Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I went to something similar in Brisbane where he had his electrics and basically did a guitar class / discussion forum. It was fascinating and I loved it, even though I went by myself. Definitely worth seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Trailer for the RAH show.

Can't wait to get live versions of Namaste, Heatwave, Universal Flame and Funeral on my ipod - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv9vnQ-bJyc

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

henpod posted:

Trailer for the RAH show.

Can't wait to get live versions of Namaste, Heatwave, Universal Flame and Funeral on my ipod - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv9vnQ-bJyc

Did the bitrate of YouTube videos get increased recently ? That may have been the most crisp sounding and looking video I've seen on there.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I don't know but the sound mix sounds pretty good this time. I think the Retinal Circus sounds like rear end, and the previous lot weren't great either.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

yeah the By A Thread DVDs sounded terrible IMO.. this sounds much better.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Went to the Melbourne show tonight and holy cow he played Death Of Music and it was incredible.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyPfrbJKMpg

Poozers from the Albert show. So many goons in the crowd.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

spamman posted:

Went to the Melbourne show tonight and holy cow he played Death Of Music and it was incredible.

I went to his Acoustic show and both Melbourne shows.

It was always incredible.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

henpod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyPfrbJKMpg

Poozers from the Albert show. So many goons in the crowd.

Can't wait for this dvd!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
That is the most ridiculous flying V I've ever seen, and I've seen some ridiculous guitars in my time

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

That is the most ridiculousawesome flying V I've ever seen, and I've seen some ridiculousawesome guitars in my time

FTFY, smoke machine guitar is super rad.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Friend of a friend went to one of Devin Townsend's clinics and word is it was funny and worth it although somewhat disconcerting in some places. He talked about the disappointments of his career, made fun of heavy metal a lot, talked about how run down and burnt out he currently is, and wasn't too keen about his last 2 records (sky blue and z2).

Hope he can find a way to level down and recharge his batteries.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

poor guy, Sky Blue's one of the best things he's done in years :(

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Yeh he said when he did the guitar clinic here last year that he just had to put it out because he had promised it and so he had to see it to completion. It really wasn't something he actually wanted to do by the sounds of it.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

It kind of sounded like Casualties of Cool was the only thing he's been interested in doing and the rest have been things he's felt obligated to do. Like, Sky Blue was just closer to what he felt like making during the Zē process. They're all amazing and Dev no doubt puts his all in to them, but it seems he's under, or puts himself under constraints to please labels and fans. He's also crazy humble, too, so he seems to down play so much of what he's done.

It looks like the same 4 who did choir vocals in the By a Thread Deconstruction concert are in the RAH show?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

poor guy, Sky Blue's one of the best things he's done in years :(

God yes, was ear binging with Zē for too long before I bothered to put Sky Blue on. It's amazing.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

KildarX posted:

FTFY, smoke machine guitar is super rad.

Did I say I didn't think it was awesome?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I still really can't get into Sky Blue honestly :(

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Nam Taf posted:

Yeh he said when he did the guitar clinic here last year that he just had to put it out because he had promised it and so he had to see it to completion. It really wasn't something he actually wanted to do by the sounds of it.

I personally found Dark Matters really disappointing. It is too muddy and a lot of the music is repetitive and uninspiring - Poozers is a good example, it's just way too long. Basically everything up until Deathray sounds like a series of intros that go way too long.

I loved Sky Blue when it came out, and while I don't mind it I definitely see its flaws now.

Casualties was amazing, I hope Dev gives himself the space and the freedom to go off the beaten track some more

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Everything since Addicted! has been really difficult for me to give repeat listens to. Not because I don't like them but rather that with things like Spotify/Bandcamp etc I'm finding it really different to give anything genuine replays in short succession like I used to. There's always some perpetually never ending to do list of thing I need to listen to first. As a result only a few tracks in the past few years have really gotten stuck in my head (Chief of which being Cry Forever - some b-side off Epicloud).

Having said that, it all sounded great live. March of the Poozers (had to look it up after the show) was massive.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I pity the fool that don't like War Princess :colbert:

I do agree that CoC is way better than either part of Z2 though.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Yeah, even though I like heavy Devin stuff, Casualties was a really cool album, and something he really wanted to do. It's got so many little touches in the sound and it does feel more like a work of passion. Sky Blue and Z2 do feel a little forced in places. Universal Flame and Midnight Sun are cool though. Poozers has some good ideas but is repetitive and goes on too long for sure. I like Ziltoid Goes Home only because it reminds me of his SYL sound.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

spamman posted:

There's always some perpetually never ending to do list of thing I need to listen to first.
glad I'm not the only one who keeps a giant list of poo poo to listen to and never feel like I make a dent lol

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really want a bluesy style album. Do a collaboration with Clutch or Crowbar or someone.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I don't even know what I'd do with the rest of the music in my collection if Devin Townsend and Clutch did a collaboration, there wouldn't be much point to having it anymore.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Right? They're very different sounding artists, yet the fanbase is pretty similar. Music nerds in their 30's n 40's

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Ever since I learned how little money this guy earns, I've gone out of my way to buy his poo poo. DVD looks great.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Chocobo posted:

Ever since I learned how little money this guy earns, I've gone out of my way to buy his poo poo. DVD looks great.

I know he said his takehome is something like 60k a year before taxes but honestly I just can't fathom it. He sells out these fairly large theaters, he tours constantly, and he isn't by any stretch an unknown musician. Either he's fudging numbers somewhere, he has a comically awful ability to funnel his income back to himself, or he's... I don't know, some kind of current day slave to a record company?

I'm sure he's not LYING about his income, but I just can't fathom how it can be accurate.

edit: Okay I just checked - in the past 12 months (nov 2014-present 2015) - he's done a US tour, an enormous Europe tour, recently did an Australian tour, and a handful of dates in the US.

His tours MUST turn a profit, or no one would back them. Unless he self-finances every tour he does, in which case he's just throwing money into a well. Assuming he has a manager, that manager is either the crookedest gently caress on the planet, or hilariously incompetent.

I know I'm probably coming off as really defensive about this, but I've been incredulous about the figure since he revealed it. #GetDevinANewAccountant

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 2, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Platypus Farm posted:

I know I'm probably coming off as really defensive about this, but I've been incredulous about the figure since he revealed it. #GetDevinANewAccountant

His albums don't sell, and his concerts are high risk investments. As a business owner, that's likely his pay as an employee of the company which he owns. The more the company earns and the less he pays himself the easier it is to write off all sorts of expenses. His accountant may be better at his job than you're giving him credit for.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

jonathan posted:

His albums don't sell, and his concerts are high risk investments. As a business owner, that's likely his pay as an employee of the company which he owns. The more the company earns and the less he pays himself the easier it is to write off all sorts of expenses. His accountant may be better at his job than you're giving him credit for.

Right, but if he's really struggling to make ends meet, then having extremely low take home isn't exactly a good trade off to have less of a tax bill.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Platypus Farm posted:

Right, but if he's really struggling to make ends meet, then having extremely low take home isn't exactly a good trade off to have less of a tax bill.

Well, I haven't seen anything say he's struggling. 60k/yr can provide a comfortable city life in New Westminster if his house is already paid for. Since he's stated he opened up a recording studio that failed from his own bankroll, it's not far fetched to think that his house and vehicles are paid for, and it's possible his wife brings in an income also. My brother used to work with his father falling trees, and his dad was living comfortably also.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

jonathan posted:

Well, I haven't seen anything say he's struggling. 60k/yr can provide a comfortable city life in New Westminster if his house is already paid for. Since he's stated he opened up a recording studio that failed from his own bankroll, it's not far fetched to think that his house and vehicles are paid for, and it's possible his wife brings in an income also. My brother used to work with his father falling trees, and his dad was living comfortably also.

That's all true.

I was mostly go by his saying about a year ago or whatever, that he was just doing things because he had to do them. To me that says he's doing whatever he can do to stay afloat. It's totally possible that I'm reading it all wrong though, that's for sure.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Deadhead from the RAH show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrDM6V08wcE

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Platypus Farm posted:

I always assumed he was paying his band a comfortable salary, and that's where his money went. Then I see all of the extras on stage in Retinal Circus, and I am reminded of MC Hammer going broke because of his massive posse.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I would think he pays his band a decent income. Add in a manager, roadies, the venue(?), fuel, and the bus driver(s?) to cart them and their gear around and expenses add up quick.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

GORDON posted:

I always assumed he was paying his band a comfortable salary, and that's where his money went. Then I see all of the extras on stage in Retinal Circus, and I am reminded of MC Hammer going broke because of his massive posse.

Yeah this is kinda what I'm getting at.

If he really IS paying for all this stuff out of pocket, this seems like a bullet train to broketown.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Well, I can remember an interview he did not too long after Ki came out and he said it sold like 150 copies in all of North America.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Also, holy poo poo that Deadhead video. I already ordered the DVD, what a loving show.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
My CD/DVD just arrived for me at work. Everyone on my pod is asking what it is, I don't really know how to explain it. 'uh, its a concert I went to a while back by a musician playing his album about an alien, but its metal music and there were dancing scrotums'. Jumped straight to the half with the proper DTP stuff, will listen to Ziltoid later.

henpod fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viivac
Jan 5, 2005

I need a cheaper hobby
Blu ray on the way because holy poo poo. The RAH mix sounds much better than BAT and RS.

• Locked thread