Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Sorry these two are funny too. Same guy.

quote:

And regarding poland..

Poland was a villain state that time, it aggressively attacked more countrys and let more wars during its short lifetime after ww1, then the 2nd German Empire, and tried to attack germany several times pre 1939, always trying to urge france to invade germany, even before hitler came to power.
Check your facts, poland was probably more of an bad boy than germany during that time in terms of foreign policy.

quote:

The issue with poland wasnt the territory per-se by the way, it was that poland was basically "torturing" germany with horrobly high transit-fee´s for train connection/connection between prussia and east prussia..

If poland would have refrained from charging customs/high fees, probably there could have been peaceful solution.

In fact, i believe that the korridor/danzig was far more important than sudetenland/bohemia..

And the other territorys, germany occupied werent "germany" as often depicted, they were occupied, but germany didnt plan annexing those provinces, they were occupied to "prevent" britain to occupy those territorys - strategically occupied so to speak. There was discussion of annexing denmark, but other than that, those occupied provinces would have regained independence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
More depressing than funny I would say. How can you be so lacking basic self awareness even if you are a massive Nazi shithead?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

More depressing than funny I would say. How can you be so lacking basic self awareness even if you are a massive Nazi shithead?

Wow maybe actually read what he says much? He's not a nazi, he's a monarchist. Like most normal modern Germans.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's because the Nazis already lost WW2, while we can still dream of them returning and conquering Earth in the future!
Can satellites of a planet be considered the home for a people? Can Nazis have a base on the Moon?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Ofaloaf posted:

Can satellites of a planet be considered the home for a people? Can Nazis have a base on the Moon?

What did you think Neuschwabenland really was about?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'd be very disappointed if we can't have colonisable moons. Maybe not moons as small and inhospitable as ours, but larger moons certainly ought to be I would hope.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Looking at this image

Who is on the left? The Guy on the right is the Communist leader of Norway, but that other guy looks nothing like Molotov or Litvinov, so either not the foreign minister, or the Soviet AI appointed someone else.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 27, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

10/10 thread

quote:

If it wasn't for all of that that madness and hate, AH would probably be remembered sort of like Napoleon for trying to conquer Europe and ultimately failing

Bonus: constant and unironic use of the phrase "history is written by the winners"

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Noted arch-villain empire builder 20th century Poland

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hitler cried as he signed the extermination orders. "What have you made me done, Poland?"

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I quite agree, if he hadn't been literally Hitler, Hitler would have been remembered differently.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
So I booted up EU4 for the first time in months, and I can't figure out how the new fort system works. Does it deny supply to enemy armies or something?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

They block movement pass adjacent zones.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Agean90 posted:

They block movement pass adjacent zones.

Also if you siege down a province adjacent to an active fort but don't control the fort, the province will switch back once you leave it.

Also also you usually need to control a nearby fort to get a warscore going.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Ofaloaf posted:

HOI4 needs a Wolfenstein New Order timeline scenario.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Palleon posted:

HOI4 needs a Wolfenstein New Order timeline scenario.

I am honestly really curious about what kinds of DLC they end up releasing for this game. It seems to me that they could set it up to extend into the Cold War. I think that there are a lot of elements already in place that might make something like that possible, although they would need to flesh out peacetime mechanics a lot more.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ArchangeI posted:

I quite agree, if he hadn't been literally Hitler, Hitler would have been remembered differently.

Literally Hitler rolls off the tongue a lot better than Literally Tojo though, so in that regard I'm glad not to live in the alternate timeline.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Sharmat posted:

Noted arch-villain empire builder 20th century Poland
I like too the idea that the Netherlands and Denmark declared war on Germany. Yes, Denmark, a tiny flat country right next door to Germany, with an obsolete military which could probably be conquered by the German police forces, decided that declaring war on Germany was a good idea. Not sure of the state of the Dutch military, but the rest still holds for them too. At least Poland was actually a somewhat aggressive/imperialist country at the time, even if perhaps not unusually so. (Especially compared to its two larger neighbors.)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Sorry these two are funny too. Same guy.

Hmm, I agree that high public transport prices justifies total war and conquest and is a measured, proportionate response. As my local government has raised bus prices significantly lately I believe I am justified in calling for revolution and sending the mayor to the guillotine.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Also if you siege down a province adjacent to an active fort but don't control the fort, the province will switch back once you leave it.

You need to control at least one fort to demand any provinces because the AI has a -1000 modifier so if you have 60% warscore from battles, blockades, and like, occupying the Canaries, Castile will never give in because you 'dont have any adjacent forts'.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Hitler cried as he signed the extermination orders. "What have you made me done, Poland?"

Twitter posted:

Hitler was planning for a vacation to Poland, but after talking with the Mufti... #TheMuftiChangedMyMind

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Tuskin38 posted:

Looking at this image

Who is on the left? The Guy on the right is the Communist leader of Norway, but that other guy looks nothing like Molotov or Litvinov, so either not the foreign minister, or the Soviet AI appointed someone else.

It's you

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

vyelkin posted:

Personally I can't wait for all of the human race's engineering research to be headed up by a 21-year-old.

That's obviously in Alpha Centuarian years... oh my god, you're not one of those Earth First assholes, are you?

Randarkman posted:

I expect the limit on leaders in Stellaris will be like the limit on military leaders in EU4. You can go over the limit but it will cost you something in upkeep. Influence or whatever seems like the logical choice. Some ideas and decisions and triggered modifiers can increase the limit and so on.

Or they could go the Victoria 2 route and make you research better communications technology or faster warp engines or something to manage more?

I'm guessing an interstellar empire would have a ton of problems in trying to govern planets/colonies if it takes months or years for orders and replacements to reach them. Especially if the political system isn't exactly run by the best and brightest. (basically all the problems that the British empire had in the 1700's, but in space.)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

More from that terrible thread:

quote:

Things done/committed by german forces or the politics germany executed in its occupied provinces has nothing to do with this, nor will i argue about it. It doesnt belong into this forum, i only say that i would fight for my country, because its my country, if it was in war with another country, i would always choose the side of my country, no matter if my country is aggressor or not, no matter if my country is evil or saint, no matter what would have to be executed. Because thats what it means to serve your country, you do different, you are a traitor. Thats the same for US forces in Iraq.

But lets not talk about what germany did and what not. Fact is: You dont have to sympathise with the government to support your country in war.
There were enough wehrmacht officers and probably even generals that were no "true" nazi´s, they just served their country.

Clean Wehrmacht sighted! How far along are we on Wehraboo bingo?

Also that quote reminds me of a line from the Aubrey/Maturin series:

quote:

“But you know as well as I, patriotism is a word; and one that generally comes to mean either my country, right or wrong, which is infamous, or my country is always right, which is imbecile.”

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

This reminds me, I think Wiz posted about new fort ZoC rules in 1.14, have they discussed any details yet? I assume this is going to be making it somewhat more inutitive so you don't have guys just waltzing through your forts half the time in the HRE.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm guessing that Nazi even thinks the war is Poland's fault for not negotiating with Germany. Never mind the fact that the Germans deliberately made it almost impossible for the Poles to negotiate by poorly communicating their demands, not to Poland, but to the British ambassador, setting impossible deadlines and even when the Poles did indicate that they wanted to negotiate (after having missed the deadline, because it was announced at night and expired the same midnight) the Germans refused to acknowledge the Polish ambassador's authority to negotiate a treaty.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Plus there was the Gleiwitz 'incident.'

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Literally Hitler rolls off the tongue a lot better than Literally Tojo though, so in that regard I'm glad not to live in the alternate timeline.

'Technically Tojo'

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Also I like that he says the tariffs were "Basically Torture", which is juts a hair's breath away from "a holocaust of fees" and I have to think he was going to type that but realized it was against forum rules.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

viccy 2 can get real brutal

I actually had to move in an extra 60k men from germany to battle when GB realised he had 100k more men standing in Ireland which were doing nothing

both of those battles started with the AI moving like 200k of their men onto a 60 stack of mine, and I could largely ignore it for like 3 months before reinforcing because gas is just so good

Another Person fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 27, 2015

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
The funny thing is, as soon as it was used and everyone sorted out gas masks, gas ultimately never ended up contributing decisively in any battle.

Fact of the day; whilst Germany was the first to use gas attacks, they basically didn't do themselves any favours, because in the course of World War I, the British would use twice as many gas attacks as the Germans. Moral of the fact: Be careful what you set as military precedent, even if it ends up being useless.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I know it isn't the focus of the game, but I'm reading a book on the 1870 war now and I think it's a shame that V2 never really graps that 'mobilisation wins wars' paradigm that gripped warfare from 1860 up to 1914. There's so much potential in fleshing that concept out and linking it to the Crisis system to bring so much more tension to the game.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Have they said anything about whether or not Communist China will be its own country in HoI 4?

I know that China doesn't get a unique national focus tree at launch, but it seems obvious that one is going to be added as a DLC. Having a branch there that allows you to choose between favoring the Communists, the Nationalists, or a somewhat unstable (at first) coalition government, seems like something that would fit into there judging by what we've already seen of focus trees. With the choices you make influencing what countries you will have direct control over while other areas will be seized by rebels or breakway states or something. Maybe even have the option of sucking up to the Japanese and allowing the Emperor Puyi to return at the cost of making both the Nationalists and the Communists hate your guts with a passion.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Alchenar posted:

I know it isn't the focus of the game, but I'm reading a book on the 1870 war now and I think it's a shame that V2 never really graps that 'mobilisation wins wars' paradigm that gripped warfare from 1860 up to 1914. There's so much potential in fleshing that concept out and linking it to the Crisis system to bring so much more tension to the game.

We wanted to do more with it, but HoD did change it so you didn't mobilise all in one lump, instead troops mobile over time with the speed based on your rail infra levels.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

A Buttery Pastry posted:

...I guess Greco-Roman?

I am deadly serious.

No, just no. The Roman Empire had its moment, just let it die and rest in peace.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

We wanted to do more with it, but HoD did change it so you didn't mobilise all in one lump, instead troops mobile over time with the speed based on your rail infra levels.

Yeah I totally understand there's no realistic way for it to have happened in V2's development. The more I turn it over in my head, the more I think it would also need a fundamental change in the way railways exist in the game - rather than being generic province improvements they would need to be actual directional lines linking one area to another. A big deal in the 1870 war was that the Prussian rail network had largely been developed under state guidance for the purpose of aiding mobilisation, whereas the French network was largely privately owned and commercial in focus - that feels like something which would have lots of potential in providing interesting player choices in terms of how they want their infrastructure spending to be focused.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Groogy posted:

No, just no. The Roman Empire had its moment, just let it die and rest in peace.

I'm going to make Space-Rome in the next MP game :)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Groogy posted:

Ah, Victorian Steampunk culture then? A wise move, tapping into that market. Very wise.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

I'm going to make Space-Rome in the next MP game :)

EU:R2 confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

I'm kinda curious, can you talk about any of the other plans for Victoria 2 that fell by the wayside for whatever reason?