Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Does the game remember what you paid for a ship when you decide to sell it? In other words, will the game buy it back at the discount price if you bought it at discount, or will you get full price back for it regardless what you initially paid?

Basically I'm wondering if I can ferry anacondas from those Li Yong Whatever systems to normal prices systems and make a tidy profit while doing so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scapulor
Nov 21, 2005

The man with the magic scapulae
Pillbug

Aramoro posted:

I've cashed in my points so I've got 130 stored in my rank screen. I was just doing the military strikes to try out various fitting for my Viper, I can't decide between 2x Pulse Laser 2's and 2x Multicannon 1's or 2x Multicannon 2's and 2x Beam Laser 1's

How about 2 lasers on the right, 2 multicannons on the left? Never flown a viper, but that's what I did in my cobra.

(Gimballed, though, at least one side. wouldn't work so well with fixed stuff)

Scapulor fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 26, 2015

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Siets posted:

Does the game remember what you paid for a ship when you decide to sell it? In other words, will the game buy it back at the discount price if you bought it at discount, or will you get full price back for it regardless what you initially paid?

Basically I'm wondering if I can ferry anacondas from those Li Yong Whatever systems to normal prices systems and make a tidy profit while doing so?
I'm pretty sure it remembers, though it used to not.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

It remembers all costs paid, ships and components, as that's how it determines your insurance rebut cost.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

radintorov posted:

I'd switch around the throttle, thrust, UI focus and Boost keys around.
My current setup uses the WASD keys for thrusters, R and F as the throttle, Shift for the Boost, Tab for UI focus and X for Throttle to 0%. If you use a mouse, bind Yaw and Pitch to it and use either the Q and E keys for roll, or A and D depending on what you find more comfortable with. Also make sure that "Yaw Into Roll" is disabled and that the "Show Mouse Widget" is turned on.
Also you'll want the Power Management keys close-by, and the arrow keys are too far for that: I have mine bound as SYS=F1, ENG=F2 and WEP=F3, which are much easier and faster to access.

Ah thanks so much yeah this looks like it will really help!

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Natsuumi posted:

It remembers all costs paid, ships and components, as that's how it determines your insurance rebut cost.
Wait, are you saying that if you buy a ship at a discount the insurance is cheaper?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yup.

Works for internals too, which is why Founder's World is so great. You get 10% off both.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Pretty sure you just get the discount for a single rebuy, then it goes back up to the normal cost.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You shouldn't make a habit of exploding anyway.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I blew all my money on a ship to carry cargo and now I have one explosion left before bankrupcy

Better get my rear end to HiRes

Kowboat
Mar 3, 2006

Grenouilles Sans Frontieres

GaylordButts posted:

Pretty sure you just get the discount for a single rebuy, then it goes back up to the normal cost.

Nope. People have tested this, it stays the same.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
There've been a lot of posts about inescapable NPC interdictions lately, but has anyone been experiencing the opposite? For the last week, I'd say four out of five interdictions quickly result in the blue tunnel bugging out and skewing sideways immediately but flickering and glitching to other directions as it does so, lasting about a second before the interdiction reports as a successful evasion and I go on my way.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Sard posted:

There've been a lot of posts about inescapable NPC interdictions lately, but has anyone been experiencing the opposite? For the last week, I'd say four out of five interdictions quickly result in the blue tunnel bugging out and skewing sideways immediately but flickering and glitching to other directions as it does so, lasting about a second before the interdiction reports as a successful evasion and I go on my way.
I've had this happen but not often.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Sard posted:

That happened to me twice, and both times I was quickly interdicted again and lost.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Bought the adder and immediately regretted it once I saw the cockpit. Did a few smuggling missions to get into a pretty okay viper and wow. This ship does not like to stop at all. Brakes like wet noodles.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sard posted:

Of the glitched-out tunnels I've run into, I've probably had 25/75 between "rapid run-up of the evasion bar" and "hah gently caress you you're instantly falling out, no I don't care you had 8 bars, no I don't care your throttle is 0, you're taking hull damage son"

So I ended up picking up some medium beam lasers and homing missiles for my asp and gently caress their poo poo up instead. I'll probably enjoy the evasion aspect of smuggling a lot more if and when :frontear: gets around to fixing that bullshit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When I was in populated space and got sick of dumbasses interdicting me I would just do the trick where you submit to the interdiction and then jump to another system 5 seconds later. It sounds like there's sometimes too many interdictions to be able to do that now though without just getting interdicted again when you come back.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I want to gank people and ruin their day because I'm in a lovely mood and want to share the love. I have a Clipper, but I'm too poor to PVP fit it - it's just hauling freight at the moment.. Can anyone suggest ships and loadouts in the <20m range?

CQC is fun and all but I want pubbie tears.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Hey uh what's the IRC info again

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Kowboat
Mar 3, 2006

Grenouilles Sans Frontieres

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Hey uh what's the IRC info again

Channel's in the OP of the PGS thread.

Kowboat fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 27, 2015

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Headed to goonspace on the xbone.

Only 20 more jumps.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Trip report: The FDS is in fact turning out to be a very viable mining ship. I've gotten it up to B-rating with lots more spare credits from painite/platinum hauls. Good enough defenses that I can stack up resource missions ahead of time and any associated NPC harassment is just bonus pay instead of something I'd have to run from. One question, though- can I crash into a planetary ring in supercruise at any speed and survive, does the damage incurred not exceed a few percent?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
On my two mining asp runs before I got tired of it I crash-stopped into a ring at <500 km/s and sustained little damage if any.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
It's like 2% max. Go nuts.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
You can also ram into it at 1Mm/sec or less and just drop out without damage, just like mashing J for emergency stop.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Rad. Now if I could just get the bulletin boards to refresh with PPO payouts more often.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looking for the best loadout for a Cobra to make money shooting guys. From what I read 2 pulse lasers in the medium hardpoints, and 2 multi cannons on the small hardpoints? Are missiles good?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Romes128 posted:

Looking for the best loadout for a Cobra to make money shooting guys. From what I read 2 pulse lasers in the medium hardpoints, and 2 multi cannons on the small hardpoints? Are missiles good?
Missiles are useless against shields but deal decent hull damage; however you'll end up having to rearm every few engagements given the limited ammo.
Meanwhile multi-cannons can actually damage shields in addition of chewing through hulls and the higher ammo capacity makes them more sustainable in PvE than almost all other non-laser weapons.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Awesome. Does it matter which hardpoints (medium and small on the Cobra) each weapon goes on?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Romes128 posted:

Awesome. Does it matter which hardpoints (medium and small on the Cobra) each weapon goes on?
Yes. In the case of non-missile weapons it affects the damage (with bigger=stronger), while with missiles (dumbfire and heatseeking) and torpedoes all it changes is the amount of ammo you can hold, which is probably why this type of weapon is limited to size 1 and 2 only.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Frontier announced that they are going to livestream some more Horizon content (this time focusing on planetary combat) this evening at 1900 GMT on their Youtube channel.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Made 3m in 40 minutes in a really good HiRes

Promptly lost it next round when I took on 3 Pythons at once with my shields already collapsed

I don't make good decisions

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Have smuggling missions been a thing for a while? I haven't played properly since Wings. If they have missions where they give you the cargo and tell you where to smuggle it to (instead of the old searching out illicit goods & smuggling them thing) that'd be awesome. Sneaking into stations undetected was always one of the most fun things you could do in the game. Sound like they pay well also?

What's the verdict on CQC? I never once had the chance to try PVP, and the structures and stuff they have looked pretty cool too so that looked pretty exciting to me.

Also I am very psyched to try this out with Vive/Oculus when they come out. I got to try the DK2 at the BFI film festival last weekend and it was a lot better than I'd thought in terms of lens distortion - in fact the sweet spot in the middle seemed to be pretty huge.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Smuggling missions are a thing, but it's usually easier to blast into the station than sneak. If you get fined there's no penalty besides a fraction of the mission fee.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Or there's no penalty at all if you just ignore the fine!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I tried out CQC last night and found it to be pretty fun, with the caveat that the matchmaker is perfectly willing to put Rank 1 and Rank 40 players in the the same match :negative:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

I tried out CQC last night and found it to be pretty fun, with the caveat that the matchmaker is perfectly willing to put Rank 1 and Rank 40 players in the the same match :negative:

Yeah, the ensuing slaughterfest is always hilarious.

On the other hand, I reached rank 12 yesterday, got multicannons for the Sidewinder and went to town. I also finally understood how the targetting for slower-than-light guns work and started hitting things with my plasma repeaters (Condor) and multicannons (Sidewinder). (:v:)

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxUTuzIjG_E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
They are live now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frontierdevelopments?live

• Locked thread