Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
What about Simple Calendar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

polynominal-c posted:

Is there an alternative for Agenda Widget that works on Android 5? Most other calendar widgets I've seen either don't integrate tasks/contact birthdays or are not as configurable as AW.

Today Calendar is a good calendar app that has decent widgets.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

What about Simple Calendar?

dik-dik posted:

Today Calendar is a good calendar app that has decent widgets.

I will try both, but it looks like the Simple Calendar widget only shows a single day (i.e. today).

polynominal-c fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 25, 2015

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

APW is still my favorite calendar because it's the only one I've found that will display a month view with text of what's happening, instead of just indicators.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I've been using Month. It's simple but has a lot of themes and you can display event names or moon cycles or whatever and you can see the whole year when you tap the header.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

XIII posted:

APW is still my favorite calendar because it's the only one I've found that will display a month view with text of what's happening, instead of just indicators.

That's the reason why I'm using aCalendar+

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bronin posted:

That's the reason why I'm using aCalendar+

Oops, I meant APW is the only widget (that I'm aware of) that displays that. Maybe aCalendar+ does, but I didn't see it.

EDIT: except Month, which I'm checking out now

DOUBLE EDIT: Month also does this and I really dig it.

XIII fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 26, 2015

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

I'm going to be doing some international travelling over the holidays and I'm trying to find a map/navigation app that will work without data, so I can just use my phone or tablet instead of bringing a dedicated GPS as well. Anyone know of any decent ones? The few I've found in the play store look kinda shady.

I'm going to be in Taiwan, Thailand and Japan, if different apps have different coverage areas.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

YamataNoOrochi posted:

I'm going to be doing some international travelling over the holidays and I'm trying to find a map/navigation app that will work without data, so I can just use my phone or tablet instead of bringing a dedicated GPS as well. Anyone know of any decent ones? The few I've found in the play store look kinda shady.

I'm going to be in Taiwan, Thailand and Japan, if different apps have different coverage areas.

HERE Maps, though it doesn't have Japan for reasons.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
I've found maps.me useful. Maps and navigation, and both are regularly updated. Navigation had trouble if your origin and destination were on different maps, last time I tried it. That was a while ago though, so that could have changed.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Thanks! I'll check both of those out.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.

YamataNoOrochi posted:

Sygic

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

polynominal-c posted:

I will try both, but it looks like the Simple Calendar widget only shows a single day (i.e. today).

I'm going for Pure Calendar widget now. Almost the same look as Agenda Widget (when using the 'transparent' skin) and it supports GTasks and birthdays/anniversaries too. Maybe not as configurable as AW, but good enough!

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

monster on a stick posted:

HERE Maps, though it doesn't have Japan for reasons.
I spent a week driving around Iceland a month ago and HERE Maps was indispensable. The directions were great and no data ever used.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I regret not taking more photospheres on vacation after I saw how cool they are in google cardboard. But they are really a pita to make!

Is there a better app that functions more similarly to apple's panorama? I'm looking for something similar where you wave your phone around and eventually it just says 'Done!' and spits out the pic.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Looks like the thread title may need updating soon, Google Play Music adding podcasts:
http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/10/podcasters-welcome-to-google-play-music.html

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I just want one of the keyboard replacements to offer "Don't Learn Any New Words Right Now" mode for drunk typing and shamebrowsing.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Red Warrior posted:

Looks like the thread title may need updating soon, Google Play Music adding podcasts:
http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/10/podcasters-welcome-to-google-play-music.html

Welp. Finally.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Red Warrior posted:

Great now my phone will start playing The Dollop at random intervals rather than some song I listened to 3 months ago.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I wonder when they'll fix the bug with Play Music where it likes to skip around in the track randomly when you first play it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

uPen posted:

Great now my phone will start playing The Dollop at random intervals rather than some song I listened to 3 months ago.

Sounds like an improvement to me.

*presses play*

"Clouueegh- Clu- Clau- ...Cloovehr"

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
They presented the podcast functionality as a radio station-like thing rather than having all your favorite podcasts right where you want them ala PocketCasts. Am I misreading the article or do they intend to fully replace whatever your podcast app may be? I'm so deep into Google's ecosystem that I'll gladly use it exclusively if its half as good as PocketCasts is.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

They literally asked podcasters to upload their podcasts, I am pretty sure you will be able to listen to your podcasts like pocket casts.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I think you underestimate Google's ability to Google something.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Oh I know, I used Listen after all :wrists:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ThermoPhysical posted:

I wonder when they'll fix the bug with Play Music where it likes to skip around in the track randomly when you first play it.

Day 1 subscriber to All Access on multiple devices and this is the very first I've heard of this.

That would be annoying as gently caress.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

Day 1 subscriber to All Access on multiple devices and this is the very first I've heard of this.

Fellow day 1 subscriber and I've never had that or the "starts playing randomly" bug happen to me. I've used it almost daily across six devices and multiple builds (stock and custom) without seeing those bugs. Not saying they don't exist, just that I guess I'm lucky.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

XIII posted:

Fellow day 1 subscriber and I've never had that or the "starts playing randomly" bug happen to me. I've used it almost daily across six devices and multiple builds (stock and custom) without seeing those bugs. Not saying they don't exist, just that I guess I'm lucky.

I never had it until recently and now my phone will randomly play songs from my wedding even if I haven't used play music in days.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
how the hell is tinder this loving garbage. like its surpassed the point of it being comically bad to the point where its bordering on unusable. im using a moto x like dayum this is not a performance stretch by any means

half the time when you open it it wont even start, you have to kill the app and open it again. typing your bio? gotta wait 5-10 seconds for the cursor to update. might or might not register all of your keystrokes because the keyboard is frozen (because it's not the android keyboard its an app specific tinder keyboard :roflolmao:)

i remember eclair. i remember single core sub-ghz processors. i remember when the idea of games on android was laughable - not because there weren't any on the app store but because lol you expect an android to play games?

i loving pine for the performance of those days when using tinder. the half second touch delay is buttery smooth compared to this garbage

something something i am not going to get laid on tinder something something mlyp etc

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 29, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

It really is, it's made it unusable for me. For example, I'll play Stairway to Heaven and it'll play from 0:00 then skip to say 1:20 and then drop down to 0:00 again but still play from 1:20.

It's loving bizarre...

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Going back to f#a#'s post, for a file explorer I really like Cabinet. It says beta but it seems pretty feature complete to me. Nice material design and pretty straightforward.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Overminty posted:

Going back to f#a#'s post, for a file explorer I really like Cabinet. It says beta but it seems pretty feature complete to me. Nice material design and pretty straightforward.

I'd switch to this immediately if it had smb support like root explorer

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

nigga crab pollock posted:

how the hell is tinder this loving garbage. like its surpassed the point of it being comically bad to the point where its bordering on unusable. im using a moto x like dayum this is not a performance stretch by any means

half the time when you open it it wont even start, you have to kill the app and open it again. typing your bio? gotta wait 5-10 seconds for the cursor to update. might or might not register all of your keystrokes because the keyboard is frozen (because it's not the android keyboard its an app specific tinder keyboard :roflolmao:)

i remember eclair. i remember single core sub-ghz processors. i remember when the idea of games on android was laughable - not because there weren't any on the app store but because lol you expect an android to play games?

i loving pine for the performance of those days when using tinder. the half second touch delay is buttery smooth compared to this garbage

something something i am not going to get laid on tinder something something mlyp etc

Works fine for me, but I am annoyed that Android users can't put returns in their bio, while iPhone users can.

Edit: welp, it looks like this is no longer the case. Time to start chapter two of my bio novel

XIII fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 29, 2015

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

XIII posted:

Yeah, it was posted as though it's well known and pervasive. Like I said, I'm sure it's annoying to a staggering degree for those it happens to.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

XIII posted:

Works fine for me, but I am annoyed that Android users can't put returns in their bio, while iPhone users can.

This is fixed! Sometime in the past 2 updates finally.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Evil Vin posted:

I asked one of the guys from movie mastery about it in another thread and he said

Something seems to have been fixed, as of today the former PROTOCOL_ERROR podcasts now download correctly. Yay.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

YamataNoOrochi posted:

I'm going to be doing some international travelling over the holidays and I'm trying to find a map/navigation app

I'm going to be in Taiwan, Thailand and Japan

Copilot GPS had been my goto paid maps app for years, but that only has Thailand and Taiwan.

OsmAnd+ jumps out at me next due to its use of OpenStreetMap Data, that seems pretty good for Japan. Backcountry Navigator can also use it if you don't mind actually reading a map the old fashioned way.

Finally, if a tourist, consider buying your travel books as ebooks (lighter anyway) and then using the maps within them as your walking map.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I need to block some folks from calling me and they have my actual cell number, not my voice number that makes blocking easy.

Is there a go to app for this sort of thing?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jewce posted:

I need to block some folks from calling me and they have my actual cell number, not my voice number that makes blocking easy.

Is there a go to app for this sort of thing?

If they're bill collectors calling for you, the app for that sort of thing is probably going to be Credit Karma, followed by your bank's mobile app if they offer billpay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Create a contact that sends them directly to voicemail?

• Locked thread