Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Ranter posted:

In perfect weather it has existed for years. Even until last year, Google's solution had issues with rain.
To be fair, human drivers are pretty terrible in rain too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Subjunctive posted:

And required very detailed map information, I believe.

I'm changing my vote: Apple's project is doomed.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Godholio posted:

I'm changing my vote: Apple's project is doomed.

Perhaps Apple will do the Apple thing and build a car without any automation, then when everyone else has worked out the bugs they leapfrog them to the next level.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

And required very detailed map information, I believe.

Yeah, my understanding is that the cars are pre-loaded with detailed 3D scans of every roadway they're going to drive on. I can't imagine that being a practical solution for a final consumer product - even if Google managed to scan all the millions of miles of roads in the US, a few cars would inevitably run into newly built or modified roads before they could update their fancy 3D maps.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cockmaster posted:

Yeah, my understanding is that the cars are pre-loaded with detailed 3D scans of every roadway they're going to drive on. I can't imagine that being a practical solution for a final consumer product - even if Google managed to scan all the millions of miles of roads in the US, a few cars would inevitably run into newly built or modified roads before they could update their fancy 3D maps.

Also even then they're wary of going anywhere with hills or major elevation changes.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Visual signage and lane markings are the best we can do for humans. Signage and lane markings made to be machine readable from the start seems like a good first step. Then you need all cars on the road to be automated, communicate with each other their course, speed, and intended maneuvers, and be equipped with proximity sensors. Now you have a good, efficient, fast, safe transportation system... until someone goes into traffic without a radio beacon and all other traffic grinds to a halt for safety reasons.

I don't think a system that mixes human-operated and machine-operated vehicles will ever be any good.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pun pundit posted:

Visual signage and lane markings are the best we can do for humans. Signage and lane markings made to be machine readable from the start seems like a good first step. Then you need all cars on the road to be automated, communicate with each other their course, speed, and intended maneuvers, and be equipped with proximity sensors. Now you have a good, efficient, fast, safe transportation system... until someone goes into traffic without a radio beacon and all other traffic grinds to a halt for safety reasons.

I don't think a system that mixes human-operated and machine-operated vehicles will ever be any good.

Machines can already read the same signage and lane markings humans do, and not just standard stuff, but things like house numbers. Existing self-driving or assisted-driving cars don't rely on other cars being beaconed or communicating either, they use RADAR and SONAR. The system exists today and the terrible parts are basically the human drivers. Google's Waze acquisition has been really valuable for getting updated GPS-surveyed map data, with proper signage read in and everything. There's an interchange near me (826/836 for any Miami readers) that changes shape every few months of construction, and Waze has the changes within hours.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

If they could do that in real time and under adverse conditions, self-driving cars wouldn't have the terrible results they do in any conditions but flat terrain and pristine weather.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

"Hours" is nowhere near good enough. "Hours" kills hundreds of people per year, easily.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Godholio posted:

"Hours" is nowhere near good enough. "Hours" kills hundreds of people per year, easily.

Human drivers kill way more than that per year

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Godholio posted:

It's not like self-driving cars are just going to jump off bridges and poo poo if the road isn't identical to what they have mapped. Dumb delays are more likely than killing hundreds of people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Humans have problems when roads change, too.

For example, when a traffic signal is added to location that previously didn’t have one, locals run red lights for weeks.

“Hours” may still be unacceptable, but if self‐driving cars become widespread, I guarantee it will no longer take hours. By the time the cones are out of the roadway, the update will have already been pushed to every car in the area.

roomforthetuna posted:

It's not like self-driving cars are just going to jump off bridges and poo poo if the road isn't identical to what they have mapped.

Humans just might, though.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 27, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There is a massive legal and moral difference between a human acting stupidly and a machine claiming to do a human's job being temporarily incapable. The car company solves this by saying you should hold your hands on the steering wheel at all times and be ready to take over on a second's notice and be used for highways only. I, like so many others, will give zero shits about that after a week's use and will be happily texting, eating, jerking off or whatever. What used to simple accidents are now suddenly complicated accidents.

Since I have to pay attention anyway, even hold the steering wheel, this entire system can be replaced with ancient car technology; an adjustable steering wheel which makes it easy to knee-steer or a center armrest which means I can steer with my thumb while my arm is completely relaxed. Add some nice tunes or podcasts, I'm good for 12 hours on the road. If I can't legally, technically or safely curl up in the backseat for a snooze or scoot over to the passenger seat to piss in a bottle, it's not an autopilot.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
After reading a bit about the new laws about electric cars having to make noise in order to be safer for pedestrians, I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODmsJqebmDo

I like it so far.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cockmaster posted:

Actually they will use onboard LTE connections to download up-to-date HD maps, and upload data constantly to crowdsource those same maps. At least that's what Tesla and HERE are both planning on doing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Can these systems use their machine vision to tell what road they're on and use that for navigation? Or cross reference what they see with what they're supposed to see, and if it doesn't match, to find a match?
I ask because right now Waze can't tell the difference between driving on a raised highway and driving on a surface street that runs underneath it, and GPS isn't lane-accurate enough to differentiate between parallel adjacent roads going the same direction.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Linedance posted:

Can these systems use their machine vision to tell what road they're on and use that for navigation? Or cross reference what they see with what they're supposed to see, and if it doesn't match, to find a match?

Yeah, that's how they work, here's a four year old article on it: http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/artificial-intelligence/how-google-self-driving-car-works

quote:

Two things seem particularly interesting about Google's approach. First, it relies on very detailed maps of the roads and terrain, something that Urmson said is essential to determine accurately where the car is. Using GPS-based techniques alone, he said, the location could be off by several meters.

The second thing is that, before sending the self-driving car on a road test, Google engineers drive along the route one or more times to gather data about the environment. When it's the autonomous vehicle's turn to drive itself, it compares the data it is acquiring to the previously recorded data, an approach that is useful to differentiate pedestrians from stationary objects like poles and mailboxes.

It seems that they need prepared data to drive fast and fall back to a extremely slow and cautious mode if they don't have the map, or if the road has changed extensively: http://www.technologyreview.com/news/530276/hidden-obstacles-for-googles-self-driving-cars/

quote:

Google often leaves the impression that, as a Google executive once wrote, the cars can “drive anywhere a car can legally drive.” However, that’s true only if intricate preparations have been made beforehand, with the car’s exact route, including driveways, extensively mapped. Data from multiple passes by a special sensor vehicle must later be pored over, meter by meter, by both computers and humans. It’s vastly more effort than what’s needed for Google Maps.

Google’s cars are better at handling some mapping omissions than others. If a new stop light appeared overnight, for example, the car wouldn’t know to obey it. However the car would slow down or stop if its on-board sensors detected any traffic or obstacles in its path.

Google’s cars can detect and respond to stop signs that aren’t on its map, a feature that was introduced to deal with temporary signs used at construction sites. But in a complex situation like at an unmapped four-way stop the car might fall back to slow, extra cautious driving to avoid making a mistake. Google says that its cars can identify almost all unmapped stop signs, and would remain safe if they miss a sign because the vehicles are always looking out for traffic, pedestrians and other obstacles.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grim Up North posted:

If a new stop light appeared overnight, for example, the car wouldn’t know to obey it.

welp.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Linedance posted:

I ask because right now Waze can't tell the difference between driving on a raised highway and driving on a surface street that runs underneath it, and GPS isn't lane-accurate enough to differentiate between parallel adjacent roads going the same direction.

Yes, there's a lot of sensor fusion that goes on. Ford's cars use a combo of LIDAR, GPS, and on-board gyroscopes: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/08/face-to-face-with-fords-self-driving-fusion-hybrid-research-vehicles/

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MrOnBicycle posted:

After reading a bit about the new laws about electric cars having to make noise in order to be safer for pedestrians, I found this:

I like it so far.

So they are doing Ford's "fake engine soundinator" thing, except pumping it to the outside instead of the inside? I'm not a fan, I like the coming of completely (well, not really completely) silent cars.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

The Locator posted:

So they are doing Ford's "fake engine soundinator" thing, except pumping it to the outside instead of the inside? I'm not a fan, I like the coming of completely (well, not really completely) silent cars.

Haven't heard Fords take on it. As long as it isn't a stupid beep that can't be controlled, I'm happy. Besides, "silent" cars won't happen it seems. At least not in city traffic and those speeds. Law is coming in 2018 for the US.

Having sound going into the cabin via speakers is the dumbest thing ever though.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

The Locator posted:

I like the coming of completely (well, not really completely) silent cars.

In our litigious public society full of generally unaware fools? Good luck, you're overruled.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

http://youtu.be/sZJjTEmXaf8

RE: silent cars

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Chris Urmson: How a driverless car sees the road | TED

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
How does Elon justify customers paying $2,500 for enabling a feature in software? Referring to Autopilot. $2,500 add-on during purchase, or $3,000 to enable after delivery.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Same way anyone justifies selling software, I imagine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ranter posted:

How does Elon justify customers paying $2,500 for enabling a feature in software? Referring to Autopilot. $2,500 add-on during purchase, or $3,000 to enable after delivery.

Have you even heard of Apple?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ranter posted:

The same reason you can't just make a satellite dish yourself and capture all the signals that are buzzing around your head already. They are already there but you gotta pay to unlock them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ranter posted:

What you charge a customer for literally fuckin anything on earth does not have to be "just" in any sense of the word.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ranter posted:

It's not some foreign concept business model. At least they aren't forcing you to spend $10k on an options package you want nothing else from in order to get it, which is a major annoyance with every other manufacturer. What would be interesting to see is if they pursue a subscription model like software companies have done, so that instead of an upfront fee, you pay as long as you're using it and can cancel your Autopilot subscription any time. And when you trade in for a new model, your software subscription follows you.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

It seems a bit steep from the perspective of a poor schlub who sees that as about a year worth of Leaf payments, and that's still a week's salary for someone making low six figures, but I can't imagine this is a hugely steep price for the majority of Tesla owners, especially if you can buy it as an option when you first get the car.

Now weird that that last part has a $500 fee but they can charge it so why not :v:

Not to mention it's a roundabout way of paying for the hardware (nevermind R&D and data transfer costs) that's included standard so that the feature can work in the first place, since it's not just something that can be thrown on aftermarket.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Boten Anna posted:

It seems a bit steep from the perspective of a poor schlub who sees that as about a year worth of Leaf payments, and that's still a week's salary for someone making low six figures, but I can't imagine this is a hugely steep price for the majority of Tesla owners, especially if you can buy it as an option when you first get the car.

Now weird that that last part has a $500 fee but they can charge it so why not :v:

Not to mention it's a roundabout way of paying for the hardware (nevermind R&D and data transfer costs) that's included standard so that the feature can work in the first place, since it's not just something that can be thrown on aftermarket.

Yeah I imagine a lot of people are leasing the car so they will look at it as just $20 more a month or whatever it comes out to be

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IIRC from talking to the guy at the store, more than 3/4s of Teslas are purchased rather than leased, which I found surprising at the time. But yeah it's like 2.5% of the purchase price or whatever, I would be pretty surprised if many people were buying without the autopilot package at this point.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Subjunctive posted:

IIRC from talking to the guy at the store, more than 3/4s of Teslas are purchased rather than leased, which I found surprising at the time. But yeah it's like 2.5% of the purchase price or whatever, I would be pretty surprised if many people were buying without the autopilot package at this point.

Especially now that it's actually functional. Before, you were paying for a feature that hadn't actually been released yet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It was always used for TACC, and the sensors for parking assist/speed limit tracking, I believe.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Linedance posted:

It's not some foreign concept business model. At least they aren't forcing you to spend $10k on an options package you want nothing else from in order to get it, which is a major annoyance with every other manufacturer.

Hell, it's less than what Toyota charges for the Advanced Technology Package on the Prius (which is only offered on the top trim level, and is basically a much less advanced version of the stuff in the Tesla autopilot system).

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
So when will we see 2016 Volts in California? I see that they were able to be ordered, and it looks like January for them arriving in dealerships. Anyone know anything else?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Linedance posted:

GPS isn't lane-accurate enough to differentiate between parallel adjacent roads going the same direction.

GPS can be that accurate (and more!), but your consumer-level GPS in your phone or garmin isn't going to be.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Frinkahedron posted:

GPS can be that accurate (and more!), but your consumer-level GPS in your phone or garmin isn't going to be.

Sure, lets just set up D-GPS stations every quarter mile along every road. I'm sure that will solve all of our (or rather AI) problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Brigdh posted:

Sure, lets just set up D-GPS stations every quarter mile along every road. I'm sure that will solve all of our (or rather AI) problems.

Or subscribe to omnistar, 10cm accuracy or less!

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 9, 2015

• Locked thread