Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Loose Ifer posted:

Since my computer is poo poo i'm getting this on ps4. Is there a pre-download or anything or does it just unlock at midnight?

There is a likely week long preload time before the 10th across all versions of the game and it all unlocks on 12 am PST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
There should be a pizza place that delivers your preordered copy to you at home if you order a large with 3 toppings.

Saying that because that's my plan Nov. 11. at 12:15 a.m.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
New Vegas was the first ever game where I woke up at 3AM to play it once it unlocked on Steam. Exploring the new world for the first time always kinda stuck with me, it's a really cool feeling. I'm kinda torn about Bethesda keeping a relatively tight lid on gameplay specifics, because on the one hand I'll get to go in fresh, but on the other I'm desperately craving a new Fallout fix however I can get it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

You can buy video games at stores now?

Yeah, check your local Walgreens flyer, last week they had a buy 2 get 1 free sale on Witcher 3.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
While I am looking forward to this game I don't plan on significantly adjusting my schedule so I can show up to work dead tired or wasting vacation time that can be used to actually do things I need to take time away from work for.

That said, if you bought this for the Xbone then you can already pre-load the game apparently. In case you wanted 30GB of dead weight hanging around for 2 weeks I guess. One of the preorder perks?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Psychotic Weasel posted:

While I am looking forward to this game I don't plan on significantly adjusting my schedule so I can show up to work dead tired or wasting vacation time that can be used to actually do things I need to take time away from work for.

That said, if you bought this for the Xbone then you can already pre-load the game apparently. In case you wanted 30GB of dead weight hanging around for 2 weeks I guess. One of the preorder perks?

It makes sense to let people preload art and voice assets once the game has gone gold, those things aren't going to change before release, account for 95% of the data downloaded, don't give away any trade secrets, and aren't helpful to crackers at all. If they let everyone preload 2 weeks early then antisocial manchildren like us could grab it now, and an official Bethesda email 1 week before release would get the more alert plebs to preload then, so maybe by release day 1/2 of the preorders would have already loaded and Steam's servers wouldn't crap out (as bad).

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Please someone preload it and search for HATE_NEWSPAPER.mp3

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Oh good, another normal person. I do have a non rollover vacation day laying about, but I have uses for that already.

EDIT: And I know if I did take the day off something massively disappointing would happen, like the game would have a devastating CTD for anyone using i5 processors.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

TorakFade posted:

Please someone preload it and search for HATE_NEWSPAPER.mp3

I honestly don't think that joke will ever get stale.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

LOVE MEMES

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Veterans Day is the 11th and I found out I can just take any day that week off for free instead of using my vacation time. If I didn't have a sick pet to give scheduled medications to, I would stay up all motherfucking night.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Took that whole week off because I plan to no life it. I am both proud and ashamed.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Took two days off because I do things on weekends with people like a human and don't get much time for gaming.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Meridian posted:

Took that whole week off because I plan to no life it. I am both proud and ashamed.

Whereas I've been gifted with new responsibilities and trainings that start the weekend before and carry on into the foreseeable future!

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
The 11th is a bank holiday (whatup Canada), the 13th is already an RDO day for me, so I just took off the 12th and get a whole long weekend to play this stupid game while only spending one vacation day :smug:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Inzombiac posted:

Veterans Day is the 11th and I found out I can just take any day that week off for free instead of using my vacation time. If I didn't have a sick pet to give scheduled medications to, I would stay up all motherfucking night.

Yeah, I don't know if the release that close to Remembrance Day was intentional or it just happened to work out that way (sadly, it's not a holiday across Canada). If they wanted to stick with their dumb 1-1-1 release date they could've done so at any time between the 10th and 19th day of October thru December.

As for the pre-loading, I doubt they'll need to worry about leaks unless MS royally hosed something up. This is done all the time without issue and I doubt this will be any exception. Since the game has already gone Gold and has begun printing nothing will change between now and the 10th, if there are any major issues that need addressing they will be in the now industry wide standard of Day One Patches.

I suspect that much of the team has now moved on to post-release content such as DLC and whatnot, and whatever's in the game is in the game.

edit: to expand on the pre-loading, it just seems really weird to have it done this early. Now a bunch of people are going to have the game sitting around and will begin to wonder "why can't I play this now? what's the problem?" and will just get increasingly antsy. Whereas if they just waited like everyone else there would be no questions.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 27, 2015

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
I'm on vacation starting two days before Halloween and don't have to be back till Nov 16th! I'm going to spend the last few days of my vacation playing Fallout 4 nonstop. And yes, I will be wearing my pipboy to work that Monday. It's a better piece of "wearable tech" than the Apple watch :ssh:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'm likely going to wait til the 10th for getting it from Humble bundle.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You can't actually preload yet on Xbox. It'll claim it's there at 28gb but if you delete and reinstall it finishes in ten seconds so it's just a placeholder. They said the real preload starts a few days before release.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
WTF? What is even the point of that?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Psychotic Weasel posted:

WTF? What is even the point of that?

Reserving space I guess.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Is this game worth getting? I was hesitant about getting Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain (having not played any of the other Metal Gear Solid Games) but I got addicted and really enjoy it.

The same applies for the Fallout games, never played any of them, so is it worth getting Fallout 4 starting blind?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Panfilo posted:

Is this game worth getting? I was hesitant about getting Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain (having not played any of the other Metal Gear Solid Games) but I got addicted and really enjoy it.

The same applies for the Fallout games, never played any of them, so is it worth getting Fallout 4 starting blind?

If you're completely new to the series I would watch the gameplay footage released so far and even wait for more to see if you like.

But I would recommend it anyway since it looks like to be a good game

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Panfilo posted:

The game isn't out yet and as you can see from the thread the outlook is mixed on whether it will be good or not. If you do plan on getting Fallout 4 I think it should be mandatory that you at least try Fallout 3 or New Vegas if only to appreciate how janky and dated they are.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Odobenidae posted:

The game isn't out yet and as you can see from the thread the outlook is mixed on whether it will be good or not. If you do plan on getting Fallout 4 I think it should be mandatory that you at least try Fallout 3 or New Vegas if only to appreciate how janky and dated they are.

Someone mentioned doing the Tale of Two Wastelands thing if you want to go back and play Fallout 3. I definitely agree with that. Either way, everyone should play New Vegas.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Am I alone in thinking that the wind-up laser rifle thing will be incredibly annoying and tedious?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Fallout 4 soundtrack stuff

Looks like this one will be in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgcy-V6YIuI

quote:

“It's multiples of whatever we did in Fallout 3. I've never totalled it up actually [laughs.] But more than we should have done probably,” he said. “There's the classic Fallout 3 rock station. We put a classical station in this time that kind of ties into the story. Radio Plays which are somewhere in between. There are different factions that have their own little thing. So more than three radio stations, but less than ten, depending on where you are in the world.”

frajaq fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 27, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Am I alone in thinking that the wind-up laser rifle thing will be incredibly annoying and tedious?

Then don't use/build/customize one?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Seems like it just automatically plays the animation when you fire it. So basically a bolt-action rifle with a gimmicky animation.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Doesn't look anymore annoying than any other single shot weapon with a slower reload time.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I'm sure there'll soon be a mod that changes the crank sound to "pop goes the weasel!".

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm sure there'll soon be a mod that changes the crank sound to "pop goes the weasel!".

I want this mod to come to Fallout 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-XMtNEudQ

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Panfilo posted:

The games are currently on sale on Steam, if you play on the PC. I'd recommend trying out FO3, since that's a Bethesda game to its core. New Vegas is legitimately a great game, and worth a look. Both can have a lot of problems modded away. Have you played Skyrim? This is probably going to be pretty close to "Skyrim with guns".

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

holy poo poo I need this

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

There's going to be a mod where someone replaces the sun with that screaming sun from Rick and Morty, I just know it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
IIRC there was a goon made mod that replaced one of the moons in Oblivion with the :q: smilie. No idea if it's still around but it was freaky as hell.

On a related note, the moon in Fallout 3 (and presumably NV) went through all it's phases. Didn't seem to affect how bright it was at night though.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

It can't just be the same mod. It'd be better to either mod in the sound gun from Old World Blues to weaponize the Tim Allen Grunt or specifically to replace John Fallout's voice options with this. So no matter how stupid the writing, you'll still be enjoying the Auuuahhs being interpreted by everyone else.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
http://www.exophase.com/game/fallout-4-ps4/trophies/

BEHOLD, SPOILERS.

lmao, Nuclear Family is totally you meeting your son after he somehow got out of the vault decades before you and now he's an old guy on his deathbed. I wonder if Bethesda wrote that before or after Interstellar did it.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
fuckin' lol this game's gonna be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

lol

• Locked thread