Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Whoever's been saying you can only use 3 Makeb Gazebos is full of poo poo, because I've used 6 and counting. I'm pretty sure the limit of 50 is for real. But really, unless you plan to use that many, give some to your friends. GTN prices are already below 200k on my server and they've only existed for a few hours.

There's something weird going on with decorations unlocks. I had one that showed as 2/2 in my decorations window but I was able to unlock 3 more and now it shows as 2/5. usually it'd show as x/y where y is the upper limit. So who knows?

At any rate, I don't plan on placing 50 centerpieces :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Leveling is ridiculously easy right now, way easier than during the 12x thing.

Caveat: It's not easier if you were insistent on doing only the 12x class story.

But everything else they've added makes it so much more interesting that you're kind of missing out by doing only the class story now, unlike before.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What's the instant level 10 trick?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Dead now.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Use the Nico early unlock item (assuming you have it, obviously), warp to Odessan and go through his conversations, IIRC.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Has the official release patch fixed the terminal for the old companions ? I'm still on the edge about resubbing. Can you get every old companion back now ?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Hammerstein posted:

Has the official release patch fixed the terminal for the old companions ? I'm still on the edge about resubbing. Can you get every old companion back now ?

You can but they don't contribute to the story, they're just for show right now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hulk Smash! posted:

You can but they don't contribute to the story, they're just for show right now.

My question is still whether your screwing yourself out of a potential recruitment mission later if you choose to recruit someone not currently available

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, what happens if you use the Niko item? Can you still do his quest?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Well, what happens if you use the Niko item? Can you still do his quest?

Yes. That's how I did it.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Besides is that Niko guy preorder exclusive or can you buy him on the cartel market or something ?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

My question is still whether your screwing yourself out of a potential recruitment mission later if you choose to recruit someone not currently available

Folks on reddit are saying that not all companions are showing up at the terminal, so they're speculating that maybe the ones you'll recruit later are being held back.

Or maybe bugs. Either or.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Yes. That's how I did it.

FYI regarding Niko for you there's an achievement for getting him via the quest and not using the holo communicator

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

FYI regarding Niko for you there's an achievement for getting him via the quest and not using the holo communicator

Cool. I'll do that on the next guy I run through.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

Everybody wants to be Darth Vader, and nobody wants to be Luke :sigh:

What temperature is it inside a Tauntaun?

Lukewarm! :haw:

It doesn't help that the writing and voice acting for the Jedi classes totally blows. They could have done not to make them bland Dudley-Do-Rights. Obi-Wan in both incarnations at least had liveliness and character in his voice.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I've been doing the Knight story and the worst part about it is the main character.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I've been doing the Knight story and the worst part about it is the main character.

I don't mind David Hayter so much, but you're right, the story is plenty saccharine - especially if you go LS.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Reminder to everyone that's playing through KOTFE to try and avoid posting spoilers about major plot points, and let's give it a week or so before we start talking openly in guild chat about it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Jan posted:

Caveat: It's not easier if you were insistent on doing only the 12x class story.

Actually, no. No caveat whatsoever. It is way loving faster now. It's not even anywhere close. And way easier, because the improved companions make it almost impossible to die. I power-leveled a lot of characters during the 12x thing, and now I'm actually kicking myself because it was a waste of time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jedi posted:

I don't mind David Hayter so much, but you're right, the story is plenty saccharine - especially if you go LS.

Yeah the acting is fine but there's no option to play an interesting character. Like Agent you can have some nuance about what you will and won't do and it has some interesting choices to make but LS knights are just beep boop robots. I just wanna be Jolee Bindo :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Mark Meer is funny.

Is it not Mark Meer?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Actually, no. No caveat whatsoever. It is way loving faster now. It's not even anywhere close. And way easier, because the improved companions make it almost impossible to die. I power-leveled a lot of characters during the 12x thing, and now I'm actually kicking myself because it was a waste of time.

I agree completely. The companion changes alone make it so much easier. They also seem to have improved the companion AI tremendously - they tank better and heal better and are generally more powerful than they were before. Not having to gear them is a tremendous advantage and the influence changes are just gravy.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
The "not right now" dialog option on the companion terminal literally says "I will wait for them to return as part of the story", so crisis averted everyone.

And it seems you can even get Kaliyo back, even though she's apparently a big part of chapter 10.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
Man, how I wish they'd let me take more than one companion with me during these class missions. I really enjoy having Corso indignant at my actions, but I just got Risha and I think I'll enjoy her too. :saddowns:

Also, I am enjoying playing dress up with my companions so much. Not having to gear them was one of my favourite changes. Look at that Corso butt:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
It is really disorienting to no longer have to gear companions. I get to a new planet and go "ugh, time to get gear", then remember I don't have to do it and I get all :unsmith:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I still unironically hope that I can one day put type 4 males into slave girl outfits. I will use it to troll every player I see with a slave girl mako

Enable my social justice crusade bioware, I demand it

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

I still unironically hope that I can one day put type 4 males into slave girl outfits. I will use it to troll every player I see with a slave girl mako

Enable my social justice crusade bioware, I demand it

... The slave outfits are female only? I'm ashamed to admit that I never tried to dress anyone in it. Is any other item gender-restricted?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jedi posted:

I agree completely. The companion changes alone make it so much easier. They also seem to have improved the companion AI tremendously - they tank better and heal better and are generally more powerful than they were before. Not having to gear them is a tremendous advantage and the influence changes are just gravy.

Yeah the biggest shock I've had playing so far is setting my comp to tank stance and watching him actually hold threat for an entire fight. That's never happened in swtor before, even treek couldn't do it

Beeme posted:

... The slave outfits are female only? I'm ashamed to admit that I never tried to dress anyone in it. Is any other item gender-restricted?

There's a couple other female-only outfits yeah (sexually suggestive ones, if you can believe it!!). Not sure if there's any male-only though.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Defiance Industries posted:

All the EU garbage has really pushed the idea that Jedi are unbeatable with their power to time travel or whatever, but even with that the best pilot in the galaxy is Wedge Antilles, just a Regular Dude.

I'm resurrecting this argument from two pages ago because, call if humility if you want, but Wedge Antilles would probably dispute that:

quote:

“So, I’m curious,” Phanan said. “Commander, Lieutenant, who do the old-timers think of as the greatest fighter pilot in the galaxy?”
Wedge and Janson exchanged a look. “Well,” said Wedge, “we can hardly speak for the old-timers. As a matter of fact, you’re older than I am.”
“I’m sorry. I actually meant your generation of pilots.”
Wedge sighed.
“It depends,” Janson said. “What are the criteria for ‘greatest pilot’? I mean, I’ve seen plenty of pilots with brilliant skill. Luke Skywalker is one of them. On the other hand, he didn’t fly regular combat missions for as long as most, so his kills aren’t up there with other pilots who have been around longer. Other pilots were extraordinary, too, but ended up drifting into the path of some Imp gunner and were vaped.”
He glanced at his commander. “If you want to go by numbers and survivability, of course, there’s only one pilot who has survived two Death Star runs. From that perspective, Wedge Antilles is the best pilot ever.”

He would have probably argued, correctly, that Luke was always better than he was, and always would be.

The awesome part about guys like Wedge is that they do live in this galaxy of telekinetic, telepathic supermen and they are the very loving best that the galaxy has to offer of the normal people...but they're not the Heroes who run around with lightsabers.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Until you have gotten a group of 3-4 together, picked up a dozen weekly heroics, and teleported from one to the next in alphabetical order cutting a swath of devastation across the galaxy, you just have no idea the kind of money and XP you can now gain in the space of half an hour. Even solo, heroics are a goldmine, but in a group it's just unreal. Doing class missions is painfully slow in comparison.

Like I said before, I feel like there's hardly a point to instant level 60's. It only takes two or three days of casual play to go from 1-60 now, and you get all the companions, character titles, etc. from the class story. You can figure out your rotations and stuff as you go, and then dive into KOTFE fully prepared.

The game is so unrecognizable as what it was a week and a half ago, it feels more like a sequel than an expansion.

Edit:

Ainsley McTree posted:

There's a couple other female-only outfits yeah (sexually suggestive ones, if you can believe it!!). Not sure if there's any male-only though.

There's the formal sets from the social vendors on capital worlds. The male ones are male-only and the female ones are actually modest.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Why go to Ziost?
Nothing remains there but ash
...and a sweet bike jump.

So a couple days ago, nonentity dropped an Akk Dog companion voucher in the guild bank. My first thought was "Score! Free akk dog!" but almost immediately after, I realized that it could be put to much better use. For example, as the grand prize of...

THE FIRST ANNUAL THAT'S NO GOON KOTFE-INSPIRED HAIKU CONTEST

As the more cultured among you already know, the haiku is a Japanese poetic form consisting of one line with 5 syllables, one with 7, and a third with 5. Typically they are about nature, but for this contest I want you to use the haiku format to compose your best thoughts about the KOTFE expansion. It can be about the story, new or changed mechanics, funny bugs, or anything else that was added with KOTFE. By way of inspiration and example, I have interspersed my own haiku about SoR throughout this post.

What do I see on
the chest of yonder Wookiee?
Doctor Venture droid.

The overall winner as chosen by me and some other judges (to be determined) will receive the Akk Dog companion unlock to use as they like. Flip it for mad cash? Name him Poochy and go on a series of magical adventures together? The possibilities are endless! Other prizes will be awarded for particularly noteworthy and entertaining entries! Note that I can only deliver said prizes to characters on the Jedi Covenant server.

Revan is back... but
I could have sworn I killed him
at that Foundry place.

Entry guidelines:
  • Submit your entries via email to NipponophileSA at gmail, include your SA forum name and SWTOR character name. I will be removing the names before forwarding to the other judges to reduce bias.
  • Only 5 entries per person, so bring the good stuff. Any haiku not meeting the 5-7-5 guidelines will be rejected and the sender mocked.
  • The contest will run for one week to allow everyone time to get their impressions of KOTFE together. The deadline for submissions is 12:00 noon Central US time on November 3rd.
Dozens of people
braving the wilds of Rishi
waiting on meat trees.

So go play some KOTFE for inspiration, then send me your best work! I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was going through the outfits last week (was shopping for a hypercrate), and there are a surprising number that show off a lot of male flesh. Not the same as the female-only outfits, but at least the skin-exposing outfits aren't sexy on women and then fully-clothed on men. (World of Warcraft has lots of armor sets where they look like fully-covering outfits on men, but turn into spring break gear for women.)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

You misunderstood what I said. Try doing only the class story now and see where that takes you.

Some people were complaining that it's slower now, which I assume is because they were only doing the class story. I was just making a point that it's dumb to only do the class story anyhow.

angrypostman
Jan 25, 2011
Is there a secret to finding folks in That's No Goon using /who?

I've tried /who "That's No Goon", and messaged a few folks randomly, and so far, they've all said they aren't in a guild, or are in a different guild than ours..

Anyway, my name is Borok in game if someone wants to toss an invite my way.

EDIT: Nm, searched from the fleet and it worked fine. I'm in!

angrypostman fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 27, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Aphrodite posted:

The common/uncommon/rare items from previous boxes.

They rebalanced the tiers for the newest box, so rare is actually rare and not full of 100k mounts. I'm not sure if those changes affected the old ones though. If they didn't they are not worth the cost.

I have about 3000 cartel coins, is it worth buying any of those? I don't have anything else to spend them on.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dan Didio posted:

I have about 3000 cartel coins, is it worth buying any of those? I don't have anything else to spend them on.

Definitely don't buy a hypercrate unless you've got tons of free inventory space and storage-locker tabs available. You wind up with a ridiculous amount of stuff.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

angrypostman posted:

I've tried /who "That's No Goon", and messaged a few folks randomly, and so far, they've all said they aren't in a guild, or are in a different guild than ours..

The search window will write whatever you type after /who into its search bar, but it first does a whole zone search without using the search contents. You have to click the looking glass icon again for it to actually use your search terms.

Speaking of which, to the Bioware goon who was asking about broken UI things, how about fixing this 3-4 year old issue? :v:

Jan fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 27, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

prefect posted:

Definitely don't buy a hypercrate unless you've got tons of free inventory space and storage-locker tabs available. You wind up with a ridiculous amount of stuff.

Good to know. Is there anything on the cartel that's cool that people would recommend buying right now? I have all the basic stuff people use to recommend for QOL stuff.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

Good to know. Is there anything on the cartel that's cool that people would recommend buying right now? I have all the basic stuff people use to recommend for QOL stuff.

Most of the stuff right now is cosmetic, so get what looks good to you. If you want to flip the item for money, insta-60 tokens sell pretty well. Thexan's armor set would probably sell well too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Jan posted:

You misunderstood what I said. Try doing only the class story now and see where that takes you.

Some people were complaining that it's slower now, which I assume is because they were only doing the class story. I was just making a point that it's dumb to only do the class story anyhow.

Well, the way you phrased that was ambiguous at best, but yeah. The class story is no longer the fast way to level. It's really nice, though, that it does give you a pretty decent amount of XP regardless of level. The strategy I'm trying out now is to prime a character by getting to around 50 with heroics, and then cruise through the class story and see where that lands me. It could be I'll be able to jump straight into KOTFE from there, which would be a lot of fun, seeing the character's entire story arc virtually uninterrupted.

• Locked thread