Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Gaz-L posted:

And, I believe, back in the day it wasn't pheromones, but literally him being purple that did it. Daredevil fought him a lot because Matt was immune due to his blindness. It's since been retconned to being people with very strong willpower or mental defences can resist him, so people like Daredevil, Captain America, and most famously, Doom can withstand his power.

There's a story - Emperor Doom - where Dr. Doom kidnaps Kilgrave, puts him in a giant prism machine and amplifies his power to conquer the world. Doom has to put a mini-prism on Namor to conquer his will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

There's a story - Emperor Doom - where Dr. Doom kidnaps Kilgrave, puts him in a giant prism machine and amplifies his power to conquer the world. Doom has to put a mini-prism on Namor to conquer his will.

Yes, and Doom has a pretty well-known scene in that where he takes off his helmet and lets Kilgrave hit him with the whammy. And ignores him while the Purple Man freaks the gently caress out that he can't control Doom and it's not because of the armour.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Mortanis posted:

I'm going to guess that Jessica Jones won't have been Jewel, but likely just fighting crime without a costume or name. Having a costumed hero out in the open doesn't fit with the MCU, but it's still important to the character that she have been out on the streets doing the thing.

One of the episode titles and the synopsis in the promo comic suggest otherwise, though that's not really enough to say for sure.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
1602 Universe existed because Purple Man became Purple President and chased down the heroes because they were immune to his power. For reasons he sent cap back in time with his memory wiped, so for reasons the Marvel Universe started appearing the late 16th century.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
1602CU confirmed???

Also he didn't wipe Cap's memory; Cap was just keeping his identity secret because he saw it as a second chance at building America right or something like that. It was only upon being told that a time traveller was responsible for the end of the world that he came forward.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Argue posted:

1602CU confirmed???

Also he didn't wipe Cap's memory; Cap was just keeping his identity secret because he saw it as a second chance at building America right or something like that. It was only upon being told that a time traveller was responsible for the end of the world that he came forward.

Ah I haven't read the original mini in forever so I thought for some reason Rogers didn't know who he was, that's why he was dressing like a native American, as they had found him.

It's too bad Marvel doesn't do direct to dvd movies like DC does, stuff like that would be perfect for those releases.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Ah I haven't read the original mini in forever so I thought for some reason Rogers didn't know who he was, that's why he was dressing like a native American, as they had found him.

It's too bad Marvel doesn't do direct to dvd movies like DC does, stuff like that would be perfect for those releases.

Don't be so hard on Batman V Superman I am sure it will make money.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

tragedyjones posted:

Don't be so hard on Batman V Superman I am sure it will make money.

um.....zing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

They do, and they are absolutely awful.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

They haven't done one for ages, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

So, same as DC?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

So, same as DC?

Marvel's features make Justice League War look like Crisis on Two Earths.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Hulk vs. was okay.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, some DC are pretty good, like aformentioned Crisis on Two Earths, and i'll say I really enjoyed Doom, All Star Superman and First Flight. Lately they've been kind of lacking. Flashpoint still has that moment where Bruce is given the letter from his father on point though, the rest feels just brutal for the sake of brutality.

The Marvel ones I can think of are the two Ultimate Movies, which made me think that Marvel was trying to make the Ultimate Universe the primary one and ignore the mainstream universe, and then the two anime one which are so loving anime its not funny. Lots of classical music and German philosophy. The Black Widow/Punisher one has Amadeus Cho and the first appearance of Captain Marvel outside of comics, but other than that it's pretty painful.

Ideally, I'd like to see Marvel doing animated direct to video features that are younger hero focused, Runaways and Young Avengers specifically. Obviously there are subject matter in both those they'd have to downplay or straight up ignore, but the market for those would be for kids who love Marvel but aren't quite old enough to go see all the movies.

I like some of the resent DC ones, Assault on Arkham and Gods and Monsters, but the rest are kind of weak. Well I kind of liked Year One too, except I wish they'd have cut all the Batman parts. :cheeky:

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 26, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, some DC are pretty good, like aformentioned Crisis on Two Earths, and i'll say I really enjoyed Doom, All Star Superman and First Flight. Lately they've been kind of lacking. Flashpoint still has that moment where Bruce is given the letter from his father on point though, the rest feels just brutal for the sake of brutality.

The Marvel ones I can think of are the two Ultimate Movies, which made me think that Marvel was trying to make the Ultimate Universe the primary one and ignore the mainstream universe, and then the two anime one which are so loving anime its not funny. Lots of classical music and German philosophy. The Black Widow/Punisher one has Amadeus Cho and the first appearance of Captain Marvel outside of comics, but other than that it's pretty painful.

Ideally, I'd like to see Marvel doing animated direct to video features that are younger hero focused, Runaways and Young Avengers specifically. Obviously there are subject matter in both those they'd have to downplay or straight up ignore, but the market for those would be for kids who love Marvel but aren't quite old enough to go see all the movies.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I want direct to video animated adaptations of Mirage TMNT so bad.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Zythrst posted:

Hulk vs. was okay.

Planet Hulk is also pretty alright, but it has the All-Star Superman and New Frontier problem of being a truncated adaption of a far superior comic.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hulk Vs. and Planet Hulk were both very good, I thought. I liked them better than some of the recent DC ones I've seen for sure.

Marvel are so weird about animation, you wouldn't think it'd be a problem pumping out quality stuff considering they're owned by loving Disney.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Hulk Vs. and Planet Hulk were both very good, I thought. I liked them better than some of the recent DC ones I've seen for sure.

Marvel are so weird about animation, you wouldn't think it'd be a problem pumping out quality stuff considering they're owned by loving Disney.

Didn't most of these come out before Disney bought 'em though?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I really only enjoyed the Wolverine half of Hulk Vs.

The Thor half was kinda dull

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Why is there no thread for Supergirl? Was the leaked pilot really that bad? :ohdear:

The actress who plays Supergirl was on Glee with Grant Gustin aka The Flash. 1) we need a Neil Patrick Harris / Music Meister crossover episode and 2) was Glee a show with bad writers, but good acting? I've only ever heard bad things about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Heathen posted:

Why is there no thread for Supergirl? Was the leaked pilot really that bad? :ohdear:

The actress who plays Supergirl was on Glee with Grant Gustin aka The Flash. 1) we need a Neil Patrick Harris / Music Meister crossover episode and 2) was Glee a show with bad writers, but good acting? I've only ever heard bad things about it.

I think DP/XO asked people to not make a thread 4 months in advance for a show. Hopefully someone puts something together tonight.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We don't do threads for shows here in BSS. That's a TVIV thing. If there's not one there that means there's little interest for it probably.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

We don't do threads for shows here in BSS. That's a TVIV thing. If there's not one there that means there's little interest for it probably.

I thought he meant in TV IV. Am I crazy or didn't you ask people in the Arrow thread to not make a Flash thread when the pilot leaked because the season was 5 months away?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I thought he meant in TV IV.

I did. If anyone watched the leaked pilot it would be a BSSer not a random TVIV poster.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Generally if you want to make a thread in TVIV you do it a week or two before the show starts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I haven't seen a whole lot of promotion for it, but maybe creepy old Jeb will give it a boost.

I don't watch CBS much though. Not at all right now actually, I don't think.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the premise sounds stupid Limitless is actually really good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's probably no one who wants to bother making a thread for Supergirl.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

There's probably no one who wants to bother making a thread for Supergirl.

Then Calista Flockhart has truly won.

They're running it after BBT so that probably helps.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 27, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One problem I can see with Supergirl is if the season long threat is a bunch of evil Kryptonians it's going to be kind of odd if Superman never helps.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it's a multiracial prison.

That pilot was pretty groanworthy though, hopefully next week is better. They were really laying on the "you can't be a hero, your a GIRL" pretty thick, and it just isn't believable that anyone would talk like that in 2015. Even mysoginists use coded language.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

greatn posted:

I think it's a multiracial prison.

That pilot was pretty groanworthy though, hopefully next week is better. They were really laying on the "you can't be a hero, your a GIRL" pretty thick, and it just isn't believable that anyone would talk like that in 2015. Even mysoginists use coded language.

Not as coded as you'd think

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That Red Tornado costume looks just as bad on the show as it does in the promo shots.

http://i.imgur.com/QescvUO.jpg

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Honestly thought it had googly eyes at first glance

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

That Red Tornado costume looks just as bad on the show as it does in the promo shots.

Even if the show quality improves over the next few episodes, there's no way this won't be a universally hated part of the show.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Nice try Ivan Ooze but we know it's you.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

While the premise sounds stupid Limitless is actually really good.

Was that based on a comic? I thought the film was okay, although it struck me as a textbook example of why it's dangerous to write about characters who are much smarter than you.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

X-O posted:

I actually didn't think the original promo shots looked too terrible. I actually really liked the texture on his armor since it made it look almost stone-like, and I thought the face could potentially be improved with special effects and color correction (like I automatically assumed his eyes would be glowing or something to hide how goofy they were). It looked bad for sure, but in a way where it could look cooler in motion if they used the right lighting and effects.

This actually looks way worse, everything about it looks cheap garbage. Even that weird brick thing he is being stored in/emerging from looks like it's made of spray painted foam. It looks like someone built a life-size masters of the universe playset to cosplay in.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That's a character portrayal completely in fitting with how poo poo the Red Tornado is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The one character that they really probably should've kept in tight spandex and leather.