Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Everyone talks about horror movies in October, so I went out and reviewed Curse of the Aztec Mummy.. This one is mostly jokes, as there isn't really enough substance to the movie to analyze it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think Phelan and Allison have stumbled upon another weird artifact of the 1990s like Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, except this isn't a videogame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7MTJekiUeQ
I just realized its October and we didn't get any Halloweenie this year :smith:

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

achillesforever6 posted:

I just realized its October and we didn't get any Halloweenie this year :smith:
Good news!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Speak of the Devil...

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

And the related Bad news from back in September.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I think I got a new one for you guys. Thug Notes by Sparky Sweets.

His most recent one is on Don Quixote https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVkzxDJo9-Y

I like him. :)

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Holy whatthefuck-- since I last check, Ross has not one, not two, but THREE new Game Dungeon videos, starting with "Bozo's night out":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Got a bit lost in the description (edit: of the last episode, in the posting on the site), but Team Snob's Jillian is going through some medical stuff, and Brad asked for help:

http://www.thecinemasnob.com/the-cinema-snob/halloween-5-the-revenge-of-michael-myers

quote:

On an important personal note. You may have noticed a lack of Jillian on the site or online in general recently, namely the Jem and the Holograms review. Jillian has been going through some tough times here recently, and there's only so much that I can get into here, but what I can say is she's been going through some very severe medical physical issues.

We're doing what we can to help her, and part of what will help her is to get her out of her current living situation, which involves some pretty terrible and health affecting poo poo. You know it's serious if we're doing something like this, but there's a donate button on the front page of this site, and if you can spare anything to help out Jillian, even a little bit would be appreciated. Thanks a million, from myself and from Jillian. I'll keep you all updated too.

The Paypal donate button is on the homepage of https://www.thecinemasnob.com waythefuck down near the bottom.

lornekates fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 27, 2015

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
The best part of the Movie Nights review of Transylvania Twist is watching Phelan rock back and forth as if he’s been traumatized by the movie.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
New Between The Lines! It's on the Fallout series.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

echopapa posted:

The best part of the Movie Nights review of Transylvania Twist is watching Phelan rock back and forth as if he’s been traumatized by the movie.

He does that in every review they do and it bugs the poo poo out of me. ADHD?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

JB50 posted:

There are a few neurodevelopemental disorders that do that as a calming thing.

And also sometimes people just rock back and forth while doing public speaking for reasons that are opaque to me, but presumably have some basis.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

JB50 posted:

We both kinda do it without being aware of it sometimes! I try to tone it down when we're reviewing but sometimes I space it. Just a nervous habit I guess.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I really liked this video. It hits on the idea that Fallout is more about the world trying to rebuild itself after the apocalypse.

I wish there had been a bit more on New Vegas, though. I think it does a better job on dealing with the ideas of conflict, the need for resources, and the concepts behind the 'War Never Changes' line, especially in Lonesome Road expansion.

As far as the issues with the sustainability of the Capital Wasteland goes, Shamus Young did a write-up on Fallout 3 that discusses the issues with that.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Max Wilco posted:

As far as the issues with the sustainability of the Capital Wasteland goes, Shamus Young did a write-up on Fallout 3 that discusses the issues with that.

Oh god not this bullshit again

loving grognards, man.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

3 really did have the worst writing of the main line games though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Yardbomb posted:

3 really did have the worst writing of the main line games though.

Sure, you can make the case for that but this topic of discussion brings out the worst extremes of neckbeardery. You might as well bring up people not liking Dark Souls 2 as much as Dark Souls 1.

For some reason, SA is absolutely convinced that everyone needs to hear this for all of eternity, like the dark mirror of people who won't stop pressuring other people to read Homestuck or watch Breaking Bad.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Shamus Young is a doofus that takes every valid criticism of FO3 and drowns it in hyperbole. Fallout 3 is rife with lazy writing, but that's more disappointingly typical of Bethesda than anything else given that it's a vehicle for exploring a post apocalyptic DC. All things considered, it was a really fun wasteland to explore!

It's just that New Vegas shows you can build a fun wasteland to explore AND an interesting story with the same game engine to boot. Even if some of the dialogue feels like it belongs in a one man stage show rather than a conversation.

I'm looking at you, Cassidy. :colbert:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Sure, you can make the case for that but this topic of discussion brings out the worst extremes of neckbeardery. You might as well bring up people not liking Dark Souls 2 as much as Dark Souls 1.

For some reason, SA is absolutely convinced that everyone needs to hear this for all of eternity, like the dark mirror of people who won't stop pressuring other people to read Homestuck or watch Breaking Bad.

Look, on a certain level I understand your frustration, because when something comes up pretty often it can become a chore if you have already read it.

On the other hand I had never seen that before and am now about to watch it for the first time. So, y'know. Think about us noobs.

Also, people who are suggesting you read Homestuck are giving you a good recommendation. It's good.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

paradoxGentleman posted:

Also, people who are suggesting you read Homestuck are giving you a good recommendation. It's good.

I liked what I read, and I have friends who like it. I just meant people who continually insist that people they know need to read it, and then get angry when the person doesn't like the thing they were pressured to read.

This happens with a lot of things, a lot of them good.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I liked what I read, and I have friends who like it. I just meant people who continually insist that people they know need to read it, and then get angry when the person doesn't like the thing they were pressured to read.

This happens with a lot of things, a lot of them good.

Oh yeah, that's always terrible, and can in fact spoil lots of great stuff, no objection there.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Fallout 3 really epitomizes Bethesda writing. It has the mostly laughably stupid "heroic sacrifice" in the history of media. The game even acknowledges that it makes no sense, so it's just there for some really forced dramatic tension.
The game is otherwise kinda fun, but in just a few years it already feels incredibly dated. It has not aged well at all. Oblivion, on the other hand, is still amazingly fun because that game is good in spite of itself. That is a game where causality is ignored and things just loving happen that you have no control over.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Beefstew posted:

Fallout 3 really epitomizes Bethesda writing. It has the mostly laughably stupid "heroic sacrifice" in the history of media. The game even acknowledges that it makes no sense, so it's just there for some really forced dramatic tension.
The game is otherwise kinda fun, but in just a few years it already feels incredibly dated. It has not aged well at all. Oblivion, on the other hand, is still amazingly fun because that game is good in spite of itself. That is a game where causality is ignored and things just loving happen that you have no control over.

What are you talking about, Oblivion is by far the worst Bethesda game.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Seriously. Like, I think Oblivion's writing is a step above Skyrim's plot but sweet cupping cakes, the awful gameplay and balancing issues are only outdone by its Facegen system.

E: vv Alright, while similar in nature, Oblivion's scaling problems are LEAPS and BOUNDS worse than Skyrim's.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 27, 2015

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
There is not a single Bethesda game with good gameplay. However, in my opinion, Oblivion has the best sandbox. It tries a million things, succeeds at almost none of them, and still manages to be incredibly fun - even if it doesn't remotely resemble the game they were trying to make. It kinda becomes a Discworld game in that it's a farce transplanted into a fantasy setting. Skyrim is restrained and really boring, and the combat/level-scaling is just as abominable as in Oblivion.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Beefstew posted:

There is not a single Bethesda game with good gameplay. However, in my opinion, Oblivion has the best sandbox. It tries a million things, succeeds at almost none of them, and still manages to be incredibly fun - even if it doesn't remotely resemble the game they were trying to make. It kind becomes a Discworld game in that it's a farce transplanted into a fantasy setting. Skyrim is restrained and really boring, and the combat/level-scaling is just as abominable as in Oblivion.

The combat in Skyrim is awful but it's still miles above Oblivions combat.

Also the level scaling in Oblivion is unparalleled in its awfulness. I'm pretty certain you just don't remember how bad it was in Oblivion.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Like flies to rotting meat

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

This is why I don't usually talk about video games.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Yes, heaven forbid this thread goes on a tangent relevant to a piece of media covered by an internet critic.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Miss Wallace posted:

We both kinda do it without being aware of it sometimes! I try to tone it down when we're reviewing but sometimes I space it. Just a nervous habit I guess.

I reject your reality. What's ACTUALLY happening is Ash has hollowed up Phelan and is wearing him like a meat suit. Ash WILL have screen time, damnit!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I never played Skyrim and very briefly played Morrodin, so I ask you this: why did so many people lock themselves into their rooms to play Skyrim if it is not a fun game?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

How has New Vegas held up? I'm thinking of popping that back in.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

paradoxGentleman posted:

I never played Skyrim and very briefly played Morrodin, so I ask you this: why did so many people lock themselves into their rooms to play Skyrim if it is not a fun game?

The combat isn't what they play it for.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Well. Still stuck on that broke rear end engine, however. I don't think Bethesda is ever going to use anything else for their games. In a post-Witcher 3 world, the graphics in Fallout 4 look dreadful. The facial animation is just terrible. Witcher 2 had better animated faces.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

From what I can tell, people play Skyrim to mod it into a gigantic fetish pit.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Like ants to a picnic

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Like fleas to a dog

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Like a dog returning to its vomit

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

BigRed0427 posted:

Pretty drat well, actually! Aside from that the engine is mostly made out of duct tape and the combat is extremely uninteresting.

Like a dog returning to its vomit

You don't have to describe your posting to us, we've seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

i am tim! posted:

Yes, heaven forbid this thread goes on a tangent relevant to a piece of media covered by an internet critic.

KKall posted:

This is why I don't usually talk about video games.

• Locked thread