Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DeathSandwich posted:

So any of the Warhammer lore nerds able to speculate on something? Based in the scant things I know about Warhammer Fantasy coupled with other speculators in the thread I'm running on the assumption that if they add new classes the first thing we'll probably see is a White Lion or a Brettonian Knight. What kind of weapons would we expect to see from them? I'm assuming we'll get sword and shield as a baseline so well have 3 potential tank characters, but I was curious about what else would be lore appropriate.

In my mind eye I could see them both getting a short spear and shield for an extended range straight line enemy penetrating/headshot attack with slowish speed. Maybe a longspear/lance that serves their big heavy weapon, less of a wide sweep but does heavy damage and penetrates as well. Maybe give them a great axe with a move set similar to the dwarf.

For ranged weapons I can see either of them getting a way watcher style longbow and maybe a fancier crossbow that does less damage but reloads faster and has more ammo. I'm completely at a loss as to their third ranged weapon though. Maybe like a bundle of throwing javelins? Have it be the ranged slot equivalent of the witch hunter rapier in that it's primarily a ranged weapon that you can block with albeit poorly, primary attack is throwing it as a high damage high accuracy but low range/high projectile drop ranged weapon and have the rapier "fire pistol" button do a quick melee stab.

Honestly I'd expect a Warrior Priest before either of those things.

A White Lion would be great though. Forget Swordmasters, lets get an axe wielding berserker elf in here to show how loving lame Kerillian really is :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Have I mentioned that I really like that there is no scantly dressed bimbo or He-Man knockoff in the game?
Don't worry they still have time to add dark elves and norsca marauders.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's kinda funny that the elf's bow is one of the worse ranged weapons in the game and she's much better played as a psychopathic blender.

heffsay
Mar 5, 2013

That Italian Guy posted:

AFAIK it's always 100% chance, but the duration is decreased by 66% (green) or 33% (blue). So maybe the orange one is full duration?

Also the green version text is "bugged" as it does not report any decreased duration, while the blue one reports the 33% reduction as normal. The green one is empirically believed to be 66% reduction, since it reduces the duration more than the blue one.

One thing I need to test is if I somehow get the effects of potions when others use them. I swear that I thought I gained the speed effect when the 2nd guy picked used his for the barrels last night, but admittedly I was pretty tired and may have just been imagining things.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

heffsay posted:

I only ran one more last night after I got it, and my group noticed it when I used a speed potion for the barrel part of Horn. If it is 100%, it is loving amazing. Quad-strength potion bombs on a ROgre would be a sight to see.

This is the "tier3" version of this trinket type, so has anyone seen the green/blue versions? Might be able to assume the percent chance when comparing it to those two.

God I want that trinket now, it sounds amazing

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Smelly hunchback with a Terrier not epic enough? I'll fight you IRL.

Have I mentioned that I really like that there is no scantly dressed bimbo or He-Man knockoff in the game?
The He-Man knockoff in the setting is a Chaos prince who thinks he's so beautiful that he has a chance every turn to catch sight of his own reflection and spend the whole turn admiring himself.

Night10194 posted:

It's kinda funny that the elf's bow is one of the worse ranged weapons in the game and she's much better played as a psychopathic blender.
Why she should have been a Wardancer. :colbert:

I'd like to see a Warrior Priest in here though. Loved playing one in WH:O. While healing spells probably won't be a thing in this, it was fun running around smashing people in the face with hammers to power up your healing spells.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

heffsay posted:

I only ran one more last night after I got it, and my group noticed it when I used a speed potion for the barrel part of Horn. If it is 100%, it is loving amazing. Quad-strength potion bombs on a ROgre would be a sight to see.

This is the "tier3" version of this trinket type, so has anyone seen the green/blue versions? Might be able to assume the percent chance when comparing it to those two.

Here you go, dawri.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Night10194 posted:

Its good at what it does, dishing out headshots at a silly pace. My friend played the elf last night when we did a couple of normal missions and entire stormvermin patrols would be solo'd by him. It was crazy.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Night10194 posted:

I mean, all the characters have a really good ranged weapon they can focus on primarily (if you don't like the longbow I will cut you IRL) and at least one melee blender style weapon that can stun lock crowds. Saying dual swords is the premier wide sweep murder weapon hasn't spent enough time with the rapier, the wizard sword both flaming and not, the dwarf 1h hammer, ect.

If you we're to argue that the true flight bow encourages bad habits I'll agree with you. It's significantly less useful come nightmare where arrows move erratically and friendly fire like crazy. The regular longbow is straight legit though and I have no problem letting the elf suck up all the ammo drops if he uses it well. Likewise a dwarf with good drakefire pistols can tear it up as a midrange skirmisher and with proper application can tear up swarms with it as good as the bright wizard.

Hell, the other day I did a nightmare run as the wizard doing the melee blender thing with the fire sword and tore poo poo up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

That Italian Guy posted:

AFAIK it's always 100% chance, but the duration is decreased by 66% (green) or 33% (blue). So maybe the orange one is full duration?

Also the green version text is "bugged" as it does not report any decreased duration, while the blue one reports the 33% reduction as normal. The green one is empirically believed to be 66% reduction, since it reduces the duration more than the blue one.

Having not read the descriptions of the other ones, the blue test tube rack I have shares within 15 feet of me. Perhaps orange shared regardless of range?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like the Longbow, I just prefer a handgun or something I can sorta whip out and blast something with. The Longbow's perfectly serviceable (though again, I haven't gotten any since the one you get from leveling).

The rapier remains my favorite fast, light weapon, and I still haven't found a single rapier (even a white) in 30 hours of play, while I have a decent sword and dagger with regrowth on it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The rule should probably be that the first orange you get, that is your class now. Because man, they game dumps a ton of single class stuff then ignores others.

Sorry, Witch Hunter, I still love you

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Ravenfood posted:

I'd like to see a Warrior Priest in here though. Loved playing one in WH:O. While healing spells probably won't be a thing in this, it was fun running around smashing people in the face with hammers to power up your healing spells.

While I understand mechanically that if this game had healing spells it would trivialize a lot of it, but still, I want to see some of those healer classes from WH:O in here as well

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
One way they could improve getting loot without breaking the current system too much is allow building any base white weapon straight from white building materials. So if you are just plain unlucky, you can salvage all your crap and build 5x white rapiers and get a green one. If you are still terribly unlucky, you can build 25x rapiers and forge a blue one. Could maybe allow straight construction of greens or upgrading a white->green if you have the current white item and enough green, though this would completely eclipse the fusing system unless it was significantly more expensive (white rapier + 10 green mats = green rapier).

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I've got both blue and green vials. Blue says 33% reduction to duration. Green doesn't say anything about duration.

I didn't do any real testing to see how long they had lasted but I put the green on because descriptions.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dezztroy posted:

All of the special skaven are far more dangerous than their L4D counterparts. I don't remember ever getting killed or even taking serious damage from a spitter while globadiers will gently caress your poo poo up real bad if you don't take them out quickly. Which is a good thing.

Still playing on Normal, I see two of my allies hoisted up by catching poles, oh no!

And then I was captured by the lone Packmaster, apparently the bastards carry more than one catching pole with them. :gonk:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lovely Senorita posted:

Still playing on Normal, I see two of my allies hoisted up by catching poles, oh no!

And then I was captured by the lone Packmaster, apparently the bastards carry more than one catching pole with them. :gonk:

They know they have lots of humans to capture in a city

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Skandranon posted:

One way they could improve getting loot without breaking the current system too much is allow building any base white weapon straight from white building materials. So if you are just plain unlucky, you can salvage all your crap and build 5x white rapiers and get a green one. If you are still terribly unlucky, you can build 25x rapiers and forge a blue one. Could maybe allow straight construction of greens or upgrading a white->green if you have the current white item and enough green, though this would completely eclipse the fusing system unless it was significantly more expensive (white rapier + 10 green mats = green rapier).

They really should allow you to do something with the upgrade materials. Right now I have 13 white chunks because I am a moron and broke down a bunch of stuff when I first got the game

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

They really should allow you to do something with the upgrade materials. Right now I have 13 white chunks because I am a moron and broke down a bunch of stuff when I first got the game

Well, they let you upgrade weapons with it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skandranon posted:

This would be an excellent idea and you should send it to the developers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Badly Jester posted:

Well, they let you upgrade weapons with it.

Greens, sure, but at this point I'm a decent way past wanting to upgrade greens

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Just played this for the first time last night and God drat it's fun! I wish I could be home playing right now...

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Night10194 posted:

This would be an excellent idea and you should send it to the developers.

They don't read these forums, so suggest poo poo on a medium they look at. If you have actual good ideas then post them instead of complaining and doing nothing.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

My point was that these materials serve a purpose, and it's not a flaw in the game design that you ground up all the white items you got your hands on, much like enemies spawning behind the group isn't a flaw in the game mechanics either. :v:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Badly Jester posted:

My point was that these materials serve a purpose, and it's not a flaw in the game design that you ground up all the white items you got your hands on, much like enemies spawning behind the group isn't. :v:

It is a feature, but one that quickly gets left behind. Once you have all blues, it's unlikely you'll go backwards. The system needs some further tweaks to keep it working long term.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I would be satisfied with better pathfinding for AI. It takes so long to complete some missions because the AI usually gets stuck on the way to the group and you spend forever waiting for them.

Since I started playing the 2h-hammer soldier, I've started urging my groups not to sit in corners and to instead full on advance through the level while cutting down the swarm of ratlings around us. I'm still not sure who and what weapon combo works best as rear guard, since most attacks move you forward instead of backwards, and attacking slows down your movement. It causes the rear guard to be left behind .

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I want the High Elf guy to be a fighter, not a Wizard just so we can get all sorts of fabulous tall-helms.

Default Basic:

Deluxe Editions:

Also, I kinda think a Sea Guard captain might make the most sense. You could get a wide variety of weapons (including bows/javelins) on them, unlike White Lions and Sword Masters, who tend to stick to narrow selections.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Skandranon posted:

It is a feature, but one that quickly gets left behind. Once you have all blues, it's unlikely you'll go backwards. The system needs some further tweaks to keep it working long term.

I don't think making weapons of the highest tier easier to obtain is going to help the long term viability of this game either. In fact, I think the loot system is almost causing more issues than it solves. Some people would be perfectly happy bopping rats on the head repeatedly without loot being a factor, because the core gameplay is fun (people have been playing L4D2 and Killing Floor for years, though the latter does have long-term progression to some extent). So while the addition of loot adds a bit of flavor, it has also created different expectations.
Just think about the fact that, thanks to the loot system in this game, we now have people complaining about having to play a video game for 30 minutes if there's a chance game drops poo poo loot and thus doesn't 'reward' the player. Playing the goddamn game should be reward enough.

CountingWizard posted:

I would be satisfied with better pathfinding for AI. It takes so long to complete some missions because the AI usually gets stuck on the way to the group and you spend forever waiting for them.

Since I started playing the 2h-hammer soldier, I've started urging my groups not to sit in corners and to instead full on advance through the level while cutting down the swarm of ratlings around us. I'm still not sure who and what weapon combo works best as rear guard, since most attacks move you forward instead of backwards, and attacking slows down your movement. It causes the rear guard to be left behind .

This can be solved by having two people do it; once one person needs to catch up, the other one takes over.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 27, 2015

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CountingWizard posted:

hell, just have it teleport to the players if it is more the X yards away or whatever

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

CountingWizard posted:

Bright Wizard is probably best all around for rear-guard, as they can move backwards while firing fairly consistently. They can also engage at the front if required without having to first move into melee range.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Badly Jester posted:

I don't think making weapons of the highest tier easier to obtain is going to help the long term viability of this game either. In fact, I think the loot system is almost causing more issues than it solves. Some people would be perfectly happy bopping rats on the head repeatedly without loot being a factor, because the core gameplay is fun (people have been playing L4D2 and Killing Floor for years, though the latter does have long-term progression to some extent). So while the addition of loot adds a bit of flavor, it has also created different expectations.
Just think about the fact that, thanks to the loot system in this game, we now have people complaining about having to play a video game for 30 minutes if there's a chance game drops poo poo loot and thus doesn't 'reward' the player. Playing the goddamn game should be reward enough.

i realy do not understand why this game and payday 2 can look at the very well done weapon unlocking systems in COD/Battlefield type games and think an RNG is better. RNG is only better if its going to be like diablo 3 or borderlands and you get a ton of stuff all the time. Linking the loot drop to completing levels just incentivizes players to do boring rear end poo poo like running black powder 1000 times

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I'm super torn on what weapon to use on Elf. I like Sword/Dagger and Sword/Sword a whole lot, but I feel that Sword/Dagger pulls out ahead. Didn't care for its light attack combo at first, but as I've spent time with it I've come to love its ability to annihilate a swarm with 2 slashes and then one-shot the next couple rats coming in with dagger stab headshots. And the second power attack gives it so much versatility. You've got the same cross slash as Sword/Sword for AoE, then you have the single-target downward stab which does absolutely absurd damage. Basically an instant death sentence to Stormvermin, kills Rat Ogres very noticeably quicker, and tears apart destructible objectives. The extra block is also a nice bonus.

Unfortunately my Sword/Dagger (left) rolled some pretty terrible modifiers while Sword/Sword (right) picked up some fairly rad poo poo. Why you gotta do me this way, Vermintide

I'd also just like to say that this game desperately, desperately wants me to play Elf.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, I kinda think a Sea Guard captain might make the most sense. You could get a wide variety of weapons (including bows/javelins) on them, unlike White Lions and Sword Masters, who tend to stick to narrow selections.

I also strongly suspect that the inevitable high elf character will be a sea guard for just this reason. The devs implied pretty strongly that the mixed of ranged and melee was the reason they made the dwarf a ranger instead of the much more popular slayer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Javelins would be pretty cool, and if we have a Witch Hunter who has 50 pistols hidden in his coat somehow, why not an Elf with a few dozen pointy sticks?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i realy do not understand why this game and payday 2 can look at the very well done weapon unlocking systems in COD/Battlefield type games and think an RNG is better. RNG is only better if its going to be like diablo 3 or borderlands and you get a ton of stuff all the time. Linking the loot drop to completing levels just incentivizes players to do boring rear end poo poo like running black powder 1000 times

If it was tied to experience, they'd still be doing boring/weird poo poo to maximize experience/minute (so they'd still be running Black Powder all day). As soon as there's a mechanic that somehow offers a path of least resistance, people will try to exploit it - that's what I was trying to get at in my post. But I guess fun is subjective after all, and to some people "gaming" the mechanics is as fun as actually playing the game is to me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The other main loot improvement idea that I can't figure why they don't already do is allowing you to select a loot thing UP TO the number of hits you got. Goodness knows there were many times where I would happily give up an orange 1h arming sword for the mace and shield blue right below it.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Me and a pal were running wizard's tower with two bots, doing pretty well, bots are keeping up and doing their part. Then a pubbie joins as the elf, and IMMEDIATELY runs off on his own in the opposite direction of the team and gets pounced by a gutter runner, before proceeding to poo poo-talk us in chat and ragequitting.

When are we getting a :fuckelves: emote?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Coolguye posted:

The other main loot improvement idea that I can't figure why they don't already do is allowing you to select a loot thing UP TO the number of hits you got. Goodness knows there were many times where I would happily give up an orange 1h arming sword for the mace and shield blue right below it.

I think this could be implemented as another grimoire type thing to carry, with big penalties. So you can either get your 2 grims for more dice hits, or grab the 'multi-select' thing to be able to select within your dice roll. Or grab everything and have almost no chance of winning.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Trier posted:

Me and a pal were running wizard's tower with two bots, doing pretty well, bots are keeping up and doing their part. Then a pubbie joins as the elf, and IMMEDIATELY runs off on his own in the opposite direction of the team and gets pounced by a gutter runner, before proceeding to poo poo-talk us in chat and ragequitting.

When are we getting a :fuckelves: emote?

Even Goon Elves get on my nerves when they gotta Elf.

I just growl "EllllLLFFF..." into the mic when the Elf is doing something they shouldn't be doing. I don't even have to say anything else anymore.

Night10194 posted:

Three times today I have been within one too many or too few successes to finally get a green or blue rapier. :shepicide:

I have not found a single rapier of any color so far. The blue pistols with Targeteer make up for it some, though.

Last night I got a Rapier with Scavenger and Improved Shove, to go with my Regrowth + Targeteer blue pistols :coal:

KlavoHunter fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I like the forward stab that the elf does after she pushes someone if you tap again. The best defense is a good offense, eh elf?

• Locked thread