Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Since 1.4 I've mostly been grinding rocks in my new Python mobile mining platform, and I must say that it's poo poo-tons of fun. Like, way more fun than mining's ever been, and I already really liked mining back when it was lovely and the crown jewel of my fleet was a Type-6. I think I might join up with the Marias dudes and do some designated-role, wing-based mining. :pervert:

tl;dr ALL HAIL THE SECOND BEST SPACE MADNESS, LOOK YE FOR SALVATION WITHIN THE ROCK.

edit: Also I've been Fuel Ratting and that's pretty fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
The hell is 'Fuel Ratting'

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Find someone who ran out of fuel and refuel them, saving them from death.
It's also an actually cool player initiative.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

http://fuelrats.com/

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Ohh those guys, couldn't remember their name

I should bookmark em

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
CQC owns and is fun forever

The thing to realize tho, is that ranking isn't a measure of skill but at best experience. The matchmaker ignores ranking and goes for a hidden Elo system. When you're level 0, you have an Elo that doesn't reflect your actual skill and may be set quite high, but should rapidly stabilize.

Everyone should play more CQC.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah CQC was a good idea and they should take ideas from that and add them to the open game
I'm amazed they haven't added that outpost in the asteroids to the base game

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

frank.club posted:

Yeah CQC was a good idea and they should take ideas from that and add them to the open game
I'm amazed they haven't added that outpost in the asteroids to the base game

It would give a reason for res beacons to exist beyond being a place to go to kill pirates.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's true. Plus the station as an object already exists so would it be that hard to toss in into some belts?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Trustworthy posted:

Since 1.4 I've mostly been grinding rocks in my new Python mobile mining platform, and I must say that it's poo poo-tons of fun. Like, way more fun than mining's ever been, and I already really liked mining back when it was lovely and the crown jewel of my fleet was a Type-6. I think I might join up with the Marias dudes and do some designated-role, wing-based mining. :pervert:

tl;dr ALL HAIL THE SECOND BEST SPACE MADNESS, LOOK YE FOR SALVATION WITHIN THE ROCK.

edit: Also I've been Fuel Ratting and that's pretty fun too.

How much are you getting per hour with mining?

I've been able to get 2.5 to 3 MCr/hr doing single hop trade runs (9 minutes per roundtrip) in an Asp at minimal risk, so I figure once I get a python I can at least double that to 5-6 MCr/hr. Still haven't found anything that beats that.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hanging out in Empire space. Got a contract to kill Vince Clortho. Amazing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Romes128 posted:

Hanging out in Empire space. Got a contract to kill Vince Clortho. Amazing.

That is loving awesome! GOTY!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

sincx posted:

How much are you getting per hour with mining?

I've been able to get 2.5 to 3 MCr/hr doing single hop trade runs (9 minutes per roundtrip) in an Asp at minimal risk, so I figure once I get a python I can at least double that to 5-6 MCr/hr. Still haven't found anything that beats that.

:psypop:

What's your build? What kind of ore? What station?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

sincx posted:

so I figure once I get a python I can at least double that to 5-6 MCr/hr. Still haven't found anything that beats that.

Can confirm up to 7, with some luck with rolled missions. You can probably do more with a more optimized build - mine was low on the cargo, in favor of a big shield.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

SciFiDownBeat posted:

:psypop:

What's your build? What kind of ore? What station?

Asp with 116t cargo capacity.

I use whatever is the most convenient route from:
https://eddb.io/trade/loops

Which is right now trading indium and imperial slaves between
Fischer Orbital in Timbarichs
And
Safdie Terminal in Orang

3,300 profit per ton roundtrip times 116 tons times 6.7 roundtrips per hour is about 2.5 MCr.

Edit: there needs to be a bank in ED somehow. If I can borrow the money for a Python, I can make money to pay it back so much more quickly.

Edit 2: Ahh screw it, I'll switch to a Type-7 and suffer until I get a Python.

sincx fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 27, 2015

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

sincx posted:

Asp with 116t cargo capacity.

I use whatever is the most convenient route from:
https://eddb.io/trade/loops

Which is right now trading indium and imperial slaves between
Fischer Orbital in Timbarichs
And
Safdie Terminal in Orang

3,300 profit per ton roundtrip times 116 tons times 6.7 roundtrips per hour is about 2.5 MCr.

Edit: there needs to be a bank in ED somehow. If I can borrow the money for a Python, I can make money to pay it back so much more quickly.

Edit 2: Ahh screw it, I'll switch to a Type-7 and suffer until I get a Python.
Something to keep in mind about the Type-7 is that it's limited to a Large landing pad so you can't land on outposts and might end up making significantly less credits per hour even with the larger hold. It also handles like a cargo container with thrusters (which is literally what it is) and as much as I dislike the Asp's handling the Type-7 is worse.

e: I dunno if you managed to buy an Imperial Clipper during the discounts but it's usually slightly better than the Type-7 because it handles better and can take slightly more cargo.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So I'm pretty new to the game and am just flying around in the starter ship and getting constantly blown up and having to restart after getting pulled from super-cruise.

Is there a decent way to start to build up a bit of cash? I'd like to do something that allows me to get a general feel for the game while actually making forward progress, but every mission I pick up results in me getting killed when I'm nearly done.

Should I just find a quick traderoute and buy/sell things?

(Also, is there a steam group goons hang out in or something?)

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Discretion is the better part of Valor.

Shift all your power to engines and run like hell.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

crazkylo posted:

So I'm pretty new to the game and am just flying around in the starter ship and getting constantly blown up and having to restart after getting pulled from super-cruise.

Is there a decent way to start to build up a bit of cash? I'd like to do something that allows me to get a general feel for the game while actually making forward progress, but every mission I pick up results in me getting killed when I'm nearly done.

Check the OP for the PGS. We have an IRC, dunno about a steam group though.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

crazkylo posted:

I did smuggling missions until I had enough cash to get some multi cannons. Then I did combat missions, until I could afford an Eagle, then a Cobra. Combat with the starter ship and equipment is hard and you'll die a lot.

On a related note I keep getting "Eradicate unauthorized trade" missions and have like 100k in bounties in one system cause apparently the Empire fuckin' hates them. So much Empire rep. I had three of the same exact missions going at the same time. For the 6 kills I had to do, it counted for each mission. I'm sure that'll get patched out or something.

Also if you get interdicted (pulled out of supercruise), just throttle down and submit. You get the really quick FSD cooldown so you can immediately jump back into supercruise instead of having to wait if you fail.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Romes128 posted:

I did smuggling missions until I had enough cash to get some multi cannons. Then I did combat missions, until I could afford an Eagle, then a Cobra. Combat with the starter ship and equipment is hard and you'll die a lot.

On a related note I keep getting "Eradicate unauthorized trade" missions and have like 100k in bounties in one system cause apparently the Empire fuckin' hates them. So much Empire rep. I had three of the same exact missions going at the same time. For the 6 kills I had to do, it counted for each mission. I'm sure that'll get patched out or something.

Also if you get interdicted (pulled out of supercruise), just throttle down and submit. You get the really quick FSD cooldown so you can immediately jump back into supercruise instead of having to wait if you fail.

Kill missions have worked like that for as long as I can remember. I got to viscount with the empire by stacking a ton of "go kill X number of pirates" missions and then running and completing them all in about 20 minutes, because as you said, one kill counts for all the missions simultaneously.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Astroniomix posted:

Kill missions have worked like that for as long as I can remember. I got to viscount with the empire by stacking a ton of "go kill X number of pirates" missions and then running and completing them all in about 20 minutes, because as you said, one kill counts for all the missions simultaneously.

Sothis smuggling may have died down, but it still owns for doing this.

Ceos is the only inhabited system near by so you can reroll the board for 50 "Kill pirates" missions and do them all at once.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Is there more to rerolling the BB than logging in and out of open/solo/private group? I just went through all three and had the same board in each. I'm not sure what else there is to getting it to change, or if it's just bad luck in this case.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sard posted:

Is there more to rerolling the BB than logging in and out of open/solo/private group? I just went through all three and had the same board in each. I'm not sure what else there is to getting it to change, or if it's just bad luck in this case.

You have to bounce between solo and private, going back into the same mode gives you the same board. Going into open works as long as another player isn't in the instance with you, otherwise they will hold the instance open and the board won't reroll.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Astroniomix posted:

You have to bounce between solo and private, going back into the same mode gives you the same board. Going into open works as long as another player isn't in the instance with you, otherwise they will hold the instance open and the board won't reroll.

Not that it matters hugely, since the boards are on a 5 minute timer for refreshes anyways. It may not refresh the entire board, but some missions will be added/bumped off. I usually just check both and flip every 5 minutes.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Astroniomix posted:

That's what I was doing, but the more I did it the more the board seemed to stick between modes. At it's worst it was like I mentioned, the same board for open, solo, and private. I tried bouncing solo to private and back, solo to open to private to open and repeated, solo to open and back, no combination would unstick it until some arbitrary timer refresh happened. Usually, though, it's not the same board between all three and is merely one mode sticking to its own- even solo and private. Would it help to try bouncing between different private groups?

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Wow that stream of the expansion didn't generate a single comment in here then?

It looks pretty boring tbh, and even more content/variety starved than the base game.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Joystick/HOTAS talk: Should I take the short route with the X52 pro? Or save up for the Thrustmaster Warthog? And any pedal recommendations? I'm looking at my desk trying to figure out where I'll put a hotas set up

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Thronde posted:

Joystick/HOTAS talk: Should I take the short route with the X52 pro? Or save up for the Thrustmaster Warthog? And any pedal recommendations? I'm looking at my desk trying to figure out where I'll put a hotas set up

I bought a Thrustmaster X for 44€. It is a very serviceable beginners HOTAS and perfect to judge whether it is worth investing more later on. Maybe try that first? Also no need for pedals with it, it has a seesaw lever on the thrust that can replace pedals.

(I also read not to buy Saitek products due to shoddy quality)

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

I bought a Thrustmaster X for 44€. It is a very serviceable beginners HOTAS and perfect to judge whether it is worth investing more later on. Maybe try that first? Also no need for pedals with it, it has a seesaw lever on the thrust that can replace pedals.

(I also read not to buy Saitek products due to shoddy quality)

Sweet, thanks. Going shopping now.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Thronde posted:

I love my current X52 pro, but the one before it failed within a week. The current one has withstood plenty of abuse for months and is permanently affixed to a plank now. It's probably unwise to use a joystick without having some form of headtracking prepared, though- POV hats blow, and you'll be losing the smooth awareness of mouselook unless you're one of those mutants who can operate a joystick in one hand and throttle/mouse in the other.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
the mouse thumbstick on the X52 Pro throttle is pretty sweet for looking around, but obviously a headtracking setup would be better.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Seems a lot of people got lucky and got some good X52s before MC bought them out. I still have one from when they first came out and it works fine. The reviews seem to be either they work or they suck, I'd avoid them and save for the Warthog.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Aight, I can add trackIR to the list too. Been wanting one anyway. VR headsets make me motion sick, which is odd because it takes a lot of riding in a back seat to get motion sickness. I might still get pedals later for ya control to make landing easier, as I'll still need binds/axis/whatever for ascent/descent thrust

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Or maybe even CH products. They're not fancy but everyone who owns one swears by them.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Romes128 posted:

Or maybe even CH products. They're not fancy but everyone who owns one swears by them.

CH products? For head tracker stuff? Never heard of them. I have heard horror stories about trying to work trackIR to be just how you like.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thronde posted:

CH products? For head tracker stuff? Never heard of them. I have heard horror stories about trying to work trackIR to be just how you like.

For the stick and throttle.
http://www.chproducts.com/Fighterstick-v13-p-181.html#4

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Also everybody who spends all their money on flight sim stuff should get a Buttkicker Gamer 2. Being able to feel your engine hum, cannon fire and explosions around you is loving cool as balls. This goes double if you play War Thunder or any other plane/tank game.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
That sounds great can't wait to get a boner and shoot cum on my monitor while i play games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
So the priority order is...

360 controller
Cheap HOTAS
TrackIR
Proper HOTAS
Pedals
Buttkicker Gamer 2