Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

theflyingorc posted:

I'm not seeing it. Joker's been a lot of things, many of them absolutely terrible. Supes hasn't really felt like a completely different guy to me.

1950s anxiety-ridden Superman who spends almost all his time protecting his secret ID feels like the same character to you as the guy who tossed a wife beater out a window or Christopher Reeves' "gee shucks" All American Hero?

The comments on that article are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Cythereal posted:

Dropping in from CineD to post the shot in question for reference:

So I seriously don't see why people have a problem with it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
A lot of people didn't like that either

tony daniel sucked hard during batman RIP

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CapnAndy posted:

So I seriously don't see why people have a problem with it.

I use this same argument with Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, citing various source material as examples of different iterations of appearance. You will not win.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It doesn't make me angry to look at, but it also doesn't make me the least bit excited or interested in the character... In much the same way that when I see a real person dressed / tattooed like that, I am not interested in looking at or talking to that person.

Edit: I like the cover itself, but that's more due to the graphic design.

teagone posted:

I use this same argument with Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, citing various source material as examples of different iterations of appearance. You will not win.

Just because something was published doesn't make it good. We'd all be making fun of rips-off-his-own-face joker if that was the one they chose to put in the movie.

I wouldn't be thrilled if Ant Man and The Wasp ended with the wasp being eaten by the blob, that's for sure. Bad decisions happen in comics too.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 26, 2015

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

1950s anxiety-ridden Superman who spends almost all his time protecting his secret ID feels like the same character to you as the guy who tossed a wife beater out a window or Christopher Reeves' "gee shucks" All American Hero?

Except for the middle one, where I have no idea what you're referencing, not really. Certainly no bigger difference than 60's Batman Joker and Death of The Family Joker.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Except for the middle one, where I have no idea what you're referencing, not really. Certainly no bigger difference than 60's Batman Joker and Death of The Family Joker.

Sorry, I misremembered my golden age Superman.

He definitely let a crooked boss die in his own unsafe mine that one time, too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ignite Memories posted:

Just because something was published doesn't make it good. We'd all be making fun of rips-off-his-own-face joker if that was the one they chose to put in the movie.

I wouldn't be thrilled if Ant Man and The Wasp ended with the wasp being eaten by the blob, that's for sure. Bad decisions happen in comics too.

My issue, again, is more so with the complaints along the lines of "Joker would never look like that" or "it's not in his character" when clearly it's an inspired look. You can not like Leto's Joker, that's fine, but to say it's not the Joker is folly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It's not joker as much as Gadot is a bad fit for WW. To say they are both bad decisions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will hold off saying Gadot is a bad fit for Wonder Woman until she gets a fuckin' line of dialogue.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Blockhouse posted:

A lot of people didn't like that either

tony daniel sucked hard during batman RIP

Ignite Memories posted:

It doesn't make me angry to look at, but it also doesn't make me the least bit excited or interested in the character... In much the same way that when I see a real person dressed / tattooed like that, I am not interested in looking at or talking to that person.

Edit: I like the cover itself, but that's more due to the graphic design.

Now I'm wondering what would it be like if movies started adapting the absolute least popular versions of characters. Like Scarebeast or One-Face.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

I will hold off saying Gadot is a bad fit for Wonder Woman until she gets a fuckin' line of dialogue.

Do what you want I don't particularly care.

Prepare to be disappointed tho.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

mycot posted:

Now I'm wondering what would it be like if movies started adapting the absolute least popular versions of characters. Like Scarebeast or One-Face.

It's a tragedy that horizontal two face still hasn't been adapted to the screen.

teagone posted:

My issue, again, is more so with the complaints along the lines of "Joker would never look like that" or "it's not in his character" when clearly it's an inspired look. You can not like Leto's Joker, that's fine, but to say it's not the Joker is folly.

I see what you're saying, though it feels a little excessive to me to dismiss it as folly. I mean, different people attribute different amounts of validity to the various interpretations of the character. I don't think it's unreasonable to reject a particular comic book interpretation of the character as 'out of character' if it rings false to you. There are some bad artists and writers out there, which is part of the reason comic universes need to get rebooted so often.

I'm mostly with you on this one, though. This joker does not resemble any jokers that I like, and does not really interest me, but as a hosed up robin joker I can kinda see it. Time will tell.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 26, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You may have beaten two-face Batman, but you won't beat me! I'm a different kind of villain and my names four face! You only have a one in four chance of surviving!

(Batman steps on a barbed d4, dealing 1d3 -1 damage and cutting his movement rate in half).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Why isn't Leto smiling in the picture?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

That looks stupid, but at least he's not Damaged anymore.

Nope, look closely. It's still on his forehead.

This Joker looks like the personification of that "Headstrong" song

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I can't help but think of Poochie when I look at that picture. Like a group of executives gathered around trying to think of ways to reinvent the Joker to make him appeal to modern kids. I'm sure there's a hashtag tattoo somewhere on him.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

Oh for fucks sake. Jared Leto's joker is inspired by mexican cartel fashion. Which is perfect since a lot of what the cartels get up to is pretty much as close to the Joker's M.O. you're going to get in the real world.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jutsuka posted:

Oh for fucks sake. Jared Leto's joker is inspired by mexican cartel fashion.

Sounds like a lovely idea, which explains the lovely end result.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

mycot posted:

Rastafarian Joker

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

A. Everything he says is terrible

B. He's probably a rapist.

Worse that both of that he's pretty terrible in everything I've seen him in.
Hey maybe he'll be good but playing the joker needs some charm(especially if their going for such an aggressively flamboyant version.) and I doubt Letro has any charm in his self important miserable soul.

Anyway Jessica Jones looks good I can't wait to see Tennant let lose as a baddie.
Only downsides are the fact that Jessica Jones is a pretty weak name for it and I've never seen Ritter be good in anything.
But Daredevil was pretty great so hopefully this will be too...

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Joker doesn't look any "worse" than any other character in the movie. The deranged, "garish" -- and I don't mean that as a negative -- visual style is exactly what they're going for. Heck, it's even less of a departure from his classic look than Ledger's Joker was. And, yes, a couple of interpretations of him have looked like this in the comics...and, no, a thing is not good just because it existed in print form, but it'd be a great feat of revisionist gymnastics to suddenly denounce Batman RIP as bad.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Sounds like a lovely idea, which explains the lovely end result.

No. It sounds like a great idea, which explains the great end result. I love the look of this Joker because he looks like a revolting piece of poo poo, which is exactly what the Joker is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Hey maybe he'll be good but playing the joker needs some charm(especially if their going for such an aggressively flamboyant version.) and I doubt Letro has any charm in his self important miserable soul.

Well, he does have an Oscar.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I'm not sure that's worse than being a rapist.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Cythereal posted:

Rad Cunningham from Moonbeam City has come to life!

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not sure that's worse than being a rapist.

Well obviously it's not but in relation to me liking his version of the Joker as unfortunate as it might sound it is. (Let's not turn this into a Polanski style debate.)

I actually don't mind the white-trash look but I don't think he can pull it off.
Although I've just remembered Dallas Buyers Club and he was ok in that and that was a role that could have been terrible if played wrong.
So maybe he won't be too bad even if he is a fuckwit in daily life.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
My view is that Grant Morrison Joker is an entirely acceptable form of the Joker to be and that in the three seconds we've actually seen him, he's loving terrifying, so I see no reason to pre-judge this as bad.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jutsuka posted:

Oh for fucks sake. Jared Leto's joker is inspired by mexican cartel fashion. Which is perfect since a lot of what the cartels get up to is pretty much as close to the Joker's M.O. you're going to get in the real world.

I think you kind of nailed it here. I'm not feeling this Joker at all so far but I'll with hold final judgement. I wasn't certain about Ledger either at first.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cythereal posted:

:fap:

Also I'm loving trippin', I'm watching Dark Knight Rises again, and holy poo poo is that Christopher Judge playing Mercenary#456 ??

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
"That's not the Joker because I'm not interested in him."

People trying to make the Joker "interesting" is actually what's made the Joker terrible, because it makes him way too, well, serious. He's the Clown Prince of Crime and can go gently caress himself. I'm all on board the deconstruction of why the Joker sucks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Joker's popularity will not be deconstructed in the Will Smith vehicle Suicide Squad.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

Sorry, I misremembered my golden age Superman.

He definitely let a crooked boss die in his own unsafe mine that one time, too.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but reaching back to the super, SUPER early issues where they were barely characters is a bit weird. Batman kills like 5 people in his first issue, too, but you'd say that a modern Batman with no compulsion against killing "wasn't really Batman" and I don't think that would be too insane. Superman, as known by the general public, has had a pretty consistent personality in basically every medium I've ever seen him in. Joker's an excuse to do what you feel like doing.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I just don't like the tattoos. Other than that I don't care.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Yeah I don't feel strongly about his look. He looks like a Joker so that's acceptable to me.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

Good. I'm glad they're trying something "different"

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I think he looks like crap in the promo pics they've released but looks fine in the context of the movie trailer. I don't have a strong opinion either way about Leto's acting, so I'm just staying cautiously optimistic/curious his Joker and the movie in general.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Empire promo pictures always look terrible for some reason. Most of the time they tend to turn out fine.

Ugh Joker in sweatpants though. No one looks good in sweatpants.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Blockhouse posted:

A. Everything he says is terrible

B. He's probably a rapist.

Sucks that he's probably a piece of poo poo in real life, its kind of cool that Jonny Jonny Frost is in the movie. These are my thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

twistedmentat posted:

Empire promo pictures always look terrible for some reason. Most of the time they tend to turn out fine.

Ugh Joker in sweatpants though. No one looks good in sweatpants.

In his defense those appear to be Arkham general issue, so I guess he didn't have much choice? Maybe?

I think someone else said that it was "tryhard" and I kind of have to agree. I'm all for new interpretations of existing characters, but I think this is going a little too far into the white trash side. I don't hate the idea of Joker as "Meth Dealer with a flair for the dramatic", but this is giving off the wrong vibe. Vicious? Sure. Crazy? Sure. Sadistic? Yeah. Creepy? Oh my yes. What little we've been shown in action so far seems to tick those boxes. But there is this air of hillbilly gang banger that seems to be permeating this version. Like there is this weird immaturity surrounding this version. Like rebellious, but without direction. It's distilled "gently caress you, Dad!"

"Look at me! I'm driving without a seat belt! I'm hurting people, really, really bad. I have tattoos. I'm dangerous and exciting! See how crazy I am? That forehead tattoo is permanent; that poo poo ain't no sharpie."

But there's no joke. What have other Joker's done in film? Taint health and beauty supplies that in random combinations will kill you and turn you into Joker knock offs. Kill everyone with poison gas from creepy balloons while tempting them into the streets with piles of cash raining from the sky. Test the resolve of the citizens of Gotham by giving two boats the means and motivation to blow each other up, and if they don't play, blow em up anyway. Poison the local fish supply so that they get his same creepy smile, and then try to profit off of sales of said fish. Maybe it's been a long time since I've read a recent Joker story, but there's always something. He's never just "kill everybody". There's always something more to it. But this guy Is all chaos, without finesse. Like this is a guy who has no plan, except gently caress everyone.

He's like a goofy teenager who's posturing so much that it can only be seen as bravado. There's no menace to what he's doing, it's all small potatoes. That's why we have him in a Suicide Squad movie and not a Batman movie. Because Batman would drop him with one punch and that would be the end of it. He'd curl up in a ball and cry himself to sleep in his cell and probably question his life up to this point. There are a hundred ways to interpret the Joker, any of them valid, but this one just seems to miss the mark in a lot of ways. And yeah, all we've seen is stills and maybe 30 seconds of footage, but if this is the impression that all the media we've seen so far gives us, how good can the final product be?

• Locked thread