Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh god I hope I never have to do that. My supervisor puts emotes in, and I don't mind it too much, but smiley faces just seem so unprofessional.

You aren't writing a grant letter or a legal brief, you're communicating with other people who are also giving up a huge portion of their life so they can have food and shelter. A smiley in an email doesn't mean you're unprofessional, it just means you don't have a stick up your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

it just means you don't have a stick up your rear end.

Welcome to this thread.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I also never want to change my lync text color or font. It's me, I'm the fun hater.

In my defense, I present comic sans, as used by at least one person at every company I have been part of.

I use silver/gray for my IM fonts at work. Also, Italics.

And this is why IM fonts should be locked to a standard.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I frequently wish I had that emoticon in Lync.

Every day I wish I could import SA smilies to Lync.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Che Delilas posted:

You aren't writing a grant letter or a legal brief, you're communicating with other people who are also giving up a huge portion of their life so they can have food and shelter. A smiley in an email doesn't mean you're unprofessional, it just means you don't have a stick up your rear end.

Yeah it really depends on the tone of the email, but certainly a smiley here or there can help people understand your text's tone better. The alternative is writing way more words than necessary, and I'm a believer that emails should be brief.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
There's a big difference between:

Thanks. (I always interpret this the way I'd type it. Dry and sarcastic)

and

Thanks. :) or Thanks!

Like it or not, people do get butthurt easily so it's much easier to err on the side of caution. The Nick Burns stereotype exists for a reason so try to avoid perpetuating it.

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 27, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I will never give up my smilies. When I saw my first one back in the 1980s it seemed like a great idea and it comes naturally to me to use them as a form of punctuation. Text, especially short messages has the potential to come across as too dry or perfunctory, even hostile. I toss in a smiley and I feel I've improved the odds that my tone will be interpreted properly.

I wish I could easily add SA smilies to my work emails but people might get tired of seeing :frogout:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Someone has got to have that old NBC clip about emoticons

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SaltLick posted:

My old supervisor would always use ! a lot in emails and I always though it was endearing.

Me- Hey can you check this out and restart the server for me?
Him- Server restarted! Good to go!

I do this from time to time, for sure. I've never felt comfortable putting emotes in e-mail, but my IM communication is plastered with them.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 27, 2015

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I use blue consolas and never emotes. When I do emote they're all text base because I have actual emoticons disabled. I'm that guy.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

Sorry, maybe it's because Lync smilies look so much like the Yahoo / downloadable for Yahoo IM client smilies that I spent my teens seeing. There is also only one person at my last two jobs who even uses them, so that might have to do with it.

If you really interpret "thanks" without an emote or exclamation point as sarcastic, that's entirely on you.

Oh, and gently caress calling them emojis :corsair:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sorry, maybe it's because Lync smilies look so much like the Yahoo / downloadable for Yahoo IM client smilies that I spent my teens seeing. There is also only one person at my last two jobs who even uses them, so that might have to do with it.

If you really interpret "thanks" without an emote or exclamation point as sarcastic, that's entirely on you.

Oh, and gently caress calling them emojis :corsair:

"Emoji" is the name for specific symbols contained in Unicode, here's some info for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yes, but as it says in that article they started being used in unicode in 2010. By which point we had been calling them smilies or emotes for longer than I had been on the internet. And now people call every smiley in any library an emoji.

I may largely be making a stink about it because I'm too young for my vocabulary to be old. Hence corsair.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you can't use it in a SSID, it's not a real Emoji.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Gotta admit, from my quick browse through the list, I like that surfin' dude.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

My fiancee's company is looking for a cloud hosting -and- service delivery company - they're a smallish project management shop (25-30 employees) with two locations that wants to move all their data and programs offsite. They've found a company that'll do this for a 25k (CAD) setup fee, plus 4k/month. This gets them a bunch of dudes at a couple of datacenters provisioning them a bunch of VMs to remote into plus stuff like exchange servers and whatnot. My questions are:

1) Does this sound like a good price? I've never heard of this particular sort of service before.
2) Can anyone recommend similar providers?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
An emoticon is an image represented by text characters, or alternatively a symbol displayed when someone enters a specific code, like :frogout: for .

An emoji is a pictograph baked into the text library with its own code.

Also Google's emoji library is the best library.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
off topic but Jazz Jackrabbit owns.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Kashuno posted:

off topic but Jazz Jackrabbit owns.

:respek:

GoG and Epic need to get their poo poo together and put the games up for sale.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

ChickenWing posted:

My fiancee's company is looking for a cloud hosting -and- service delivery company - they're a smallish project management shop (25-30 employees) with two locations that wants to move all their data and programs offsite. They've found a company that'll do this for a 25k (CAD) setup fee, plus 4k/month. This gets them a bunch of dudes at a couple of datacenters provisioning them a bunch of VMs to remote into plus stuff like exchange servers and whatnot. My questions are:

1) Does this sound like a good price? I've never heard of this particular sort of service before.

What does their current environment look like?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
What'd you do at work today?

Just shot at our CTO with nerf guns as he flipped into beanbag chairs.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

ChickenWing posted:

Moving Exchange to a Windows Server in hosting does not sound very cloud like.

There must be a significant number of line items that make a comparison quite complicated to effectively make.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

I have this sticker on my laptop. It's my favorite.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I have this sticker on my laptop. It's my favorite.

I need to get it and slap it over the apple logo on the company provided MBP.

We are a cloud hosting company, sorta

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

RFC2324 posted:

That would be great. We're a SaaS, so it's kind of funny.

Also, here is a tempting job opening I just got emailed

this seems legit posted:

Hello,

*Description-Jobs_

1. You will receive funds for the task.
2. You must complete the task as quickly as possible and quietly.
3. You will receive instructions for the task you via email in the location and details of the task.

The assignment will give you 250 Usd per job of 2 assignment a week.

Once you sign up you will access to training materials and consideration.

If you would like to be considered for assignments, please fill out the Application below:
-FullName...........................
-FullA.d.d.r.e.s.s..................
-ZipCode............................
-StateCity..........................
-Phone..............................
-Gender.............................
-A,g,e..............................
-CurrentJob.........................

Thanks,
team ms

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
lol that's quite the offer

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

What if instead of a smiley face j accidentally send a winky face?

:gonk:

Be careful with your font tags so that the rest of the text doesn't get garbled, or use the alt+1 smiley to be safe ☺

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Wow yeah in hindsight that was painfully vague.

Currently they have 30 employees, a bunch of computers, a Rackspace account for email and a file server with separate drives for onsite data, offsite data and backups specific to their project management software. Their other office remotes into reserved machines in the main office. One of the presidents recently popped out to the remote location and poo poo a brick when he realized how awful their computational quality of life was.

I just read the proposal they got and it seems a bit expensive for what they're effectively getting. My suggestion was to just hire an it guy for 45k/yr, buy a server or two to deal with file/print/ad/exchange needs, get a permanent vpn connection with their offsite to share services, and shell out for some high bandwidth (i.e. More than 10mbit upload) Internet connections for both sites. Their dude in charge of this sort of thing is really opposed to hiring a new it guy though.

E: also I know there are lots of fun optimizations you can do with vms that conserve resources (like dedup), but how far does that go? Is there a certain baseline "resources per average user" you go by to provision?

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 28, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Methanar posted:

"I look forward to synergizing our core competencies. :gooncamp:"

Hahaha I lost it at this.

I frequently use the circus tent emoticon in Zendesk. Because lots of stuff happens where I work that you would assume was done by clowns.

ChickenWing posted:

Rackspace account for email

To steal this from another thread:

I know that doesn't help you much, and I apologise.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 28, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

ChickenWing posted:

Wow yeah in hindsight that was painfully vague.

Currently they have 30 employees, a bunch of computers, a Rackspace account for email and a file server with separate drives for onsite data, offsite data and backups specific to their project management software. Their other office remotes into reserved machines in the main office. One of the presidents recently popped out to the remote location and poo poo a brick when he realized how awful their computational quality of life was.

I just read the proposal they got and it seems a bit expensive for what they're effectively getting. My suggestion was to just hire an it guy for 45k/yr, buy a server or two to deal with file/print/ad/exchange needs, get a permanent vpn connection with their offsite to share services, and shell out for some high bandwidth (i.e. More than 10mbit upload) Internet connections for both sites. Their dude in charge of this sort of thing is really opposed to hiring a new it guy though.

E: also I know there are lots of fun optimizations you can do with vms that conserve resources (like dedup), but how far does that go? Is there a certain baseline "resources per average user" you go by to provision?

If you have 30 FTE's I'm not seeing the need for a full-time IT Guy and I'd try shopping around to local MSPs and seeing what you're able to get.

As for email, I'd leave it with Rackspace or move to Office 365. Since you're already with Rackspace I'd look at their IaaS options and host as much as possible through that. As for whatever remains On-Premise, put everything in one central location with VPNs for the remote sites.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://www.petri.com/microsoft-system-center-will-updated-regularly-alongside-windows-10

“The most significant change is the fact that we are now delivering Windows-as-a-Service (WaaS). A lot of IT leaders haven’t yet grasped just how significant of a change this is.”

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Conferences with generous vendors are the best. One is giving away a chance to drive a Tesla for two years..! Anyone else happen to be at EDUcause?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I finally got a decent raise, so I'm happy. 7% effective November 1 and then another 6% effective Jun 1 2016.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I wish I could easily add SA smilies to my work emails but people might get tired of seeing :frogout:

Too bad Slack doesn't do the sizes like SA does, :staredog: doesn't have the same impact when it's sized down to their size. I've imported a fair number of SA emotes into work Slack and people use a fair bit of them.

RFC2324 posted:

I work for an Amazon subsidiary and I got a 5-pack for me and my coworkers.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Anybody else babysitting Rackspace's rebootopocalypse2015?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Rackspace: the only thing worse than running your own OpenStack.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Don't know if this has been brought up here yet or not but:

http://info.varonis.com/cards-against-it

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Is this for Xen? There is a big scary notice on Linode that October 29th is big danger day.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

This is the big fat notice above the list for ORD cloud servers:

rackspace posted:

Critical Maintenance Notification: To perform a critical maintenance task, some Cloud Server instances must be power cycled. You can download a CSV file of the schedule showing whether your servers are affected in Chicago (ORD).

By "some Cloud Server instances" they mean all servers built prior to 1 month ago. ORD is literally our prod environment (with DFW as HA).

We can't move to Azure fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Lightning Jim posted:

Don't know if this has been brought up here yet or not but:

http://info.varonis.com/cards-against-it

This one's been around for a long-rear end time:
https://github.com/bridgetkromhout/devops-against-humanity