Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

fool_of_sound posted:

The democrats agreed to to engage them at a town hall meeting, to mixed reception from BLM activists, which highlights the obstacles inherent to anger based grassroot movements.

You sound like a turd eqeta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
The step on jesus thing did happen, at a Christian college where the professor was trying to teach them not everything is sacred, it's literally just a piece of paper with Jesus written on it and stepping it won't drat you too hell.

They live in a hell if constant insane punishment for minor transgressions though, and a belief that 99% of the world is owned by Satan so it drove some of them very batty.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm going to give BLM some credit here and assume the public stance is meant to push minority and related economic issues onto the agenda in the other debates, and perhaps to push for an additional debate on those topics. More debates and debates on those topics are that things that a Sanders supporter would like to see, remember?

I swear the conversation is so poisoned right now that even the left is programmed to think in bullshit like "a debate about black people is automatically a debate that does not reflect my interests if I am not black." Even when that is literally the opposite of the opinion one consciously holds :psyduck:

A debate on black issues would be great, they had a "black-brown debate " in 2008 that was about black and Hispanic issues. But that isn't what they're demanding.

Personally I don't care how many debates they have , Hillary is going to be the nominee, so why waste time and money on something where the stances and policy papers on the issues are already known for some political theatre and meaningless sound bites?

At a town hall you might actually get decent answers and interaction with candidates.

greatn fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 27, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

blue squares posted:

I actually find the Jeb hoodie thing literally the most endearing, likeable thing I have ever seen from him. He just seems like he is goofing around.

Would describe his campaign, honestly.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gravel Gravy posted:

Would describe his campaign, honestly.

Rand Paul is goofing off. Jeb! is putting the least amount of effort possible into the campaign, hoping that he'll get an "A" anyway, and is panicking that he isn't. (Granted, Carson and Rubio are apparently putting even less effort into their campaigns, but they're not expecting an "A").

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Please stop spelling it Jeb. It's Jeb!

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

LeeMajors posted:

Yep. And 'contraceptives are not a crutch for your reckless lifestyle!!!'

This is a a page back, but you are lucky. My sex-ed in the glorious state of Kansas literally told me not to use condoms because they don't work. Seriously. They were like "Don't trust condoms! They have a failure rate over 50% for teenagers because teenagers don't know how to use them!" Then they refused to teach us how to use them. Looking back it was loving amazing.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

alpha_destroy posted:

This is a a page back, but you are lucky. My sex-ed in the glorious state of Kansas literally told me not to use condoms because they don't work. Seriously. They were like "Don't trust condoms! They have a failure rate over 50% for teenagers because teenagers don't know how to use them!" Then they refused to teach us how to use them. Looking back it was loving amazing.

How about the "condoms don't actually prevent STDs" line? It was made very clear to me that even if used properly, the microbes are so small they slip right between latex molecules.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

greatn posted:

A debate on black issues would be great, they had a "black-brown debate " in 2008 that was about black and Hispanic issues. But that isn't what they're demanding.

Personally I don't care how many debates they have , Hillary is going to be the nominee, so why waste time and money on something where the stances and policy papers on the issues are already known for some political theatre and meaningless sound bites?

At a town hall you might actually get decent answers and interaction with candidates.

Um, if you actually want things to change instead of just rushing towards the coronation of Hillary as Queen of Being Not Republican, you have to have actual groups pressuring Hillary and Bernie to talk about the issues in front of a national audience.

You are complaining about the solution to your own problem. BLM, Sanders, and even Hillary want a national conversation to some degree, and you honestly sound like you resent having to bother with an election at all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

How about the "condoms don't actually prevent STDs" line? It was made very clear to me that even if used properly, the microbes are so small they slip right between latex molecules.

That was what I got, condoms are good but hey just saying HIV and other bad STDs (I think syphilis was one? Went old school there) are actually small enough to slip through so, ya know, probably best to just not do anything at all.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I know there are flaws here related to the way permeability works, but we all agree that water molecules are a lot smaller than even a tiny virus, right?

So grab a condom, put a few drops of food coloring inside, you could add some dish soap if you want to reduce the surface tension of the water. Head to the bathroom, wrap it around the shower head and turn on the water. Try not to spill any water.

Once it's stretched to about the size of a whale penis, have a partner check to see if any colored water is leaking through the holes in the latex.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

RevKrule posted:

Speaking of Black Lives Matter:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-appears-show-cop-body-slamming-student-s-c-classroom-n451896

The video is in the link. Expect to hear "we didn't hear all the poo poo she said to the officer before she was torn violently from her desk like a rag doll."

To be fair, "Talk poo poo, Get Hit" is a policy that reaches across both isles and all age groups.

But seriously, police. Cut that poo poo out.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

http://www.keepaclearmind.com/sex_can_wait.php

I got this bullshit when I was in the 6th or 7th grade in Ohio. That was all I ever got taught in a classroom setting. I don't remember anything about it other than we got in trouble for making fun of the video afterwards. They had health classes but the teacher (intentionally?) put the sex ed stuff at the end so it was more likely to be cancelled by a snow day. There had to have been at least 6 babies in my graduating class.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Freakazoid_ posted:

To be fair, "Talk poo poo, Get Hit" is a policy that reaches across both isles and all age groups.

But seriously, police. Cut that poo poo out.

No, it really really doesn't. My best example of this poo poo is when I was a drunk piece of poo poo college kid walking down the street with other drunk piece of poo poo college kids, a cop sees us, says 'hey you guys should get home' and my response, like a drunk piece of poo poo, was to take a step at him and go 'the gently caress did you say' like I was gonna throw down with a guy with a gun who literally was being nice to us and not doing his job and getting on us for being under 21 and drunk in public. The result of that, shockingly, wasn't me losing some teeth, but rather him rolling his eyes and saying 'get the gently caress away' and walking away.

It really seems like this kinda poo poo just happens to one specific group of isles!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Hodgepodge posted:

Um, if you actually want things to change instead of just rushing towards the coronation of Hillary as Queen of Being Not Republican, you have to have actual groups pressuring Hillary and Bernie to talk about the issues in front of a national audience.

You are complaining about the solution to your own problem. BLM, Sanders, and even Hillary want a national conversation to some degree, and you honestly sound like you resent having to bother with an election at all.

TV debates are meaningless political theatre for candidates to get out pre-written zinger lines and having one about a specific issue like BLM will not accomplish anything but some huffington post and buzzfeed articles, and maybe a hashtag or two.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Seems legit:

Carol Young is the co-owner/co-founder and President of the Center for Evidence-Based Programming. She is a long-time successful businesswoman who has owned her own real estate company, and has served as both a member of the Arkansas State Board of Realtors, and President of the Woman's Chamber of Commerce (Hot Springs, AR). She has also served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Miss Arkansas Pageant, Director of the Miss Hot Springs Pageant, and chaperone/traveling companion for Miss Arkansas.

Pox
Feb 16, 2015

Mr Interweb posted:

Even if these cuts aren't as horrible as people may think, it still sends a horrible precedent that a president has in fact offered concessions for a debt ceiling hike.

Eh, not really. Back when things weren't as insane, the ceiling frequently got moved as part of larger budget agreements.

Attempting to obfuscate the difference between this and hostage taking has been the Republicans main strategy during the last couple debt ceiling rounds. But I think the Dems would take this deal wheather the debt ceiling was involved or not, which makes it completely different than the pure concession extraction that the Rs have been looking for in the last few rounds,. In fact, I'm pretty surprised the Rs think this can pass the house.

Hope they have the votes ready to go for a standalone increase if it fails.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Jeb should just embrace the stoner thing tbh

also he should hire me as a campaign consultant

e: also I'm pretty sure that at this point Kristol could say that the sun was going to rise tomorrow, and the political media sphere would descend into a frenzied panic about the impending disappearance of the sun.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

TV debates are meaningless political theatre for candidates to get out pre-written zinger lines and having one about a specific issue like BLM will not accomplish anything but some huffington post and buzzfeed articles, and maybe a hashtag or two.
Saying "political theater is meaningless why even have debates" is like going "pffft advertising doesn't really work why spend billions on it?"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Seems legit:

Carol Young is the co-owner/co-founder and President of the Center for Evidence-Based Programming. She is a long-time successful businesswoman who has owned her own real estate company, and has served as both a member of the Arkansas State Board of Realtors, and President of the Woman's Chamber of Commerce (Hot Springs, AR). She has also served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Miss Arkansas Pageant, Director of the Miss Hot Springs Pageant, and chaperone/traveling companion for Miss Arkansas.

You know what, let's just put a wrap on this whole humanity thing. We're really not doing anybody any good with it and it's high time someone simply did the rest of the galaxy a favor.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Bob Ojeda posted:

e: also I'm pretty sure that at this point Kristol could say that the sun was going to rise tomorrow, and the political media sphere would descend into a frenzied panic about the impending disappearance of the sun.

It'd be enough to make me check NASA's twitter.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

Wait he literally claimed that Gods not Dead scenario happened.

It is happening everyday on college campuses!

We must investigate and crack down!

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That was what I got, condoms are good but hey just saying HIV and other bad STDs (I think syphilis was one? Went old school there) are actually small enough to slip through so, ya know, probably best to just not do anything at all.

I didn't get this, but some people I know who are younger than I am, and who got their sex ed during the Bush years did. Holy poo poo, I wonder how much damage that did.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Iowa Snow King posted:

I didn't get this, but some people I know who are younger than I am, and who got their sex ed during the Bush years did. Holy poo poo, I wonder how much damage that did.

I got the "condom is a volleyball net and HIV is a marble" analogy in eighth grade in 1995.

Six girls out of a class of 75 had a child by the time we graduated. One was 13 when she got pregnant, I still remember her gym uniform not fitting so well.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Iowa Snow King posted:

Yeah, I feel pretty damned lucky when it comes to Sex Ed. I got incredibly competent sex ed stuff in Health class when I was in middleschool in Texas somehow. It was '98-'99 and I was in Austin, but considering it was Texas I feel pretty damned blessed.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Iowa Snow King posted:

Story time! We were Taught an analogy that the second we loved someone physically outside of marriage we would be empty on the inside. This was demonstrated with a convoluted story about a cup of water combining with another cup lined with something that absorbed or evaporated all the water. It was supposed to wow us into abstinence but I'll it did was make us 8th graders want to know more about how the trick was done. Not even a year later we had knocked up freshman. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Oh and don't forget about the std slideshows... That was about the only biological talks we received, nothing about the physical side other then the aftermath. I swear abstinence inly education is a joke.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Really good that from 2001-2008 schools would only get federal money for sex ed if they used abstinence only. Which is apparently a collection of weird thought experiments instead of physiological information.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Iowa Snow King posted:

For high school sex ed in Ohio, we had an 80 year old (thereabouts) guest speaker come in for one class, wrote the word "Abstinence" on the chalk board, then used a laser pointer to trace a circle around it while repeating "Freedom!" :byodame: over and over again.

We laughed about it after class, but I can't make this poo poo up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Here in Florida, Sex Ed was done in gym class. If you were in gifted, you didn't have gym. So I never had sex ed and that's why I'm the goon I am today.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I thought the deal with that was that sheepskin condoms may not protect against HIV, but latex other synthetics would protect against HIV.

Yeah, here it is:

http://www.fda.gov/ForPatients/Illness/HIVAIDS/ucm126372.htm

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Hell, I'd still like to learn what sex is like!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Step one: stop posting

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I actually wish the Dems would refuse any debt ceiling extensions of less than 12 months. Yeah, I know it's a bad idea because it gives a lot of nutjobs a big incentive to pull that trigger/press the big shiny red button, but drat do I wish for that fight to be forced on the GOP and to watch them blink at the 11th hour. The wailing and gnashing of teeth would be glorious.

Armyman25 posted:

I thought the deal with that was that sheepskin condoms may not protect against HIV, but latex other synthetics would protect against HIV.

Yeah, here it is:

http://www.fda.gov/ForPatients/Illness/HIVAIDS/ucm126372.htm

Turns out that's wrong (lol sorry gays (not actually sorry) - your government) http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...e_a_better.html

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Everyone should check out the Bernie Sanders interview on Maddow tonight, where he tries to bullshit about how when he opposed gay marriage it was somehow different than when Pres. Clinton did it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Speaking of Bernie Bern this is a older article but it is very interesting in that it shows " Yes, Bernie Sanders is in fact a politicians despite all claims otherwise'

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/250862-cbo-full-sequestration-relief-could-add-as-many-as-14m-jobs

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So, does this new budget deal have the blessing of the HFC? Or are they still going to hold the debt ceiling hostage until everything goes sideways?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheRamblingSoul posted:

So, does this new budget deal have the blessing of the HFC? Or are they still going to hold the debt ceiling hostage until everything goes screwy?

The deal is being hammered out between Dems and moderate Republicans, so it doesn't really matter whether the HFC blesses the deal or not.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Hopefully Ted Cruz cries into a Fox mic about it too.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

DemeaninDemon posted:

Hopefully Ted Cruz cries into a Fox mic about it too.

Is that really a good side effect of this deal? I'm terrified of Cruz ending up as the compromise candidate of the GOP that panders to the right fringes while whispering the correct sweet nothings in donors' ears. Plus he's a charismatic guy who at least has some experience in the federal government. I don't have enough faith in the electorate seeing him for the extremist psychopath he is, much like Reagan. At least Ronnie had the decency to be most of what he appeared to be and just be a puppet for the truest monsters. Cruz is a monster wearing a puppet's skin. Actually...

Monster wearing a puppet's skin! That's what he looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Cruz cannot win a general election.

• Locked thread