Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Anybody have a cardholder case recommendation? Ideally something that uses adhesive to just stick to the back. I can't stand the way cases feel around the edge of the 6s, and don't want to deal with the bulk of a book-style wallet case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Facebook does take control of audio even if you're not in your home feed.

I wish Facebook would support SVC and the share sheet, but… :sigh:

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Are there any Genius Bar employees or goons that have experienced stress fractures and are familiar with Apple's coverage for screens that have one single crack under x" length? It's not through to the surface as you can't feel it with a fingernail. No shattering or sign of impact.

It's frustrating because it's a $300+ Out-Of-Warranty Replacement iPhone 6 that's only a few months old. AppleCare Checker Tool shows that it came with a full 1 year warranty rather than the remainder of the original phone's, so it may be brand new, too. Or do the Out-of-Warranty replacements come with 1 year even though they're reconditioned?

I don't live near a store to plead my case in person, so I wanted to have my argument sound before I arrange the mail in service.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Quick question, Apple newbie here.

I have been trying to use the Music app for listening to music, but only have two buttons at the bottom ("My music", "Playlist").

I'm missing the tabs called Radio and Connect.

What am I doing wrong? TIA

I'm in Korea which I believe does not have Apple Music, could this be the reason?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Data recovery question.

My brother did an appraisal on Catalina Island today. He used his appraisal software's (a la mode) app to do the inspection and take all his photos. When he came home he uploaded it and it created a new file and he lost all his information. His photos were supposed to be in the camera roll but they are not there.

Anyway to recover at least his photos?

He was asking if apps like this would help with recovery. http://supercrazyawesome.com/

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

goku chewbacca posted:

Are there any Genius Bar employees or goons that have experienced stress fractures and are familiar with Apple's coverage for screens that have one single crack under x" length? It's not through to the surface as you can't feel it with a fingernail. No shattering or sign of impact.

It's frustrating because it's a $300+ Out-Of-Warranty Replacement iPhone 6 that's only a few months old. AppleCare Checker Tool shows that it came with a full 1 year warranty rather than the remainder of the original phone's, so it may be brand new, too. Or do the Out-of-Warranty replacements come with 1 year even though they're reconditioned?

I don't live near a store to plead my case in person, so I wanted to have my argument sound before I arrange the mail in service.

I had this with my old 5s. Same kinda stress fraction. I was still covered under apple care, but they said for that it didn't even count against my Warranty, and replaced it on the spot. So go to the store and just hope you get a nice tech?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My iPhone 6S+ has been working fairly nicely since 9.1 but I still find that replaying my recently recorded 4K videos it stutters and locks the frame on the video but the audio plays.
Anyone else?

It's not like a game-ruiner, but it does feel kind of janky.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

goku chewbacca posted:

A single hairline crack is covered under warranty.

Unfortunately, since yours is out of warranty it will cost the normal $109+tax to get the screen replaced on a 6.

source: used to be a genius

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

killa-pope posted:

Anybody have a cardholder case recommendation? Ideally something that uses adhesive to just stick to the back. I can't stand the way cases feel around the edge of the 6s, and don't want to deal with the bulk of a book-style wallet case.

You are looking for the twelvesouth SurfacePad. I have one and its held up pretty well over the past year, and haven't had any issues with transferring it twice - adhesive still holds and the old phone doesn't have any adhesive goo stuck on it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Did iOS 9/9.1 turn the "updated app blue dot" back on or something? Either my google-fu is failing me or something, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to turn that off.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Maneki Neko posted:

Did iOS 9/9.1 turn the "updated app blue dot" back on or something? Either my google-fu is failing me or something, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to turn that off.

You open the app.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Alternately, if the blue dot has been there forever then just delete the app because you obviously never use it.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Since getting the 6S I've noticed almost every time I go to play a paused podcast via the headphone remote it never starts on the first press. It usually will start on the second press, but sometimes takes three. Is this the phone sleeping or some crap? It's been like this since day 1 on the 6S. I did not restore from a backup... Any ideas? Happens with several different sets of headphones.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
The thread inspired me to try the Facebook mobile site for the first time since... 2009?

After a few minutes I uninstalled the dumpster fire that is the Facebook app. Unless you need push notifications from Facebook I don't see any reason to use the app over the website.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You open the app.

Yeah, I get that, there's no way to turn that behavior off? I feel like that was a thing in the past.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They disappear of their own accord after a while. I've had about 30 apps update recently but the blue dots have all gone now.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ddogflex posted:

Since getting the 6S I've noticed almost every time I go to play a paused podcast via the headphone remote it never starts on the first press. It usually will start on the second press, but sometimes takes three. Is this the phone sleeping or some crap? It's been like this since day 1 on the 6S. I did not restore from a backup... Any ideas? Happens with several different sets of headphones.

I have the exact same issue with my 6s+. I used to have an android phone in between, but don't remember having such issue in my 5s.

I'm using Overcast as my podcast app.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Kalman posted:

You are looking for the twelvesouth SurfacePad. I have one and its held up pretty well over the past year, and haven't had any issues with transferring it twice - adhesive still holds and the old phone doesn't have any adhesive goo stuck on it.

What is its thickness like and how well does it stay closed? It does look nice, but I'm really hoping for something more like this but secures with adhesive rather than the snap-in style.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

goku chewbacca posted:

Lately, I've noticed Apple giving full year warranties on their replacement phones, so what you saw on the Applecare checker tool was correct. A single hairline crack should be covered as long as there's no impact point, so it sounds like you're set.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

First off I promise this isn't about forensic files. My iPhone 5's volume down button decided to stop working out of nowhere. Has anyone been able to find a fix for this? Using swipe up as well as assisted touch works (power button has been dead for a while now thanks apple) but it's pretty annoying.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

ddogflex posted:

rantAK posted:

I have the exact same issue with my 6s+. I used to have an android phone in between, but don't remember having such issue in my 5s.

I'm using Overcast as my podcast app.

I'm using Overcast on my 5s and I seem to be having similar problems. Sometimes it just won't start up, and sometimes I'll get just a super quick 'blip' of podcast sound before it stops and I have to press the button again. I'm pretty certain I'm not just double-clicking the remote, especially since if I was it should just advance the podcast 30 seconds. In most cases I've used Overcast recently so it should still be the audio app in memory.

Nysven
Apr 15, 2005
You got a good sarsaparilla?

Kilometers Davis posted:

First off I promise this isn't about forensic files. My iPhone 5's volume down button decided to stop working out of nowhere. Has anyone been able to find a fix for this? Using swipe up as well as assisted touch works (power button has been dead for a while now thanks apple) but it's pretty annoying.

Can't help with your volume button, but Apple has an out of warranty replacement program for broken iPhone 5 power buttons. Worth a check.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nysven posted:

Can't help with your volume button, but Apple has an out of warranty replacement program for broken iPhone 5 power buttons. Worth a check.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/

I'm positive I put in my serial on that before and it said ineligible but it looks like I'm covered now. Being phoneless for a while doesn't sound fun but I might as well get it fixed before I eventually get a 6S+.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ChetReckless posted:

I'm using Overcast on my 5s and I seem to be having similar problems. Sometimes it just won't start up, and sometimes I'll get just a super quick 'blip' of podcast sound before it stops and I have to press the button again. I'm pretty certain I'm not just double-clicking the remote, especially since if I was it should just advance the podcast 30 seconds. In most cases I've used Overcast recently so it should still be the audio app in memory.

Yeah, this is an overcast problem for me. It doesn't happen with Music or iBooks.

Nysven
Apr 15, 2005
You got a good sarsaparilla?

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm positive I put in my serial on that before and it said ineligible but it looks like I'm covered now. Being phoneless for a while doesn't sound fun but I might as well get it fixed before I eventually get a 6S+.

They gave me a loaner while mine was being repaired, for what it's worth.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

killa-pope posted:

What is its thickness like and how well does it stay closed? It does look nice, but I'm really hoping for something more like this but secures with adhesive rather than the snap-in style.

Thickness depends a bit on cards kept in it - I keep a chipped credit card, transit card, and ID in mine and it probably increases thickness by ~5 mm with the cards in (12s says 2 mm without cards which seems right). It doesn't stay closed on its own at all - not a downside to me since it's either in my pants pocket or a suit pocket and either way the pocket will prevent it from opening.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
How do people use cases that exist as folio type shits? I frequently use my phone with one hand and it looks like I can't even do that until after I've used my other hand to fold back the face of the case. Am I just SOL when it comes to getting a phone call while I'm drinking/eating something?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

noirstronaut posted:

How do people use cases that exist as folio type shits? I frequently use my phone with one hand and it looks like I can't even do that until after I've used my other hand to fold back the face of the case. Am I just SOL when it comes to getting a phone call while I'm drinking/eating something?

Hands free device to answer the call

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

I can open it one handed without any trouble. Grip it at the spine, thumb it open, use one finger to push the cover down and around and the phone drops into my other fingers. I am left handed which I guess might make a difference? But it seems like a rightie would just flip the cover open and use it with the cover dangling?

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

killa-pope posted:

Looks like I might've found exactly what I'm looking for - forgot to check Kickstarter. Wally Stick-On if anybody else is looking for something similar.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is no one else with an S or S+ experiencing stutter when playing back 4K videos you shot on said phone?

I mentioned I once before here,back near launch. Several ios9 updates and a couple restores later, it still does it.
Interestingly, using obvious keywords, I get no real hits on Google.

Anyone else?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
A while back I posted here that my totally pristine iPhone 6+ that I sent to Amazon Trade in was deemed "severely damaged" and sent back to me. Today I received it, half-expecting to witness an accidental switcheroo or something that got smashed to poo poo when I sent it to them. But nope, the phone works perfectly and is still in 100% pristine condition.

Totally confused. I marked it (appropriately) as the top quality condition but also marked that they could give me the lesser tier condition value of they deemed so.

Anyone want to buy a 6+ 128 ? :shrug:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Why didn't you sell it on SA Mart or Craigslist

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

Why didn't you sell it on SA Mart or Craigslist

Because I was guaranteed 550 dollars in Amazon credit (and I use a ton of Amazon) no hassle, they pay for shipping, etc...

In the past it has been a smooth, flawless process. :)

[Ed] they also allow you 30 days to ship it so I locked in a good trade in and then waited about 2 weeks until I got my new phone...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 27, 2015

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Feenix posted:

Because I was guaranteed 550 dollars in Amazon credit (and I use a ton of Amazon) no hassle, they pay for shipping, etc...

In the past it has been a smooth, flawless process. :)

[Ed] they also allow you 30 days to ship it so I locked in a good trade in and then waited about 2 weeks until I got my new phone...

Contact them and ask them why they denied you. Include pictures. They did something similar for my video games and I was able to ship them back and get the like new price.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
I'm having an issue finding a backup... I'm nearly out of icloud space, so in trying to clean it up I see that "Backup' is taking 1gb or so. Yet when I go to any of my ios devices (iphone 5s, ipad3), there are no backups available to delete. Trying to manage icloud via my macbook shows the same. Can't do anything about it from the icloud website, so where else can I go to find and delete this backup?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

bimmian posted:

I'm having an issue finding a backup... I'm nearly out of icloud space, so in trying to clean it up I see that "Backup' is taking 1gb or so. Yet when I go to any of my ios devices (iphone 5s, ipad3), there are no backups available to delete. Trying to manage icloud via my macbook shows the same. Can't do anything about it from the icloud website, so where else can I go to find and delete this backup?

I had this problem a few weeks ago, it just resolved itself a couple of days later. I guess you've recently deleted a backup?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

9.1 broke Location-based reminders for me that 9 finally fixed :smithicide:

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

ChetReckless posted:

I'm using the official podcast app. Same symptoms you're explaining though, the blip thing happens, or something I'll press play once and it not start but then several minutes later randomly decides to start. It's... Odd. I also notice if the screen is on it always starts immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Froist posted:

I had this problem a few weeks ago, it just resolved itself a couple of days later. I guess you've recently deleted a backup?

Negative, last time I deleted a backup was months ago I think.