Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Rorschach as Speaker of the House seems apt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

greatn posted:

Well then I've got good news for Koch, Carson just took the lead in a new national poll.

I don't think Trump can just bully him down. Carson has had every opportunity to be mocked into dirt, but he continues to rise.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

RevKrule posted:

Speaking of Black Lives Matter:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-appears-show-cop-body-slamming-student-s-c-classroom-n451896

The video is in the link. Expect to hear "we didn't hear all the poo poo she said to the officer before she was torn violently from her desk like a rag doll."

So, uh, Slate has a bit more on this...

quote:

Around 10:30 a.m., the girl who had the confrontation with the officer was working on her computer, and had her phone out, Robinson said. He said the teacher asked her for her phone, but she said no. An administrator was then called to the room, and Robinson said he pleaded with the girl to get out of her seat, but she didn't.

"She really hadn't done anything wrong," Robinson said. "She said that she had took her phone out, but it was only for a quick second."

"He asked her again, 'will you move, will you move.' She said 'no I have not done anything wrong.' Then he said, 'I'm going to treat you fairly.' And she said 'I don't even know who you are.' And that is where it started right there."

Offense: Resisting arrest
Punishment: Piledriver

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mo_Steel posted:

He would get along with the HFC and nobody else.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Pat Leahy just cast his 15,000th vote in the Senate :toot:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ComradeCosmobot posted:

:stare: Wow. Serve and Protect.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Between this and the officer not being charged for shooting Zachary Hammond, I'm nearly ready to accept that overwhelming, disproportionate force is just the cornerstone of the new US police state.

Unreal.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Gravel Gravy posted:

So hypocrisy is what we are settling on here?

There's nothing hypocritical about recognizing that it's bad optics, but ultimately political theater.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Luigi Thirty posted:

I graduated in 2008. We had the "this is your penis and yes it's normal to have one" class in 5th grade but the "how is babby formed" part wasn't handled until middle school and it replaced gym class for a month. This was in suburban Tampa Bay.

Weird. I grew up in Pasco and we were learning the basics of how babies were made way back in 5th grade (including footage of a birth, a novel sight at the time), the various names and bits and pieces and basic contraception methods (e.g. how condoms and diaphragms work, how the pill works) in middle school, and all the rest in HS. Sure there was "the only 100% effective method is abstinence) but it was presented as a more or less equal-time kind of thing along with contraceptives rather than some kind of purity pursuit. But then again statewide standards were definitely not a thing outside of the Florida Writes/FCAT stuff. I don't know how much has changed since then, I've long since moved out of the state, and I don't really plan on returning :v:

Nonsense posted:

I don't think Trump can just bully him down. Carson has had every opportunity to be mocked into dirt, but he continues to rise.

I wonder if there's some interplay between Carson's soft-spoken persona, Trump's boisterous shitheelery, and the disparate Fav/Unfav numbers of both causing Carson to gain support as Trump turns up the volume and increases his attacks. They aren't that different when it comes to a lot of party planks like xenophobia and jingiosm (but vastly different in others like taxes and healthcare) so unless there's some difference in importance of those things to the base (al-Qaeda in Arabic) it seems like a difference in personality/messaging.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 27, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Weird. I grew up in Pasco and we were learning the basics of how babies were made way back in 5th grade (including footage of a birth, a novel sight at the time), the various names and bits and pieces and basic contraception methods (e.g. how condoms and diaphragms work, how the pill works) in middle school, and all the rest in HS. Sure there was "the only 100% effective method is abstinence) but it was presented as a more or less equal-time kind of thing along with contraceptives rather than some kind of purity pursuit. But then again statewide standards were definitely not a thing outside of the Florida Writes/FCAT stuff. I don't know how much has changed since then, I've long since moved out of the state, and I don't really plan on returning :v:

I got sex ed in Tennessee, which involved multiple pictures of STD infections and 'Abstinence Is The Only Effective Method Of Birth Control'

Just like not having a crash is 100% effective until you actually have a crash.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FAUXTON posted:

We didn't have anything in high school beyond a life sciences class where a football coach taught us CPR and we watched Lifetime movies about eating disorders because we had a teen pregnancy problem and the school board decided teaching high schoolers about sex was the cause.

LeeMajors posted:

Between this and the officer not being charged for shooting Zachary Hammond, I'm nearly ready to accept that overwhelming, disproportionate force is just the cornerstone of the new US police state.

Unreal.

It's only a police state if you fail the paper bag test.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's only a police state if you fail the paper bag test.

You'd better tell Zachary Hammond that.

No denying that there is a disproportionate race problem as well--but police are institutionally insulated from the consequences of royally loving up your life.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Ryan's likely to be speaker for probably the next 10+ years actually.

I disagree, remember this will be a non incumbent Presidential election season. Whether it's Hillary or Bernie, you're going to see higher turnout especially among Democratic voters and there is a pretty good chance the Dems could sweep the house. With the weak lineup of Republican candidates, you're not going to have quite the same energy (even if there's the "Vote against that drat woman/Libby Lib!" reaction that is doubtful to get a rise out of the base).

Of course, the Dems holding onto the House in 2018 may be difficult but who knows :shrug:

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Mo_Steel posted:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

LeeMajors posted:

Unreal.

New?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Milk Malk posted:

Jesus christ that's stupid. The next thing you know we'll have a black candidate playing the race card in response to "racist" characterizations. What a loving farce.

You're right, Bernie Sanders is definitely telling Hillary to know her place and not expressing his opinion that it takes more than words, no matter how loudly said (somewhat ironic).

I'm upset by it because it's such a stupid use of that particular political tack, there will be plenty of opportunity to call out sexism on the campaign trail, and crying wolf during the DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY is probably not the best place to wear that out. It's not like she can endlessly call out every instance of sexism and have it actually resonate.

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 27, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So someone's been illegally smuggling artifacts from war torn Iraq, probably funding ISIS or any of the other myriad terrorist groups robbing those museums for fun and profit. Is it Blackwater? Maybe Dick Cheney? George Soros?

Nah, just fuckin Hobby Lobby:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/26/exclusive-feds-investigate-hobby-lobby-boss-for-illicit-artifacts.html

quote:

When Summers spoke with us, he made it sound as if the ongoing federal investigation was simply the result of a logistical problem. “There was a shipment and it had improper paperwork—incomplete paperwork that was attached to it.” That innocuous phrase—“incomplete paperwork”—makes it sound as if some forms were simply missing a date or a signature. That is rarely the case with questionably-acquired ancient artifacts—and were the problem merely logistical, the chances are slim that it would take four years to resolve.

Summers suggested that the tablets were merely “held up in customs,” as if this was merely a case of bureaucratic delays. “Sometimes this stuff just sits, and nobody does anything with it.” But an individual close to the investigation told us that investigators have accumulated hundreds of hours of interviews, which doesn’t sound like bureaucratic delay—and which also suggests that there is more at stake here than merely a logistical oversight.

Steve Green, the CEO of Hobby Lobby, admitted that among his family’s extensive collection they might have some illegally-acquired antiquities, though he denied having ever knowingly done anything wrong. “Is it possible that we have some illicit [artifacts]? That’s possible,” he told us for a story slated to appear in a forthcoming issue of The Atlantic. It seems unlikely that this case, however, is one of simply misunderstanding the relevant laws. The paperwork misidentifying the antiquities as “tile samples” certainly suggests otherwise.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Most people don't know who Lessig is, but among those that do, he's not popular:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

greatn posted:

Well then I've got good news for Koch, Carson just took the lead in a new national poll.

Republicans are insane.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Birth Control Bad!

Theft? That ain't covered in the Bible.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rynn posted:

I disagree, remember this will be a non incumbent Presidential election season. Whether it's Hillary or Bernie, you're going to see higher turnout especially among Democratic voters and there is a pretty good chance the Dems could sweep the house. With the weak lineup of Republican candidates, you're not going to have quite the same energy (even if there's the "Vote against that drat woman/Libby Lib!" reaction that is doubtful to get a rise out of the base).

Of course, the Dems holding onto the House in 2018 may be difficult but who knows :shrug:

The chances of the D's winning the house are pretty much zilch unless the GOP nominates like Ted Cruz and loses 42 states...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Birth Control Bad!

Theft? That ain't covered in the Bible.

Look I don't KNOW if it was stolen. I mean some of it probably was, but that's not my fault if I buy stuff like that. It's not like there's an omniscient deity I believe in that can look in my heart and see if I truly did something knowingly or anything.

Is there a single one of these evangelical assholes pushing their beliefs on others that isn't a massive hypocrite?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Most people don't know who Lessig is, but among those that do, he's not popular:

Have Hillary's favorables among Democrats always been that high, or is that the result of the Benghazi hearing?

If the latter, w2g GOP :bravo:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

zoux posted:

New Monmouth polling has Hillary beating Bernie 65 to 24 in the Iowa caucus. Other polls have shown Bernie as close as 3 points in the state, but that was before Biden/Benghazi hearing.

That poll is using a model of those who have voted in the last two state primaries, not a presidential primary. Also way understates youth.

39% 65 and over
7% 18-34

No way in hell will the youth vote turnout be that low, and they're overwhelmingly voting for sanders

Hillary is likely leading, but it's way closer than that

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Rynn posted:

No. The only way Democrats take the House is if Hillary (or Bernie) wins by like 10+ points or something and they get a few lucky breaks.

Peel posted:

I have no idea why [Paul Ryan] took the [Speaker] job, does someone have something on him?

A ton of people he liked and respected begged him too. Plus I imagine on some level he believes in the mission of the Republican Party, and it's hard to say no when people say you're the only hope to save an institution you love. Not to mention that "refused to answer the call to save his Party" is a black mark on the resume as well. Like imagine if stuff fell to poo poo with the HFC and everyone's sitting around going "Paul Ryan could have fixed this if he'd just taken the Speaker job instead of wussing out".

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Jackson Taus posted:

No. The only way Democrats take the House is if Hillary (or Bernie) wins by like 10+ points or something and they get a few lucky breaks.

You're almost certainly right, but goddamn, the GOP's been so loving bonkers lately that I have trouble knowing what could happen and what couldn't anymore. The US could be invaded by martians tomorrow and I'd find it plausible at this point.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Lord Hydronium posted:

Have Hillary's favorables among Democrats always been that high, or is that the result of the Benghazi hearing?

If the latter, w2g GOP :bravo:

They've varied a little but she's always been incredibly popular with Democrats. Typically 75-85% favorable in Iowa depending on the poll, so she's seeing some bump from the debate and/or hearing but it's not a huge sea change or out of her historical norm.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

LeeMajors posted:

You'd better tell Zachary Hammond that.

No denying that there is a disproportionate race problem as well--but police are institutionally insulated from the consequences of royally loving up your life.

white people being murdered by the police is the police doing a good job actually so im not seeing the problem here

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

theblackw0lf posted:

That poll is using a model of those who have voted in the last two state primaries, not a presidential primary. Also way understates youth.

39% 65 and over
7% 18-34

No way in hell will the youth vote turnout be that low, and they're overwhelmingly voting for sanders

Hillary is likely leading, but it's way closer than that

That's low, you're right. However it's probably not insanely stilted like you'd think.

2008: 13% (18-29)
2012: 4% (18-29)

Bernie is not Obama, and Obama is not Bush, youth turnout will probably come in at somewhere between that 4-13% figure with the 18-34 probably not much exceeding that if I had to guess.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
i need some more hot takes on what sex ed was like in your neck of the woods

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

mcmagic posted:

He has no jumping off point from Speaker to President and the GOP isn't losing the house any time soon. He's going to be the most powerful republican in the country for as long as he wants to be.

A Republican Speaker of the House is most definitely not the most powerful Republican in the country right now, or likely for the next few years, regardless of what the Presidential Order of Succession says.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Riptor posted:

Can we first discuss whether or not the average policeman is more racist than Bernie Sanders?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Riptor posted:

It was in the woods.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Riptor posted:

Sex Ed was kind of a weird old dude not sure where the nickname came from but he did a lot of volunteer work with kids' sports teams.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

zoux posted:

It was in the woods.

It's like a spirit quest

You wander into the woods, and you'll either find a nudie mag or a hobo but either way you learn quite a bit about sex

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
The thing with the HFC reminds me a bit of Nixon's madman theory, where one of his techniques in negotiating with the Soviets was convincing them that he was a complete anti-Communist maniac who was barely being restrained by his advisers from nuking everyone, so the Soviets had better come to the table

Except the HFC are doing a pretty goddamn good job of convincing me they are actually madmen

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Rygar201 posted:

A Republican Speaker of the House is most definitely not the most powerful Republican in the country right now, or likely for the next few years, regardless of what the Presidential Order of Succession says.

Yeah the entire freedom caucus at this point has a platform of "make the house speaker an ineffective canary so we can do whatever the hell we want"

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Harvard Professor* calls Democratic candidate Larry Lessig's campaign promise to resign immediately after passing amendment against Citizens United ruling "Completely stupid."

*Harvard Professor Larry Lessig

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grover Norquist remains the most powerful Republican in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I had an abstinence only high school, and half the girls in my senior year were visibly pregnant. The other half were invisibly pregnant. One of the guys I sat with during lunch was a divorced father who dressed like the Fonz.

• Locked thread