Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Welp, the first newsletter for Dropfleet is out and it's pretty :effort: http://hawkwargames.cmail2.com/t/ViewEmail/j/FEDCEE733093551F/AAFE56684DE34CE7C06B463AA70A4F2C

At least we know the kickstarter's coming later this month so we'll probably get a bunch of updates soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
They have to reserve as much surprise stuff as possible so they get people hyped when the kickstarter is available.

No reason to have people shoot their load three weeks before they can open their wallets.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Have some pictures of UCM frigates from the SPIEL instead. Also the Hawk people here are seriously great to talk to.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 9, 2015

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I got the feeling that newsletter was more a dress rehearsal for the actual good stuff than a real attempt to tell us anything new.

Would have been embarrassing to discover nobody was receiving it or something.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
The scourge ships look like a cross between a squid, a shark and a whale. Awesome.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Not a viking posted:

The scourge ships look like a cross between a squid, a shark and a whale. Awesome.

The Cad files for one scourge ship is apparently the same size as the files for the UCM.
Dave said it was a very frustrating task, as it took thirty seconds to process after very small change.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ugleb posted:

I got the feeling that newsletter was more a dress rehearsal for the actual good stuff than a real attempt to tell us anything new.

Would have been embarrassing to discover nobody was receiving it or something.
Yeah, it comes across that way, no big deal. I guess I don't really see why Dropfleet needs to have its own newsletter instead of being combined with Dropzone, but whatever. :shrug:

These are really cool. There was a long interview posted in here a little while ago that gave some details on these ships. The one with the three turrets is basically a generic frigate, the one with the missiles is a close-range assault frigate, and the one with all of the little lasers is a point defense frigate that can be used to protect other vessels.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Anyone here have any more info on the whole Hawk vs. KR deal?

I love KR foam/cases and I love DZC, so it sure would be nice if they get it sorted out.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have a ton of KR foam for my PHR and i absolutely love it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Prefect Six posted:

Anyone here have any more info on the whole Hawk vs. KR deal?

I love KR foam/cases and I love DZC, so it sure would be nice if they get it sorted out.

Having met the bosses of both companies, they are very chilled people, I have a hard time thinking there is anything more than confusion going on here.

But yes, more KR cases for the newer stuff would be amazing!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

KR sponsor the Oath thread, and they are essentially the best company ever

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I think KR are offering prize support for the Warfare tournament next month, so I guess the relationship is ok. It's probably down to getting designers to actually go do it I guess.

I'm starting a Resistance army so hopefully they will get a move on!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

New newsletters out today for both games! Shame there was so little in them.

Hawk seem really eager for people to get that they are raising money for plastic.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Quick rules question:

I know you cannot shoot if you have disembarked earlier in the turn. And that bars reaction fire as well.

But can you embark after having shot? Either normally or reaction fire? The rules seem ambiguous. I would doubt it, and my friend and I played as if you cannot, but it's not clear.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

No I'm pretty sure that you can't. Unless you are using hovercraft (not skimmers) in which case I would need to get my rulebook.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Ugleb is correct. You cannot embark having shot that turn. The rules are very clear about this. For all non-hovercraft-transported units, the rules are as follows:

Main Rulebook, p.48 posted:

Embarking/Disembarking Units may not shoot in the same turn as doing so. The transport may still fire its weapons in the usual way.

For hovercraft-transported units, the rules state:

Reconquest: Phase 1, p.119 posted:

A unit disembarking/embarking from a Hovercraft may forfeit its second disembark/embark allocation to fire its weapons in the same turn.

Hopefully that clears things up for you.

Danoss fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 20, 2015

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I was listening to the Orbital Bombardment post-Invasion pod cast last night and enjoyed how the news section was mostly them being annoyed that the newsletter was hours late and they couldn't talk about it.

Then it came in so they stopped recording to read it. When they come back they are in a table flipping mood at the lack of content. I lol'ed.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ugleb posted:

I was listening to the Orbital Bombardment post-Invasion pod cast

Are there other decent DZC podcasts?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

If anyone knows of any I need more listening material!

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Ugleb posted:

I was listening to the Orbital Bombardment post-Invasion pod cast last night and enjoyed how the news section was mostly them being annoyed that the newsletter was hours late and they couldn't talk about it.

Then it came in so they stopped recording to read it. When they come back they are in a table flipping mood at the lack of content. I lol'ed.

Has the sound quality got any better? Boy it's atrocious on those earlier episodes.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

A bit variable but mostly Ok. I think they are doing better at not talking over each other, sitting closer to the mic and not trying to involve a dozen people at once.

The soundbites haven't changed though.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Looks like the Dropfleet Commander kickstarter should be up on friday!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The newest newsletter has a picture of a Shaltari ship and some details about the Kickstarter:
http://hawkwargames.createsend1.com/t/ViewEmail/j/6E9634A68C15892C/37AE72AEED424464419C69E1CEBE89F9

To be honest, I'm not that big a fan of the Kickstarter exclusive ship. They've stretched the bottom portion of a UCM ship and slapped more turrets on it. Not really my thing. Considering it's bundled in at the two highest levels, I don't think I'm going to bother.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'll wait and see what exactly there is in addons and stretch goals and stuff and if our resident scourge player would be up for splitting the double starter.

As for the Atlantis, what bothers me are the turrets on top of the hangars, doesn't feel like a good place to put them.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

2PM GMT, so excited. Especially as a friend is all in for it after desperately looking for BFG models. If its good it might even pull us into DZC.

Do playstyles differ between factions? Scourge ships look cool but I far prefer the look of the PHR/Rebels/UCM in that order for DZC.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 30, 2015

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

ijyt posted:

2PM GMT, so excited. Especially as a friend is all in for it after desperately looking for BFG models. If its good it might even pull us into DZC.

Same! I am hoping for a starter box + PHR fleet option because I like the look of PHR most in DZC.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Not a viking posted:

Same! I am hoping for a starter box + PHR fleet option because I like the look of PHR most in DZC.

Sums up what I'll be doing too, we'll either go for the starter set + PHR for myself or separate fleets depending on the addons.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

There will be details in the campaign I'm sure but Scourge are high damage at short range, phr tough with powerful broadsides, shaltari fragile with the ability to boost Shields and have long ranged forward facing guns. UCM get the burn through lasers which do sustained damage and criticals if they keep rolling successes but otherwise seem middle of the road.

Hawk are trying to carry over the Dropzone faction flavours as far as they work in the setting. Speed is less of a factor so phr can't simply be slow etc.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I thought Andy and Dave said in an interview (maybe Beasts of War?) that other factions would have access to burn through weapons? I think they showed a Scourge cruiser with one.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I should be saving money, and I will probably never play the game, but I really want to back the kickstarter so I can paint up a bunch of spaceships like Criss Foss art.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I should be saving money, and I will probably never play the game, but I really want to back the kickstarter so I can paint up a bunch of spaceships like Criss Foss art.

gently caress poo poo I forgot about that.

Which ever faction has the Homeworld-iest ships wins. Though I think PHR would take that scheme well.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

TTerrible posted:

I thought Andy and Dave said in an interview (maybe Beasts of War?) that other factions would have access to burn through weapons? I think they showed a Scourge cruiser with one.

You may be right, honestly I'm fuzzy on what the UCM are meant to do well.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

I know the last newsletter update said the Shaltari would have few turrets, lots of arc specific weapons, and high manuverability. I look forward to this a lot.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ugleb posted:

You may be right, honestly I'm fuzzy on what the UCM are meant to do well.

The sum total of my DZC experience is one game, so I suspect you're way ahead of me. I'm gald to be getting in on dropfleet at the ground floor though.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

TTerrible posted:

The sum total of my DZC experience is one game, so I suspect you're way ahead of me. I'm gald to be getting in on dropfleet at the ground floor though.

Well in Dropzone they are the air faction with more gunships, bombers and intercerptors than everyone else. Not so sure about Dropfleet atm. I haven't heard much about fighter squadrons so not convinced they will go down that route.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It's up and running.

I've pledged for the Commander level, I don't think I want two starter sets just to get a limited edition cruiser.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hawkwargames/dropfleet-commander

EDIT: It's already over half way funded and it's been up less than ten minutes. :psyduck:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Have a model filled cross post!

quote:

Oath Complete!

Vampires

Marauder Dropships.

Screamer (and whats left of George.)

Harbinger class dropship.

Raider Class dropship.

Bus and Bear.

t[img]http://i.imgur.com/Nbphk68.jpg[/timg]
The Hazard Suits and Flack infantry. Really pleased with how these have come out.

And, as an aside, here is a Marauder I painted a couple of years ago for the oath thread. I really think I've improved since then! I'm shifting the colour scheme a little, but I'm kinda stuck with what I started with!

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

TTerrible posted:

EDIT: It's already over half way funded and it's been up less than ten minutes. :psyduck:

38 people have backed it already at £500 level.

edit: aaaaand it's already funded

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

shoplifter posted:

38 people have backed it already at £500 level.

edit: aaaaand it's already funded

Yeah, those £500 level ones were going crazy fast. £40k in 12 minutes, not bad. I wonder if they were ready for it to blow up that quickly? Hopefully we'll get a few stretch goals out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Haha, I like how they were funded in less than 15 miniutes, and all 50 of the $750+ tiers are already sold out. I backed at the Captian level and probably will add on a couple of boxes of PHR or Shaltari when they come up... oh god all my money...