Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mymla posted:

Neverreap is fun, hth.

:agreed: it's not hard unless you're at an ilvl of 145.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

For as much as Neverreap sucked as a leveling BLM it's actually a lot of fun for an i195 BLM :getin:

e: on the 2nd boss, a lot of the time I don't bother moving a totem out of the circle if it spawns on me because it's faster and easier to just burn the mob that spawns instead of stopping DPS altogether and potentially messing up my rotation

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I wonder how much variety future tanks can possibly bring to the table. I mean, how many different ways can you make gameplay mechanics for a "get hit a lot and make sure you don't die" style of character? Healers are even worse, and since you can't have a pure support but non-healing class, they'll all have to have basically the same skills.

At least AST has this kind of fun card battles on motorcycles drawing poo poo to add some random chance to the heals.

Also, I'm going to be kind of cheesed if EXDR is just the two new dungeons, because what EXDR *needed* in the first place was some more friggin' variety.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

For as much as Neverreap sucked as a leveling BLM it's actually a lot of fun for an i195 BLM :getin:

e: on the 2nd boss, a lot of the time I don't bother moving a totem out of the circle if it spawns on me because it's faster and easier to just burn the mob that spawns instead of stopping DPS altogether and potentially messing up my rotation

No it's not please don't do this.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

They should add a class with dual gunshields like that imperial dude.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can't wait till we get the Garlean weapon set, and the MCH weapon is a gungun.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Yeah I love wasting a Fell Cleave because some rear end in a top hat didn't feel like moving his statue.

Don't do this.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

seiferguy posted:

- Despite above, you still need to stance dance at some points in order to maintain your MP and TP (I find stance dancing fun, I might be in the minority here)
- At level 50, you actually have decent DPS combos, compared to PLDs only having fast blade -> riot blade
- Reprisal is what shield swipe should be - oGCD ability after a parry with a short cooldown
- Low blow is oGCD doesn't interrupt your combo like shield bash does
- Maintaining enmity is never a problem as a DRK
You never need to stance dance if you know how to manage your MP (sometimes having to use Carve&Split for it, toggling Darkside for boss downtime phases, using Sole Survivor on adds etc.) though doing so at opportune times can be good, especially if you're practicing for WAR.

Uh, Halone is the DPS combo at that level. The only time Riot Blade is the DPS combo was before you got Halone. Just like WAR's Butcher Block combo (only with smaller numbers.) Power Slash combo has decent potency in it but you don't use it because you need the mana from Siphon Slash to fuel all of the other neat stuff you're doing.

Reprisal vs Shield Swipe and Low Blow vs Shield Bash have roughly the same balance as the old 'Brutal Swing vs. Shield Bash' comparison, PLD has better on-demand access to them (and the longest stun) but they're on the GCD to compensate, while Reprisal has a better debuff in exchange for it's medium (30s) CD and Low Blow is oGCD with a chance for it's CD to be reset.

The last point isn't true but DRK has tools to make that problem go away and often stay away (Power Slash, DA'd for good measure.)

I have a few ideas of what they might do on a numbers pass to make the tanks better (tweaking the attack power formula, potency increases, enmity modifier increase, 'adjusting' war stuff) and there's no real point in speculating anything else until they say they're going to do something else.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

cheetah7071 posted:

I can't wait till we get the Garlean weapon set, and the MCH weapon is a gungun.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Assizing adds on bosses in neverreap is super satisfying. Also all the bosses in fractal are basically target dummies and super boring

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Velthice posted:

Assizing adds on bosses in neverreap is super satisfying. Also all the bosses in fractal are basically target dummies and super boring

The first boss lets me pad my sick tank dps with Vengeance.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I wonder how much variety future tanks can possibly bring to the table. I mean, how many different ways can you make gameplay mechanics for a "get hit a lot and make sure you don't die" style of character? Healers are even worse, and since you can't have a pure support but non-healing class, they'll all have to have basically the same skills.

For healers at least, they could try for a melee TP based healer. All three healing classes are spell casters, and while they all have their own unique mechanics there's still more stuff you could do outside of the "cast heal spell" paradigm.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Melee healer just seems like it wouldn't work to me because there are so many reasons to be spread out.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
I could see a healer that needs to be in melee range to DPS, but they have to be able to heal from ranged just because of how many fights have things that punish you for being next to people.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

There's been times in 24 mans where somebody is low on health/dead and is out of range of Cure and I have no loving clue where they are so I start panning the camera and running around the arena trying to get them in range*. I'd probably have an aneurysm healing with melee range. :smith:

* Said targets are usually off in some distant corner and died to a mechanic or off loving around with another alliance in something like Atomos.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The last thing this game needs is new classes when it can't even balance the current ones.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Belzac posted:

The last thing this game needs is new classes when it can't even balance the current ones.

Class balance is actually really good in this game and the PLD balance issues are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

EponymousMrYar posted:

You never need to stance dance if you know how to manage your MP (sometimes having to use Carve&Split for it, toggling Darkside for boss downtime phases, using Sole Survivor on adds etc.) though doing so at opportune times can be good, especially if you're practicing for WAR.

Uh, Halone is the DPS combo at that level. The only time Riot Blade is the DPS combo was before you got Halone. Just like WAR's Butcher Block combo (only with smaller numbers.) Power Slash combo has decent potency in it but you don't use it because you need the mana from Siphon Slash to fuel all of the other neat stuff you're doing.

Reprisal vs Shield Swipe and Low Blow vs Shield Bash have roughly the same balance as the old 'Brutal Swing vs. Shield Bash' comparison, PLD has better on-demand access to them (and the longest stun) but they're on the GCD to compensate, while Reprisal has a better debuff in exchange for it's medium (30s) CD and Low Blow is oGCD with a chance for it's CD to be reset.

The last point isn't true but DRK has tools to make that problem go away and often stay away (Power Slash, DA'd for good measure.)

I have a few ideas of what they might do on a numbers pass to make the tanks better (tweaking the attack power formula, potency increases, enmity modifier increase, 'adjusting' war stuff) and there's no real point in speculating anything else until they say they're going to do something else.

- There are instances you want to turn off Grit, so you can use blood weapon / do more DPS. That in itself is fun to do, as long as your healer doesn't suck.

- Halone being the DPS combo is dumb because it's also the enmity generating combo as well. Even at 60, PLDs only have 1 DPS finisher with Goring Blade, and there's no real point to using that. Royal Authority comboing off the enmity combo is silly.

- Yeah, I know that's fair, and often why PLDs are valued in certain raids for on-demand stun (at a price). I still prefer the DRK way though.

- Right now, DRK has higher enmity multipliers than PLDs at the moment. This will probably get adjusted, but right now, you have unleash and abyssal drain to do AoE that do pretty good damage (and Abyssal Drain on Dark Arts gets you a nice chunk of health). Unleash makes a mockery of flash right now. When I run EXDR as a PLD, I have to use Rage of Halone more often than I want to maintain enmity, especially if I've got an ilvl 200 BLM dropping crits like crazy. So far this hasn't been an issue with DRK, especially with the DA'd Power Slash, like you mentioned.

My main concern right now is that rather than buff PLD, they'll nerf WAR and DRK to make it more equal to PLD. That would probably be the worst thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

seiferguy posted:

- Halone being the DPS combo is dumb because it's also the enmity generating combo as well.

You know this is the case for warriors, right? Sometimes I end up ripping threat off my co-tank during the Hand of Pain burn in A3S.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

seiferguy posted:

My main concern right now is that rather than buff PLD, they'll nerf WAR and DRK to make it more equal to PLD. That would probably be the worst thing.

This is pretty much exactly what's going to happen, because it's easier to nerf the other classes than to actually fix the PLD.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I feel like if they felt the need to do that, they would've done it a long time ago.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They're not nerfing dark or warrior. Neither of them have glaring balance issues when compared to one another. They'll buff paladin to bring it closer in line. How they'll do it is up in the air. I don't think we're going to see the kind of changes like warrior received in 2.1. They may get something significant, though, like the dragoon buffs. I have faith that they'll do something good with it because they have yet to live up to expectations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

seiferguy posted:

AFAIK, this has never been the case before (PLD didn't get nerfed when WAR was fixed in 2.1~ish, WHM and SCH didn't get nerfed when AST was fixed in 3.0x, etc) so there's incredibly little chance that will happen.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Paladin stun is ironically often considered a bad option because it's TP cost is severe and in 3-4 the fight is already long enough to TP starve you without it. Being on GCD is another negative since we are big dummies who keep the GCD rolling and often have to wait for the stun, which can be fatal. The 1-4 farming groups I know who use one purposefully keep paladin off stuns and have dark/warrior use their off-gcds which are enough and free.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

AFAIK, this has never been the case before (PLD didn't get nerfed when WAR was fixed in 2.1~ish, WHM and SCH didn't get nerfed when AST was fixed in 3.0x, etc) so there's incredibly little chance that will happen.

MNK wasn't nerfed when DRG was buffed either.

The only case where a class was nerfed during the post release patch schedule was 2.0 BRD and really that was the correct option because they'd literally have to change how all dps classes worked to match the sort of damage, utility and mobility they had.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

You know this is the case for warriors, right? Sometimes I end up ripping threat off my co-tank during the Hand of Pain burn in A3S.
It's also the case for DRK before DA and Delirium. Even then the Delirium Combo only beats out Power Slash by 10 potency and you're mainly using that combo to fuel all of the ogcd's and DA'd stuff.

SE's been good about buffing/nerfing stuff with the only nerfs coming from 2.0-2.1 (or whatever) BRD, the Titan-Egi Ramuh EX change (which is more of a bugfix than a nerf) and the Heavensward transition with the latter being stuff like the Lustrate/Holy change. The only thing I think they might nerf would be WAR's Triple Fell Cleave rotation and even that might just be as simple as a lack of sufficient skill speed to pull it off on tank gear going forward.

They won't fix Paladin for people who think that the class needs a major redesign (it really doesn't) but they'll fix the numbers so the gap between them is smaller.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 27, 2015

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

seiferguy posted:

- There are instances you want to turn off Grit, so you can use blood weapon / do more DPS. That in itself is fun to do, as long as your healer doesn't suck.

- Halone being the DPS combo is dumb because it's also the enmity generating combo as well. Even at 60, PLDs only have 1 DPS finisher with Goring Blade, and there's no real point to using that. Royal Authority comboing off the enmity combo is silly.

- Yeah, I know that's fair, and often why PLDs are valued in certain raids for on-demand stun (at a price). I still prefer the DRK way though.

- Right now, DRK has higher enmity multipliers than PLDs at the moment. This will probably get adjusted, but right now, you have unleash and abyssal drain to do AoE that do pretty good damage (and Abyssal Drain on Dark Arts gets you a nice chunk of health). Unleash makes a mockery of flash right now. When I run EXDR as a PLD, I have to use Rage of Halone more often than I want to maintain enmity, especially if I've got an ilvl 200 BLM dropping crits like crazy. So far this hasn't been an issue with DRK, especially with the DA'd Power Slash, like you mentioned.

Grit yes, Darkside no.
And DRK, as far as I know, only has higher multipliers on their actual enmity combo. All the tanks have a 2.3x threat mod in their tanking stance and last I heard Flash has about 600 enmity potency which is the same as both Unleash and Abyssal Drain. DRK's threat advantage is basically from Darkside, especially on AoE where FoF doesn't even impact Flash's threat.

Also DA power slash is overkill in every piece of content I've seen unless you are quite outgeared and also not using grit. You're basically pissing away MP for nothing.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

MNK wasn't nerfed when DRG was buffed either.

The only case where a class was nerfed during the post release patch schedule was 2.0 BRD and really that was the correct option because they'd literally have to change how all dps classes worked to match the sort of damage, utility and mobility they had.

They nerfed ninjas too. Nins were pretty crazy though.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Belzac posted:

i dunno, pld is balanced perfectly fine into the dumpster where it belongs

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Failboattootoot posted:

They nerfed ninjas too. Nins were pretty crazy though.

Ninja nerf was more of a 'we didn't realize it was doing this' nerf though, I mean poisons were only ever supposed to work on weapon stuff not ninjutsu.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Salient point being that they fix bugs that result in nerfs more than nerfing things. Might happen with DRK if the whole 'being able to hold aggro without using your enmity combo at all' is a bug rather than a feature.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Belzac posted:

These posts are my favorite part of the ffxiv thread.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Salient point being that they fix bugs that result in nerfs more than nerfing things. Might happen with DRK if the whole 'being able to hold aggro without using your enmity combo at all' is a bug rather than a feature.

Considering that most of what they've said recently about tank threat is about needing to boost it so that undergeared tanks don't have a lovely time when they first hit 60, I would not expect them to nerf DRK enmity unless they did some really weird juggling, like reducing grit's threat mod while making power slash's mod even more ridiculous.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
there's like a zero percent chance there won't be new classes every expansion so suck it up

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Blockhouse posted:

there's like a zero percent chance there won't be new classes every expansion so suck it up

What can they possibly add after SMR/RDM/DNC that wouldn't infringe upon other classes? The FF archetypes are pretty well covered.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

They said adding 3 classes was exhausting and they plan to do one per expansion in the future. So those three are a few years' worth.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Brannock posted:

What can they possibly add after SMR/RDM/DNC that wouldn't infringe upon other classes? The FF archetypes are pretty well covered.

After a while you're going to infringe on other classes, the key is to do it interestingly. Also I hope we never see Red Mage. I'd rather see Blue Mage first, I'd rather see Chemist first, hell, I'd rather see Puppeteer first, and that class was just MNK+Pet.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Me in Ramuh EX:

quote:

(Spiced Rum) may I ask why the other bard isn't using WM in unsynced
(Kaleb Stark) too much movement and im used to without wm

:suicide:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I had an A4 with 4 bards DPSing and 2 were using WM 2 weren't and I feel like that's a big enough sample size to prove that at least half the bards in this game are terrible before they even start DPSing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Wanderer's Minuet and Gauss Barrel were really poorly thought out abilities and I'm entirely unsurprised a large portion of the playerbase actively dislikes it.

• Locked thread