Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jesus fuckin christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

actually, wpf is perfect

Shaggar??

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
THAT WAS IRONIC RIGHT

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

wpf is v good

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
it's better than qt

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
i've enjoyed building stuff in qt much more than building stuff in wpf, but my last wpf experience was in 2010 so i guess things have changed since then

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagacity posted:

i've enjoyed building stuff in qt much more than building stuff in wpf, but my last wpf experience was in 2010 so i guess things have changed since then

you are either wrong or broken

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Wpf is good but very very far from perfect

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
but what in this sin soaked world isn't

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Bloody posted:

you are either wrong or broken
thanks

the main pain point for me was the styling of custom components. it was really hard to do any kind of styling on a wpf component without having to deep dive into its internals and replacing oddly named internal styles and whatnot

oh and not cross-platform, obv

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
styling in wpf is pretty easy. you can do responsive design w/ it too

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
just use tk, your app will look like something from 1995 but things were better then anyway

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
wpf is the least terrible gui framework i've used

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
and that includes the old form builder things that people like to masturbate over while making GBS threads on the state of web uis. those made it very easy to build 90s uis but not anything that'd be considered acceptable now

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
I quite liked JUCE too, btw

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
terrible programmer here. what do you do when you feel completely out of your element on a project. and it makes you procrastinate way longer than you should. and when you do try to work on it, you don't really make any useful progress. and it's too late to ask for help because everyone would know you just pissed away all that time. so its a horrible combined feeling that you're inadequate and a fraud.

what do you do.

besides drink i mean.

asking for a friend.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the answer is post on yospos so you're doing the best you can

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

BANME.sh posted:

terrible programmer here. what do you do when you feel completely out of your element on a project. and it makes you procrastinate way longer than you should. and when you do try to work on it, you don't really make any useful progress. and it's too late to ask for help because everyone would know you just pissed away all that time. so its a horrible combined feeling that you're inadequate and a fraud.

what do you do.

besides drink i mean.

asking for a friend.

I don't know, keep it up? If you're like me you also start falling asleep any time you try to get familiar with the technologies involved in the project.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
if someone gets mad about you not programming good enough remind them that its not that big of a deal. there are more important things in life than doing a good computer program.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

BANME.sh posted:

and it's too late to ask for help because everyone would know you just pissed away all that time. so its a horrible combined feeling that you're inadequate and a fraud.

you can dash out a few 'architectural visions' for some other part of the system other than what you need help with and masquerade as a different type of incompetent

"well, as soon as I figure out this godawful interface bit, my homogenizing frameworkable stacking containerizer will take care of the rest. could you explain this bit"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

BANME.sh posted:

what do you do.

besides drink i mean.

asking for a friend.

what do you mean out of your element? do you mean that you're having a hard time getting up to speed on the business logic, data flow, domain, etc?

or do you mean that the project is delving into some technical domain that you're uncomfortable with?

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

thanks for your posting!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

what do you do.

besides drink i mean.

asking for a friend.

i would learn how to do it. or start looking for new jobs before they find out

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

and it's too late to ask for help because everyone would know you just pissed away all that time.

it's never too late

suck it up and admit you're stuck

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Brain Candy posted:

it's never too late

suck it up and admit you're stuck

this, no one* cares

*terrible overachievers excluded

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
yeah seriously tho i think everyone understands that feeling. better to be up front about it now and get some help than to wait until the last minute and be empty handed.

idk what it is like where you work -- but people probably already know what's up if you're not generating any output.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Barnyard Protein posted:

idk what it is like where you work -- but people probably already know what's up if you're not generating any output.

at my biggest company i could've gone a couple months without someone looking at anything i'd produced

its terrifying

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

BANME.sh posted:

what do you do.

besides drink i mean.

asking for a friend.

Frame it as, "I've tried a couple different strategies and they've all led to dead ends." Other seasoned developers will sympathize.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

CPColin posted:

Frame it as, "I've tried a couple different strategies and they've all led to dead ends." Other seasoned developers will sympathize.
This is good advice, but be prepared to explain the strategies you tried.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Just say, "Singleton, decorator, software-as-a-service." or something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i had to straight up own up to a cock up last night that wasted a lady maybe 10 minutes. gently caress

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I hate the part in a lazy project where you've got all these files and experiments and stuff and you've got a nice 20% of your code that is good and makes sense and then you have 80% of your code that is broken and bad and you have to start deleting the bad stuff but it's annoying because the 20% of your code that is good is entwined with the bad stuff

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

i had to straight up own up to a cock up last night that wasted a lady maybe 10 minutes. gently caress

decent, i only waste about 15 seconds of their time

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I work at a small company and there's little to no structure, so I can go long periods without having to show any output. Mostly because I've proven myself as competent in the past and I am trusted, but everyone goes through rough patches and it's really easy to dick around when you aren't feeling motivated.

My boss is understanding and I will probably just fess up about it, nbd. Just makes you feel kinda lovely as a developer.

For those curious, I started the project with another developer many months ago but then got pulled off it to work on something else. Now that project is nearing completion and I am being brought back in to help finish it for launch, and it's a whole different beast now vs when I started. At least that's my excuse.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I'm building a task runner like luigi (where you specify job dependencies and it builds a dependency graph and then resolves the jobs) in Elixir

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i copied and pasted some code from stack over flow to connect the nodes and it sucks

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
also you know you're a lovely web developer when you use HTML/JS for your UI for non web applications.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Subjunctive: When is facebook releasing React Native for OSX and Windows and Linux??? Please tell the React Team to get on this, tyvm.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i don't get react
it's like there's html in my javascript so now it looks even worse.
and hey, a comeback of the onclick attribute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Subjunctive: When is facebook releasing React Native for OSX and Windows and Linux??? Please tell the React Team to get on this, tyvm.

quote:

A note about Windows as a dev environment: As RN iOS requires a Mac and most of the programmers at Facebook and the RN developers use Macs, support for OS X is a top priority. However, we would like to support developers using Linux and Windows too. We believe we'll get the best Windows support from people using Windows on a daily basis. So to begin with, Windows support for the development environment is an ongoing community responsibility.

never

• Locked thread