Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

I think I saw this in a movie.

Bioshock wasn't a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Someone obviously fished the plans for this out of the trash

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Azhais posted:

The drawings you want to refer to are the elevations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Azhais posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MyT-wk0DuI

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Huh. He seems way more self-aware than I would have thought.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

The depiction of his home is surprisingly accurate.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

What in the gently caress this is a bar called Topolski near London Waterloo station.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pictures 1, 2, and 12 in the gallery and that one with the staircase are all from different yachts. The indoor pool is from a company that makes indoor pools, no sign that it's from the bunker.

The weird part is that rest are legit.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 25, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Their website is good for a laugh though, what with its unspecified danger level indicator just approaching level red (whatever that means), and an inability to string two sentences together without mentioning that people have been panicking for all of human history as proof that the endtimes are NearTM.

If I had $Texas to throw around I would totally buy an impenetrable underground bunker though, just in case the proles decide to have another glorious revolution in my lifetime.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

blowfish posted:

If I had $Texas to throw around I would totally buy an impenetrable underground bunker though, just in case the proles decide to have another glorious revolution in my lifetime.
I'd rather have my bunker on the top of a mountain, since it's harder to climb than it is to dig.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Want to see the part when something goes titanically wrong and the rich start killing & eating one another.

The final twist of the movie is that the whole compound is a honeypot and there was never an apocalypse at all. Hollywood, I accept cash or cheques.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Mordja posted:

Want to see the part when something goes titanically wrong and the rich start killing & eating one another.

The final twist of the movie is that the whole compound is a honeypot and there was never an apocalypse at all. Hollywood, I accept cash or cheques.

There was a Punisher comic called The End where Castle goes to one of those bunker, forces the doors open and ensures the super rich die in a nuclear holocaust with the rest of the plebes. And machine guns a bunch of them for good measure. Good poo poo.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

I'd rather have my bunker on the top of a mountain, since it's harder to climb than it is to dig.

Piss off enough backhoe operators and you're hosed either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBMUvAUPTGM&t=165s

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 27, 2015

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

blowfish posted:

I'd totally watch a trashy drama about a bunch of rich people stuck in a bunker at the end of the world. It'd be like Revenge, but underground, and people get cast out into the wilderness rather than thrown out of the Hamptons.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
You should read (or watch) A Boy and His Dog.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

netally posted:

I'd totally watch a trashy drama about a bunch of rich people stuck in a bunker at the end of the world. It'd be like Revenge, but underground, and people get cast out into the wilderness rather than thrown out of the Hamptons.

I wanna see all the rich people standing around an overflowing toilet and no one knows how to fix it, because all their knowledge is about high-frequency-trading and inheriting money.

(Wasn't there a movie where the earth gets destroyed or something and only billionaires get to escape in a spaceship? Make that one a comedy about the most useless and entitled crew ever. And then have them slowly choke to death because Enrique isn't there to change the air filters.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dreams come true if you watch Kingsman.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
This is under construction in upper Manhattan. Columbia is really proud of it too.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RabbitWizard posted:

I wanna see all the rich people standing around an overflowing toilet and no one knows how to fix it, because all their knowledge is about high-frequency-trading and inheriting money.

(Wasn't there a movie where the earth gets destroyed or something and only billionaires get to escape in a spaceship? Make that one a comedy about the most useless and entitled crew ever. And then have them slowly choke to death because Enrique isn't there to change the air filters.)

That's why you bring staff. See their 'typical' design for your 2500 sq feet of tunnel.

10 bedrooms, 5 1/2 baths. Potentially space for 20 people. Except 3 of those bedrooms are master suites with a private bathroom and spacious sitting area. The other 7, potentially 14 people, are cramped boxes together sharing a total of 2 showers and 3 toilets. 10 bedrooms, but the dining table only seats 8 people. Home theater seats 8. Everyone in this set up is not remotely equal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KernelSlanders posted:

This is under construction in upper Manhattan. Columbia is really proud of it too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Angela Christine posted:

That's why you bring staff. See their 'typical' design for your 2500 sq feet of tunnel.

10 bedrooms, 5 1/2 baths. Potentially space for 20 people. Except 3 of those bedrooms are master suites with a private bathroom and spacious sitting area. The other 7, potentially 14 people, are cramped boxes together sharing a total of 2 showers and 3 toilets. 10 bedrooms, but the dining table only seats 8 people. Home theater seats 8. Everyone in this set up is not remotely equal.

Those rich people had better drat well have the only access codes for the air and water or they're gonna get murdered after three weeks when all the staff realise how pointless it is to work for someone who's taking an unfair share and contributing nothing.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KernelSlanders posted:

Jokes on them, the real cool place to be is in the inviso-building on the left there.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Are there any high-rise apartment building split-level units? An eighty-story high-rise divided into three-floor units, with three bedrooms and a bath up top, a living room, dining room, and kitchen in the middle, and utility space/rumpus room on the bottom would be a sight to behold. Even with a divided entry. If this doesn't exist, why not?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cheerfullydrab posted:

Are there any high-rise apartment building split-level units? An eighty-story high-rise divided into three-floor units, with three bedrooms and a bath up top, a living room, dining room, and kitchen in the middle, and utility space/rumpus room on the bottom would be a sight to behold. Even with a divided entry. If this doesn't exist, why not?

I've seen two level high rise apartments in both NY and Chicago. It's not a stretch to think there's a three floor apartment somewhere in the world. I imagine the cost of those would be downright prohibitive for 99.99% of the planet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cheerfullydrab posted:

Probably because of the space wasted by additional staircases. Staircases are bulky, as anyone who has just given up in The Sims and stuck the staircase on the outside of the house knows. Depending on codes they'll need to have two staircases going the entire height of the building, and since people hate to walk you'll also have an elevator or two. All those need to be there regardless of how the individual units are set up. Add a typical home staircase at 10 ft long by 2-3 ft wide and you are losing 20-30 sq ft of living space per unit, per floor for what are essentially decorative items. Having a 3000 sq ft apartment all on one floor just works better than having that same square footage spread over 2 or 3 floors.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

This already came up, but how, exactly, are they planning to keep the underclasses from shouting "REVOLUTION!" and taking over the second they all realize that poo poo has actually hit the fan and no outside help is forthcoming?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RabbitWizard posted:

Dunno, but there was the bit in the Hitchhiker's guide where the Golgafrinchans loaded all of the executive hairstylists and telephone sanitizers and lawyers and people like that into Ark B because the 'end of the world' was coming and told them that the A Ark would have all of the leaders and scientists and the C Ark would have all the people who actually did stuff, and they were right behind them. And then shot Ark B off into space.

Sadly, the Golgafrinchans were then wiped out by a disease contracted from a dirty telephone, and the B Ark crashed on a planet that eventually came to be known as Earth.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Naxuz posted:

This already came up, but how, exactly, are they planning to keep the underclasses from shouting "REVOLUTION!" and taking over the second they all realize that poo poo has actually hit the fan and no outside help is forthcoming?

It will end exactly like every Vault in Fallout. Everyone will kill each other before it's unsealed and radiation and mutants flood in.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RabbitWizard posted:

(Wasn't there a movie where the earth gets destroyed or something and only billionaires get to escape in a spaceship?

When Worlds Collide?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

RabbitWizard posted:

(Wasn't there a movie where the earth gets destroyed or something and only billionaires get to escape in a spaceship?

There was the 2012 movie where only the rich and government officials got to buy tickets on their arks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Naxuz posted:

They don't say. I imagine it has something to do with the fact that the plan there doesn't include any storage space. That's just a tiny regular kitchen, no pantry, no storage rooms, etc., so they can't have more than a couple weeks of food in there. No utility room either. The residents are completely dependant on the company for food, water, electricity, and air. You follow the company's rules or they seal you in.

If I were building an underground supervillain lair I'd have all the survival supplies securely stored out of reach of the guests, guarded by my loyal henchmen. If I were particularly paranoid and spiteful (like a prepper) I'd probably rig explosives or something to the critical systems, so if the residents ever try to overthrow me I can destroy the water supply and doom us all.

Then again, capitalism. They probably won't even bother to put in the equipment and food supply necessary for hundreds of people to actually live in there for years. Why would they?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

They don't say. I imagine it has something to do with the fact that the plan there doesn't include any storage space. That's just a tiny regular kitchen, no pantry, no storage rooms, etc., so they can't have more than a couple weeks of food in there. No utility room either. The residents are completely dependant on the company for food, water, electricity, and air. You follow the company's rules or they seal you in.

If I were building an underground supervillain lair I'd have all the survival supplies securely stored out of reach of the guests, guarded by my loyal henchmen. If I were particularly paranoid and spiteful (like a prepper) I'd probably rig explosives or something to the critical systems, so if the residents ever try to overthrow me I can destroy the water supply and doom us all.

Then again, capitalism. They probably won't even bother to put in the equipment and food supply necessary for hundreds of people to actually live in there for years. Why would they?

God, the number of different ways this could evolve into hell is amazing.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Looking through those pictures that thing would go down in a week or two to a couple dozen folks who'd raided a home improvement center. Cut the camera feeds, find the air vents, light a couple burning tires in them for a couple days/weeks, collapse or block all the in/out tunnels but 1, and wait there for the richies to swarm out. If it takes longer than expected, light the forest on the mountain above on fire and search again for concealed air vents. There's no way their filtration system can handle an arbitrarily high particulate load for more than a certain amount of time. Better yet light large tire fires adjacent to all air intakes, once the updraft of the fire you build equalizes the downdraft power of the air mover, you cut off their oxygen supply. There's no way to store enough air to outlast an even semi-organized attack.

Add some thermal lances on the blast doors and you're golden. Once a party gives up the freedom to maneuver, they're toast. There's no nut so tough that the interior of it can't be rendered uninhabitable.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
crazy uncle enzo going on about his tire fires again

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

flosofl posted:

I've seen two level high rise apartments in both NY and Chicago. It's not a stretch to think there's a three floor apartment somewhere in the world. I imagine the cost of those would be downright prohibitive for 99.99% of the planet.

There is a 1974 commieblock in Zagreb, Croatia that has that kind of apartments - floors 1 and 2 are apartment A, floors 3 and 4 are apartment B - the floors 5-16 are standard single-level apartments which just adds to the confusion, the loving thing is a concrete anthill.
Just to prove that we haven't learned anything, there was a whole district of commieblocks with such apartments erected in 1981. Delivering a pizza to people in these things is a harrowing experience because you WILL get lost, and the pizza isn't getting any warmer.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Getting pizza in Zagreb sounds like a harrowing experience in itself.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

Boiled Water posted:

Getting pizza in Zagreb sounds like a harrowing experience in itself.

Yes. Imagine yourself being the delivery guy, circling around aimlessly in your beat-up Lada through a neighborhood of unmarked blocks, then climbing up several flights of stairs (elevator is too drat slow) and the stairwell leads to nowhere in particular. You're now trapped in a concrete tube and you just know you're gonna get chewed up when you finally make the delivery since the pizza is cold. gently caress I'm never working that job again.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Uncle Enzo posted:

Looking through those pictures that thing would go down in a week or two to a couple dozen folks who'd raided a home improvement center. Cut the camera feeds, find the air vents, light a couple burning tires in them for a couple days/weeks, collapse or block all the in/out tunnels but 1, and wait there for the richies to swarm out. If it takes longer than expected, light the forest on the mountain above on fire and search again for concealed air vents. There's no way their filtration system can handle an arbitrarily high particulate load for more than a certain amount of time. Better yet light large tire fires adjacent to all air intakes, once the updraft of the fire you build equalizes the downdraft power of the air mover, you cut off their oxygen supply. There's no way to store enough air to outlast an even semi-organized attack.

Add some thermal lances on the blast doors and you're golden. Once a party gives up the freedom to maneuver, they're toast. There's no nut so tough that the interior of it can't be rendered uninhabitable.

Note to self: Do not piss off Uncle Enzo.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Adix posted:

crazy uncle enzo going on about his tire fires again
New thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Architectural failures - Postapocalyptic fanfiction

• Locked thread