It's the most technically proficient of his books.

I miss John Dies at the End where he was sometimes completely immature and sometimes hilariously brilliant.

That's what I'm hoping for out of the new one. JDATE just had some weird mojo that made it compulsively readable, and the sequel didn't quite get there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

xcheopis posted:

That person is only the first monster to overcome.

Yeah, I believe the idea is that the multiverse of Mount Char is a TERRIFYINGLY HORRIBLE place, and only Father's absolute will, forged in struggle, and utter dominance over all other threats to Reality made the existence of anything nice or good possible. So if he's going to retire, his replacement has to be able to take him out, because if they can't handle him, they can't handle the next big threat to come along, either.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

gfanikf posted:

Red rising and Golden son. I dunno how good the audiobooks are. I feel a bit weird recommending them because they are almost exactly what you said you don't want, but the author does make an effort at connecting them to history too. Sort of.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
The audiobooks are great.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

freebooter posted:

I think I read Night's Dawn pretty shortly after Donaldson's Gap Cycle, and kept conffuding the handsome dashing captain in Night's Dawn with the handsome, dashing, and totally sociopathic captain in Gap.

It didn't change much except change my opinion of him when he literally becomes the deus ex machina, but it did make him for most of the book, make a lot more sense.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Shab posted:

On the subject of pronunciations, I truly feel for anyone who chooses to listen to the audiobook version of The Goblin Emperor.

I can't remember whether i heard or read it first, but the narrator actually does a really good job with the names, even though it's no help keeping straight who's who. I've read/heard it several times and am still not 100% on everyone.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

I think I read Night's Dawn pretty shortly after Donaldson's Gap Cycle, and kept conffuding the handsome dashing captain in Night's Dawn with the handsome, dashing, and totally sociopathic captain in Gap.

It didn't change much except change my opinion of him when he literally becomes the deus ex machina, but it did make him for most of the book, make a lot more sense.
If you enjoy handsome, dashing, sociopathic space captains, you might want to mix it up with Erikson's Willful Child.

Kraps posted:

I can't remember whether i heard or read it first, but the narrator actually does a really good job with the names, even though it's no help keeping straight who's who. I've read/heard it several times and am still not 100% on everyone.
That's one thing I really liked in that book: the names are regular tongue-twisters but they make sense once you figure out the basic rules and then they start telling you who's related to whom in that whole clusterfuck of a court. It's not apostrophes for apostrophes' sake, there is a method to their madness.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 27, 2015

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Aww man, Shadows of Self is even shorter than Alloy of Law, bummer. Audiobooks are expensive man.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mdemone posted:

That's what I'm hoping for out of the new one. JDATE just had some weird mojo that made it compulsively readable, and the sequel didn't quite get there.

It is not. It's more technically sound but far less batshit.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Kraps posted:

That's good to hear. I've since finished the book (enjoyed the hell out of it) and now I'm curious about the audiobook. I also had a hard time tracking all of the characters, especially those whose names begin with Cs- except for Csevet, but fortunately the book can be enjoyed regardless.

anilEhilated posted:

That's one thing I really liked in that book: the names are regular tongue-twisters but they make sense once you figure out the basic rules and then they start telling you who's related to whom in that whole clusterfuck of a court. It's not apostrophes for apostrophes' sake, there is a method to their madness.

This too. There's a little section at the end of the book on name construction rules and I wish it had been at the beginning instead.

Robotnik
Dec 3, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Kraps posted:

Aww man, Shadows of Self is even shorter than Alloy of Law, bummer. Audiobooks are expensive man.

Yeah, after reading it I was less surprised that he banged out two books. That one goes by QUICK. I can only assume that the kandra business started as a sideplot that eventually didn't work in the larger context, and instead of cutting it out in Sanderson fashion he just expanded it. That twist at the end honestly surprised me, though. Normally Sanderson is so damned straightforward.

Is there any consensus on Grace of Kings? I decided to read it after reading Ken Liu's translation of 3 body and figured his original stuff might be worth it. It feels very standard romance of the three kingdoms like some stuff feels ripped directly from Tolkien. Should I be reading Bridge of Birds Instead?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There are very few books you shouldn't be reading Bridge of Birds instead of.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 27, 2015

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Robotnik posted:

Is there any consensus on Grace of Kings? I decided to read it after reading Ken Liu's translation of 3 body and figured his original stuff might be worth it. It feels very standard romance of the three kingdoms like some stuff feels ripped directly from Tolkien. Should I be reading Bridge of Birds Instead?

I haven't read Grace of Kings, but Bridge of Birds owns owns owns and you should be reading it instead of posting.

The next two books aren't as good, sadly; IMO is this because they are largely rehashes of BoB.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
any suggestions for the BoTM poll? Maybe Library at Mount Char again?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

flosofl posted:

This is the correct reaction.

It is a good book, keep with it.
It (Char) was a good book. A++++++++++ would read again

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Robotnik posted:

Yeah, after reading it I was less surprised that he banged out two books. That one goes by QUICK. I can only assume that the kandra business started as a sideplot that eventually didn't work in the larger context, and instead of cutting it out in Sanderson fashion he just expanded it. That twist at the end honestly surprised me, though. Normally Sanderson is so damned straightforward.

I didn't enjoy Grace of Kings. It started off interesting but it quickly devolved into an outline and summary of plot points of an epic novel - This happened, then this, and then this battle that they won and this other battle too, and all character development has stopped and here are some more summaries of plot events. I got bored of it. Can't remember if goons enjoyed it or not, only that some were excited for it.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

PlushCow posted:

I didn't enjoy Grace of Kings. It started off interesting but it quickly devolved into an outline and summary of plot points of an epic novel - This happened, then this, and then this battle that they won and this other battle too, and all character development has stopped and here are some more summaries of plot events. I got bored of it. Can't remember if goons enjoyed it or not, only that some were excited for it.

I was getting bogged down in it, and then the first female pov character showed up and she was a Timeless Beauty and was instructed to use her seductive wiles for the good of her nation and peaced out.

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

I just read all of Tanya Huff's Valor/Confederation series. Six of them so far. Plot summary: A gritty space marine chick meets and kills a lot of aliens.

Aside from two of the books in the middle they were all really good. Some interesting alien exploration and discovery. As is typical of long running series, if you like the first one you will probably like the rest of them.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Does it have cool alien races that don't just serve as gun-fodder?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

Technically humans are the cool alien race that serves as gun fodder.

The titular Confederation is made up of the founding Elder Races, aliens who joined the Confederation after founding but before the big war kicked off, and a trio of less technologically developed species that were brought in because they were the only ones who still knew how to fight as a society.

The latter group are the only one who look like funny hairless apes. Everything else is more and more exotic, and there's mention of an off-page allied government that's apparently not even carbon based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Yes, many. Part of what I liked about the series is that the different types of aliens don't just act like humans in costumes. Some of them are truly alien.