Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!
I'm just going to take a minute and be optimistic about turnout this election.

Basically in Canada we just had an election won by high turnout from center-left types who came to the conclusion that contrary to cynical rhetoric, there is a huge difference between a centrist left-wing party and a right-wing party.

Right now, it seems like a lot of people in the states are likely to be feeling that way this election. There are likely a lot of people interested in Bernie, for example, who might turn out for Hillary because even if they perceive her as too centrist or Liberal Satan (depending on who you ask), she is still genuinely far closer to representing them than anyone currently on the right. Also the right seems to think that Hillary being "Bill's chance at a third term" is an attack line and not an excuse for people who love Bill to turn out and vote Democratic.

It is a beautiful dream. Please bring me crashing down to Earth tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm just going to take a minute and be optimistic about turnout this election.

Basically in Canada we just had an election won by high turnout from center-left types who came to the conclusion that contrary to cynical rhetoric, there is a huge difference between a centrist left-wing party and a right-wing party.

Right now, it seems like a lot of people in the states are likely to be feeling that way this election. There are likely a lot of people interested in Bernie, for example, who might turn out for Hillary because even if they perceive her as too centrist or Liberal Satan (depending on who you ask), she is still genuinely far closer to representing them than anyone currently on the right. Also the right seems to think that Hillary being "Bill's chance at a third term" is an attack line and not an excuse for people who love Bill to turn out and vote Democratic.

hilary clinton will probably be the next president and it'll be more or less the same as the last 8 years were

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Boon posted:

It takes both branches of Congress to pass a bill and the executive + the senate or the executive + house doesn't mean anymore than just the President. You need all three to really make things work, and even then you may just need a super majority in the Senate.

You want proper economic planning? Then you need 60 senators, >~220 congressman, and the president. Until then, you get a little of what you want (domestic spending cap lifts, no government uncertainty in a critical time period) and a little of what you don't want. That's how the system works.
'

How can anyone look at that and think, "Yep, best system ever."

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

duz posted:

Those were copyright bills, this is different. This is the one that requires companies to share personal information with the government so they can find terroristshackers and stop them. The multiple amendments that would provide penalties if either side abused/lost the personal information were defeated. It should be noted, companies are already allowed to share personal information with the government, and in fact are required to when given a warrant! So you can guess what part of that equation this bill changes.

They're not always allowed to share personal information, and the bills don't require them to share any information at all. (There are weak scrubbing requirements for PII - inadequate ones, but the idea is not to share personal information if avoidable).

CISA isn't a particularly good bill, but you're mischaracterizing it completely.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

theblackw0lf posted:

Most people think that the federal budget is like it is in the movie Dave, where the vast majority is just wasteful spending, and you just need some common sense guy to come in and fix it.

Yeah, and as a govcon it will directly screw me ugh

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hodgepodge posted:

I've already talked to a number of Bernie supporters who are refusing to vote for Hillary Clinton if/when she is nominated. It's quite early in the general election race, but the polls are pretty bad for Democrats right now.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Kaal posted:

I've already talked to a number of Bernie supporters who are refusing to vote for Hillary Clinton if/when she is nominated. It's quite early in the general election race, but the polls are pretty bad for Democrats right now.

If Bernie endorses Hillary assuming she wins, I imagine a huge percentage of those will come back around.

Plus when the general comes around and the focus becomes on the difference between what a Democratic vs Republican presidency would look like, I think the stark contrast, and the fear the latter is going to stir, will cause a lot of them to come around.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Kaal posted:

People will find their excuses in a split second if they want.

One of my family members lives a mile's walk from a polling place in a critical election purple state where you can register at the polls and still didn't go vote even after I called them repeatedly on election day asking if they were going to go vote.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

theblackw0lf posted:

Most people think that the federal budget is like it is in the movie Dave, where the vast majority is just wasteful spending, and you just need some common sense guy to come in and fix it.

Like when people think NASA has a huge chunk of the budget.

awesmoe posted:

hilary clinton will probably be the next president and it'll be more or less the same as the last 8 years were

That's the best case scenario.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

awesmoe posted:

The last 8 years saw major improvements in gay rights (repeal of DADT and legalization of gay marriage), an improved but imperfect healthcare system, and significantly improved economy headlined by one of the largest pieces of infrastructure spending in a long time. Obama has had many faults, but he managed to get a lot done (though notice 2/3 things were done during the 2 years he had the house and senate)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Kaal posted:

I wonder how many of these people unironically think they'd rather let it all burn down.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Kaal posted:

Hillary supporters said the same thing last go round, they were the so-called PUMA voters. At the end of the day party loyalty counts for a lot, which is why we're not dealing with the tail end of a McCain administration.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!
Honestly I'm okay with people passionately believing in their candidate and not their competition at this point. I mean a primary is still a contest and that doesn't have to mean everyone politely agreeing and being best buds with their rivals or whatever.

But by this time next year those people are likely to be looking at three choices:

"supporting Sanders by not voting,"

voting for someone who supports an agenda that to some degree reflects or resembles Sanders', or,

vote for whoever the screaming pack of howler monkies nominate to run or maybe just to be torn apart on the Capitol steps.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kaal posted:

Produce these polls.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

The Glumslinger posted:

The last 8 years saw major improvements in gay rights (repeal of DADT and legalization of gay marriage), an improved but imperfect healthcare system, and significantly improved economy headlined by one of the largest pieces of infrastructure spending in a long time. Obama has had many faults, but he managed to get a lot done (though notice 2/3 things were done during the 2 years he had the house and senate)

Yeah, that's pretty much what I expect the next 8 years to be. Maybe some big ticket things slammed through if eventually congress flips, decent wins where they can happen through executive action, some decent nominations, etc.
On the other hand, hilary will live up to her reputation as big-finance friendly (similarly to how obama lost his big-finance-unfriendly reputation) and also basically nothing good will come out of congress for years and years.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hodgepodge posted:

Elections that are not-the-president have obscenely, mind-boggingly, incomprehensibly rich people astro-turfing everything in sight with just loving bonkers amounts of cash so they can purchase the American government and have what they want done regardless of whatever bread-and-circuses poo poo show takes place with the presidential election that is, at best, a delaying tactic to dehumanizing self and facing to bloodshed.

You're welcome.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kalman posted:

They're not always allowed to share personal information, and the bills don't require them to share any information at all. (There are weak scrubbing requirements for PII - inadequate ones, but the idea is not to share personal information if avoidable).

CISA isn't a particularly good bill, but you're mischaracterizing it completely.

Probably, the blogs seem to change what they're complaining about it for weekly.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Badera posted:

How can anyone look at that and think, "Yep, best system ever."

Because that system also stops movements like the tea party.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Wondering how they were going to spin that cop body slamming that girl in school? The story now is that she hit him after he initially grabbed her. So she totally deserved it :lol:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!
Countdown until he thought she had a gun and had a record of being disruptive in class and was really no angel...

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Hodgepodge posted:

Countdown until he thought she had a gun and had a record of being disruptive in class and was really no angel...

Clearly she was no angel otherwise he wouldn't have been called to the class.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just saw a couple of other angles, and to be fair, it did look like she hit him. Granted he had an arm around her neck, but he was just acting preemptively so she couldn't hulk out on him and keep coming through a hail of bullets.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
Edit: doh, was going to post that on her birthday decided not to, didn't see it in the buffer. Yay phones.

KingFisher posted:

Do you think insurance could be the kind of thing software could manage? Like rates and such given rules kind always pay out claims and with known inputs?

Late but I wrote software that did that for three years. E-claims have been a thing for awhile. Doctors can even run trial claims for different prescriptions to see what your copays would be for equivalent drugs.

McAlister fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 28, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kaal posted:

I have a secret for you: most of those people were never ever going to vote in the first place.

poo poo, most of them won't even bother to vote for Bernie in their state.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I'm not going to bother reading the 950 posts that I assume are all gunchat and warcrimechat, but I do want to pop in and make you all aware that Graham has gone"gently caress it" mode, is now doing shots with reporters and answering honestly the kinds of questions politicians don't answer.

For example, he is playing FMK Hillary, Palin, Fiorina.

He picked gently caress Palin ("we'd go hunting") marry Carly ("she's rich, isn't she? Hillary says she's dead broke"), kill Hillary.

He is now bitching about the undercard debate and toasting Donald Trump while doing shots

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Oh and Rand Paul has said he will filibuster the debt ceiling bill. So that will be fun at the debate tomorrow

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm not going to bother reading the 950 posts that I assume are all gunchat and warcrimechat, but I do want to pop in and make you all aware that Graham has gone"gently caress it" mode, is now doing shots with reporters and answering honestly the kinds of questions politicians don't answer.

He picked gently caress Palin ("we'd go hunting") marry Carly ("she's rich, isn't she? Hillary says she's dead broke"), kill Hillary.

He is now bitching about the undercard debate and toasting Donald Trump while doing shots

Hmmmm Lindsay Graham...owns?

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Yeah where is Lindsey After Dark happening because I see people tweeting about it but have no idea.

Also the girl who filmed the classroom assault was on Chris Hayes earlier and said even before this, the students all referred to the cop as "Officer Slam." Rumors of body slamming pregnant women, etc.

edit: I guess it's happening wherever that pic was taken, heh

Pox
Feb 16, 2015
they should have thrown a dude into that question just in case he was really giving honest answers.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fried Chicken posted:

ahahahahahahahahahaah when is he going to come out?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

Haha, this is the angriest I've ever seen Rand Paul get. This is in response to a Buzzfeed reporter who apparently has a history of criticizing Rand Paul for using fake founding father quotes:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...311445980749619

"We discount partisans"

This is true. Ben Smith is a partisan. He even interned for the national party.

Unfortunately for Rand, it was the RNC he interned for

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Hmmmm Lindsay Graham...owns?

Lindsay Graham owns.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Fried Chicken posted:

Where is this?

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Lindsay Graham owns.

He really doesn't

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Von Sloneker posted:

Yeah where is Lindsey After Dark happening because I see people tweeting about it but have no idea.

Also the girl who filmed the classroom assault was on Chris Hayes earlier and said even before this, the students all referred to the cop as "Officer Slam." Rumors of body slamming pregnant women, etc.

edit: I guess it's happening wherever that pic was taken, heh

Ahahahahahahahha. How prophetic.

Can't wait for his supervisor to explain why they arrested the girl for filming it.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Gravel Gravy posted:

Where is this?

He really doesn't

Drunk catty Lindsay Graham is like Newt around animals. Like looking into a parallel universe where things are just 'right.'

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

F Palin, M Clinton, K Fiorina

Clinton is perfectly OKAY with a little on the side.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
TBH the next Republican debate really ought to just be a drinking contest

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Bob Ojeda posted:

Proving their counterterrorism bona fides by competing to singlehandedly rescue ISIS hostages.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bob Ojeda posted:

Yea give Lindsey a shot at winning one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Bob Ojeda posted:

Years ago I thought that everyone participating in the debate should be required to drink at least enough to blow a .08, for hilarity and accidental honesty.

Not sure what would be done about AA candidates or potential muslim/mormon candidates in this scenario though

• Locked thread