Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Can someone give me some tips for tuning differentials? Especially on front and rear wheel drive cars. I leave mine stock and feel like it must be leaving a lot of time on the table.

From Forza 4, and seems to work pretty well. These focused on RWD.

Acceleration
Deceleration

As for FWD, I have no clue. I've been trying to figure it out for Wednesday.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130529003514/http://diy-racetuning.net/Forza-Motorsport-4/DIY-limited-slip-differential-tuning.html but unfortunately it's missing the diagrams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Can someone give me some tips for tuning differentials? Especially on front and rear wheel drive cars. I leave mine stock and feel like it must be leaving a lot of time on the table.

For FWD Acceleration just set it to like, 90 or 95. You pretty much want that bad boy locked up all the time. Peg legging a tire just means you're losing out on acceleration. The deceleration isn't really a big deal. Go with something low. <30.

For RWD Acceleration the best set up is to find out the point where one of the rear tires breaks traction on/coming out of a turn, then tune the diff so it stops doing that. Point being you want stability under power. If no matter where you put it, the one tire just keeps peeling out, you need to either a: get less horsepower , b: get more traction , or c: Just keep them locked all the time and deal with it. Tune the deceleration to keep you from spinning out when braking hard in a turn or downshifting. Again usually something low.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 27, 2015

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Whoa now, the deceleration setting on FWD cars is definitely a big deal, since front-wheel-drive cars are notorious for off-throttle oversteer. Have it too low and the back end will try to pass the front on corner entry.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
im working with 65A 0D at the moment and it feels pretty good. Im slowly bumping up the accel setting.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
OK but...how do you do this:

Endbuster posted:

find out the point where one of the rear tires breaks traction on/coming out of a turn

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Notice when the car begins to rotate? It should be accompanied by a pretty dramatic vibration on the controller. And just try to think back to yourself and say "Did that happen early in the corner, in the middle, or after? Did it happen when it turned in? When i broke? When i hit the gas"? I knew how to identify handling characteristics, but not how to translate that into numbers in the game. Still dont, in fact. Try little 10-20 percent changes and see what it does.

Those that dont tune must look at us like utter :goonsay: spergs but for me this is a fun minigame :)

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Drive a few laps with the telemetry open to the tire grip screen. It's the one with the 4 rectangles with green circles on them. When you're accelerating out of a corner, watch the two rectangles that represent your drive wheels. If one of the circles turns red you're breaking traction and need more diff lock.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Notice when the car begins to rotate? It should be accompanied by a pretty dramatic vibration on the controller. And just try to think back to yourself and say "Did that happen early in the corner, in the middle, or after? Did it happen when it turned in? When i broke? When i hit the gas"? I knew how to identify handling characteristics, but not how to translate that into numbers in the game. Still dont, in fact. Try little 10-20 percent changes and see what it does.

Those that dont tune must look at us like utter :goonsay: spergs but for me this is a fun minigame :)

I kind of understand the dynamics of tuning but for me it's not fun. I'm Cole Trickle, someone else can be Harry.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Yup what Zinjnok said. Alternatively using the tire heat screen. When the temps shoot to the moon you've broken traction.

THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE DOUCHEY::: So I've driven your cars in the past and noticed you tune them to your driving style (duh), but since you're gonna go a little more in depth and tune the differential you're gonna find that maybe it feels kinda understeery. Don't worry, you can fix it again with some suspension tuning and just be sure that the car is pointed out of the turn before rolling on the gas. Since your diff will lock it'll feel like its harder to turn. That's okay, You can fix it elsewhere by softening some other aspect of the chassis and getting the weight where its supposed to be.

All the cars I tune are pretty much set up to be have their corner entry steering adjusted with throttle input, rather than stick input. Some physics poo poo happens and the cars get better lap times. The science is there, Dashoe can explain that poo poo. He taught me all the tuning crap anyway.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I knew how to identify handling characteristics, but not how to translate that into numbers in the game. Still dont, in fact. Try little 10-20 percent changes and see what it does.

Yeah it gets tedious, but tuning the half of the car with problems, one part at a time is pretty much the only way to perfectly dial you car in and make driving easy on yourself. I just hate how many loading screens there are when I want to tune something. FM5 was horrible with that. At least now you can adjust poo poo in between rivals.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 27, 2015

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Zinjnok posted:

Drive a few laps with the telemetry open to the tire grip screen. It's the one with the 4 rectangles with green circles on them. When you're accelerating out of a corner, watch the two rectangles that represent your drive wheels. If one of the circles turns red you're breaking traction and need more diff lock.
Oh, that seems easy enough. Thanks.
Not douchey at all. I think we just have very different driving styles. I couldn't do what you do with low-grip, high HP style cars.

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea, I'm sure we will all be just fine the day after Halloween.

Not really a big party here in South Africa.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Damnit my plan of buying the xbox elite controller with the new Apple TV at best buy tomorrow was foiled because too many other people bought it already and it's sold out. Didn't think I would need to preorder a $150 game controller.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

GutBomb posted:

Damnit my plan of buying the xbox elite controller with the new Apple TV at best buy tomorrow was foiled because too many other people bought it already and it's sold out. Didn't think I would need to preorder a $150 game controller.

I'm really curious how the longer throw will work for racing. It seems like it would be quite helpful.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I already use one of those fps freek stick extenders on a regular controller and it's really good. I was looking forward to the paddles for shifting.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Speaking of controller players... does anyone else use the right stick for gear shifting? I got used to that setup in Gran Turismo 6 and was thankful they included it in Forza, although it's all the way at the far right of the control profile options so I'm guessing it's not exactly popular. I just associate flicking the stick up and down with moving the stick in a real car (although, I know, a bunch if not most of the cars in this game use paddles).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I still use the A button as clutch and X/B for downshift/upshift. The stick as the shifter has always felt extremely weird and it would also disallow me from constantly swinging the camera all over the place as I'm wont to do whenever I'm racing.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
The stock control system with the left shoulder button as the clutch has always felt pretty natural to me. My finger rests there anyway.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cubey posted:

I still use the A button as clutch and X/B for downshift/upshift. The stick as the shifter has always felt extremely weird and it would also disallow me from constantly swinging the camera all over the place as I'm wont to do whenever I'm racing.

This is the superior control setting. Like you only need 1 finger to change gears, even when running the clutch.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
That's the method I use now when using a controller and it's perfect. I'm curious how the paddles will feel. Since there are 4 of them I could make the top two clutch and the bottom two shifters. There is an app associated with the controller too that lets you remap buttons. I don't know all of the details but it might be possible to map multiple buttons to one paddle so if I could map clutch and shift to a single paddle (just like autoclutch on fanatec and thrustmaster wheels) that would be ideal.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

GutBomb posted:

That's the method I use now when using a controller and it's perfect. I'm curious how the paddles will feel. Since there are 4 of them I could make the top two clutch and the bottom two shifters. There is an app associated with the controller too that lets you remap buttons. I don't know all of the details but it might be possible to map multiple buttons to one paddle so if I could map clutch and shift to a single paddle (just like autoclutch on fanatec and thrustmaster wheels) that would be ideal.
Man, GB, if you didn't play racing video games, you could have used the money youve spent on wheels and controllers to buy a beater car.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Man, GB, if you didn't play racing video games, you could have used the money youve spent on wheels and controllers to buy a beater car.

The title of the iRacing thread is no joke.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
But then I'd have to leave the house.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

GutBomb posted:

But then I'd have to leave the house.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

jabro posted:

The title of the iRacing thread is no joke.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
Not sure if this is an oft-stated complaint, but man these hopper lobby things are bollocks. I've lost count of how long I've spent joining a lobby, just to see that the race is already in progress and I have to wait for them to finish. Wouldn't be so bad if you got dropped in when the race is on its last lap, but bloody hell, you join when 0/3 laps of the full Nurburgring is in play.... And it's just one lobby per class.

Also its balls that you can't create a race and then let the public in. I only see that I can create private matches, and I'm far too socially awkward to start a party chat and all that.

Dirtyfrog1977 btw, I'm in the UK and would be down for any GMT friendly organised racing.

dirtyfrog fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 29, 2015

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
There's usually several lobbies per class. Just back out and try connecting again. It'll typically put you in a different one.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish Forza would put in some like consumer level cars. I want to race around in a Accord or a Maxima. I know the high end cars are nice but sometimes you just want to take a beater and soup it up :(

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I know what you're getting at but there are TONS of E and D class cars that have very low power, terrible handling, and are just waiting to be modded. They're anything but high end. Sure, no modern camrys but there's plenty of other older entry level cars.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GutBomb posted:

You've got an Elite? I haven't read much about how the sticks or triggers feel.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Yes, drat you Forza for not letting me achieve my teenage dream of ricing the gently caress out of my 1990 Accord LX.

That actually is one thing I kinda miss from GT6, though, better representation of low-end, practical cars. Granted you also had to sift through a million identical S2000s and Miatas, but there was a good chance you could find your old high school ride.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
spoiler on a honda ultimate teenage fanatasy

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

holocaust bloopers posted:

You've got an Elite? I haven't read much about how the sticks or triggers feel.

No I was planning on it but it was sold out before the stock even arrived at my local Best Buy. Just talking about it because I really want one.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I do too. I can trade in some stuff to lessen the blow. Just wanna hear some more feedback before pulling the trigger.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The one thing to keep in mind about the Elite controller is that it uses the exact same control stick internals that Microsoft has used since the 360. So in a couple years you could very well be experiencing serious stick drift issues in a controller you paid $150 for.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cubey posted:

The one thing to keep in mind about the Elite controller is that it uses the exact same control stick internals that Microsoft has used since the 360. So in a couple years you could very well be experiencing serious stick drift issues in a controller you paid $150 for.

Thank you. I asked about this in the xbone thread and no one knew.

Glad I bought a TX wheel

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Got this for a change from shootmans(Halo 5), I may well be terrible. GT: S1Nx81

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Something else we did back in the Forza 4 days that might be fun to bring back while we've got so many people playing would be the weekly time trial thing where every week we pick a specific car and track and everyone puts up their fastest hot lap time.

It's something people can do on their own time without having to worry about coordinating anything and it'd give us a reason to try driving some bone stock cars. I figure most of us do enough upgrading/tuning for our other races that this would be a nice break from worrying about that.

If people are interested in doing this, I can set up a Google doc to keep track of all the times.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Hell yeah, sign me up.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Me too. I'm into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Ok, i propose this saturday at 3pm. Weekend time trial series.

D class cars, nurburgring GP, No aero. 20 minutes to set the best time (Or we could make it a half hour or longer and just make it a chillout chat room, you can park for a rest)

• Locked thread