Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Colt is currently being sued by WWE through a proxy so I don't get mad at him being salty.

What is this all about? Haven't heard of that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Happy Happyist posted:

The WWE Doctor that Punk allgees mistreated his MRSA is suing Punk and Cabana for comments Punk made on Colt's podcast. WWE is supporting him as this is the closest they can get to suing Punk since the two parties agreed not to sue each other after Punk's departure.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Happy Happyist posted:

CM Punk went on Colt's podcast and called one of the WWE's doctors a complete quack. So now the doctor is suing Punk for defamation, and suing Colt for helping him do it. The WWE has come out in support of the doctor, and is likely helping with the suit, if not outright bankrolling it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I thought he didn't name the doctor. They're going to have a hard time proving that based on the podcast content.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

sticklefifer posted:

I thought he didn't name the doctor. They're going to have a hard time proving that based on the podcast content.

I don't remember them naming him, but given as it's the WWE doctor at Summerslam, he could probably argue that it's obvious who they are talking about.

Dunno how much weight this argument holds in a libel/slander case though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

He made it incredibly obvious who it was. A bigger issue would be if the podcast actually cost Amman any damages since he still has his job. That is of course if he's right.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

BrigadierSensible posted:

I don't remember them naming him, but given as it's the WWE doctor at Summerslam, he could probably argue that it's obvious who they are talking about.

Dunno how much weight this argument holds in a libel/slander case though.

Very little if I'm not mistaken, no matter how obvious he made it. Which honestly he didn't. I had no idea who he meant until the guy even brought up the lawsuit. He was demonizing WWE's lovely practices more than any one in particular. Either way as MRT said it would be very hard to prove he lost any sort of business because of it.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Plus wouldnt they be able to just look at Punk's medical record (assuming the story is true) and say "yup that doctor loving sucks"

Whats the chances WWE will bankroll the lawsuit and drop it at the last minute?

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Sionistic posted:

Plus wouldnt they be able to just look at Punk's medical record (assuming the story is true) and say "yup that doctor loving sucks"

Whats the chances WWE will bankroll the lawsuit and drop it at the last minute?

If the story is true, it's not defamation. If doctor can prove that the story isn't true and that Punk was deliberately trying to attack the guy, the doctor might at least have a chance of arguing that it was defamatory per se, which doesn't require proving any damages. I still don't think he has a real chance though. If the story is even a little true, I think it gets the benefit of the doubt for being a pro wrestler talking on a podcast, a medium not known for its strict adherence to facts.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

laz0rbeak posted:

If the story is true, it's not defamation. If doctor can prove that the story isn't true and that Punk was deliberately trying to attack the guy, the doctor might at least have a chance of arguing that it was defamatory per se, which doesn't require proving any damages. I still don't think he has a real chance though. If the story is even a little true, I think it gets the benefit of the doubt for being a pro wrestler talking on a podcast, a medium not known for its strict adherence to facts.

Yeah, from what I've learned about this lawsuit, it's basically completely frivolous, and the fact that it's still happening is kind of proof that WWE has some involvement, as they are probably prolonging it as some way to try and force Punk to spend all his money, or gently caress over one of his friends. If I remember in the podcast, Punk even says he went to another doctor, who stated that the infection was very far along, so all you would need to do is bring him in to prove that Punk was wrestling with it, wouldn't you? The only problem would be if WWE's doctor never kept any records of what he did when checking up on people, which would both be super lovely and completely believable

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The most important part of this story for those who missed it is that after the Doctor sued Punk and Colt; WWE released a video of slow-zooms of archival footage of Punk's rear end :allears:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
CM Punk's rear end was an inside job.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

The most important part of this story for those who missed it is that after the Doctor sued Punk and Colt; WWE released a video of slow-zooms of archival footage of Punk's rear end :allears:

the greatest gift ever given to us by this magical sport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alLmQFx801M

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The youtube music dubs goons made for that video were glorious.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Luigi Thirty posted:

DAVE READS THE DAVE QUOTE BOT

but does he also follow the dave quote bot bot

https://twitter.com/Observer90sBot/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bard Maddox posted:

but does he also follow the dave quote bot bot

https://twitter.com/Observer90sBot/

No but I checked and Bix and Karl Stern do.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Paper Lion posted:

the greatest gift ever given to us by this magical sport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alLmQFx801M

Was it ever explained how this got out, and why they thought it would be a good idea to host it on their main youtube page instead of on some dummy account?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Was it ever explained how this got out, and why they thought it would be a good idea to host it on their main youtube page instead of on some dummy account?

They put out a press release or legal document linking to it. It didn't leak out, they put it out.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

My favourite thing about the video? Their assumption that when Punk said "a lump the size of a softball" he meant "a literal softball hanging out of my asscheek" instead of "a swollen patch of skin with a 3" diameter"

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I have no idea if this is the right place for this but some writer at Uproxx had to issue an apology on twitter because he wrote an article about Naomi tweeting complaints about not being in the title picture, and he used the word "tantrum" to describe it, and people got upset at the word tantrum and he had to tweet an apology, and Brandon Stroud had to post a formal apology on the Uproxx wrestling section.

I didn't know "tantrum" was an offensive word. Is "tantrum" offensive? I'm seriously asking because I had no idea.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

fart blood posted:

I have no idea if this is the right place for this but some writer at Uproxx had to issue an apology on twitter because he wrote an article about Naomi tweeting complaints about not being in the title picture, and he used the word "tantrum" to describe it, and people got upset at the word tantrum and he had to tweet an apology, and Brandon Stroud had to post a formal apology on the Uproxx wrestling section.

I didn't know "tantrum" was an offensive word. Is "tantrum" offensive? I'm seriously asking because I had no idea.

This covers it really:
https://twitter.com/shumiley/status/659065077413367808/photo/1

The original article was really clumsy and poorly written. It kind of played on the Angry Black Woman stereotype.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

People were taking issue with the fact that similar article was written about Paige with the headline saying she "vented" frustration. Naomi is throwing a tantrum but Paige is just venting.

I didn't read either article and I can't tell you if they were written by the same person but the line of reasoning was similar to the black "looters" vs white "finders" type of headline thing.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

oatgan posted:

People were taking issue with the fact that similar article was written about Paige with the headline saying she "vented" frustration. Naomi is throwing a tantrum but Paige is just venting.

I didn't read either article and I can't tell you if they were written by the same person but the line of reasoning was similar to the black "looters" vs white "finders" type of headline thing.

Oh ok, that's a little different.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

In continuing coverage of Tantrumgate, noted best With Spandex writer David D. has written a response to the article, touching on the same framing issues Oatgan mentioned. It's a good article.

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/2015/10/naomi-diva-wwe/

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Can David D. just take over With Spandex? He's the most solid writer there and his reviews on old WCW PPVs (when was doing them), and that one piece he wrote on Harlem Heat made a fan out of me.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

Can David D. just take over With Spandex? He's the most solid writer there and his reviews on old WCW PPVs (when was doing them), and that one piece he wrote on Harlem Heat made a fan out of me.

I would be fine with this, personally. While I like Brandon and Danielle as writers, I absolutely adored the podcast they did and anything that allowed more of that to happen (or even made the old podcasts available again since Gredunza Press exploded) would be good in my opinion. I don't really have an opinion on Nathan Birch or ... the other people?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
https://twitter.com/RealKurtAngle/status/659420642803085312

Hace fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 28, 2015

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Nobody else called Naomi an aggressive black woman but Uproxx, acting like it’s a epidemic is a joke.

projecthalaxy posted:

I would be fine with this, personally. While I like Brandon and Danielle as writers, I absolutely adored the podcast they did and anything that allowed more of that to happen (or even made the old podcasts available again since Gredunza Press exploded) would be good in my opinion. I don't really have an opinion on Nathan Birch or ... the other people?

Brandon and Danielle are glorious example of do what I say not as I do. They get so pissy and passive agressive when someone calls them on their bullshit. Danielle blamed the reaction to Birch's article on "bros". When most of the people I saw angry at it were seemingly female and African American. She very clearly has her wheelhouse and can't see beyond self.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

:yikes:

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

#blessedKurt

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The rumor is Angle/Shamrock

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Well, we all knew he was probably going to die in the ring, we just didn't know which one.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

The issue shouldn't be against using 'tantrum' for Naomi, it should be over not using it to describe Paige. And then the argument should be that they use tantrum for the women but airing of grievances or whatever for men. And the solution there is to use tantrum for men too.

Wrestlers throw tantrums constantly anytime they don't get their way, pretending that any of them are maturely discussing their problems with management/opponents/referees is dishonest. Except maybe for CM Punk who sat down and calmly explained why the company is a cesspool, but he's gone and everyone else is a whiny baby.

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."

dromal phrenia posted:

Wrestlers throw tantrums constantly anytime they don't get their way, pretending that any of them are maturely discussing their problems with management/opponents/referees is dishonest. Except maybe for CM Punk who sat down and calmly explained why the company is a cesspool, but he's gone and everyone else is a whiny baby.

CM Punk is also a whiny baby. Maybe the whiniest of babies.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

yes because the company always has those whiners best interest in mind

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

I always expected him to die off a failed moonsault of the top of a cage in TNA in front of 50 non-paying people, but dying inside the Octogon by having his head snapped off clean in front of maybe 250 people at least sounds a little bit better.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Germansimp posted:

I always expected him to die off a failed moonsault of the top of a cage in TNA in front of 50 non-paying people, but dying inside the Octogon by having his head snapped off clean in front of maybe 250 people at least sounds a little bit better.

bellator has a circular cage and the ufc actually offered angle a spot on the ultimate fighter and promptly ran away screaming when his physicals came back. of course bellator would let him fight

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

a retard posted:

bellator has a circular cage and the ufc actually offered angle a spot on the ultimate fighter and promptly ran away screaming when his physicals came back. of course bellator would let him fight

Didn't that happen like 4-5 years ago too?

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Angle signed on for a fan fest. No fight, thankfully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

schweens posted:

Angle signed on for a fan fest. No fight, thankfully

You misspelled unfortunately