Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That's a very good change, and along with the low population fix it should make the new zones much better. I would still like to see mobs tuned a bit to make them easier, as I really enjoyed how relaxing GW2 PvE was and it's certainly not anymore. Yes, blah blah blah I'm a filthy casual baby waaaahhh, I don't care, I'm an adult and play videogames to relax and not be stressed at continually difficult things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I think the intention is for the mobs to stay really difficult, but the increased player numbers to mean that even if you're just running around without a party, you're never actually alone. If that's how it works out, then I'm happy. GW2 open world is the most fun for me when I can just casually run into an event with a group of people and kick some rear end, and the difficult HoT enemies will make more sense when you're rarely tackling them alone.
I would be okay with that, but it's a really fickle system. If there comes a time when there aren't enough people, welp. If there becomes an accepted "route" or way to do things; sucks to be you if you want to do your own thing, etc.

Harrow posted:

As you all probably already know, the official forums is now wonderfully divided between "yes, this is an amazing change!" and "ugh, I am disgusted that Anet gave into the whiners." NeverPlease change, MMO players.
Hell, I've seen people complain that the group events and meta events are too easy. "We were almost able to complete it with a PUG. A PUG :qq:" Don't you know everything in the game should require a coordinated guild effort and voice chat? It's weird to say, but GW2 is really hostile to casual players now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes, blah blah blah I'm a filthy casual baby waaaahhh, I don't care, I'm an adult and play videogames to relax and not be stressed at continually difficult things.
Which is what raids should be for, not everything. :(

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
That's much better. Chronomancing for the masses!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's a very good change, and along with the low population fix it should make the new zones much better. I would still like to see mobs tuned a bit to make them easier, as I really enjoyed how relaxing GW2 PvE was and it's certainly not anymore. Yes, blah blah blah I'm a filthy casual baby waaaahhh, I don't care, I'm an adult and play videogames to relax and not be stressed at continually difficult things.

I think we should see how it feels with increased player numbers. Having more people around should (hypothetically) make these difficult enemies a lot more manageable, because you won't have to solo them/groups of them nearly as often.

Personally, I really enjoy that the Heart of Thorns areas feel dangerous and hostile, so I like that the enemies there are more difficult than they are in core Tyria. That said, some of them absolutely tip over the line from "difficult" to "needlessly annoying" (gently caress smokescales) and some areas are probably too thick with quickly-respawning veterans.

I also agree with Your Computer's take that the vast majority of open world stuff should be doable with an uncoordinated group of players who read the event description and do what they're told to do by that. I like that some events require coordination beyond that, but anything beyond "someone's playing map chat commander so we could work together and do it" is too coordinated to ask us to be for open world.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 27, 2015

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Great, now I can't play or have fun in a video game because I have too many points and anet will just ruin all the fun I already had by lowering the bar for other people. Where is the point refund for loyal veterans???

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ItBurns posted:

Great, now I can't play or have fun in a video game because I have too many points and anet will just ruin all the fun I already had by lowering the bar for other people. Where is the point refund for loyal veterans???

You joke, but they actually are refunding any points you spent past 250.

(I also unironically think it would be a good idea to give us something to do with hero points once we unlock everything. Then again, maybe that "something to do" will be "unlock the next elite spec in the next expansion a little faster," who knows.)

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

You joke, but they actually are refunding any points you spent past 250.

(I also unironically think it would be a good idea to give us something to do with hero points once we unlock everything. Then again, maybe that "something to do" will be "unlock the next elite spec in the next expansion a little faster," who knows.)

Well it honestly would be kinda lovely if they didn't, that would leave you permanently 150 points short.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

malhavok posted:

Well it honestly would be kinda lovely if they didn't, that would leave you permanently 150 points short.

Yeah, it's absolutely the only option. I do wonder if they're planning on giving us something to spend those extra 150 points (that I admittedly don't have yet) on or if it's just "hang onto them for the next expansion."

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yeah, it's absolutely the only option. I do wonder if they're planning on giving us something to spend those extra 150 points (that I admittedly don't have yet) on or if it's just "hang onto them for the next expansion."

Considering map completion would leave you hanging around with 200+ points before HoT, I'm guessing they're happy to let the hero points sit on your character until the next elite spec.

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Then again, maybe that "something to do" will be "unlock the next elite spec in the next expansion a little faster," who knows.)

Next expac it will be a totally different currency called "Elite hero points" and it will cost 1000.

Edit: also 250 stills seems like too many but I guess its better. Still not looking forward to doing one of the more boring things in the game on all alts though.

NapoleonAtWaterloo fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 27, 2015

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
As a warrior this change doesn't effect me, I believe.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NapoleonAtWaterloo posted:

Edit: also 250 stills seems like too many but I guess its better. Still not looking forward to doing one of the more boring things in the game on all alts though.

If you like WvW, you can sort of stockpile Proofs of Heroics to get hero points for your alts. If you don't, then at least you won't have to level masteries again and can pretty quickly snap up the mastery-gated hero points.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

treizebee posted:

You were so eager to tell us. :3:

For those at work :
The recap is fewer required hero points, refined adventure minigames, and fixed a setting that caused low player population in the new zones

This is all good news. The new zones always seemed empty, minigames were always locked, and I'd stopped caring about elite spec outside pvp because of the stupid grind.

So with the reduction that's only 4 of the new SUPER hero points to complete it if you had map complete before right?

xZAOx posted:

As a warrior this change doesn't effect me, I believe.

No you get an achievement for completing the spec, so there's that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I main a warrior but haven't had the chance to try berserker yet. Is it really that bad?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Does berzerker suck or something?

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

If you like WvW, you can sort of stockpile Proofs of Heroics to get hero points for your alts. If you don't, then at least you won't have to level masteries again and can pretty quickly snap up the mastery-gated hero points.

I guess that's true, MAG wvw has been super dead since release so I kinda forgot those things even existed. Hopefully it picks up soon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Warriors hate Berserker more than Elementalists hate Tempest.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Harrow posted:

Warriors hate Berserker more than Elementalists hate Tempest.

This is what Anet really meant when they said the Berserker meta would be ending. It's just ending before it began.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Razzled posted:

It's not PS/EA soooo... Warrior is in the same boat as ele in the sense that they already have a ton of good spec.

It's good, just not as amazing as other specs. It's also condi based for the most part. If you like sword then you'll like Berserker, but there is a notable lack of synergy since on is bleeding and the other is fire, generally.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

treizebee posted:

You were so eager to tell us. :3:

For those at work :
The recap is fewer required hero points, refined adventure minigames, and fixed a setting that caused low player population in the new zones

That announcement fixes every complaint I had with the expansion, and in the first week no less.

That's drat unprecedented in MMO-land these days.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I main a warrior but haven't had the chance to try berserker yet. Is it really that bad?

Razzled posted:

I'm a filthy casual that just uses whatever build the internet tells me to build, and I haven't seen any builds say to use it. Only random disparaging comments about it. I refuse to find out myself though, I'm content to trust The Internet's opinion on it.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yay, love them patch notes. My thief is <11 tomes away from 80; I'm gonna do the personal story stuff as it unlocks so it might end up being like 8 or 9 tomes? Then much less intimidatingly on to daredevil!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The elite specs gave the classes access to things they were lacking previously. In the warriors case we finally have a setup that allows us access to "press a lot of buttons to do much less damage than a warrior pressing very few buttons" which is something other classes had but warriors did not until now.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Harrow posted:

As you all probably already know, the official forums is now wonderfully divided between "yes, this is an amazing change!" and "ugh, I am disgusted that Anet gave into the whiners." NeverPlease change, MMO players.

any good quotes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Harrow posted:

I think we should see how it feels with increased player numbers. Having more people around should (hypothetically) make these difficult enemies a lot more manageable, because you won't have to solo them/groups of them nearly as often.

Personally, I really enjoy that the Heart of Thorns areas feel dangerous and hostile, so I like that the enemies there are more difficult than they are in core Tyria. That said, some of them absolutely tip over the line from "difficult" to "needlessly annoying" (gently caress smokescales) and some areas are probably too thick with quickly-respawning veterans.

I also agree with Your Computer's take that the vast majority of open world stuff should be doable with an uncoordinated group of players who read the event description and do what they're told to do by that. I like that some events require coordination beyond that, but anything beyond "someone's playing map chat commander so we could work together and do it" is too coordinated to ask us to be for open world.

I agree with all of this.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the overall difficulty is pretty alright barring a few specific enemies which will hopefully be looked at again at some point. some of the map events are still a shitshow, but maybe more population will help with that? also, the hero point change is more than i was expecting, so that's great. will make starting at nothing on alts that much easier.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RottenK posted:

any good quotes

Let's see...

Veneratio.1980 posted:

What a joke. The vocal minority win again. You should never cave to whinging babies or they will never learn and next time will do the same thing. I had a fully unlocked Herald in 18hours game play. Wasn’t hard as it was and now you’ve just trivialised it.

Copestetic.5174 posted:

It’s bullkitten. Getting the required Hero Points isn’t/wasn’t very hard to do. I’m casually playing through Heart of Thorns right now, and I’m 85% done with Warrior’s Elite Specialization. While I’m not done with it, I feel as if I’m progressing and it gives me a sense of “earning” the specialization. In fact, I was excited to bring my new Rev through it to do it again for Herald.

I swear, this is the reason we can’t have nice things in this game that makes you feel good when you’re done completing them. Such a shame.

wolfram.8291 posted:

Nope, all these people saying it was the right choice are here because they complained enough and now are getting their way. Most people who were happy with it probably didn’t bother defending Anet on the forums against this “I WANT IT NOW” attack. Anet should have stood their ground. I think they should actually go the other way because I and many others were able to max it in 2 days which isn’t long enough.

captaincrash.6528 posted:

Heart of Thorns is getting nerfed already? It was so nice having long term goals in the game, please don’t give in with absolutely everything. The elite specs were fine the way they were…

Source, if you feel like wading in yourself: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/THANK-YOU-250-HP-For-Elites/first

Worth noting that these people are so far the minority. Most people seem pretty content with the change.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 27, 2015

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Sounds like they owe use more free character slots to make up for this SLAP IN THE FACE to the VETERAN COMMUNITY.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My favorite, though, is the person with 22 characters across four accounts who says 250 hero points is still too much.

I'm willing to entertain that 250 is still too much for some people, but I'm not sure how they fail to recognize their own extreme situation.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i wonder how long people will keep holding up the extra character slot as entitled people whining when i think even a-net people at some point might have admitted that it was dumb not to give one

e: i made the mistake of clicking on that gw2 forum thread

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

I've accomplished nothing else in my life why would you take this from me anet you fuckersssssssss

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

mmo players are the only people who hate quality of life changes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have a certain tolerance for internet bullshit so wading into forums full of lunatics isn't a huge deal for me. It probably isn't great for my mental health.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ShadowMar posted:

so much so that they made wildstar

and, well,

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Harrow posted:

I have a certain tolerance for internet bullshit so wading into forums full of lunatics isn't a huge deal for me. It probably isn't great for my mental health.

I consider this as far down the rabbit-hole as I can usually go. We all appreciate your sacrifice.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
For real though the mob difficulty is fine.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I don't know about effectiveness but I'm at least having a lot of fun with it, just chopping things with an Axe and turning berserk mode on to chop faster. Also head butting to stun myself and punching people so hard they go flying backwards is great.

ShadowMar posted:

Empty quotin'

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RottenK posted:

any good quotes

Anyone else outraged?

Goodbye me caring for the content in the expansion, since I don't have to do it for my rewards.
While you're at it - give me free legendaries on character creation. Thanks, I wouldn't want to have to play the game for my rewards.
Maybe bump me up to 30K Achievement points.
Inb4 "That's not the same thing" Sure it isn't.... Sure.....

seriously, "they" got their 2nd nerf in 5 (!!!) days. 250 HP for elite specs are ridiculous when you have 214 from the tyria map completion. and the tyrian masteries are already a joke, because of the cof farm. I bet the next thing they do is to cut the overall xp needed for masteries...

"meaningfull progression" and pve open world "endcontent" my rear end, thx to the whiners, which will whine again before wintersday that HoT has nothing worth to play anymore!

F you guys... just F you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ItBurns posted:

For real though the mob difficulty is fine.

Except those loving frog assassins and the couple packs of 10+ mini-raptors I've seen.

• Locked thread