Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Given that I typically play with two other friends I suspect I may bite the bullet and play the elf so that we don't have to suffer the indignity of a pubbie elf. Instead we will have some pubtard wizard exploding herself constantly, as Sigmar intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Javelins would be pretty cool, and if we have a Witch Hunter who has 50 pistols hidden in his coat somehow, why not an Elf with a few dozen pointy sticks?

Witch Hunter is probably amazing at shoplifting

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Skandranon posted:

I think this could be implemented as another grimoire type thing to carry, with big penalties. So you can either get your 2 grims for more dice hits, or grab the 'multi-select' thing to be able to select within your dice roll. Or grab everything and have almost no chance of winning.

Christ, why? The loot system blows enough dick as it is. Let us have whatever one thing we want the rare times we get a good loving roll.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

loot is a crutch

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vargs posted:

I'm super torn on what weapon to use on Elf. I like Sword/Dagger and Sword/Sword a whole lot, but I feel that Sword/Dagger pulls out ahead. Didn't care for its light attack combo at first, but as I've spent time with it I've come to love its ability to annihilate a swarm with 2 slashes and then one-shot the next couple rats coming in with dagger stab headshots. And the second power attack gives it so much versatility. You've got the same cross slash as Sword/Sword for AoE, then you have the single-target downward stab which does absolutely absurd damage. Basically an instant death sentence to Stormvermin, kills Rat Ogres very noticeably quicker, and tears apart destructible objectives. The extra block is also a nice bonus.

Unfortunately my Sword/Dagger (left) rolled some pretty terrible modifiers while Sword/Sword (right) picked up some fairly rad poo poo. Why you gotta do me this way, Vermintide

I'd also just like to say that this game desperately, desperately wants me to play Elf.

The improved pommel is the only bummer modifier imo. Killing rat ogres with one charged attack is sick and very helpful on nightmare and cata, albeit a low chance.

On nightmare and cata I find that dagger/sword or sword/sword is great because you can juggle like 6 - 9 rats and quickly kill them with normal attacks. So any weapon with attack speed increase chance is great.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
This game is real fun

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TheQat posted:

This game is real fun

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Does anyone else have the problem that the elf looks like another skaven from behind?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheQat posted:

This game is real fun

Azerban posted:

loot is a crutch

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Does anyone else have the problem that the elf looks like another skaven from behind?

better question: does anyone not

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

It's a big problem until you change friendly outlines to "always on".

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I would say "just look for the tight leather pants" but then you run the risk of staring at rat rear end

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

elf rear end is worse

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Coolguye posted:

Christ, why? The loot system blows enough dick as it is. Let us have whatever one thing we want the rare times we get a good loving roll.

The game has only been out for a few days and some people are already swimming in epics. I'd rather the loot curve kept even so everyone doesn't instantly deck out their guy and then get bored, which is I suspect one of their reasons for loot being as it is now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Skandranon posted:

The game has only been out for a few days and some people are already swimming in epics. I'd rather the loot curve kept even so everyone doesn't instantly deck out their guy and then get bored, which is I suspect one of their reasons for loot being as it is now.

While it is true that some people are saturated with good gear, it is less of a matter of the game being too easy and more that they find stuff like the black powder exploit and run it for eight hours straight. And then afterwards wonder why they are bored with the gear progression, probably

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

A couple people might have a lot of orange pixels because they've figured out certain 'pathways' to them but there's also people who have been playing 30+ hours and are still using whites on their favorite characters because the drop system is garbage.

I know they exist because I've been listening to no fewer than 6 of them over the last couple of days in Mumble. And having played with them a fair bit, at least 4 of them were plenty good enough to win maps on Hard without hand holding. The other 2 I'm less sure about, but admittedly that's because that group would not stop talking for literally anything in Mumble and the droning cacophony made me so weary I could barely look after myself.

"The game has only been out a few days" is kind of meaningless when you take it with how much time people have sunk into it.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 27, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Coolguye posted:

A couple people might have a lot of orange pixels because they've figured out certain 'pathways' to them but there's also people who have been playing 30+ hours and are still using whites on their favorite characters because the drop system is garbage.

While it might be that this was intended as exaggeration, nobody should have a white at 30+ hours on a character they care about thanks to fusing. You should have enough white garbage by then to at least fuse yourself a green.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

After 30 hours I still do not have nor have ever seen the longbow, single elf sword or the dwarf pistols. When I get them there's more replay value so nbd

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
First pair of dwarf pistols I even saw on the loot table were oranges and I got them. :nsa:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Yeah I think starting with every weapon in white variety would do more to encourage multiclassing than not using the soldier for days because you don't like the blunderbuss.

Hell, start 'em out in some poo poo-tier unfusable gray variety. Just give people the choice.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 27, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I came within inches of clearing Challenge Floor 9 with my Awoken Shiva. Had it in the bag but a skyfall turned my four-orb red combo into a five-orb red combo and left him at 10%. gently caress U skyfall. t:mad:

edit; Hey wow this post does not belong in this thread! Whoops!

Pierson fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 27, 2015

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

While it might be that this was intended as exaggeration, nobody should have a white at 30+ hours on a character they care about thanks to fusing. You should have enough white garbage by then to at least fuse yourself a green.

I have like 20 hours and still use the starter white 2h warhammer on my mustache dude because it is more fun than the blue sword/shield I have

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Chomp8645 posted:

Hello, my complete lack of rapiers to fuse and existential terror that if I put my only rapier in the fusion pot, I will never have a rapier of any color again.

I am 30+ hours in and have never acquired even a second white Rapier to sacrifice.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Mr. Wookums posted:

After 30 hours I still do not have nor have ever seen the longbow, single elf sword or the dwarf pistols. When I get them there's more replay value so nbd

Stories like this are everywhere in the mumble if you play pickup games, though most people are not as calm about it as Wookums is. The problem with fusing was pointed out just a few pages ago: If, for example, you want a zweihander on the WH, but never get zweihanders for him to drop, you have no way to produce one.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Stories like this are everywhere in the mumble if you play pickup games, though most people are not as calm about it as Wookums is. The problem with fusing was pointed out just a few pages ago: If, for example, you want a zweihander on the WH, but never get zweihanders for him to drop, you have no way to produce one.

That's why I suggested being able to construct any base white from materials. I also don't have a problem with the selecting items within the roll, just wanted it part of the variable difficulty mechanic already in place, as I think it adds a lot to the mission variability.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

There's plenty of nut-crushing and broken dreams in the dice rolls and tomes/grims right now, I really, really do not see the point in twisting the metaphorical stiletto heel a little bit more to give people their first desired white in 20 hours of play. People are not asking for a lot here.

Making crap from materials sounds nice but that's a lot of dev work to add the new UI elements and logic. Frankly, I can't see it happening when the game is still a bug-addled mess. A variable select requires no new UI elements aside from some text changes, and the logical changes are not huge. It's actually feasible in a short period of time and would be a great change, right now.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Coolguye posted:

There's plenty of nut-crushing and broken dreams in the dice rolls and tomes/grims right now, I really, really do not see the point in twisting the metaphorical stiletto heel a little bit more to give people their first desired white in 20 hours of play.

I don't think you get the point of Warhammer

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skandranon posted:

It's stabbing rats in the face and making limbs fly everywhere.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Skandranon posted:

this is a fair point

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Azerban posted:

loot is a crutch

i'm a double amputee

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pierson posted:

I came within inches of clearing Challenge Floor 9 with my Awoken Shiva. Had it in the bag but a skyfall turned my four-orb red combo into a five-orb red combo and left him at 10%. gently caress U skyfall. t:mad:

The legendary weapons in this game really get out of control.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
On the topic of new enemies, I'd really like to see Plague Censor Bearers acting to somewhat fill the "melee linebreaker" role. Smashing into your line with a huge AoE flail that also leaves a small amount of poison gas behind, but that leaves them kind of in place/slow once they started swinging would be neat.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Everyone is talking about new heroes/enemies/maps but honestly I say just leave everything complete and make full sized standalone campaign expansions. Warhammer: Greentide, five new heroes fend off the Ork invasion of a Dwarven hold. Warhammer: Bonetide, five new heroes go on an epic excursion to the Valley of the Tomb Kings. Give us all new environments, new heroes with new loot pools (so no integration shenanigans), the whole shebang. Sell em standalone for $30 just like the original, $20 if they are smaller in overall scope.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Chomp8645 posted:

Everyone is talking about new heroes/enemies/maps but honestly I say just leave everything complete and make full sized standalone campaign expansions. Warhammer: Greentide, five new heroes fend off the Ork invasion of a Dwarven hold. Warhammer: Bonetide, five new heroes go on an epic excursion to the Valley of the Tomb Kings. Give us all new environments, new heroes with new loot pools (so no integration shenanigans), the whole shebang. Sell em standalone for $30 just like the original, $20 if they are smaller in overall scope.

This is what I was thinking within an hour of playing the game. I'd be crazy hype if they made an ork expansion

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there any chance of major expansions like that, or are they going to be hamstrung by insane gw licensing?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

victrix posted:

Is there any chance of major expansions like that, or are they going to be hamstrung by insane gw licensing?

GW seems to have handled licenses out to every developer with a pulse lately. Fatshark will probably be able to do whatever they want if Vermintide ends up even moderately succesful.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I'm really appreciating the shorter maps like Man the Ramparts and Well Watch. I don't play them for loot. I play them because I got a half-hour and I want to kill rats. The fact they're so short also means that pubbies are less likely to kill the run.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

victrix posted:

They said that when they started development they had plans for bigger scope game, with more races and enemy types, but decided to narrow it down to skaven to focus development resources. In the AMA they heavily implied that chaos enemies are currently in the works. It sounds like they can do what they want so long as it doesn't directly contract lore.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gimnbo posted:

I'm really appreciating the shorter maps like Man the Ramparts and Well Watch. I don't play them for loot. I play them because I got a half-hour and I want to kill rats. The fact they're so short also means that pubbies are less likely to kill the run.

The devs said this was the intent; they wanted some big setpiece levels and some 'lunchbreak' ones for quick games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Wookums posted:

• Locked thread