Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The only problem I have with action camera is sometimes it doesn't want to let me actually target whatever I'm attacking (necessary for phantasms) and occasionally even after I have my mob targeted it lags a little. So like, I'll target a dude, hit my button, and get the "you must have an enemy targeted" error anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhuagh
Apr 27, 2008
For anyone missing ICM functionality, it's been updated to integrate with the new action camera quite nicely. It lets you rebind any key/button while in action can mode so you change left mouse to 1 to get your auto attack on click and right button to whatever (I like dodge).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Arus can't buy gems, there goes Anet's revenue stream. Shut it down, boys

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey guys (dentists in particular), I've got a pretty good HP train route figured out that will get you 8/11 points in Verdant Brink and 7/11 points in Auric Basin with almost nothing more than gliding. One of the AB points technically requires mushroom bouncing, and one technically requires exalted marks, but if a mesmer is in the train, those can be bypassed. Total run time today was a little under an hour and a half.

Starting tomorrow, I'll be running an HP train each night after teq/maw (so about 30 min after reset) for the next week or so. This will get you 150 points with very little effort, and if you've got central tyria map completion, should get you trait-complete for an elite spec, and within 5-6 more challenges (maybe less, depending on if you got all the WvW map hero points) from the last utility skill and elite skill. It'll also get you all the WPs in the first two maps, for easier exploration, and a bunch of mastery XP. I'm hoping this will take some of the sting off of the grind.

Message me in game at Schpyder.2917 (or just use Fat Hobo or Nog Oon character names) if you want to get in on it. I won't be running on Friday (that's when GOON is capturing its guild hall) or Saturday (since I'm taking my dad out for his birthday) but I'll be around other than pretty much every night.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

So I haven't read the last ten pages because I've been playing. I really like this expansion, sorry if this post opens up some cans of worms.

I really like the masteries, and I've found that they level pretty quickly as I run alts through the jungle to grab skill points. I've never had to wait around very long for pubbies to show up at skill points, and if I wait longer than a couple minutes I toss a party invite in map chat and get people to help out quickly enough. I've also been doing various events and killing things for bladed armor skins and I find that my masteries level up pretty fast if I'm just not looking at the bar. Between those and the daily adventures, I'm getting quite a few HoT masteries. Some are pretty high cost, and I wouldn't find an xp decrease on masteries out of the question in the future.

Navigation is rad. At first the new maps were horrendously confusing, but I've gotten really good at getting around as I familiarize myself with all the little tricks. These maps definitely reward non-lateral thinking in a lot of places, while being wonderfully hand holdy about stacks of updrafts in other places. Updrafts and gliding mushrooms are great, nuhoch burrows really shine in Tangled Depths. You can skip a LOT of running around if you have burrows unlocked. Also climbing the big tree and grabbing a poi, a hero point, a mastery point, and a vista by flying around in the valley below the tree was really satisfying.

I really like jumping, and there have been LOTS of reward chests hidden in random places which has made my urge to jump around exploring really rewarding. I love using the new tools that masteries offer to get places. Some tools, like burrows, are less interesting just due to how scripted they are, but updrafts are really versatile and I find lots of pretty things.

I haven't really done much with central tyria masteries. I did CoF farm for maybe thirty minutes before getting super bored of it, and now I'm just planning on leveling them as I play. It'll be something to look forward to.

All my builds are a bit more defensive in the jungle. My main characters so far have been warrior and ranger. Warrior is using mace/shield with great success, and my ranger is using longbow/greatsword, which is a set with enough utility to be awesome. Also using my panther to aggro things is great, especially because the panther's F2 ability stealths it and prompts the enemy to retarget on me, which immediately gives the panther sweet, sweet damage reduction. I felt really accomplished by soloing a group of four of those loving rear end in a top hat dagger/dagger shortbow hylek with the stuns and ridiculously powerful poison pool attack. At first I died a lot, now I don't, and I feel really good about how I've gotten better at the jungle!

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Also one more thing: gently caress rolling devils, but they have a really weak break bar so if you cc them they're cake. Otherwise they roll on you nonstop and kill you in seconds.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

blah blah blah

I don't trust anything you say you made a mistake in the OP

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

khy posted:

I don't trust anything you say you made a mistake in the OP

where?!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm wrong it's not the OP but it's the second post

quote:

The Ranger's elite specialization is Tempest

This is obviously earth-shatteringly important you need to drop every single thing you do to fix it before it confuses someone for like a quarter of a second.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Priapus Unbound posted:

I felt really accomplished by soloing a group of four of those loving rear end in a top hat dagger/dagger shortbow hylek with the stuns and ridiculously powerful poison pool attack. At first I died a lot, now I don't, and I feel really good about how I've gotten better at the jungle!

While I do feel like a lot of the events are overturned, and some of the mob types are complete bullshit, I like that I actually have to play the game in order to not die. Most other (open world) pve content in the game is pretty brain dead and you can get by just spamming whatever.

vvv that's a good idea. I'll try it when I get home, thanks.

Hefty fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 27, 2015

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Hefty posted:

Oh, nice! A modifier key would be even better, but being able to toggle it on the fly is a p good start.

Well, if you bind it to say shift, you can hold shift while using a skill and it will basically work as a modifier key. The only difference is you have to keep holding shift until you use the skill. I have it bound to left ctrl and I use it that way.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The only problem I have with action camera is sometimes it doesn't want to let me actually target whatever I'm attacking (necessary for phantasms) and occasionally even after I have my mob targeted it lags a little. So like, I'll target a dude, hit my button, and get the "you must have an enemy targeted" error anyway.

Do you have autotarget enabled? I find it very useful for action camera. For instance, if I want to use Unrelenting Assault (which requires a target) on an enemy I'm not actually targeting, I just need to aim at said enemy and use the skill; it will temporarily lock on to that enemy and the skill will fire flawlessly. But it's not a hard lock, so you can aim at a different enemy and do the same thing, or aim elsewhere to lose target. If you need to keep a specific enemy targeted, you can do this and then press tab (with the default "next enemy" key binding) to lock on to that enemy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

khy posted:

I'm wrong it's not the OP but it's the second post

This is obviously earth-shatteringly important you need to drop every single thing you do to fix it before it confuses someone for like a quarter of a second.

Oh my god I'm so sorry m8, fixing now!!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, I certainly welcome the PvE content requiring some level of skill and thought like when you play PvP. But so many events there are just rooms with multiple champions one-shotting people and every square inch of floor is covered with insect swarms, and suicide bombers and snipers just making life miserable. The screen is covered in so much garbage that I don't know how much thought can make that soluble, let alone fun

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Wow, the final story mission is a real piece of work. One boss bugged out in my favor. The next boss was bugged out making it unable to be completed. After starting over, I finally got to the final boss. Too bad that bugged out numerous times putting objects you have to interact with in the middle of the sky, so I fall to my death trying to use them. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow or when there are patch notes about fixing the encounter.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Weird. Are you using a hard lock (ie RMB or Tab or whatever) or is it maybe just soft locking?

It took me a little while to get it setup to how I expected it to work, had to enable Autolock + Autopromote (to hard lock), but disable allowing it to change targets once hard locked. With ranged attacks I just always hard lock with RMB before firing, it does seem a little spotty sometimes if you don't do that. Still even with that, gotta use Tab sometimes if an enemy is swarmed by players or whatever.

The other sorta buggy thing I've noticed is that sometimes it just stops reading my forward input until I release W and repress it. It's only happened a few times but it's a little odd when it does.

Hopefully they clean up the bugs later, but even with the sorta iffy issues I find it so much easier to work with than the old one.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Liberatore posted:

Do you have autotarget enabled? I find it very useful for action camera. For instance, if I want to use Unrelenting Assault (which requires a target) on an enemy I'm not actually targeting, I just need to aim at said enemy and use the skill; it will temporarily lock on to that enemy and the skill will fire flawlessly. But it's not a hard lock, so you can aim at a different enemy and do the same thing, or aim elsewhere to lose target. If you need to keep a specific enemy targeted, you can do this and then press tab (with the default "next enemy" key binding) to lock on to that enemy.

Oh wow is that how autotarget works? I've never used it since as far as I knew the only function was forcing me to heartseek directly into a mob/player instead of bravely running away :saddowns:

Thanks!

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
That's how it works (kinda) if you don't use it with action camera. But with action camera it doesn't force a target unless your crosshair indicates you're aiming at an enemy.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Awesome! :)

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
My new SPVP Healing Rev

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tired of purple mesmers, I tried for some Symphony of the Night vibes:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Liberatore posted:

That's how it works (kinda) if you don't use it with action camera. But with action camera it doesn't force a target unless your crosshair indicates you're aiming at an enemy.

Trip report: you're my fuckin hero, dude :buddy:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

RMB also hard locks the enemy you have your crosshair over if you want to do it that way instead. I didn't even know the game had soft locking until the action camera. :goleft:

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

Your Computer posted:

I'm a boring purple Mesmer and I love this!! It's so good.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

I seriously can't settle between Warrior and Guardian and I might need to be put on suicide watch over it, which do people here personally prefer?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

brennon posted:

I seriously can't settle between Warrior and Guardian and I might need to be put on suicide watch over it, which do people here personally prefer?

Both.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

I really like that colour scheme. Mind if I steal it?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I finally got my Druid Shoulders and they look pretty boss with my spooky outfit.

They actually have all the ranger pet families represented on them! Including a shark!! They're super tiny and hard to see though. (dyed white to maybe make them show up better)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they're finally adding the outfit for the only actually interesting human god

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

implying any of them are interesting

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Abaddon did nothing wrong

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Your Computer posted:

Oh golly gosh I love this. The pants are Human cultural, right? I'm a salad gal and now I'm bummed.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Can't escape its gaze

also grenth is way more interesting, he was just an adventurer dude who killed a god and became the god and made his guild mates into grim reapers

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Does anyone know where to find a juvenile tiger? That's pretty much the only this I am interested in for my ranger out of this expansion.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Oh golly gosh I love this. The pants are Human cultural, right? I'm a salad gal and now I'm bummed.

They are :kimchi: I planned the outfit (and consequently, the character :v:) around those pants, in fact. Honestly didn't expect this response, but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Kerrrrrrr posted:

also grenth is way more interesting, he was just an adventurer dude who killed a god and became the god and made his guild mates into grim reapers

actually he was the demigod son of malchor and dwanya, which raises some logistical issues since malchor went insane from looking at dwanya so long, but also had the time to carve statues of his son, grenth. :confuoot:

(THEN he dethroned dhuum)

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
1st night going Rev Full healer build. 7 of 7 wins in Stronghold. They are so mobile and so much healing. The Tablet you summon deflects so good placement of it really makes it a bad day for a ranger.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Your Computer posted:

You win.

My Salad Revenant went Halloween-themed but I'm kind-of digging the look enough to keep it:

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Your Computer posted:

oh my god i seriously love that outfit. you did really good job.

edit: my mouse broke and i can't get a replacement for about a week. has anyone come up with a janky controller set up for action cam yet or am i gonna have to suffer with my drawing tablet?

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Special new BLTC mode, just for you. I'll ask about that tomorrow, looks like Coherent crashed or something.

ShadowMar posted:

oh my god i seriously love that outfit. you did really good job.

edit: my mouse broke and i can't get a replacement for about a week. has anyone come up with a janky controller set up for action cam yet or am i gonna have to suffer with my drawing tablet?

Would this work?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3pnbqq/how_to_use_a_controller_with_the_new_action_camera/

• Locked thread