Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

I'd rather just wear long sleeve button ups if I have to follow a dress code. Short sleeve dress shirts make me think of Geek Squad, dirtball appliance salesmen, or Jehova's witnesses. Then polo shirts make me have flashbacks to working retail. Ugh.

I used to really hate on short-sleeved button-down shirts, but as long as you're in a casual environment, whatever. Just don't wear a tie with them. And probably get something that's either patterned or at least a color other than white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

dogstile posted:

Oh yeah, I agree. I just have an issue of always being really hot and I have the wonderful paradox of my long sleeve shirts either rolling up far enough and being baggy as hell (looking like poo poo in the process) or not being baggy but then I can't roll them far up my arms because they're too big (downside of keeping fit).

I'm gonna just deal with the heat and buy a shitton of deodorant. Still, pretty happy that its the worst of my complaints about the new place.

Roll them up, then put the shirt on.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Roll them up, then put the shirt on.

Just got home and tried this with the smaller ones, how i've not realised that before I have no idea :suicide:

Thanks, you just saved me a couple hours of shopping.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It sounds dumb, but it works. I forget how I found it out, probably vacation or laundry day.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
'Hmm. Today I have to co-host an important training session with senior management. I need to convery a very professional image. In that case, I better wear my very best heavy metal t-shirt and my shiniest pentagram necklace. And this new conditioner makes my shoulder-length hair look full of body, just like Hurley from Lost'

Looks in mirror....

'Yup, I am going to earn the respect of those senior business advisors. I am just like them'

...Thoughts from an IT guy last week.

Seriously: you're presenting to a room full of three-piece suit wearing execs and you couldn't even muster up a polo shirt?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I finally got to have my first budget talk with my boss. It went okay but I can see that like everything else it's going to drag on for a long time. The one thing that struck me is the line item for PCs for new employees. The head of HR was unable to give me even a rough estimate so based on what I've seen the last seven months I decided 8 new FTEs was reasonable. My boss saw that and said "In 2016 we expect to have a net loss in headcount."

That's weird. We've had a ton of growth this year and in my industry you generally don't ever get smaller, especially once you've passed the 50 user mark. They were following the same pattern as the last place. Business is good and there's big plans for next year.

Now the growth in staff (like the last place) has been uncontrolled and unplanned, but that's the way they make all their decisions outside of the core business. Willy-nilly. But to actually go through 2016 and wind up with fewer people than we started with is strange.

Of course my first thought is that I'll be one of those reductions but for now I'll keep working and collecting that paycheck, and looking for more projects to learn from and enhance my resume.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

spog posted:

'Hmm. Today I have to co-host an important training session with senior management. I need to convery a very professional image. In that case, I better wear my very best heavy metal t-shirt and my shiniest pentagram necklace. And this new conditioner makes my shoulder-length hair look full of body, just like Hurley from Lost'

Looks in mirror....

'Yup, I am going to earn the respect of those senior business advisors. I am just like them'

...Thoughts from an IT guy last week.

Seriously: you're presenting to a room full of three-piece suit wearing execs and you couldn't even muster up a polo shirt?

This is my director, just less conditioner in his hair.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I finally got to have my first budget talk with my boss. It went okay but I can see that like everything else it's going to drag on for a long time. The one thing that struck me is the line item for PCs for new employees. The head of HR was unable to give me even a rough estimate so based on what I've seen the last seven months I decided 8 new FTEs was reasonable. My boss saw that and said "In 2016 we expect to have a net loss in headcount."

That's weird. We've had a ton of growth this year and in my industry you generally don't ever get smaller, especially once you've passed the 50 user mark. They were following the same pattern as the last place. Business is good and there's big plans for next year.

Now the growth in staff (like the last place) has been uncontrolled and unplanned, but that's the way they make all their decisions outside of the core business. Willy-nilly. But to actually go through 2016 and wind up with fewer people than we started with is strange.

Of course my first thought is that I'll be one of those reductions but for now I'll keep working and collecting that paycheck, and looking for more projects to learn from and enhance my resume.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Potato Salad posted:

I think the word you're looking for is filters.
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6579?hl=en

I know that but I was more asking 'how do you set up a filter that says subject not blank but body is'?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

I lost it when I saw this. My dispatcher and purchasing guy (sitting in same room due to office renos) can't figure out what's wrong with me

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AT&T having problems for you guys today? Dropping calls like crazy and they're lit up on downdetector.com

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I lost it when I saw this
Holy gently caress, so did I. My son just came barreling down the stairs to see if I'd hurt myself or something.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm an IT guy at a small office. I'm self-taught with large gaps in my knowledge, so we use outside people for our server stuff. We bought a server off of one company because they were much cheaper than another company (always the best way to do things). Wanted the same company that does our server monitoring and network configuration to integrate the new server (so ideally they'd do it without loving poo poo up).

Configuration dude says that the new server is whack; it's got two VMs on it, and three partitions: two 900GB partitions, one with the OS and two VMs, and the other with not anything really, and a third one with ~230GB that's empty. He says that this is a problem in that we'll have to be splitting things up in the file server VM. Addtionally, he's mentioned that it's a bad idea to use SATA drives on a server, or use a software controller instead of a hardware controller.

Server-maker dude says "After pulling up the documentation and talking with server-maker-dude, there should be no partitioning necessary and the machine is already configured with the correct partitions and drive space.

You have a single host with approx. 1.75TB of usable storage space (another 1.75T of storage is in the server but is being used as the RAID 1 mirror) and inside of that storage space is 2 VM's each with "small-ish" virtual C drives intended to host the operating system and possibly application services. If you would like to expand the storage of the virtual machines, you can add a virtual "D:\" drive to each one and allocate as much spaces as you need (within the limits of the available space on the host 1.75TB drive(s)).

Virtualization technology, Hyper-V, is a highly agile and effective way to implement server systems as it allows for on the fly backups, snapshots, and migration of servers and is our standard best practice and is quickly becoming an industry wide best practice."

Server-maker also insists that a software controller and SATA drives are fine.

I pull up the computer on the server, and it sure as poo poo looks like Configuration-dude has it right; I've got a C-drive and a D-drive each with 900GB, and an E-drive with 230GB. But now I'm starting to doubt myself, and think "is there something I don't know about hard drive partitioning, that this looks like it does?" I'm logged into the physical server, not one of the VMs. I'm inclined to believe Configuration dude, because I've been working with him a lot longer, and Server-maker-dude has a history of flat-out lying, but I also don't want to be wrong about this. I was also under the impression that best-practices are to put the physical OS on its own partition; and then you'd reserve a much smaller partition for a SQL server (we have some billing software we need to run on one of the VMs), and then a huge-rear end partition for document storage. Getting so much static between these two, though, I'm starting to doubt what loving direction the sun sets in.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Yeah that sounds all kinds of wrong,
On the physical server I'd have two partitions, one smaller one for the OS of the server itself and a second one to store the VM disks.

For your SQL VM I'd still create a second virtual disk for D: but that will be stored on the same partition as its OS virtual disk on the physical server.

Depending on the performance you're expecting you might want SAS instead of SATA disks too, you're probably better off dealing with a server vendor directly instead, you can generally tell your account manager what you're looking for and they can help you spec up a system without being incompetent like your server guy.

theperminator fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 27, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

theperminator posted:

Yeah that sounds all kinds of wrong,
On the physical server I'd have two partitions, one smaller one for the OS of the server itself and a second one to store the VM disks.

For your SQL VM I'd still create a second virtual disk for D: but that will be stored on the same partition as its OS virtual disk on the physical server.

Depending on the performance you're expecting you might want SAS instead of SATA disks too, you're probably better off dealing with a server vendor directly instead, you can generally tell your account manager what you're looking for and they can help you spec up a system without being incompetent like your server guy.

This dude is right. Also, I'm guessing by software vs hardware controller you mean RAID controller? Yes, avoid software based controllers wherever possible, you lose a LOT of functionality and performance hits, trust me, I support 2000+ servers that all have a software based RAID controller, it's horrible :(

*edit*
My post was hasty, we deal with a lovely intel software RAID controller on less than optimal equipment. One of the few requests we had of our client when they procured equipment on their last hardware refresh, was to get physical RAID cards again. They opted to save 50-100 per machine and not get the physical cards. I'm sure someone got a bonus for that, while we're stuck dealing with the trash.
v----

MF_James fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 28, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
IME, softraid (mdraid, zfs, etc) is ok. Fakeraid is pure evil, though

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Pissing me off: after all my hand wringing about building my first computer without assistance, I succeeded in not frying any parts that i can tell so far.

Problem is, I don't have a serial keyboard on hand and the install screen won't acknowledge my wireless one so I can start the win7 install.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Pissing me off: after all my hand wringing about building my first computer without assistance, I succeeded in not frying any parts that i can tell so far.

Problem is, I don't have a serial keyboard on hand and the install screen won't acknowledge my wireless one so I can start the win7 install.

Go spend 5 bux and pick one up real quick? I mean, everyone should have a spare wired KB+M just in case they run out of batteries or some poo poo.

Don't look for a serial keyboard tho, you won't find one. They haven't been made in 20+ years.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If it weren't past 1 in the morning and I hadn't literally emptied my bank account to buy the parts I would. Either way, I managed to work it out. Apparently it was in the wrong color USB slot.

Now what's pissing me off is the install disk apparently not having the right drivers :ughh:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 28, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Potato Salad posted:

poo poo depressing me: how bad the Spiceworks Community has become.

On the FBI saying "We can't decrypt your cryptolockered stuff. If you need the data back, you unfortunately have to pay."
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1257803-fbi-s-advice-on-ransomware-just-pay-the-ransom?page=1

The bitching and moaning in that loving thread about "The FBI is incompetent!" "Worst advice ever!" "'Murica gobbermint so bad" is pissing me off. If in the back of someone's mind there's a feeling that the FBI will swoop in and find the people that crypto'd your environment and make them pay, get out. There's literally nothing the FBI can do. All the science fiction novels that feature cybercriminal organizations / individuals who are virtually untouchable given the size and anonymity available on the futuristic scifi internet? Yeah, you're witnessing the birth of that environment now.

If you don't have backups, kill yourselves. So many people in that loving thread expect Daddy FBI to do their jobs for them. Do I remember a time when the Spiceworks Community was harder / better than this? I can't be sure, but I'm fairly sure that whatever the starting point was, it's definitely gotten worse. Ugh.
One of the reasons FireEye and FoxIT were able to set up their Decrypt Cryptolocker webpagein the first place was due to the FBI seizure of some of the C&C servers used for Cryptolocker and a botnet, wherein one or more of the early Cryptolocker private keys were leaked to FireEye. If the FBI seized more of those servers, and there's no reason to doubt they haven't, they'd potentially have more of the private keys which could be shared with the infosec community to keep Decrypt Cryptolocker or another service relevant. I'm sure there are actual laws about evidence that prevent them from doing this, but that's why they're complaining about the FBI in particular.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
In our ongoing office cleanup, I found a copy of Autocad LT 2011 and Adobe Creative Suite 4 Production Premium in the electronics recycling, both with standalone licenses. I'm not an engineer or an artist, so it looks like I can afford christmas this year.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Now what's pissing me off is the install disk apparently not having the right drivers :ughh:

Win7 is 6 years old. USB3 didn't exist. Use a newer version of Windows if you want out-of-box support for modern hardware.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Pissing me off: When sub-menus of programs lock the rest of the gui until you close the window. In this case, I've popped out a window of a windows update details for Onedrive. Now that I have this handy little window with the details of this particular update, it would be nice to be able to click into the "Installed Updates". BUT NOPE, the whole window is locked out unless I close this other window.

On another note, has anyone's one drive for business been loving up and saying "credentials needed" for files and not syncing?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Coredump posted:

On another note, has anyone's one drive for business been loving up and saying "credentials needed" for files and not syncing?

Just started happening for me

Very reassuring as we've just migrated and I assumed I'd screwed something up

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

evol262 posted:

Win7 is 6 years old.

This still freaks me out

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
WDS sucks at deploying USB 3.0 drivers on Win7 too, or maybe I just suck at it

evol262 posted:

Win7 is 6 years old. USB3 didn't exist. Use a newer version of Windows if you want out-of-box support for modern hardware.

Feels like longer than that honestly. I was still on Superior64 six years ago.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

spog posted:

Just started happening for me

Very reassuring as we've just migrated and I assumed I'd screwed something up

I'm suspecting some sort of windows update that has gone out has screwed things.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
So I need a reality check to see if I am being a big baby about something. I work a job that is pretty much overworking me, too few people, too many promises to customers, etc. One of the challenges is I have an old computer, and with newer software, plus the monitoring stuff they have installed, my laptop slows to a crawl half the time. The obvious solution is to get a new one, and wonder of wonders, I have a brand new laptop from my company sitting on my desk.

The problem is this: I am remote, and I asked my manager if I could take 30 minutes offline to get the new computer set up and my files transferred over. His statement was "as long as all your cases are updated." My cases are never all updated. Every time I am half caught up they dump 20 more on me. My day doesn't end when I am caught up, it just stops when I realize I have been working an hour or more past my scheduled time and at a certain point I just tell myself stuff can wait.

Since I am already working more than an 8 hour day, I refuse to take any more of my time to deal with the laptop. Realistically, if I have 30 minutes to work on this, I should be working on cases. I worry if I let folks know that I set up my new laptop, then I am implicitly saying I am caught up, which I am not. I also realize that this is the stupid crazy of this job showing through, and I need to get out, but that is not going to happen before 2016.

Do I need to give them more of my time to get this set up, or should I keep with my old crappy laptop?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Coredump posted:

I'm suspecting some sort of windows update that has gone out has screwed things.

Our IT guy randomly waved a dead chicken over it and it seems to have started working.

Probably just a glitch in the matrix.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So I need a reality check to see if I am being a big baby about something. I work a job that is pretty much overworking me, too few people, too many promises to customers, etc. One of the challenges is I have an old computer, and with newer software, plus the monitoring stuff they have installed, my laptop slows to a crawl half the time. The obvious solution is to get a new one, and wonder of wonders, I have a brand new laptop from my company sitting on my desk.

The problem is this: I am remote, and I asked my manager if I could take 30 minutes offline to get the new computer set up and my files transferred over. His statement was "as long as all your cases are updated." My cases are never all updated. Every time I am half caught up they dump 20 more on me. My day doesn't end when I am caught up, it just stops when I realize I have been working an hour or more past my scheduled time and at a certain point I just tell myself stuff can wait.

Since I am already working more than an 8 hour day, I refuse to take any more of my time to deal with the laptop. Realistically, if I have 30 minutes to work on this, I should be working on cases. I worry if I let folks know that I set up my new laptop, then I am implicitly saying I am caught up, which I am not. I also realize that this is the stupid crazy of this job showing through, and I need to get out, but that is not going to happen before 2016.

Do I need to give them more of my time to get this set up, or should I keep with my old crappy laptop?

You've got two choices:

1) wait until the end of the day when you'd otherwise be done, minus half an hour, and set it up then

2) just set it up now, you're never going to be caught up and your boss knows it.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Volmarias posted:

You've got two choices:

1) wait until the end of the day when you'd otherwise be done, minus half an hour, and set it up then

2) just set it up now, you're never going to be caught up and your boss knows it.

And taking a break from your normal tasks to set it up, will save you a lot of time in the future.

If it's just a straight copy, start it when you go for lunch, and finish whatever is left after lunch. Not saying you should do anything with it during lunch, just let it copy on itself.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Dunno-Lars posted:

And taking a break from your normal tasks to set it up, will save you a lot of time in the future.

If it's just a straight copy, start it when you go for lunch, and finish whatever is left after lunch. Not saying you should do anything with it during lunch, just let it copy on itself.

By lunch, do you mean that food I eat while I am working? I'm in the US, and salary, and work in a metric'ed environment. The other issue is I am remote. If I were to go offline, or not be immediately available if there was a problem, it could be bad.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

By lunch, do you mean that food I eat while I am working? I'm in the US, and salary, and work in a metric'ed environment. The other issue is I am remote. If I were to go offline, or not be immediately available if there was a problem, it could be bad.

OK, do it at the end of the day then.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

spog posted:

Our IT guy randomly waved a dead chicken over it and it seems to have started working.

Probably just a glitch in the matrix.

I found this for people using onedrive for business https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/148/t/413709
Apparently the answer is KB3085566 is bad bidness.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

If you work somewhere where results matter, the time savings will speak for themselves. A faster computer can save you at least 30 mins in wasted time by the end of the day

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Go spend 5 bux and pick one up real quick? I mean, everyone should have a spare wired KB+M just in case they run out of batteries or some poo poo.

Don't look for a serial keyboard tho, you won't find one. They haven't been made in 20+ years.

USB is a serial protocol :3:

(Serial as in RS232 has never been a thing for keyboards, that was mice)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

feedmegin posted:

Yeah but who calls them that?? Call it usb.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

feedmegin posted:

DIN and PS/2 keyboards were serial devices :eng101:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

feedmegin posted:

Never say never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Apparently tons of people who don't know what they're talking about think "serial" means "everything that's not usb".

Serial (i.e RS232) keyboards do exist. They were never used on PCs, but older Sun keyboards are serial, and you can buy serial keyboards for industrial uses.