Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ErikTheRed posted:

It looks like this is out of stock everywhere right now. I guess I'll wait it out.

Motorola.com says they're shipping the end of November. I'd suggest putting in an order now and maybe you'll get lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Posted this on a different forum, didn't get much help.

I'm looking for a first smartphone for my wife. She is coming off of an old Nokia candybar. She has maybe poked at my android phone a couple times, so we're dealing with someone who has never really used a smartphone before.

Constraints:

- Small phone. The last thing she wants is a giant thing that won't fit in her handbag. The iPhone 5 is about the right size for her, but she's opposed to Apple devices in general. I run a Nexus 5 myself and smaller than my phone is a hard requirement.
- As close to stock Android as possible. She isn't a tinkerer and will probably take whatever comes to her phone OTA if there are any updates. She likely won't care about having the latest and greatest Android image, but she doesn't want bloatware either.
- Decent camera. The 2015 Moto E on paper looked like the perfect phone for her...except the camera doesn't have a flash and the quality of it isn't all that great. She may still take a Moto E but it definitely would not be ideal, and it being her first smartphone I want her to have a good experience.
- Her non-camera needs are pretty basic. Google maps, facebook, spotify, and basic web browsing at best (no ridiculous 3d games or anything), so we don't need a crazy powerful phone.
- Decent battery life such that she isn't perma-tethered to a charger. Think once-a-day charging should be fine.
- Not opposed to a used or refurbished phone.
- LTE in Chicago. Must support T-Mobile.
- Soft price limit of $200 unlocked (we will occasionally be using this phone overseas). Willing to stretch if it gets the right phone.

I had a recommendation for the Sony z3 Compact which looks great but that's quite a bit over my price target. Of course, if that's the right phone, that's the right phone, and I may just suck it up and buy it anyway (though she'll certainly feel guilty about the amount).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Z3C is probably the closest to what you want that exists.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
If not for the (kinda) mediocre camera, the 2015 moto e is honestly a pretty decent phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

The Z3C is probably the closest to what you want that exists.

Looks like its a little over $300 on swappa, so probably possible to get a little lower on eBay or somewhere. But yeah, that is the only reasonable option.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

Endless Mike posted:

Motorola.com says they're shipping the end of November. I'd suggest putting in an order now and maybe you'll get lucky.

Well, I tried but it won't actually let me complete the order on their site. I guess I'll try again later.

Edit: it's back in stock on Amazon

ErikTheRed fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 9, 2015

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

crazyfish posted:

Posted this on a different forum, didn't get much help.

I'm looking for a first smartphone for my wife. She is coming off of an old Nokia candybar. She has maybe poked at my android phone a couple times, so we're dealing with someone who has never really used a smartphone before.

Constraints:

- Small phone. The last thing she wants is a giant thing that won't fit in her handbag. The iPhone 5 is about the right size for her, but she's opposed to Apple devices in general. I run a Nexus 5 myself and smaller than my phone is a hard requirement.
- As close to stock Android as possible. She isn't a tinkerer and will probably take whatever comes to her phone OTA if there are any updates. She likely won't care about having the latest and greatest Android image, but she doesn't want bloatware either.
- Decent camera. The 2015 Moto E on paper looked like the perfect phone for her...except the camera doesn't have a flash and the quality of it isn't all that great. She may still take a Moto E but it definitely would not be ideal, and it being her first smartphone I want her to have a good experience.
- Her non-camera needs are pretty basic. Google maps, facebook, spotify, and basic web browsing at best (no ridiculous 3d games or anything), so we don't need a crazy powerful phone.
- Decent battery life such that she isn't perma-tethered to a charger. Think once-a-day charging should be fine.
- Not opposed to a used or refurbished phone.
- LTE in Chicago. Must support T-Mobile.
- Soft price limit of $200 unlocked (we will occasionally be using this phone overseas). Willing to stretch if it gets the right phone.

I had a recommendation for the Sony z3 Compact which looks great but that's quite a bit over my price target. Of course, if that's the right phone, that's the right phone, and I may just suck it up and buy it anyway (though she'll certainly feel guilty about the amount).

The Alcatel Idol 3 4.7 fits everything you need. The camera is actually pretty good and so is the front facing one. Battery life lasts all day easy, it's super small, has an excellent screen, the dual front facing speakers are the best I've heard on a phone yet, and it's $179 on Amazon

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

The Alcatel Idol 3 4.7 fits everything you need. The camera is actually pretty good and so is the front facing one. Battery life lasts all day easy, it's super small, has an excellent screen, the dual front facing speakers are the best I've heard on a phone yet, and it's $179 on Amazon

I'm gonna back this up. A friend of mine got an Idol 3 5.5", and it blew my mind with what a great phone it is. Very close to stock android also.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Forgot to come back to this thread afterwards, but I showed my wife the Idol 3 4.7 and it looks like that's what we'll be picking up. Thanks for bringing my attention to a phone that wasn't even on my radar!

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
Just wanted to come back and say the 2015 Moto G w/ 2GB RAM is an awesome little phone. The extra gig of ram makes a huge difference over the 2014 model my wife had before.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

ErikTheRed posted:

Just wanted to come back and say the 2015 Moto G w/ 2GB RAM is an awesome little phone. The extra gig of ram makes a huge difference over the 2014 model my wife had before.

Bought one for my wife. I'm really impressed with how it performs.
She is made up with it, particularly the battery life and camera - coming from my old Nexus 4!

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
I'm probably switching my plan tomorrow (Wind, Toronto) and need a new phone after 5 years with the Galaxy S2. I have my choice down to either the Galaxy S6 or LG G4, any reason why I should choose the latter other than the sd-slot and removable battery (want to know if there are other factors I should consider)?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I preordered an unlocked HTC One A9 to replace my aging One M7 today. $424 after tax for nexus paced updates and more than adequate specs, I couldn't say no.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Well my refurbed Nexus 4 is finally about to take its last poo poo. My carrier just gave me $50 towards a new tab and does offer some seemily decent phones with no initial fee. The LG 3G looks real nice and I'll probably end up with it barring some glaring problems with it. Can any goons weigh in? I took a look at it at the store and it seemed a bit flimsy, but then again I'm coming from the single piece of solid glass that is the Nexus 4.

I was originally planning to wait for the Nexus 5X but there's probably no chance of it not having a $150+ cost with the tab,* assuming my network even carries it. I'll stick it out until the end of October to find out, regardless.

* E: Looking around it seems the 5X is actually fairly inexpensive, so I'm hoping Koodo does manage to get it.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 21, 2015

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
I am currently on Verizon piggybacking off my brothers More Everything plan and wanted to see if there was a better deal out there.

Currently paying $125 in total for 2 phones through the Edge program. Droid Maxx and iPhone 5S with 2GB of data that my wife and I share. She wants to get the new iPhone and I want get some new Android and if we can get more data for similar costs that would be pretty ballin.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hitachi posted:

I am currently on Verizon piggybacking off my brothers More Everything plan and wanted to see if there was a better deal out there.

Currently paying $125 in total for 2 phones through the Edge program. Droid Maxx and iPhone 5S with 2GB of data that my wife and I share. She wants to get the new iPhone and I want get some new Android and if we can get more data for similar costs that would be pretty ballin.

If you could post your actual plan breakdown in the Verizon thread I have no problem checking that to you. Don't post phone numbers; I just need to know your line costs.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai
What are your guys general thoughts on the ASUS Zenfone 2?

I'm looking to get something off contract soon to replace my aging 16 GB Nexus 4 (that I've had since it basically released). My budget is pretty tight right now, and it seems to tick all the boxes I want in my next phone.

Namely:

• Pretty decent specs (on par with the Snapdragon 808 or 810)
  • More than 2 GB of RAM
  • At least a FHD screen (will settle for HD if below 5")
  • Expandable storage (64 GB minimum if it doesn't)
  • NFC
  • Decent sized dev community

I know the original ROM sucks some serious rear end, and I know the power button on the top is just bad, but everything else seems like it's hard to beat for the price.

Any other recommendations if you don't like it?

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I got a Oneplus 2 and I'm looking for a provider and a plan

• Country/Provider: I live in Canada, Quebec

• Current contract status: No current contract

• Budget (phone/plan): Already have the phone, looking for a plan under 50$ a month

• Features I know I want: 2gb data but the more the better, unlimited texting, I don't talk much so voice is whatever

A Good Dog
Jan 19, 2007
bee
I finally have a stable job and am ready to get rid of my lovely Virgin Mobile and the terrible old phone I've been using.

I live in Chicago, so I know I have my pick of the providers. Really, I'm looking for a plan that's around or below $50 a month. Unlimited talk/text is not a must but would be nice, and I doubt I'll break 2gb of data (or maybe even 1gb, I don't plan on watching videos or streaming too much music on it).

For the phone, I don't want (or can afford) anything terribly fancy. Again, I won't be watching too many videos or playing games or whatever. It would be nice if it had a decent camera for pics/video, but I primarily want it to be sturdy enough to last awhile. I hope to spend $200 or so, preferably less and possibly a bit more if something grabs my eye.

Any recommendations?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A new Moto G 16 GB is $220 and well worth it. As for providers, probably Cricket would fit your needs best.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

What's the best camera at or under $350? My wife and I are upgrading from 2013 Moto Gs. I wanted a gignatic phone, so I picked up a Nexus 6 for $299. She wants a good camera, but feels like the N5X is too expensive, as 16GB isn't really usable so $430 is the real price of entry.

Camera uber alles, everything else only has to be competent. What's a good option?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Currently I have a Droid Mini and like it a lot. What's the best Android smartphone which could be a replacement for the Mini on a Verizon network? I don't want to buy a phone which is bigger than the Mini. Should I just buy a replacement Mini when it breaks, or is there something better?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Been using a Nexus 5 since it released, stilll awfully happy with it to be honest. I hate that the new N5x doesn't have a notification LED and wireless charging, so I think it's out-- what's the best Android smartphone out there? I prefer as little branding as possible, but I also like to use custom Roms so that may not be as much of an issue. Cost is no issue; my boss is retiring in December and will buy me the phone of my choosing before that happens :getin: AT&T

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

silence_kit posted:

Currently I have a Droid Mini and like it a lot. What's the best Android smartphone which could be a replacement for the Mini on a Verizon network? I don't want to buy a phone which is bigger than the Mini. Should I just buy a replacement Mini when it breaks, or is there something better?

Buy one of the new Nexus and keep a lower cost, no contract Verizon plan.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I'm in Canada on Virgin Mobile and the cheapest possible plan ($30/month, no data, month to month). Currently have an HTC Desire A8181 so anything is going to be infinitely better than what I have. I don't really know anything about phones, but I'm looking at the new Moto G for $250 or the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 (5.5 inch) for $350.

Moto G pros:
  • $100 cheaper
  • quality brand
  • better build quality

Idol 3 pros:
  • twice the RAM and internal storage
  • better processor
  • can handle up to 128 GB microSD: I've got a lot of music/podcasts so it might be useful

I don't care about cameras or speakers or anything.

The Idol 3 seems better but I'm a bit concerned spending an extra $100 on a second rate brand. Am I way off base on anything here? Missing any phones in that price bracket that might be better?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CloFan posted:

Been using a Nexus 5 since it released, stilll awfully happy with it to be honest. I hate that the new N5x doesn't have a notification LED and wireless charging, so I think it's out-- what's the best Android smartphone out there? I prefer as little branding as possible, but I also like to use custom Roms so that may not be as much of an issue. Cost is no issue; my boss is retiring in December and will buy me the phone of my choosing before that happens :getin: AT&T

The new Nexus 5X has a notification LED but it's the lack of Qi charging that prevents me from wanting one.

That being said nothing fits what you'd want. There is no option that is modifiable with Qi, notification LED, and a decent scene. The only one with Qi is the Samsung S6.

Chicken posted:

I'm in Canada on Virgin Mobile and the cheapest possible plan ($30/month, no data, month to month). Currently have an HTC Desire A8181 so anything is going to be infinitely better than what I have. I don't really know anything about phones, but I'm looking at the new Moto G for $250 or the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 (5.5 inch) for $350.

Moto G pros:
  • $100 cheaper
  • quality brand
  • better build quality

Idol 3 pros:
  • twice the RAM and internal storage
  • better processor
  • can handle up to 128 GB microSD: I've got a lot of music/podcasts so it might be useful

I don't care about cameras or speakers or anything.

The Idol 3 seems better but I'm a bit concerned spending an extra $100 on a second rate brand. Am I way off base on anything here? Missing any phones in that price bracket that might be better?

The Moto G will be able to handle whatever SD card you put in just fine and the 16GB version has 2GB of RAM, not 1GB. The key is which is likelier to get Marshmallow which makes the SD card useful instead of trash and I think for that it's pretty obvious that the Moto G 16/2 has the clear advantage.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 24, 2015

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

I'm waiting out a plan with Telstra (ew) which will end in a month, should I grab a nexus 6 (original model) for 580AUD now and get a SIM only plan once my plan's over? I'd probably be getting an LG G4 on contract and I'm wondering which phone would be better.

I guess battery life is my main concern, and stock android is a big draw for the n6. Also camera, where I know the G4 excels, but honestly anything is better than my purple M7 at the moment.

The 6p and the 5x are just too expensive for me at the moment.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

Buy one of the new Nexus and keep a lower cost, no contract Verizon plan.

The Nexus phones are too big. I'd prefer a smaller Android phone. Do I not have that many options?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

LastInLine posted:

The new Nexus 5X has a notification LED but it's the lack of Qi charging that prevents me from wanting one.

Ah, i didn't know the 5X had a notification LED. On launch day people were saying it didn't, and that was pretty much a deal breaker. I can live without Qi because of the usbc fast charging, but it still sucks I bought two pads that i use regularly that will be useless now. Thanks for the tips

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

silence_kit posted:

The Nexus phones are too big. I'd prefer a smaller Android phone. Do I not have that many options?
Smaller phones that are worth getting barely exist, and straight up do not exist on Verizon. Unfortunately.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Anyone had both a Moto X Pure and the Nexus 5X? If so which did you prefer? I haven't really kept up with phones but am looking to upgrade from a Droid Maxx. Not restricted to Verizon or those 2 phones I've just noticed those seem to be favorites around here.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Is the snapdragon 810 bad enough to make the oneplusone 2 a bad budget phone to get?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

At $330 you're $70 away from getting a Moto X which is going to be an overall better phone. That's not even getting into the issues with Oneplus as a company.

print scream key
Sep 20, 2012
I have an iPhone 6 (T-Mo) right now and I'm looking into options to lower my overall monthly bill. Right now its $105, but $40 of that is going towards the phone payment and Jump.

I looked into selling my phone since it seems like it'll fetch $380 right now and I still owe about $270 on it. Also saw that the Nexus 5 can be had for quite (comparatively) cheap. Am I an idiot for thinking of replacing my iPhone 6 with a Nexus 5 (not the 5x) to save $40/month when it'll cost me somewhere around $90 upfront?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Replacing a year old phone with a two year old phone seems kinda silly IMO, especially since it'll likely be on the chopping block for updates after this year. You can just pay off the iPhone and continue to use on T-Mobile or switch to Cricket or something and save some more money.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

kidrobotx posted:

I have an iPhone 6 (T-Mo) right now and I'm looking into options to lower my overall monthly bill. Right now its $105, but $40 of that is going towards the phone payment and Jump.

I looked into selling my phone since it seems like it'll fetch $380 right now and I still owe about $270 on it. Also saw that the Nexus 5 can be had for quite (comparatively) cheap. Am I an idiot for thinking of replacing my iPhone 6 with a Nexus 5 (not the 5x) to save $40/month when it'll cost me somewhere around $90 upfront?

Yes, there are better options out there than a Nexus 5 in 2015. I would probably take a 2015 Moto G over it.

Edit: Just saw that the price is $188 for a new with warranty Nexus 5. That's a pretty compelling price, I thought you were looking used. I'd still likely take a 2015 G over it, but definitely not a bad way to go.
http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-D820-Unlocked-Cellphone-Black/dp/B00GGQJL2K

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

kidrobotx posted:

I just sold my grey Sept 2014 issue IPhone 6 64G for $475 on Ebay so you might get more than $380. My phone was paid off though......

It paid for most of the cost of a new Moto XP 64G $499. The phone on the N5 is soooo bad, if you are coming from an iphone 6 yer gonna be horrified.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 27, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Yes, there are better options out there than a Nexus 5 in 2015. I would probably take a 2015 Moto G over it.

Edit: Just saw that the price is $188 for a new with warranty Nexus 5. That's a pretty compelling price, I thought you were looking used. I'd still likely take a 2015 G over it, but definitely not a bad way to go.
http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-D820-Unlocked-Cellphone-Black/dp/B00GGQJL2K

Nah, you shouldn't spend $200 on a Nexus 5 at this point, it is a bad way to go. Feel free to pay off the iPhone and sell it, but at least get the Nexus 5X.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I have a nexus 5. I have a "real" phone number and a google voice number.

A mix of people use both numbers.

I recently opened a small side biz. I'd like to get a third number (somehow) and have my phone tell me when someone is calling that number so I know it's a biz call.

I don't know how to do this, so I'm thinking about getting a small flip burner phone to use on a prepaid basis.

Any good ideas to avoid the burner phone plan? I tried an app called Flyp but it didn't work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

So I think my HTC One M7 finally ate it yesterday. It died and won't even begin to charge, no matter what outlet and charger I use. It's been a good phone but I think its time is up.

I talked to a Verizon rep last night and I've got three upgrades available on the account so I guess their whole lineup is available to me. I've been thinking about making the switch over to an iPhone for a while, having been on Android for so long though has me confused though. My original plan was to hold out until the S7/iPhone 7 or even the M10 comes out but that no longer seems to be an option, so now I guess I'm pretty stuck between the 6S and the S6.

I don't root my phone, I don't download a ton of apps, I don't take lots of pictures or video. Mainly what I use it for is web browsing, looking at Facebook, maybe every now and then a game or something, but that's rare. Call, text, web browsing, social media. If I'm making a trip, I'll use maps as well. I'll watch YouTube and stream music at work from time to time as well.

For how I use the device, is there a big difference in which one I select? I kinda want to try becoming an iPerson, but I'm unsure. A friend of mine got the S6 last night and it seems pretty wicked, but like the iPhone, this would be my first Samsung device too.