Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

LordAdakos posted:

INCORRECT ASSUMPTION.Though I did tome my rev to 80 so i have 0 extra points.

I've got 30-50 on each of my other characters.

Are you offering ?

Sure. Send me your login details and I'll gladly power level the characters that you don't actually play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

ItBurns posted:

Sure. Send me your login details and I'll gladly power level the characters that you don't actually play.

Man, you are all about terrible assumptions today. Those are the 4 characters I mainly play.
Sorry ItBurns, but with logic powers like that I don't think you can be trusted with sensitive login information. Thanks though!

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

LordAdakos posted:

Man, you are all about terrible assumptions today. Those are the 4 characters I mainly play.
Sorry ItBurns, but with logic powers like that I don't think you can be trusted with sensitive login information. Thanks though!

drat I have never been so owned before. now I know why you are called Lord and I am definitely burned!!!

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

ItBurns posted:

drat I have never been so owned before. now I know why you are called Lord and I am definitely burned!!!

:boom: M-M-M-Monster Burn.

But seriously, thank you for the offer. I wasn't trying to offend you. Just gently poking fun. I've got nothing but love for you

To un-derail the thread ... How about those glider skins? Is the HoT skin too gaudy or not too gaudy enough?

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

LordAdakos posted:

:boom: M-M-M-Monster Burn.

But seriously, thank you for the offer. I wasn't trying to offend you. Just gently poking fun. I've got nothing but love for you

To un-derail the thread ... How about those glider skins? Is the HoT skin too gaudy or not too gaudy enough?

I like my HoT skin. I don't consider it too gaudy or not gaudy enough; I think it fits well with the theme of the zones.

Of course, it doesn't match any of the outfits I typically like wearing on my very much gaudy mesmer, so I'm going to have to go fashion shopping to fix that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Should I be completing maps as I level or just moving on as I outlevel hearts? My norn necromancer's at 17 I think, in the second norn zone after 100%ing the first one.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

Ciaphas posted:

Should I be completing maps as I level or just moving on as I outlevel hearts? My norn necromancer's at 17 I think, in the second norn zone after 100%ing the first one.

It's up to you, in my opinion. When I leveled my characters I just moved on to the new zones, but there are benefits to completing maps (reward chest box, won't have to go back when you feel like getting your map meta, etc) if you don't mind putting up with jumping puzzles and what not. I found trying to get all the vistas while leveling negatively affected my XP efficiency so I didn't do them, but I'm generally terrible at jumping puzzles and platforming so the same may not apply to you.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

You'll want to get the Hero Points from all the zones, and getting waypoints as you level will save you headaches later on when you want to do guild missions, world completion, or need some random item from a vendor in the middle of the zone. I wouldn't worry too much about 100%ing every zone if it means doing some tedious heart.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

So it'll be a little while before I actually can check for myself, can someone post a screen of the dragonhunter gauntlets? I feel like the glove slot's been the hardest to fill on my guardian's ensemble.

edit: Re: zone completion, I try to do all the waypoints the first pass through but everything else I'll leave behind for later as I level.

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 27, 2015

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Your Computer posted:

New demon race is looking pretty slick.

(without wings edited in)

That's rad. I saw a heavy armor character with those wings that looked like a demon whatever warlock thing from WoW.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

Ciaphas posted:

I usually complete a map in its entirety before I move on (though usually I'm leveling in two zones as a lot of times just one isn't enough to make me cap out) because I like the map completion rewards. It's up to you, though, if you're not enjoying yourself in one zone, move on to the next. You can always come back later to finish it.

Currently leveling a revenant the old-fashioned way (with a few tomes here and there) because I want to learn how to play it and my beta experiences with the class were a little... overwhelming. A ton of weapons, skills and traits getting thrown at me made me just spin around in circles, confused, but now I'm enjoying the class a hell of a lot more. I'm doing sword/sword and mace/axe and it's been pretty great. Shiro is my favorite stance except for the meh heal, it has some cool utilities and feels very thief-like without being so squishy (since, y'know, Shiro was an assassin in GW1. It's still slightly ominous to hear the Big Bad from Factions inform me he's come back to fight at my side, too. I killed you a dozen times!).

My Reaper necro is rolling through the HoT zones, doing the story (very good and fun so far, and it feels a lot more immersive as well) and events. It's a lot of fun.

I agree with most of the thread that locking the elite spec behind a shitton of Hero Points was a bit of a mistake (when I say "my Reaper necro" I mean my necro with two full skill lines and one minor Reaper trait, that's all I got so far :smith:) but I don't have real issues with the masteries so far. Being able to do anything on any level 80 to make a mastery progress helps with that. We'll see how I feel about that in a few weeks, though.

My verdict so far: solid expansion. World looks beautiful, the verticality of it is totally amazing, especially once you get updrafts and mushrooms (Tangled Depths is very, very, very deep), and those two things make moving around pretty loving fun. I love it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Schpyder posted:

30 min after server reset.

Is server reset still 8 EST/5 PST? I remember hearing that it changed but I don't remember details.

EDIT: Yes. It is. I googled it.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 27, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cyclical posted:

I usually complete a map in its entirety before I move on (though usually I'm leveling in two zones as a lot of times just one isn't enough to make me cap out) because I like the map completion rewards. It's up to you, though, if you're not enjoying yourself in one zone, move on to the next. You can always come back later to finish it.

Currently leveling a revenant the old-fashioned way (with a few tomes here and there) because I want to learn how to play it and my beta experiences with the class were a little... overwhelming. A ton of weapons, skills and traits getting thrown at me made me just spin around in circles, confused, but now I'm enjoying the class a hell of a lot more. I'm doing sword/sword and mace/axe and it's been pretty great. Shiro is my favorite stance except for the meh heal, it has some cool utilities and feels very thief-like without being so squishy (since, y'know, Shiro was an assassin in GW1. It's still slightly ominous to hear the Big Bad from Factions inform me he's come back to fight at my side, too. I killed you a dozen times!).

Thanks. What do you mean by old-fashioned way, what's the "new-fashioned" way? What are tomes?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks. What do you mean by old-fashioned way, what's the "new-fashioned" way? What are tomes?

You can get Tomes of Knowledge from a variety of sources (daily login rewards and PvP reward tracks in particular). Using one immediately gives you enough XP to gain one level. It's really easy to stockpile Tomes of Knowledge if you do a lot of PvP, so a lot of people are able to powerlevel characters all the way to 80 just using them. The "old-fashioned way" would be leveling by actually going out and doing events and hearts and stuff.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Trebuchet King posted:

So it'll be a little while before I actually can check for myself, can someone post a screen of the dragonhunter gauntlets? I feel like the glove slot's been the hardest to fill on my guardian's ensemble.

edit: Re: zone completion, I try to do all the waypoints the first pass through but everything else I'll leave behind for later as I level.

Edit: the glow is from the revenant, not from the gauntlets.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

PsycheNotFound posted:

I like my HoT skin. I don't consider it too gaudy or not gaudy enough; I think it fits well with the theme of the zones.

Of course, it doesn't match any of the outfits I typically like wearing on my very much gaudy mesmer, so I'm going to have to go fashion shopping to fix that.

Kind of wish they would add glider skins for all the backpacks. The ghoul backpack could extend its arms and flap, the blades and karka could spin like a helicopter, the winters day toy pack could fart snow flakes like a Santa jet pack.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Kind of wish they would add glider skins for all the backpacks. The ghoul backpack could extend its arms and flap, the blades and karka could spin like a helicopter, the winters day toy pack could fart snow flakes like a Santa jet pack.

The jetpack could be an actual jetpack.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

A built the stupid Aetherblade backpack. At least let me fly with it.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Forget backpacks, would it kill them to make some capes?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finally found the perfect name for my elementalist.

Elementalists are hard, okay :negative:

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Your Computer posted:

Finally found the perfect name for my elementalist.

Elementalists are hard, okay :negative:

You've got a lot of great names.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

malhavok posted:

The jetpack could be an actual jetpack.

I would pay the insane amount of gold for the molten jetpack in an instant if it shot flames and poo poo.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/heads-up-iteration-incoming/

quote:

We’re going to update the elite specialization unlock to find a better middle ground by reducing the cost of unlocking every possible ability for an elite specialization from 400 hero points to 250 hero points total.
If you’ve already put more than 250 points into your elite specialization, surplus hero points will be refunded to your character for future use.

Tivac fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 27, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Neato.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Foo!

Or is that a sneak peak of a yet to be posted article?

e : lol, blessed you are the best Tivac.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Yay! well i already did my thief and guardian, but they had world completition, everyone else was starting from zero.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sounds good.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

treizebee posted:

Foo!

Or is that a sneak peak of a yet to be posted article?

I was a bit fast on the post button, it's live now though.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Good change. Means that even if you're starting from zero points you can hop on one of Schpy's trains to get the spec 2/3 unlocked and then just go and do the remaining points that are possible to solo to complete it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yes, this is amazing. Hell yes.

I wonder how far along the 230 points I've already put into it will put me.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
You were so eager to tell us. :3:

For those at work :
The recap is fewer required hero points, refined adventure minigames, and fixed a setting that caused low player population in the new zones

quote:

Heads Up! Iteration Incoming
by Colin Johanson on October 27, 2015

Hey, folks,
It’s been about five days since the launch of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™, and it’s been a really exciting time for all of us at ArenaNet and for the game. We’ve had an incredibly smooth launch with very few major game issues, despite the huge surge of players back into Guild Wars 2 to play all of the new content and features of the expansion! This will go down as the smoothest launch we’ve had in the history of the Guild Wars® franchise.

Because we’ve been able to get through this smooth launch so quickly, we’re able to rapidly move to our favorite part of the live experience at ArenaNet: the chance to iterate on feedback and make the things we’ve shipped even better. This is a huge part of how we work as a company. We might not always get every detail right the first time—I’m not sure you can when you try to innovate—but we do always try to do what’s best for the game and our players through iteration. To that end, we’ll be making some changes in an update today that will address some of the things that have come up as players have dug into Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns.

We’ve had a lot of really positive reactions to our new take on endgame progression with our Mastery system. However, we’ve received some feedback on our elite specialization system, the rate at which elite specializations are unlocked, and how that ties in with the Mastery system.

When we ran our beta events for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, we allowed everyone to instantly access fully unlocked elite specializations with all their skills and abilities so we could get balance and gameplay feedback on them. We’d also always said you’d need to unlock your elite specialization, but we were never explicit on the details of how characters do this and the hero-point costs associated. We always viewed the elite specialization as one of the major rewards in expansion—but between the betas and lack of unlock info, we didn’t do a great job properly aligning expectations on how your elite specialization is earned. This left some players in a position where they expected to have their elite specialization very early on (or immediately!) in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns. Our goal was always to have elite specializations as a part of character progression, but it’s clear that a segment of our players was so excited about the elite specialization system and abilities that they really wanted to experience most of the expansion with them unlocked.

We’re going to update the elite specialization unlock to find a better middle ground by reducing the cost of unlocking every possible ability for an elite specialization from 400 hero points to 250 hero points total. This means you will be able to access them much earlier in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns PvE or World vs. World and fully unlock them much earlier as well. This also means you’ll be able to experience more of the expansion story as your elite specialization earlier on while still maintaining some of our core goal. This should also help players with lots of alts try out more of the elite specializations. If you’ve already put more than 250 points into your elite specialization, surplus hero points will be refunded to your character for future use.

We’ve seen feedback that people love our new Adventure minigames in which you can compete for rewards, experience, and leaderboard standing with your friends. People like them so much, they want to play them more! We’re going to take another pass on adventure availability so you can play them more easily. Most of them are only closed when events that could happen on top of them in an event chain would break the adventure—and we can’t do anything easily about those. But we’ve identified a few adventures that could be more accessible and aren’t as susceptible to influence from nearby events. The Bugs in the Branches, Shooting Gallery, Flying Circus, and Beetle Feast adventures will now all be made open for play more often. While major mapwide events are going on (survive through the night, the battle for Tarir, and the Trexus boss battle), adventures will remain unavailable as the map is under assault and needs your help!

Finally, we’ve discovered a setting that was creating some lower populations in maps in the Heart of Maguuma than we’d ideally been looking for with our megaserver system. We’re really happy with the difficulty of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns—our players have asked for more meaningful challenge from Guild Wars 2, and we believe Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is bringing that—but having lots of players to play with makes that much more fun, so we’ll make sure you’re always in maps with numerous friends (and soon-to-be friends) to play with.

Iterative development and player feedback are extremely important to us at ArenaNet, and of course we’re going to continue to make Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns even better by listening to all of you. We’re looking forward to sharing even more of that experience with everyone soon with the upcoming activation of our raids, enhanced squad UI, new legendary weapons, and PvP leagues!

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

treizebee posted:

You were so eager to tell us. :3:

For those at work :
The recap is fewer required hero points, refined adventure minigames, and fixed a setting that caused low player population in the new zones

These were my biggest complaints about the expansion by far. Good patch!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

treizebee posted:

I missed that bolded part!

I'm officially excited for Heart of Thorns again. I mean, still not stoked about the legendary precursor collection prices, but whatever, at least the open-world stuff will be fun and unlocking elite specs won't be painful.

I wonder when the patch is coming.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Wow so anet are basically going to just stroll in and casually fix all the problems with the expansion in the first week of it being out are they? Who do they think they are.

:dance:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Great news. Now from a fresh tomed 80, you can join a train and get most of the way there quickly (or almost all the way once you get exalted marks and updraft, if you're willing to run a little longer into tangled depths). This... will actually get me to drag my tomed rev into Verdant Brink and beyond!

Still gonna be running the trains for a while, but now they'll be even more effective!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm just happy that I only need like 10-20 more hero points to finish unlocking Chronomancer now. I had 200 right from the start as world completion surplus and I've done three or four (can't remember) of the easy, just-glide-there-and-interact hero points in Verdant Brink.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wow, that solves a lot of problems in one fell swoop. Now if only they tuned the mobs too so it would be possibleless horrible to play solo :ohdear:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
When does the patch drop?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I'm going to cry tears of happiness for all the alts that I'll unlock, then never play.

For real though, this is an awesome change. Some of the hero points need retuning though, those loving frogs in verdant and the goddamn mushroom queen in tangled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As you all probably already know, the official forums is now wonderfully divided between "yes, this is an amazing change!" and "ugh, I am disgusted that Anet gave into the whiners." NeverPlease change, MMO players.

Your Computer posted:

Wow, that solves a lot of problems in one fell swoop. Now if only they tuned the mobs too so it would be possibleless horrible to play solo :ohdear:

I think the intention is for the mobs to stay really difficult, but the increased player numbers to mean that even if you're just running around without a party, you're never actually alone. If that's how it works out, then I'm happy. GW2 open world is the most fun for me when I can just casually run into an event with a group of people and kick some rear end, and the difficult HoT enemies will make more sense when you're rarely tackling them alone.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 27, 2015

• Locked thread