Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

User can't open PDF attachment from an email...

Adobe Reader and Chrome's built-in PDF reader both fail reading it. Other PDF files work fine on the machine.

It's a small file, so I try opening it in Notepad just to see what it looks like. Turns out the entire file is Base64 encoded? No visible PDF prelude or anything, but running it through a Base64 decoder gives a full valid PDF.

Any ideas what can cause that? User says someone forwarded the mail from an iPhone at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

uh.. a virus?

Nah, it probably got base64 encoded twice.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
It wasn't too bad - it was actually quite nice outside despite the gloomy-looking weather. Think it was in the mid-60's or so. Not shown is the other window beside it, which was open. Plus, it was a triple-pane insert, and only 2 of the three panes were broken. Maintenance responded in an hour with a replacement insert and was in and out in about 15 minutes total.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Subject: Screenshots of
To: Senior IT Engineer (me)
CC: Senior Software Architect, Senior Management
Body:
<screenshot of UAC credentials prompt>
This doesnt work. The permissions I need are not granted. This is stopping me from getting work done.

About 20min later (all on Sunday while I was travelling)

Subject: RE: Screenshots of
To: Senior IT Engineer (me)
Body:
We need to find a permanent solution so this doesnt continue to happen. Please get this resolved immediately. This is unacceptable.

Hey cool. So uh. Have you tried typing your username and password in?
My final comments on the incident when it was marked resolved:
"Confirmed resolved by typing in username and password when prompted.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Remote Hands request posted:

I was down to Portland yesterday because we had an issue with a drive/controller. I am hoping you can help as I'm 4 hours away.

In our rack, there is a Dell PowerEdge R415 - about mid rack. Sitting on top is a desktop box that is a bit precarious. It has no cover on it and some cables, etc. that are somewhat loose. We can power it off right before you complete the following:

1. Carefully slide the 415 forward. I had to pull a little and then check the cable arm in the back to ensure nothing was snagged.

2. As I slid the 415 forward I pushed the Desktop machine that sits on top of it back. I actually placed a small toolbox that is in the rack (yellow) behind the 415 on the left side (facing the back of the rack) to provide some support for the desktop machine when it comes off the 415 completely.

3. The desktop machine should now be sitting on the cable arm and the toolbox and the 415 pulled out all the way.

4. The 415 will still be running so use caution.

5. Press and hold the button on top of the 415's case and gently slide the cover back (it does take some force). I hold the sides and use my thumbs, one on the button and one on the indented "arrow" on the opposite side.

6. Remove the cover

7. In the front of the server there are 4 drive bays - they are beneath a fixed metal plate. Second from the right there is a loose SSD drive in one of the bays this our target.

CALL me at this point so we can walk through troubleshooting together. [telephone]

8. Ensuring you are work with the correct drive is critical. It is in front of the fans (watch fingers) and is second from the right side of the server (facing the server from the front of the rack).
[screenshot]

9. What we need to do is try to get this drive to wake up. When I was there yesterday I unplugged it for a minute and then plugged it in again. I also ended up moving it from one connector to the other. When I was there it was in Bay 1 and just unplugging and plugging it did not bring it online. I moved it to the Bay 2 connector and it worked. We may try moving it to bay 1 again.

You'll have to call me at step 7 - [telephone] - so we can walk through it together.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

quote:

First of all these are not students… these are adults and they paid good money to take a course
I don’t understand the need for such high security for something as simple as access a shared computer
And further more I don’t understand the need for such hi security and complicated passwords

I am rather embarrassed about the whole thing not to mention its happened twice now in a row…

All I am asking is for you to give me their user names and passwords so I can test it the day before
Their class… so that I can assure them it works…
Where not dealing with high security risk here… I am an instructor I am on your team…
Why would risk my employment by using their user names and passwords un ethically….

Now I am insulted…

If you can’t give me their sign on and passwords for pre testing and assuring workablility than please give me your
Personal home number so I can call you after hours in hopes to resolve the conection issues…

From an instructor who teaches evening courses here at the college, and has students are having trouble logging in. The students who were having trouble logging had expired passwords and couldn't figure out how to enter a new valid password when prompted. We give an emergency generic account to instructors who have evening classes, since there's no IT staff on after 5pm, but this instructor keeps spelling the generic accounts username incorrectly. it's Classname_1, he keeps entering Classname_01 no matter how many times he's corrected on this.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

"Enjoy the drive."

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Oh my god I hope the answer was "Hell no!"

I am sure it was not :(

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hungry Computer posted:

From an instructor who teaches evening courses here at the college, and has students are having trouble logging in. The students who were having trouble logging had expired passwords and couldn't figure out how to enter a new valid password when prompted. We give an emergency generic account to instructors who have evening classes, since there's no IT staff on after 5pm, but this instructor keeps spelling the generic accounts username incorrectly. it's Classname_1, he keeps entering Classname_01 no matter how many times he's corrected on this.

Hahahaha. Tell me he's teaching computer skills, that would make this perfect.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

flosofl posted:

Hahahaha. Tell me he's teaching computer skills, that would make this perfect.

Close, it's an introductory AutoCAD course.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kensei posted:

Oh my god I hope the answer was "Hell no!"

I am sure it was not :(
We actually had a guy show up at that datacenter on his off day to provide training for tonight's legacy patching and then he got stuck doing it. I don't think it was a Russian bride vendor this time.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Hungry Computer posted:

Tell him that since everything is so low-security he should just give his username and password out for the class to use.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Knormal posted:

Tell him that since everything is so low-security he should just give his username and password out for the class to use.

This is a better response than I have been able to come up with in the last hour.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

A ticket from a user came in saying their MacBook Pro's keyboard is not working anymore and they are not sure why. Go to their office, user mentions they had used a can of air, before the issue happened, to clean out their keyboard because it looked dirty. I ask to see the can of air since they didn't come to the IT area to grab one of the many we have.

User goes into desk drawer and retrieves a nice deep blue and yellow canister.

User is now getting a new laptop.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Alighieri posted:

A ticket from a user came in saying their MacBook Pro's keyboard is not working anymore and they are not sure why. Go to their office, user mentions they had used a can of air, before the issue happened, to clean out their keyboard because it looked dirty. I ask to see the can of air since they didn't come to the IT area to grab one of the many we have.

User goes into desk drawer and retrieves a nice deep blue and yellow canister.

User is now getting a new laptop.

Yeah, but that MBP is going to smell amazing!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
100% chance that guy just wanted this year's Mac.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

100% chance that guy just wanted this year's Mac.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Silly user, MacBooks don't have mechanical keyboards!

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Knormal posted:

Guess what he admitted to in a later email:

quote:

The first class I had in my hand a piece of paper containing all 8 adults sign on and password…
You would think I could of copied them down and memorised them but I didn’t

I am merly wanting to avoid a third disappointment and frustration on lab no.3

I’ve been having to sign everyone whos sign in wouldn’t work under my name… how do you think that looks
Yet dangerous on my part because they now have access to all my files….

He was called in for a meeting about this today, which is the first time I've ever seen action taken against someone for security breaches. Well, this quickly anyhow. Probably because we just failed our security audit for the 4th year running.

For some reason I can't stop laughing at his insistence on referring to students as adults. This is a college, most of the students are adults.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I read that email probably 5 times over before I think I understand what they said. I can see why they don't understand the security implications here.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Spam Trap posted:

ATTN:
Good day sir,here is the copy of the Payment made ,kindly find the attachment copy and please check with your bank to confirm the receipt of the payment and do the needful by dispatching the material as early as possible.
We hope you will do the needful and let us know the dispatch details.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Sonnet xMac Mini Servers are great. You shove a Mac Mini in there and you have PCI expansion in a nice 1U form factor.

Their lovely rails are another story. My hands are covered in grease and I still haven't gotten the drat things to play nice. Fuckers like to jam up, there are no instructions and they decided to put screws for every variation in the package.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Alighieri posted:

to clean out their keyboard because it looked dirty.

gently caress yeah smells like... machines victory, also probably cleaned the poo poo out of it too.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I read that email probably 5 times over before I think I understand what they said. I can see why they don't understand the security implications here.

I like how he realized there might be security issues with giving his credentials out to people, but has trouble understanding why him having other's credentials might be a problem. Also I'm fairly certain giving him access to student accounts is illegal under FOIPPA (Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act :canada:)

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Hungry Computer posted:

I like how he realized there might be security issues with giving his credentials out to people, but has trouble understanding why him having other's credentials might be a problem. Also I'm fairly certain giving him access to student accounts is illegal under FOIPPA (Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act :canada:)

You are correct. It is.

:hfive: Canada goon buddy

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

quote:

Can you log onto Steves computer? He's having issues with it. He rebooted it and now it's just spinning...??
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

"I'll try to remote in, but I might get really dizzy. Could you have him try holding the tower still first?"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

MiniFoo posted:

"I'll try to remote in, but I might get really dizzy. Could you have him try holding the tower still first?"

Sometimes I was pronouns cost actual money to use, like vowels on Wheel of Fortune. Supervisor does this constantly. He just walks in and launches into stories without a proper noun in sight and gets annoyed when you ask who or what the gently caress he's actually talking about.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

larchesdanrew posted:

Sometimes I was pronouns cost actual money to use, like vowels on Wheel of Fortune. Supervisor does this constantly. He just walks in and launches into stories without a proper noun in sight and gets annoyed when you ask who or what the gently caress he's actually talking about.

My wife does this, it's infuriating.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Gerdalti posted:

My wife does this, it's infuriating.

So does my and it's really annoying.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I hate it when that happens. It's worse when she won't tell him what it is.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

Sometimes I was pronouns cost actual money to use

Is there an OSHA limit to your daily CE exposure? Because you're over it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
ICO.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like? You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Shaka, when the words fell

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Buffalo! It's Hard Drives Full!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

18 Character Limit posted:

Is there an OSHA limit to your daily CE exposure? Because you're over it.

Autocorrect :colbert:

I actually took the day off. My kid came down with croup at about one this morning and I've been up with him since. So mostly exhaustion, but also autocorrect.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Creepy reporter, his antenna transmitting.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
blackswordca, his audit log entrapped

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

blackswordca, his audit log entrapped

midelne, his boss run over

Adbot