Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

what's the best controller for Apple TV so I can play casual games on it like some Mario ripoff?

they were using the steelseries controller during the wwdc iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Amethyst posted:

i have 20 hours in that game and haven't beaten it. i guess you could beat the easiest difficulty in 6 hours but if you beat normal in that time you got lucky.

i only beat it by cheating a lot

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

I hope the apple tv gets lots of cool innovative apps and becomes the best device

i cant imagien how epic the apple tv would be if the airvideo app ever came to it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zen death robot posted:

Any good reason to switch to an Apple TV when I already have a roku 3?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

zen death robot posted:

the new one has the App Store so you can get apps and games and poo poo, idk if roku has that

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

zen death robot posted:

it has games but they're bad, I also have a wiiu and a ps4 so that's not really something I really care about anyways

i imagine there will be non-game apps that do neat stuff or tie in well w/Apple ecosystem but who knows.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I'm holding off to see how the App Store fleshes out

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

zen death robot posted:

if you don't care about games and voice search then no.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

the swipey remote thing looks very epic imho

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zen death robot posted:

the voice search might be nice if it works across all streaming services like the text search does on roku.
tim said they'll open the api, so if it doesn't at launch, it will with an update

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

cant wait until ifixit tears one apart and declares it better / faster than a mac mini

then after its jailbroke people can write playstation / xbox emus for it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
gotta pick my ipad up at the UPS store today

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

cant wait until ifixit tears one apart and declares it better / faster than a mac mini

then after its jailbroke people can write playstation / xbox emus for it

not gonna jailbreak, but would be cool to airplay openemu from my Mac to it, or stream steam games

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm buying a new apple tv for sweet hdmi-cec action, now my tivo is the only thing that lacks it [and even their brand new one doesn't use it]

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

I'm buying a new apple tv for sweet hdmi-cec action, now my tivo is the only thing that lacks it [and even their brand new one doesn't use it]

TiVo has been dead for years, their engineering department was gutted a long time ago

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
New apple tv games will be great if you yearn for the days when you had to pump a dollar into the machine every 2 minutes to keep playing.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The Management posted:

TiVo has been dead for years, their engineering department was gutted a long time ago

Yeah I think were going to keep our aging Tivo around for live stuff, but the AppleTV will pretty much take it's place for everything else.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

I haven't seen a company squander market domination like that since palm

there's still parts of their UI in standard definition in 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Management posted:

if they don't have a functional engineering department then explain how they keep releasing innovative new designs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of their industrial designers was carrying a block of modeling clay across the shop but tripped and dropped it and it landed with a little bit hanging off the edge of a desk

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

there were case studies on tivo in 2002, lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

:rip: palm

:rip: rotor

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

who the gently caress still uses a tivo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

wait so i gotta by the hardware AND pay a monthly fee for...access to tv listing data or something? lol

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Analysts estimated 48.5 million iPhone sold last quarter but Apple said they only sold 48.05 million. Sell any stock you have in this piece of poo poo company before it tanks.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

qirex posted:

one of their industrial designers was carrying a block of modeling clay across the shop but tripped and dropped it and it landed with a little bit hanging off the edge of a desk

don't forget that boxxee boxxx thing either, the thing where they decided a cube was too practical so they angled it in such a way that it took up the maximum possible space while also making it impossible to put anything on top of it

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

apple is partnering with american express to bring apple pay to canada

they're teaming with american express

american

express

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

preparation for 2067

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PleasureKevin posted:

apple is partnering with american express to bring apple pay to canada

they're teaming with american express

american

express

because canada has so many places to use your amex

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I don't get teh appeal of apple pay. Oh boy I have to reach into my right pocket and tap my phone instead of my left pcket to tap my wallet

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ZShakespeare posted:

I don't get teh appeal of apple pay. Oh boy I have to reach into my right pocket and tap my phone instead of my left pcket to tap my wallet

it's faster than chip and signature by an absurd margin, even when you count the part where you just click your wrist and contort yourself to mash your wrist up against the terminal

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
posting from my iPad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apple pay seems good except for the part where you a) have to spend money and b) have a phone made in the past 5 years

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

its rly funny that chase decided to do their own app that's built off loving currentc lmao

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it's faster than chip and signature by an absurd margin, even when you count the part where you just click your wrist and contort yourself to mash your wrist up against the terminal

I don't know what crazy third world country you live in but I just tap my credit card on the terminal and don't need to sign anything.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ZShakespeare posted:

I don't know what crazy third world country you live in but I just tap my credit card on the terminal and don't need to sign anything.

your credit card information is never transmitted to the retailer with apple pay, so you're more protected from fraud and marketers can't track you~

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ZShakespeare posted:

contactless is loving stupid and i don't know why people clamor for it so much

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

idk last time I had cc fraud was before the tap to pay and mastercard just refunded me with no questions, but enjoy ur shiny toy

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ZShakespeare posted:

idk last time I had cc fraud was before the tap to pay and mastercard just refunded me with no questions, but enjoy ur shiny toy

same, the cc company called and asked me if I'd just bought something in france, they said they'd cancel the transaction refund the money and send me a new card. a++ would get defrauded again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I on the other hand once at the start of a holiday got a call to say my cc was in a bunch of numbers they were cancelling due to some fraud so couldn't use cc card for entire holiday

• Locked thread