Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

theultimo posted:

Yeah it's all about the experience.

I thought we got rid of pop in, but Halo says otherwise

yeah, also mgsv on ps4, and every game on consoles

also holy poo poo

Nasgate posted:

I understand that everyone has their preferences, but the latter footage (destiny?) Is way more smooth and enjoyable. Vs the unnaturally snappy crap of Stalker. Might as well play quake for the millionth time. But neither of those have to do with the framerate.

theultimo posted:

Yeah it's all about the experience.

I thought we got rid of pop in, but Halo says otherwise
you guys have to be kidding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

The FPS police is the stupidest poo poo to happen to video games.

theultimo posted:

It's what happens when the gaming community gets cancer
it's just raw information, you don't need to be so defensive

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'd like to see a Platinum game where it's entirely possible to complete it without any attacking input from you, the player. As in, you can still dodge and parry, and attack if you want, but every battle could be finished with deescalation. A diplomatic Platinum game.

I would aim to pure platinum every chapter in that theoretical pacifist Platinum game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nasgate posted:

I understand that everyone has their preferences, but the latter footage (destiny?) Is way more smooth and enjoyable. Vs the unnaturally snappy crap of Stalker. Might as well play quake for the millionth time. But neither of those have to do with the framerate.

Where is the pop-in in that Stalker footage? There is an unrelated stutter when the scope is brought up the first time and that's all I really noticed :confused:

Smoth as butter tho.

E: Okay I just watched the Halo 5 vid from a few pages ago and the pop-in is stupidly jarring. Keeping everything at their distant low quality is a better solution than that. wow.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 27, 2015

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

alsoa gin doing stupid res scaling tricks mean that when thtings get heavy, far away object including enemies can and will become basicaiklly impossible to track or see

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

program666 posted:

yeah, also mgsv on ps4, and every game on consoles

also holy poo poo

you guys have to be kidding

the lelvel of pop in in halo 5 is far beyodn anything elsle, its not just "lol consoloe"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

precision posted:

why is byuakuya fat now

theres a reason but you dont find out for a while

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Not to mention the Animation of all things is less then 60fps. It's like stop motion.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Stux posted:

the lelvel of pop in in halo 5 is far beyodn anything elsle, its not just "lol consoloe"
Oh sure, didn't mean to imply otherwise

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

program666 posted:

it's just raw information, you don't need to be so defensive

It's the fact that it's used as a pass/fail for games that's the problem.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

It's the fact that it's used as a pass/fail for games that's the problem.

It is?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if a gmame running a t 30 fps is a point which makes a game unplayable to you, you're the one thah ts broken

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Steam is full of this

I won't buy any game where the devs are clueless or lazy enough to intentionally limit their games framerate to 30 fps for no good reason and for no "benefit" other then to ♥♥♥♥ off the people who buy it and drive potential buyers away. 

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

The FPS police is the stupidest poo poo to happen to video games.

Why is it bad to want 60fps, a level of quality regularly achieved on the first gen of 3D consoles 20 years ago.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Stux posted:

if a gmame running a t 30 fps is a point which makes a game unplayable to you, you're the one thah ts broken

Not unplayable but certainly a factor

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

In Training posted:

Why is it bad to want 60fps, a level of quality regularly achieved on the first gen of 3D consoles 20 years ago.

its bad ot declalre anything running at less than 60 fpos completely unplayable and acitng like it s some crime commited by devs

also any console can achieve 60 fps on anything if u crank the graphcis down enough. except the vast majority of people a re happy with 30 fps outside of fighting games and games like cod, becuase 30 fps is not an issue.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

program666 posted:

Not unplayable but certainly a factor

no

program666
Aug 22, 2013

theultimo posted:

Steam is full of this

I won't buy any game where the devs are clueless or lazy enough to intentionally limit their games framerate to 30 fps for no good reason and for no "benefit" other then to ♥♥♥♥ off the people who buy it and drive potential buyers away. 

It's a good thing to push for better gaming but this guy is clueless

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well yeah I play plenty of 30fps games too. That makes sense

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Where is the pop-in in that Stalker footage? There is an unrelated stutter when the scope is brought up the first time and that's all I really noticed :confused:

Smoth as butter tho.

E: Okay I just watched the Halo 5 vid from a few pages ago and the pop-in is stupidly jarring. Keeping everything at their distant low quality is a better solution than that. wow.

The unrealistic speed and terrible animating make the stalker clip hella jarring. At that point just get rid of the arms/animation and do the gun view old school fps do.

If there's ever a OPM game there needs to be a "dream tutorial" and it needs to include a sale shopping minigame. But then you never get to play that minigame again.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Stux posted:

its bad ot declalre anything running at less than 60 fpos completely unplayable and acitng like it s some crime commited by devs

also any console can achieve 60 fps on anything if u crank the graphcis down enough. except the vast majority of people a re happy with 30 fps outside of fighting games and games like cod, becuase 30 fps is not an issue.

Preferring graphics over playability is foolishness

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

In Training posted:

Well yeah I play plenty of 30fps games too. That makes sense

the fps police is a literal group of people who decalre anything that runs at 30 fps as a rip off, unplayable and "cancer"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I can tell the difference if you put the same game running at 30 and 60 in front of me, but when I'm actually playing all I notice is if it's stable or not.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
frame rates are everything, that's why ocarina of time is the worst game ever for being capped at 20 fps, and majoras mask is an even worse game

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

its almost like the internet has lots of retarded people

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

program666 posted:

Preferring graphics over playability is foolishness

not really. do i care if a jrpg or a singlepalyer based third person gmae is at 60 fps? lol no, pump those graphics up. do i car eif cod or streeet fighter is 60fps? hell yes theyre both fast paced and based on tight inputs and they are deved to a 60 fps target according ly.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Instant Sunrise posted:

frame rates are everything, that's why ocarina of time is the worst game ever for being capped at 20 fps, and majoras mask is an even worse game

tbf the 3DS version of OOT looks way smoother since it runs at a stable 30

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
35 fps is enough for anybody

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

the fps police is a literal group of people who decalre anything that runs at 30 fps as a rip off, unplayable and "cancer"

yeah they've got games from 20 years ago on their do not buy list. i forget the examples but they're mad about some really seminal games from the 90's 00's being 30fps on pc.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I just discovered in the last couple of weeks how much Spelunky loving owns. Are there any other rogue-lite or whatever games that own this hard?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Motto posted:

I can tell the difference if you put the same game running at 30 and 60 in front of me, but when I'm actually playing all I notice is if it's stable or not.
I found Dark souls pretty awful without mods right of the bat, but then again I went in knowingly so maybe I was biased (or maybe it was that blurring effect, people were paid to crate and implement something comically awlful like DS's blurring effect lololol)

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Stux posted:

I wanna link to the manifesto : p

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Adam Bowen posted:

I just discovered in the last couple of weeks how much Spelunky loving owns. Are there any other rogue-lite or whatever games that own this hard?

rogue legacy, maybe binding of issacc based on ur tolerance for dumbness

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah they've got games from 20 years ago on their do not buy list. i forget the examples but they're mad about some really seminal games from the 90's 00's being 30fps on pc.

There is a do not buy list?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm a big fan of Isaac but I really hate the aesthetic. I still have like 100 hours in it though, really great game and there's an expansion coming out in 2 days.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Binding of Isaac is pretty good but I am still mad that I paid for the janky original version and then they expect $15 more for the improved one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Adam Bowen posted:

binding of issac, rogue legacy, crypt of the necrodancer, galak z, are all good to very good.
only rogue legacy is an action platformer like spelunky though and spelunky is way better platformer than it. (RL's draw is upgrading your family's resources to get stronger but has some slow and basic play mechanics when you go on a run)

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 27, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

program666 posted:

There is a do not buy list?

yeah the FPS police is a real thing and serves as a steam "do not buy" list.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah the FPS police is a real thing and servers as a steam "do not buy" list.

I don't think it does bro, where the hell do you get this idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah the FPS police is a real thing and serves as a steam "do not buy" list.

To be specific, it's a curator page called The Framerate Police. (Would link but mobile steam)

Here's a good comment.
"for example, red alert 3 is 30fps in game, but the mouse cursor is 60, so playability hasnt been destroyed"

• Locked thread