Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I wish I could use my cooler ng+ build but then I have to beat 80% of the game again ._.

So I'm stuck with my lame end game build. I know there's the pre built but mommm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I've just arrived at Vizima. I'm guessing these questions are to simulate a Witcher 2 save? What are the best answers to pick for the most Witchery experience?

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
How do I activate the alt axii? There must be something I am missing cause I refuse to believe that after all the patching they've done, they still haven't fixed the bug where alt axii doesn't happen if you hold down the key on PC.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Parkingtigers posted:

I've just arrived at Vizima. I'm guessing these questions are to simulate a Witcher 2 save? What are the best answers to pick for the most Witchery experience?
If they ask you whether you killed somebody or not always answer that they lived because all you achieve otherwise is lose an encounter with them in Witcher 3. That's all there is to it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Parkingtigers posted:

All that really matters for your purposes is that you tell him you didn't kill Letho.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've never finished Witcher 2, hell I couldn't even get out of the swamp at the start because it was so tedious. How much am I missing out?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Well then, I'm a generous man who spared many lives. Thanks.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

I've never finished Witcher 2, hell I couldn't even get out of the swamp at the start because it was so tedious. How much am I missing out?

A whole lot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

But the beginning of Witcher 2 was a castle and then a forest.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I've seen lots of people refer to Flotsam as a swamp even though it's not one. I guess it's because it's near a river?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Well crap, I remember it distinctly as a swam, but its been years since i was playing it. I don't think I'm really hurting myself by keep working on 3, but I'd probably be served going back and playing it again later.

I figured I was missing out, because unlike Dragon Age, its the same character, rather than a new one.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I've seen lots of people refer to Flotsam as a swamp even though it's not one. I guess it's because it's near a river?
I think its the misty nekker area near the start that does it. Its a pretty jungly forest sometimes and the nekker poo poo + far-off actual small swamp area with that bandit hut just make it merge into one giant "swamp"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hey cdpr guy, can i suggest a qol thing for the next expansion?
i like to skip lines of dialog if they are slow and i've read the subtitle already and this works 90% of the time but every once in a while the game puts a lot of dialog on one skip.

examples: Olgierds letter to his wife, the doctor lady's boat ride with geralt after the party

can you tell somebody not to do that so i don't have to find it on youtube.

also, maybe give your expansion stock characters some decent gwent cards.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

i like to skip lines of dialog if they are slow and i've read the subtitle already and this works 90% of the time but every once in a while the game puts a lot of dialog on one skip.

examples: Olgierds letter to his wife, the doctor lady's boat ride with geralt after the party

Yes, this was very annoying for me too. Another example is preparing for the Frog prince

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fooz posted:

I think i cheesed most of the HoS bosses. Quen & potion chugging ahoy. The first fight with Olgierd hosed me up.

Oh yeah, I actually found that fight the hardest one in the game, yeah, even more than Iris' Fear, since they at least had the decency of having less health and they'd sometimes interrupt one another.. I think it is the only time you fight someone as mobile as Geralt and while having all the bombs and most of the signs made useless. On the other hand, I did the Caretaker in a single try, attract him to the gazebo, as that as an easier place to find the spectres he will use to try to heal himself. Grapeshot is your friend here. Apart from that his attacks are pretty easy to dodge and leave plenty of openings to hit him through.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fooz posted:

I think i cheesed most of the HoS bosses. Quen & potion chugging ahoy. The first fight with Olgierd hosed me up.

I never fought Olgierd. I take it you get in a fight if you object too strenuously to the execution?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

^ yeah, it was a pretty cool story beat too

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fooz posted:

^ yeah, it was a pretty cool story beat too

He distracted me for a second, and his henchmen lopped off the guy's head with my back turned. He then explained the reason for the execution and I was like "fair enough" and didn't give it a second thought. One bandit more or less doesn't faze me.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

sounds waay less cool than the alternative. The cutscene after the fight is the ultimate olgierd moment (if a bit trite). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN-goIzFBc4

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

It kind of feels weird that after all these patches they haven't done anything about combining superior white raffard's and the skill that makes your potions not run out to become literally immortal for 5+ minutes. I know it's a singleplayer game and if you don't like something you just don't use it but they've done a bunch of balance changes before, so why not this one.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Shani just threw up while I was banging her . GOTY.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm replaying W1 for the ...9th time? Who knows. I love all the Witcher games and am doing a trilogy playthrough atm. It baffles me how much thought and foreshadowing are in these games and if played like a trilogy totally out-class Mass Effect in regards to how well thought out the themes are. The Wild Hunt hounding you from chapter 1 onwards and then Radovid straight up saying in W1 about sorceresses "one day i'll put them in their place." Also, if you ever want to use an Xbox Controller with W1, there is an app called "Pinnacle Profiler" and the W1 profile works like a charm.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

The voice acting in this game is top notch. I just turn off the subtitles so I'm not tempted.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Most conversations are fairly basic: play animation 1 + voice file 1; when voice file 1 ends, play animation 2 + voice file 2 etc. Some conversations are more complicated and cinematic though - the boat ride, for example, is one continuous animation with synced up voice files laid on top of it. CDPR probably decided that it's too difficult to skip through those continuous animations, so that's why the entire section is skipped rather than line-by-line. Look at it like skipping a cutscene as opposed to skipping dialogue.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

chaosapiant posted:

I'm replaying W1 for the ...9th time? Who knows. I love all the Witcher games and am doing a trilogy playthrough atm. It baffles me how much thought and foreshadowing are in these games and if played like a trilogy totally out-class Mass Effect in regards to how well thought out the themes are. The Wild Hunt hounding you from chapter 1 onwards and then Radovid straight up saying in W1 about sorceresses "one day i'll put them in their place." Also, if you ever want to use an Xbox Controller with W1, there is an app called "Pinnacle Profiler" and the W1 profile works like a charm.

This sounds cool, how does Witcher 1 play with a controller? Easier? Harder? It's been a long time since I played and this is tempting me.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fooz posted:

sounds waay less cool than the alternative. The cutscene after the fight is the ultimate olgierd moment (if a bit trite). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN-goIzFBc4

Jesus christ. That's a hell of a way to introduce a character.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Too bad the only way you can get that scene is to defend a man who pretty much deserves to get his head chopped off.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Too bad the only way you can get that scene is to defend a man who pretty much deserves to get his head chopped off.

Honestly, I couldn't care less for the man, I just wanted to annoy Olgierd.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I roleplay Geralt as a staunch opponent of the death penalty :colbert:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Do you guys bother with the R3 lock-on at all? I've been ignoring it for the most part, and doing well too. What's the consensus on the use of it, crutch for weaker players or path to greatness?

I'll probably never use it myself, prefer to remain free and fluid.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Parkingtigers posted:

Do you guys bother with the R3 lock-on at all? I've been ignoring it for the most part, and doing well too. What's the consensus on the use of it, crutch for weaker players or path to greatness?

Its handy every now and then for shield guys or drowners or something, but in crowded fights i find it to be a liability as well. If i am in a 1v1 situation i often use it so i can more accurately roll or dodge and hit them in the back.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Parkingtigers posted:

I use it when I'm fighting just one enemy. I find it really useful on large stuff like Elementals, Cyclops, Draconids etc where you want to do a couple of hits then dodge a couple of times before striking again. Being locked on helps you dodge in a circle around them (go the left by the way and you'll dodge through most of their attacks). I'm also using it on shield guys for the same reason but I make sure all their comrades are dead first because locking onto one person in a group is a quick way to get Geralt very dead.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Helith posted:

This sounds cool, how does Witcher 1 play with a controller? Easier? Harder? It's been a long time since I played and this is tempting me.

It's a tad awkward at first but now it's second nature and I find it easier to play now than with mouse and keyboard.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Does anyone find the default minimap zoomed in way too much? I had to get a mod to allow me to zoom out so I can see where I am even going without having to look at the big map constantly.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I started the actual story part of HoS last night. Is it a glitch that I was able to pause and put on all my gear during the shipwreck fight? I paused to drink some White Raffard's near death and figured Id try it and it let me. :v:

Also Frog Prince fight wasn't so bad. I don't use quen at all though so my combat style is probably a bit different from most of y'all's.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
"Hey dude, wanna travel across the world to some islands and find me a gift for my wife?"
"Sure no prob"
*sails across the world and deals with horrendous swimming controls to find a black pearl*
"Here's your pearl, man. Where's my coin?"
"Bring COIN on a BOAT? Ya right, come back to Novigrad and I'll pay you."
"OK, w/e"
*endures excruciating loading screen to get back to Novigrad"
"Here's your reward:"

TEN CROWNS? SERIOUSLY? 10????

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
His wife has dementia, give him a break.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

If the quest "Collect 'Em All" is still open, that means it's still actually doable, right? It should fail if I actually permanently missed a card or something?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

If the quest "Collect 'Em All" is still open, that means it's still actually doable, right? It should fail if I actually permanently missed a card or something?

I don't believe this is true, unless they changed that in a patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Fooz posted:

What armor is Geralt wearing here? Superior Wolf? It looks pretty badass.