Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Coolguye posted:

Even when you're gud it's hard to argue that an orange Witch Hunter rapier does almost as much damage per strike as a white WH Zweihander. It is also technically not necessary to use ANY weapons in Dark Souls, but people do because fist runs are pure suffering in practice due to the number of times you have to hit an enemy.

On Cataclysm, a white WH Zwei has to hit a clan rat 4 times to kill him. It's the same concept.

I mean I'm all for gitting gud, but it is erroneous to imply that a team can parachute in to Cataclysm with all whites and be only inconvenienced if they've gotten gud. They will be much, much more fragile and the game will be FAR less tolerant to mistakes. Mistakes that probably will happen with the copious clipping and spawning bugs we've been talking about for the last 5 pages.

Don't get me wrong, running a Cataclysm run in all whites is a lesson in pain and misery. I was more referring to it in the sense that it isn't one of those games like Destiny or Wow or whatever that will literally lock you out of an encounter if your gear score doesn't match what they want, because gear is almost everything in those games. It's great to have full oranges in VT, but you have to know how to use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Also, based on some loot discussions here, I think it is hilarious that I got blue loot on my first time playing the game, and a trinket not long thereafter.

(Everything else has been white, not even green, gently caress you RNG.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
High Elf White Lion with long spear or great axe

Dark Elf Corsair with cutlasses and machine crossbow

Ork with Big Choppa or Little Choppa,, wide AOE on all weapons because he's a loving Orc

Lizardman with poison blowpipe and spiked club

Ogre with hands, cannot heal with medical supplies but eats rats to heal

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I really just want a DLC character with some polearms. Though I guess since they're doing new weapon types for existing characters first, it's probably likely Kruber will get a halberd. (correct me if wrong but the Empire is big on halberds, right?)

Also an Orc mercenary would be fantastic but not possible due to there already being a dwarf in the party.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Mace and Shield on the dwarf is OP. Swing combo is 2 horizontal swipes followed by a vertical. Literally tosses rats aside. Staggers just about all specials (except the Rogre obviously). I got a blue one with extra stamina and and chance to regain ammo when I kill something. So I can now headshot specials from across the map, and kill trash to get all that ammo back.

drat it feels good to be a gangsta Dwarf

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 27, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dezztroy posted:

Also an Orc mercenary would be fantastic but not possible due to there already being a dwarf in the party.

It's exactly as possible as having a dark elf and high elf in the same party, because absolutely everyone who isn't Chaos or Skaven is fighting the Chaos gods. Black orcs and dwarves are both intelligent enough to team up and fight a bigger threat.

It also needs to happen so we can have a party made up of a high elf, dark elf, dwarf and black orc and have every single exchange of dialogue be pure, venomous, scornful snark.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's exactly as possible as having a dark elf and high elf in the same party, because absolutely everyone who isn't Chaos or Skaven is fighting the Chaos gods. Black orcs and dwarves are both intelligent enough to team up and fight a bigger threat.

It also needs to happen so we can have a party made up of a high elf, dark elf, dwarf and black orc and have every single exchange of dialogue be pure, venomous, scornful snark.

The only canon since is the orc and dwarf fist bumping before going to curb stomp some ratmen together.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ulvirich posted:

That was a most glorious fat fingered :hurr: I've ever seen. The way the stormvermin just cartwheeled and exited stage right, while all of the clanrats surrounding him pratfalled, made me with I had fraps running at the time.

Some good rat chopping last night, and hearing the witch hunter complain endlessly in Smuggler's Run was a treat.

Yeah, I really wish you had been recording too. Honestly the best part was trying to convince y'all that it really was a golden fumble because it was so perfect. As y'all commented on how easy it was I was just glad I hadn't looked down any further to swipe at the rat slaves and bombed us all.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, this is the one point in the setting where you can justify pairings that would normally murder each other without thinking. I'd imagine high elf and Bret characters are the most likely first inclusions though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
We also need a stylish vampire count whose ranged weapon is summoning skeletons.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
On the early map where you have to blow up a giant door to go through a plaza (I think Horn of Magnus?) there is a spot between a lamp post and a couple of barrels that is perfectly brightwizard shaped and I got stuck there.

The worst part was I only had time for one game so instead of finding a goon group I went straight into matchmaking. The elf would not stop reviving me, all the while im blowing myself up and yelling at her over chat to leave me be, let me die and respawn :negative:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Didn't the High and Dark Elves end up uniting during the End Times anyways? Maybe later in the timeline.
Hmm, does that make them High Dark Elves? Dark High Elves? Hi-Dark Elves? Grey Elves? (The answer is Nazi Elves).

On adding characters/classes: They could make a mint basically recreating Magicka with all the different schools of magic wizards/sorceress/witches they could bring out.

In other news, Steamspy pegs the game at 165 000 buyers, give or take (might be at 180 000 now). The rise have slowed down a little, but it's around 10-15k a day. Seems like they made the bulk of their sales on the pre-order open-beta week.
Probably gonna hit 200 000 steam sales in a couple of days, maybe 300k by the end of november? Might get another uptick for Christmas.

400k by years end? Too optimistic?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

moths posted:

Bret knight could very possibly carry no ranged and two melee options. I don't think they've ever had ranged weapons since they're viewed as "unchivalrous."

Also expect the haughty elf with an outrageous French accent.

Bret knight should just get a lance. He may not have a horse anymore (Skaven ate it), but by god he's gonna ride down some filthy ratmen! Give at a running charge attack that does more damage and multihit he longer his run-up was before the first impact and allows him to shishkebab a string of rats on his lance.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Apparently the one true and righteous king, all hail Malekith, united and rules all elves. Long live Malekith.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I can't really tell, does Chivalry-style windmilling with a 2-hander work here? It seems like it does but that just might be the normal range of the sword

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I can't really tell, does Chivalry-style windmilling with a 2-hander work here? It seems like it does but that just might be the normal range of the sword

Ish? A Zweihander does a good job of covering the like...90 degree arc in front of you, but God help you if there's a rat that's not in that arc!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Depends on the Two hander. For a Sword yes, your basic attack will happily windmill anything ahead of you. For a Two Handed Mace you need to charge attack and its best used dancing in and out of rat range to deliver mighty :fuckoff: strokes.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dezztroy posted:

I really just want a DLC character with some polearms. Though I guess since they're doing new weapon types for existing characters first, it's probably likely Kruber will get a halberd. (correct me if wrong but the Empire is big on halberds, right?)

If that's the case, then yeah, I could definitely see the elf get a spear and the sergeant a short spear and shield or poleaxe/halberd. Most of the dwarf weaponry is represented iirc so I'm not sure what he'd get, throwing axes or a flamethrower maybe? The bright wizard could get a melee staff with some sort of short ranged AoE as a secondary attack. The witch hunter I'm completely clueless on because I'm not real sure how they operate in the lore. Repeater crossbow? Rapier and buckler or dual rapier?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

DeathSandwich posted:

If that's the case, then yeah, I could definitely see the elf get a spear and the sergeant a short spear and shield or poleaxe/halberd. Most of the dwarf weaponry is represented iirc so I'm not sure what he'd get, throwing axes or a flamethrower maybe? The bright wizard could get a melee staff with some sort of short ranged AoE as a secondary attack. The witch hunter I'm completely clueless on because I'm not real sure how they operate in the lore. Repeater crossbow? Rapier and buckler or dual rapier?

Guns, lots of guns.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
A burning torch for Flame Damage. Maybe with a stake in the other hand for impaling things that won't stay dead.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alternatively, they could add another state troop character who uses pike, shortspear and shield, and halberd, plus bows and crossbows, if they wanted to get all the 'canon' state troop armaments in and didn't want to give them all to Kruber.

Polearm user in general is my number 1 desire for a DLC. A guy or gal actually intended to use reach weapons in melee would be an interesting add on.

If they do add a vampire someday I want a young murderhobo of a Blood Dragon. Dressed in a ragged old coat and poorly equipped and being all 'What, do you think plate armor grows on trees? My profession is literally scurrying around killing bandits and beastmen and now rats at random, how well do you think that pays?'

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Finally, a blue trinket! I bet it's got a really useful trait!

Oh.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Alternatively, they could add another state troop character who uses pike, shortspear and shield, and halberd, plus bows and crossbows, if they wanted to get all the 'canon' state troop armaments in and didn't want to give them all to Kruber.

Polearm user in general is my number 1 desire for a DLC. A guy or gal actually intended to use reach weapons in melee would be an interesting add on.

I think I'd rather they added more skins and weapons to the existing guys, instead of adding too many more characters. The voice work and writing so far has been pretty good, so I don't want them ruining that by spamming poorly thought out characters just for the sake of variety. Any new characters added should maintain a similar level of writing & voice work.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to see a halberd for Kruber since that is one of the most iconic weapons of the Empire. There's nothing else like that in the current weapon pool.

Fans posted:

A burning torch for Flame Damage. Maybe with a stake in the other hand for impaling things that won't stay dead.
"Brought my vampire hunting gear to a skaven fight. It'll have to do."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A Bret peasant or squire would be a good fit for pole-arms, torch, dagger, long bow, crossbow, and maybe some kind of buffing mechanic for allies?

E: If we do get a vampire, I'd love some no-name vampire claiming to be an obscure von Carstein the way regular people brag about being distantly related to someone famous.

moths fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 27, 2015

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Night10194 posted:

I like the Repeater a lot because it feels like having a ridiculous early-modern Garand.

Yeah, now that you say it I feel the Repeater to be just a reskinned Garand from CoD2, down to the "ping" sound when you empty a clip. A Garand that can be reloaded halfway through and that can be fast fired as an assault rifle :black101:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Fishstick posted:

Finally, a blue trinket! I bet it's got a really useful trait!

Oh.

:rip:

but not for long

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skandranon posted:

I think I'd rather they added more skins and weapons to the existing guys, instead of adding too many more characters. The voice work and writing so far has been pretty good, so I don't want them ruining that by spamming poorly thought out characters just for the sake of variety. Any new characters added should maintain a similar level of writing & voice work.

This is also a true and good concern. Especially as they'll have to bring in everyone to react to the new guy or gal, too.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Excellent post from the Total War: Warhammer thread explaining the Skaven army. Hopefully we'll see some more enemies from there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3715334&perpage=40&pagenumber=143#post451969162

heffsay
Mar 5, 2013
Got my first exotic trinket last night, gently caress yeah! Let's see what it does.

Oh.

I share speed/strength potions with the party.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

heffsay posted:

Got my first exotic trinket last night, gently caress yeah! Let's see what it does.

Oh.

Like, 100% chance? That's pretty loving good then.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

heffsay posted:

Oh.

That's not so terrible. Pop a strength potion right before an ogre and it'll die pretty drat fast if everyone is targeting it.

This game is a bit of a crapshoot when pubbing. Last night I got joined by a dwarf who refused to communicate at all and a witch hunter who ran ahead of the group, went AFK in the middle of the run and was packmastered, then complained that everyone sucked and I "wasn't ready for hard mode yet" when a rat ogre spawned directly on top of me as I was carrying a grain sack. They also managed to imply the host's (my) connection sucked, which I have never received any complaints about before.

On the other hand, the very next round was a team that stuck together, used voice comms, congratulated good performance, and proceeded to win a very narrow and hard-fought Gardens of Morr despite getting routinely shafted by the RNG and looking like we could lose at any moment.

I guess what I'm getting at is, while horrible pubbies definitely exist, credit where it's due. I've had some really fun ones too.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Drythe posted:

IIRC, the duration is shortened. Enough to quaff and throw bombs, though :supaburn:

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Backhand posted:

That's not so terrible. Pop a strength potion right before an ogre and it'll die pretty drat fast if everyone is targeting it.

This game is a bit of a crapshoot when pubbing. Last night I got joined by a dwarf who refused to communicate at all and a witch hunter who ran ahead of the group, went AFK in the middle of the run and was packmastered, then complained that everyone sucked and I "wasn't ready for hard mode yet" when a rat ogre spawned directly on top of me as I was carrying a grain sack. They also managed to imply the host's (my) connection sucked, which I have never received any complaints about before.

On the other hand, the very next round was a team that stuck together, used voice comms, congratulated good performance, and proceeded to win a very narrow and hard-fought Gardens of Morr despite getting routinely shafted by the RNG and looking like we could lose at any moment.

I guess what I'm getting at is, while horrible pubbies definitely exist, credit where it's due. I've had some really fun ones too.

Sadly, this is my experience with goons too. But generally Goons talk at least.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

moths posted:

A Bret peasant or squire would be a good fit for pole-arms, torch, dagger, long bow, crossbow, and maybe some kind of buffing mechanic for allies?

If I remember correctly, they scrapped both a Rat-Catcher and a Bret Peasant character during development cause they were not epic enough. I guess the idea is that they want something that can immediately catch the eye for non-WHFB fans.

heffsay
Mar 5, 2013

Drythe posted:

I only ran one more last night after I got it, and my group noticed it when I used a speed potion for the barrel part of Horn. If it is 100%, it is loving amazing. Quad-strength potion bombs on a ROgre would be a sight to see.

This is the "tier3" version of this trinket type, so has anyone seen the green/blue versions? Might be able to assume the percent chance when comparing it to those two.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
random loot drop systems are bullshit and also lame and it's really the thing about the game i like the least :shrug:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

heffsay posted:

I only ran one more last night after I got it, and my group noticed it when I used a speed potion for the barrel part of Horn. If it is 100%, it is loving amazing. Quad-strength potion bombs on a ROgre would be a sight to see.

This is the "tier3" version of this trinket type, so has anyone seen the green/blue versions? Might be able to assume the percent chance when comparing it to those two.

I think they are all 100%, the main difference in rarity being what penalty to duration you suffer.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

heffsay posted:

AFAIK it's always 100% chance, but the duration is decreased by 66% (green) or 33% (blue). So maybe the orange one is full duration?

Also the green version text is "bugged" as it does not report any decreased duration, while the blue one reports the 33% reduction as normal. The green one is empirically believed to be 66% reduction, since it reduces the duration more than the blue one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

That Italian Guy posted:

If I remember correctly, they scrapped both a Rat-Catcher and a Bret Peasant character during development cause they were not epic enough. I guess the idea is that they want something that can immediately catch the eye for non-WHFB fans.

Smelly hunchback with a Terrier not epic enough? I'll fight you IRL.

Have I mentioned that I really like that there is no scantly dressed bimbo or He-Man knockoff in the game?

• Locked thread