Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Peregrine Falcon by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Bubbacub posted:

This Red-tail was ripping the guts out of a chipmunk.

Red-tail and chipmunk by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr
This is really fantastic.

Are you sure this isn't a Prairie Falcon or Gyrfalcon? I've never seen a peregrine without really solid dark eye stripes. Nice shot, regardless.

A few from this evening:
Peregrine returning to its perch after a failed pass at some Green-winged Teals

peregrine-flyover by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Belted Kingfisher action

kingfisher-swooping by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

kingfisher-struggle by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

At the end of the evening, a young Northern Harrier crested a bed of cattails right in front of me.

harrier-sunset by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 27, 2015

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Moon Potato posted:

This is really fantastic.

Are you sure this isn't a Prairie Falcon or Gyrfalcon? I've never seen a peregrine without really solid dark eye stripes. Nice shot, regardless.

yeah poo poo.... took this shot at Pacific Northwest Raptors while it was pouring rain and just recall there being a sign saying Peregrine

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

neckbeard posted:

yeah poo poo.... took this shot at Pacific Northwest Raptors while it was pouring rain and just recall there being a sign saying Peregrine

I know they've got a gyrperegrine... maybe you're both right.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

I sent them an email asking for confirmation, it's a Saker Falcon actually. They did have some other Sakers there, just much different morphs, which confused me.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Moon Potato posted:

Belted Kingfisher action

kingfisher-swooping by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

kingfisher-struggle by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

drat! How exactly does one get shots of a Kingfisher? I've never been able to get remotely close to one.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

drat! How exactly does one get shots of a Kingfisher? I've never been able to get remotely close to one.
A lot of patience. My best shots of belted kingfishers have been in marinas where they are used to people being around (masts of docked sailing yachts make for great lookout perches).

The rest are just too drat skittish without a hide, I think. Even the one that lives at the Ballard Locks here in Seattle (a place that gets a LOT of visitors constantly) spooks if you get within 50' of it.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Bubbacub posted:

Find a spot where they like to fish, sit quietly by for a long time and stay focused because they're watching for the moment you respond to a text or look off at another bird. They will dive right then just to gently caress with you.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

some more from The Raptors, it was raining really hard so they weren't able to do a flying demonstration, but got to see some of them up close indoors instead. Golden Eagles are massive, like the size of your average adult's torso

Falcon in the rain by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Harris Hawk by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Bald Eagle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Harris Hawk by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Bald Eagle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

American Dipper by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Steller's Jay by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
The portraits are really nice. The colors are fantastic for the conditions. Did you use a flash?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

thanks, no flash, not sure how I lucked out on the lighting now that I think about it. Benefits of being up close and good light refraction from the light fog clouds? The Jay was in much heavier fog and taken from a lot further away

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

A few shots of some hummingbirds from my Costa Rica trip:

Violet Sabrewing

White-bellied Mountain-gem

Black-bellied Hummingbird

Green Hermit

White-necked Jacobin

Long-billed Hermit

Scaly-breasted Hummingbird

You really hit it out of the park with these. Amazing stuff!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

InternetJunky posted:

A few shots of some hummingbirds from my Costa Rica trip:
Holy gently caress.

quote:

White-bellied Mountain-gem

Green Hermit

These are my favorites, but they're all pretty drat good.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Any time I see InternetJunky post "A few shots" I flip down the blast shields on my brain so my mind only gets lightly blown away.

Goddam amazing, man. You're entering those in every possible contest, right?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Sigh, now I want to go back to Central America even more.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Those are some awesome hummingbird shots. Those are also some awesome hawk, eagle, and falcon shots

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Holy poo poo, InternetJunky.

Kenshin posted:

Sigh, now I want to go back to Central America even more.
Same. The last time I went, I was shooting with a 3.2 megapixel point-and-shoot.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

White-tailed Kites fighting over hunting territory:

kite-war by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Hooded Merganser eating a pipefish:

hoodie-pipefish by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Cinnamon Teals are returning to the marsh.

cinnamon-teal by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Great Blue Heron

gbh-impact by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A Northern Harrier retrieving a piece of a cached coot from the site of an earlier kill:

on-the-wing by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I got my first Wilson's Snipe photo, too. Normally I just see them as they're giving an alarm call and flying off.

snipe-walk by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Moon Potato posted:

Outstanding. Nice to see the serrated bill, too. The German "Säger" (sawyer? cutter?) for mergus makes so much more sense than "merganser". Yeah, yeah, hoodies aren't mergus, shut up.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hey santa baby posted:

Outstanding. Nice to see the serrated bill, too. The German "Säger" (sawyer? cutter?) for mergus makes so much more sense than "merganser". Yeah, yeah, hoodies aren't mergus, shut up.

Could be worse, in the UK they call the common merganser a "goosander"

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Linedance posted:

Could be worse, in the UK they call the common merganser a "goosander"
The root words of 'merganser' basically mean 'diving goose' so I guess that's not too surprising. Still, that seems like when I look through an old ornithology display and see a "Pigeon Hawk" or a "Whistling Swan."

This evening, I had a juvenile Peregrine Falcon fly overhead while chewing pieces off of a sandpiper.

peregrine-sandpiper by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 23, 2015

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Thanks for the comments about my hummingbird shots. The hardest part is figuring out which to process, since I have over 5k shots that all look really similar. Here's a few more birds from Costa Rica:

Chestnut-colored Woodpecker

Collard Aracari

Montezuma Oropendola

King Vulture

Mid-air Rumble

Moon Potato posted:

A Northern Harrier retrieving a piece of a cached coot from the site of an earlier kill:

on-the-wing by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

This evening, I had a juvenile Peregrine Falcon fly overhead while chewing pieces off of a sandpiper.

peregrine-sandpiper by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Excellent series of shots! I love the detail on the Merganser and pipefish. Are you shooting from a kayak/boat or are you on your belly covered in duck poop? You're getting some great low angles.

I had no idea harriers cached food. Is that a universal behaviour? I've watched a lot of harriers and have yet to see this (then again, the ones around here seem to ignore the coots).

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

That Chestnut-colored Woodpecker is a beautiful bird.

InternetJunky posted:

Excellent series of shots! I love the detail on the Merganser and pipefish. Are you shooting from a kayak/boat or are you on your belly covered in duck poop? You're getting some great low angles.
Thanks. Most of my low-to-the-water shots are done crouching at the edge of or leaning back on a levee. It was the Wood Duck shots from a while back where my belly was covered in duck poop - here, I'm just sitting in sandpiper poop.

quote:

I had no idea harriers cached food. Is that a universal behaviour? I've watched a lot of harriers and have yet to see this (then again, the ones around here seem to ignore the coots).
I've only seen them do it once before, and it only seems to happen with larger prey that they can't fit into their crop in one go (the other time it was what looked like a small duck or a curlew). Their success rate is usually pretty low hunting larger birds, so I don't think it happens very much.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The Tricolor heron with the injured leg is still around. Looks like it's healing up, although the exposed bone is still pretty gnarly:

It was much worse a few weeks ago, when I didn't want to post the gross pictures of it.

This Black-crested titmouse found a rival in my coworker's rearview mirror:

black-crested titmouse - wind up by S M, on Flickr

black-crested titmouse - fast break by S M, on Flickr

black-crested titmouse - power peck by S M, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 23, 2015

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The Tricolor heron with the injured leg is still around. Looks like it's healing up, although the exposed bone is still pretty gnarly:

It was much worse a few weeks ago, when I didn't want to post the gross pictures of it.
Get well, little guy :3:

Here's a few more shots from the Peregrine Falcons I saw the other day. Another shot of the young female eating in mid-air:

peregrine-nibble by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The young male was zipping around over a freshwater marsh for a bit before taking off over the bay.

peregrine-male-juvi by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

One of the parents glancing down toward a stretch of salt marsh before flying off toward some tidal wetlands where thousands of sandpipers gather

peregrine-parent by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A making GBS threads bird

skywriting by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Holy poo poo, you guys have been posting a lot of amazing stuff lately.

Moon Potato posted:

A making GBS threads bird

skywriting by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

:prepop:

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
t-t-t-tubenose:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

This page... :jackbud:

Awesome shots guys!

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The national wildlife refuge system has a photo contest going on, so I've been visiting the Humboldt Bay NWR. I'm really hoping to get up close to a hunting kestrel, but so far it's only been catching things in an area that's closed to public access. It came to perch near a trail for a bit, but only after the evening fog started to block out the sunlight.

kestrel-twig by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I staked out a Northern Harrier's hunting grounds while waiting for the kestrel to come near a trail, and it paid off.

harrier-flyover2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

There are some dead alder trees along the trail that look like they've seen a lot of woodpecker activity, and I finally found the culprit.

downy-woodpecker by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The Wilson's Snipes seem to like to feed in the same spot in the late afternoon, so I was able to get a shot of one with a bit more light on it.

snipe-undergrowth by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

More Costa Rica shots:

Purple-throated Mountain-Gem

Rufous-tailed Hummingbird

Flower Fight

Copper-headed Emerald

Green-crowed Brilliant

Green-crowed Brilliant

Blue-gray Tanager

Moon Potato posted:

The national wildlife refuge system has a photo contest going on, so I've been visiting the Humboldt Bay NWR. I'm really hoping to get up close to a hunting kestrel, but so far it's only been catching things in an area that's closed to public access. It came to perch near a trail for a bit, but only after the evening fog started to block out the sunlight.

kestrel-twig by Redwood Planet, on Flickr
Are you using a blind to go after it? I love Kestrels but gently caress if I can ever get close to one. They have some sort of minimum distance trigger here in Alberta and if you happen to get closer than that minimum distance they immediately fly just a little bit further away but this time their minimum distance trigger increases so you only succeed in getting further and further away from them.

quote:

The Wilson's Snipes seem to like to feed in the same spot in the late afternoon, so I was able to get a shot of one with a bit more light on it.

snipe-undergrowth by Redwood Planet, on Flickr
That's a beautiful snipe shot. I love the light and pose.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Holy smokes, another great round of hummingbird pics.

This kestrel seemed pretty okay with having people nearby. I was just scooting along the edge of the trail with partial cover from shrubs to get close to it, and it didn't seem at all agitated by my presence. A couple other people walked by pretty close to its tree while I was watching it, and it didn't take off, so I think I've lucked out with a cooperative subject here. Next time I visit, I'll try to get permission from the refuge staff to go out by its hunting grounds and set up with a cloth blind for the afternoon.

Sadly, the other kestrels I've found around Humboldt Bay so far this fall will have nothing to do with me and just take off into private farmland as soon as I think about pointing a lens at them.

A few more from the refuge:

Yellow-rumped Warbler

warbler-twig by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Black Phoebe

phoebe-twig by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Willet eating a crab

willet-crab by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

And one more of the American Kestrel

kestrel-takeoff by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 28, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've encountered American Kestrels that were OK with me and my camera, as long as I stayed about 100m away. But it is absolutely true that they ramp up the minimum distance every time you get inside it. I have also met Kestrels that hosed right off when I got within a radius approximately equal to the orbital distance of Mars.

Merlins, on the other hand, are pretty chill and I can get pretty close to them, if they're perched high enough up a tree that they don't see me as a threat. I watched a pair scream at each other one morning at my old apartment in Saskatoon, they were at opposite ends of the building's roof.

Also, goddammit are you two knocking it out of the park.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Oh hey, are we talking about American Kestrels?

American kestrel - male by S M, on Flickr

American kestrel - female by S M, on Flickr

I went driving out in the farmlands today, to see what kinds of raptors I could find up on the utility cables. My approach is: 1.) Spot bird 2.) Move in 3.) Pull over and pop up out of sunroof. That doesn't seem to trigger much more than a quizzical look from them, although even with 600mm's equivalent reach they're a little distant up on those cables. My greatest nemesis is still the Belted kingfisher.

Edit: These were each taken in pretty different lighting, but I'm still getting the hang of counteracting the atrocious default color balance of Sony cameras

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 29, 2015

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Oh hey, are we talking about American Kestrels?

American kestrel - male by S M, on Flickr

American kestrel - female by S M, on Flickr

I went driving out in the farmlands today, to see what kinds of raptors I could find up on the utility cables. My approach is: 1.) Spot bird 2.) Move in 3.) Pull over and pop up out of sunroof. That doesn't seem to trigger much more than a quizzical look from them, although even with 600mm's equivalent reach they're a little distant up on those cables. My greatest nemesis is still the Belted kingfisher.

Edit: These were each taken in pretty different lighting, but I'm still getting the hang of counteracting the atrocious default color balance of Sony cameras
I'm surprised they let you get that close, but you did a really great job on them, especially given the background sky. Awesome Karate Kid pose.

ExecuDork posted:

I've encountered American Kestrels that were OK with me and my camera, as long as I stayed about 100m away. But it is absolutely true that they ramp up the minimum distance every time you get inside it. I have also met Kestrels that hosed right off when I got within a radius approximately equal to the orbital distance of Mars.

Merlins, on the other hand, are pretty chill and I can get pretty close to them, if they're perched high enough up a tree that they don't see me as a threat. I watched a pair scream at each other one morning at my old apartment in Saskatoon, they were at opposite ends of the building's roof.
I've got a family of merlin in my neighbourhood that is fine with people unless it's nesting time. Hopefully this year I catch one with my camera as it hunts the sparrows at my feeders. Kestrels I've given up on though.

Moon Potato posted:

A few more from the refuge:

Yellow-rumped Warbler

warbler-twig by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Black Phoebe

phoebe-twig by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Willet eating a crab

willet-crab by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

And one more of the American Kestrel

kestrel-takeoff by Redwood Planet, on Flickr
Great set. You soon to have no issues getting close to any of these birds (still my biggest problem for wild birds). The angle on the willet makes it look like you're standing on its tail almost.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The secret is that they have to know you are there. If you try and sneak up on them, you will scare them off, because in their minds sneaky = predator. If they know you are there, and you move slowly but deliberately, you have a far better chance of getting close.

I got quite good at it when I was a kid.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

I've got a family of merlin in my neighbourhood that is fine with people unless it's nesting time. Hopefully this year I catch one with my camera as it hunts the sparrows at my feeders. Kestrels I've given up on though.

Do we have any Kestrels in Millwoods? I haven't seen any yet.

Also, there's been a Peregrine hunting at the Grain Terminal this week, I'm going to head over on Sunday

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

Do we have any Kestrels in Millwoods? I haven't seen any yet.

Also, there's been a Peregrine hunting at the Grain Terminal this week, I'm going to head over on Sunday
No Kestrels in Millwoods, but there's a bunch, including a breeding pair, up where I go for owls so I always give them a try.

I was thinking of trying for the peregrine as well, but from what I understood it wasn't reliable in terms of when it was coming in.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

The secret is that they have to know you are there. If you try and sneak up on them, you will scare them off, because in their minds sneaky = predator. If they know you are there, and you move slowly but deliberately, you have a far better chance of getting close.

I got quite good at it when I was a kid.
I have a lot of my closest encounters when I show up at a bird's favorite perch or feeding spot before it does and wait there quietly. Occasionally, I run into one that doesn't care if I walk right up to it (like the phoebe and Downy Woodpecker from my last couple posts) or one that lets me slowly approach once I sit down nearby for a bit and let it get used to my presence (like the female kestrel or the adult female Belted Kingfisher at Arcata Marsh). Sitting next to a bush, a tree or anything that can provide partial cover seems to make animals less nervous, too.

The female American Kestrel at the wildlife refuge seems to be mostly staying away from the trails now, but a male has started hunting in the fields there. This guy won't let me get anywhere near him while he's perched, and he's hunting out in closed restoration areas, but he'll occasionally fly past the trails.

kestrel-mouse by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

One of my neighborhood kites was hovering right by the road as I got off the freeway the other day, so I pulled over and grabbed my camera. Unfortunately, a cloud moved over the sun while it was happening, but after cruising around the field for a bit, it dove right in front of me.

diving-kite by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

We have a Red-necked Grebe visiting Arcata Marsh right now. I've caught glimpses of them in the surf off the coast, but this is the first time I've been able to see one up close.

red-necked-grebe by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I was sitting on the levee next to a gathering of smelt, hoping that something would come to feed on them and within 15 minutes, nearly all the lake's grebes came by.

grebe-floatilla by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

It turned out they were after the shrimp that live in the levee rather than the smelt.

eared-grebe-shrimp by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

During a Peregrine Falcon stakeout, I had a flock of American Avocets land pretty close to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbddNo5TU54

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 2, 2015

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Moon Potato posted:

et[/url], on Flickr

One of my neighborhood kites was hovering right by the road as I got off the freeway the other day, so I pulled over and grabbed my camera. Unfortunately, a cloud moved over the sun while it was happening, but after cruising around the field for a bit, it dove right in front of me.

diving-kite by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

That's awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Magpie headshot by ASB, on Flickr

Food by ASB, on Flickr

Curious by ASB, on Flickr

Showing off by ASB, on Flickr

Taking Flight by ASB, on Flickr

Collision course (with my head) by ASB, on Flickr

He flew centimeters from my head in the last one, scared the poo poo out of me.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 2, 2015