Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

HBar posted:

Put on your neuro-helmet and reboot into cyberscape mode to battle for digital supremacy inside the mainframe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

HBar posted:

Put on your neuro-helmet and reboot into cyberscape mode to battle for digital supremacy inside the mainframe

But bring an away team with you so it's not another solo adventure.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Applewhite posted:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

install the backup disks.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

HBar posted:

And use the cheat code

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Using the Captain's controller enter up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 27, 2015

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

HBar posted:

huntergatherer
Mar 5, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Using the Captain's controller enter up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

HBar posted:

Do this. My spoiler is unrelated.

incredible work dude. I read all the updates to the bijous and then skipped ahead before catching it was being made up. Stellar. Stellar. I did think the bijous were suspiciously similar to space tits...

All in all, the style and flavor reminds me of strange synergy which is super outta print.

You should have donation tiers to get printed versions made. I'd loving buy printed copies. That'd loving rule.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

HBar posted:

This.

Also how do you guys know what choices to make when the bottom page is ripped?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Tell the bot to Whip it, into shape.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

iceaim posted:

This.

Also how do you guys know what choices to make when the bottom page is ripped?

Some of us played this game back in the old days and remember the general choices.
A few of us still have our copies.

And then the Wiki has the occasional sample page.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Applewhite posted:

BRING DEVO BOT

huntergatherer
Mar 5, 2005

Don't we need the Hi-tech Hijinks expansion to do this?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Applewhite posted:

In many ways, Two-Fisted Fantasy was ahead of its time. While some questionable game design decisions exist, it's really a shame that this is the last in the series. A 2FF set in a cyberpunk world would have been something really special, and I'm certain that its influence would be felt widely.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Whatever we choose, bring Spud along.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Anticheese posted:

In many ways, Two-Fisted Fantasy was ahead of its time. While some questionable game design decisions exist, it's really a shame that this is the last in the series. A 2FF set in a cyberpunk world would have been something really special, and I'm certain that its influence would be felt widely.

I could be wrong, but I thought there was a sort of cyberpunk-ish 2FF out there. I can't remember the name, but I'm pretty sure it had some sort of weird society that based its economy on energy and your goal had something to do with actually shutting down an alternate energy source to maintain the status quo. Of course everything can go crazy, but I thought there was something like that.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

I could be wrong, but I thought there was a sort of cyberpunk-ish 2FF out there. I can't remember the name, but I'm pretty sure it had some sort of weird society that based its economy on energy and your goal had something to do with actually shutting down an alternate energy source to maintain the status quo. Of course everything can go crazy, but I thought there was something like that.

Yeah it's tough to track the 2FF canon because it's been so inconsistently distributed. Neuromancer came out in 1984 and I find it hard to believe H. S. Skull wouldn't have jumped onboard the cyberpunk gravy train that book started.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Solice Kirsk posted:

The fifth book (Codename: CyberFists) was a cyberpunk themed book based in a futuristic arcology. It's about as horrible and forgotten as the rest of these books but some ideas were pinched from it and resurface in Shadowrun, Cyberpunk 2013 and things like that. For some reason 2FF books were inexplicably popular in Poland and the CD Project Red have put a lot of content from the book into their upcoming game Cyberpunk 2077.

It looks like we're going to mess around in the AI's VR software. This can be done in the book but there's an expansion (Infrared Alert: Crisis in Deep Space) which covers this scenario with slightly more depth if you're all sick of playing through the standard version. Do you want the book version or the expansion?

E:

Applewhite posted:

Yeah it's tough to track the 2FF canon because it's been so inconsistently distributed. Neuromancer came out in 1984 and I find it hard to believe H. S. Skull wouldn't have jumped onboard the cyberpunk gravy train that book started.

Yeah obviously it was a grotesque, half-assed cash-in but because Mr Skull is insane it accidentally had a few new ideas

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Expansion :awesomelon:

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Gilganixon posted:

Yeah obviously it was a grotesque, half-assed cash-in but because Mr Skull is insane it accidentally had a few new ideas

Would you consider void racers a half-assed cash-in? It actually exceeded my expectations.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Let's expand our horizons, maaaaaaaaaaan

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

iceaim posted:

Would you consider void racers a half-assed cash-in? It actually exceeded my expectations.

Yeah, it seems pretty competent in the sense that there's not many "bugs" and pretty fun, if a bit gross in some parts. That there's four questlines makes it even more well-made.

I'm loving the effort, Gilga, and this is one of the few projects that I'm considering supporting on patreon

iceaim
May 20, 2001

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gilganixon posted:

For some reason 2FF books were inexplicably popular in Poland

I think I have some idea why (Karol :allears:)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

And bring our robotic friend for back up :roboluv:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

HardDisk posted:

Yeah, it seems pretty competent in the sense that there's not many "bugs" and pretty fun, if a bit gross in some parts. That there's four questlines makes it even more well-made.

I'm loving the effort, Gilga, and this is one of the few projects that I'm considering supporting on patreon

I agree completely.

on both statements.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Obviously, we need the expansion.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Then shoot it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Definitely need the expansion.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh dear god. Are we dead in the water in a system with another jump capable species, or did we break down before we got to our destination?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Oh dear god. Are we dead in the water in a system with another jump capable species, or did we break down before we got to our destination?

Call Space AAA!

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Applewhite posted:

Call Space AAA!

Just wait. We'll be taken care of shortly. :unsmigghh:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

We haven't dropped out of the jump so we're still moving. There's the strong chance we'll break down on the other side of the jump but that's a problem for later.

Anticheese posted:

Just wait. We'll be taken care of shortly. :unsmigghh:

yup

Update:

Here's the last page with options attached:

We're going to use the virtual interface, but instead of doing that through the main gamebook, we're going to switch to another expansion:

This is a rare surviving copy of "Infrared Alert: Crisis in Deep Space". I bought this from eBay but to get it originally you needed to send in ten coupons clipped from a powdered milk called "Lapte de Ceausescu" which was only available in Romania until 1989. The book is in English so I have no idea how this cross-promotion was supposed to work. There's still supposed to be a warehouse full of these things somewhere in Eastern Europe but no one's found it. I guess if they had I'd feel bad about paying so much for this pack.

It's a pretty simple expansion - it contains an 80-page booklet and a few item and crew cards. Every playable species in Void Racers is doomed to have some kind of shattering crisis if they make it far enough and we've come to ours. This booklet is interesting because it doesn't increase the range of our options in dealing with this crisis (we can still only pick the options presented in the main book) but it increases the complexity of how the book responds to our actions and makes the crisis significantly more dangerous. It's really intended for people who've played through the game before and want to see something different, which I guess applies to most of the posters ITT.

Moving on:

Here's what I meant about complexity. Every race has this kind of introductory page which tells you where to start from in this expansion. We are being asked to find out what SuGaBA thinks of us, because it will seriously impact our experience when trying to fix him. By my count we've enslaved two alien species, butchered d'Argon (our first shield officer),had a blood feast, blown up a planet and partially adopted a feudal system. We score 11, which means SuGaBA hates us.

And now with that information we put on our VR headsets and turn to 99:

We need to pick who's coming on this trip. We've got to take the Captain. The robot seemed like a popular choice to bring along, so that leaves us with up to two more slots.
After we've assembled our crew, where to? Life support and the AI core seem like the choices the text are nudging at but maybe you've got a better idea.

No update to the manifest for today.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Non-game stuff here:

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

incredible work dude. I read all the updates to the bijous and then skipped ahead before catching it was being made up. Stellar. Stellar. I did think the bijous were suspiciously similar to space tits...

All in all, the style and flavor reminds me of strange synergy which is super outta print.

You should have donation tiers to get printed versions made. I'd loving buy printed copies. That'd loving rule.

Thanks. I had a look at Strange Synergy. It's a Steve Jackson game so it's probably not a coincidence that the style is similar - I spent a lot of my childhood reading his books.

The Patreon is for the e-book only. I'm hoping to get a kickstarter going early next year for a physical copy once I've completed the manuscript for this thing. I'm not sure if that'll fly but I can definitely get e-books out, which is why I'm offering that on Patreon.

HardDisk posted:

Glad you're enjoying it.

• Locked thread