Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Endman posted:

I have to say, the Punisher is a way more usable munitions platform than the K-Wing, especially after they errata'd SLAM so that you can't use it to drop a bomb any more.

I have no idea why they did that, it's not like bombs are overpowered, and that was the whole point of SLAM as they suggested in the reveal article. :psyduck:

At least both of them are way more usable than the preexisting ordnance platforms in their respective factions, the Y-Wing and the TIE Bomber.

One day my four TIE Bombers will see the light of day again. One day. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

What's wrong with the Y-wing? Especially the scum one is a pretty good platform, for ordnance or otherwise.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Tekopo posted:

What's wrong with the Y-wing? Especially the scum one is a pretty good platform, for ordnance or otherwise.

The Y-Wing is really good as a turret platform. It's terrible as a ordnance platform. Ordnance just doesn't work without some pretty huge pilot skill buffs, like Redline and Deathtrain have.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Geisladisk posted:

Problem with Proton bombs is that they always explode after everyone has moved, not on contact, so they don't let you fully utilize Deathtrain's ability. Put Proxy or Cluster mines and Advanced Scopes on Deathtrain, move first, and slam-dunk bombs on people all game long. :getin:

I don't put the Enhances Scopes on Deathrain.

TLTs, swarms, and other numerous enemies tend to move before him, so you know if you're going to hit them with the on-reveal bomb or not. They're also pretty useful to deter arc dodges from coming in behind you. Soontir is going to keep his distance rather than eat a proxy mine, if he's smart.

The assorted Aces move after Deathrain, so you can still slam dunk that proxy mine in their face or directly in their path.

One on-action mine, one on-reveal bomb, and extra munitions without enhanced scopes allows the most flexibility. :)

quote:

Ys aren't terrible for ordnance, but they suffer from not being dedicated ordnance platforms. They're typically just better at something else for the points.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

The Y-Wing is really good as a turret platform. It's terrible as a ordnance platform. Ordnance just doesn't work without some pretty huge pilot skill buffs, like Redline and Deathtrain have.
Which is why you have drea for scum. Her ability isn't as good as redline but she still works pretty well, especially if you have an R4 or R4-B11.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Which is why you have drea for scum. Her ability isn't as good as redline but she still works pretty well, especially if you have an R4 or R4-B11.

Unfortunately Drea can take neither of those.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Unfortunately Drea can take neither of those.
Ehhh, sure she can

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ah im used to just seeing agromech.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I guess the R4 agro isnt as useful but I've been having a lot of success with proton torps with drea and r4-b11. Its a bit gimmicky but it works.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

I guess the R4 agro isnt as useful but I've been having a lot of success with proton torps with drea and r4-b11. Its a bit gimmicky but it works.

The agromech is really good but kinda hard to fit in the hog/tlt spam lists.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Guy I know on fb did this Poe T-70 and I think it looks pretty good.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He didnt paint bb8 :mad:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Panzeh posted:

The agromech is really good but kinda hard to fit in the hog/tlt spam lists.

I'll always take the Unhinged Astromech on Scum Y-Wings for those delicious greens.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

So FFG is doing a Press Ganger type thing but instead of discounts or exclusive products you get paid as a W-9 "independent consultant" :psyduck:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

He didnt paint bb8 :mad:

Why would BB-8 change colors when placed in an X-wing?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Floppychop posted:

Why would BB-8 change colors when placed in an X-wing?

I think he just means because the astromech in the X-Wing is grey, rather than the orange+white combo - although I am quite tired, so I could be missing something here

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

I think he just means because the astromech in the X-Wing is grey, rather than the orange+white combo - although I am quite tired, so I could be missing something here

This guy knows whats up

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

So FFG is doing a Press Ganger type thing but instead of discounts or exclusive products you get paid as a W-9 "independent consultant" :psyduck:

Just means that you're not considered an employee of the company directly, and that they're not going to do your tax withholding. Makes sense, because they'd have to deal with some rear end in a top hat claiming they worked 60 hours a week on X-wing judging and promoting and required insurance and overtime pay if they didn't.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

And you end up paying like 55% income tax on whatever they pay you

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I played two games today, one with Redline and one with Deathrain.

Redline was way more effective. I ran her with Proton Torps, Cluster Missiles, Extra Munitions, FCS and Autothrusters.

That said... Deathrain was way more fun.

Dropping bombs, barrel rolling and then speeding away with a stupid grin is a blast.

What's everyone's Deathrain builds? I ran him with Proxy Mines, Seismic Charges, Advanced Sensors and Autothrusters.

e: and Extra Munitions, of course.

Endman fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 27, 2015

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I love how the punisher looks, unfortunately I absolutely suck with them. I only just got a Firespray so I look forward to trying Deathrain again with some proximity mines. It is a pity it is so hard to proxy mines because of the necessary templates. The only other time I ran Deathrain I had no trouble landing the conner nets which were great. The cluster mines were incredibly underwhelming; even though I managed to get almost all of them to trigger they did no damage at all.

I ran Redline the other night but ended up bumping a Kath before landing directly on top of an asteroid. Only fired one of my four missiles before I blew up...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Endman posted:

I played two games today, one with Redline and one with Deathrain.

Redline was way more effective. I ran her with Proton Torps, Cluster Missiles, Extra Munitions, FCS and Autothrusters.

That said... Deathrain was way more fun.

Dropping bombs, barrel rolling and then speeding away with a stupid grin is a blast.

What's everyone's Deathrain builds? I ran him with Proxy Mines, Seismic Charges, Advanced Sensors and Autothrusters.

e: and Extra Munitions, of course.

I usually don't bother with Autothrusters. Advanced Sensors are nice, but also not super required. I'll run them if I have points to spare.

The real thing to consider is what you run with Deathrain. He's not tanky enough to be an "anchor" ship. You have to have a better target or a screen of TIE fighters.

I run Deathrain (Proxy Mine, Proton Bombs, Extra Munitions) alongside a miniswarm of Howlrunner and three Black Squadron pilots, all with Crack Shot.

Typically I put the swarm on one side of the map, and then place Deathrain a few inches towards the center, just far enough the enemy has to choose which one to attack. Whichever one they attack, I punish them for it with the other.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Is the E-Wing any good? Just seems everyone runs Zs instead.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Corran is, because of his PS and his ability. The rest are vastly over costed

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Corran is good for jousting, but otherwise it's overpriced for what it does. Also, still doesn't look as cool as an X-wing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

grassy gnoll posted:

Corran is good for jousting, but otherwise it's overpriced for what it does. Also, still doesn't look as cool as an X-wing.
Uhhhhhhhhhh

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, what? The last thing Corran ever wants is a joust.

Endman
May 18, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

I usually don't bother with Autothrusters. Advanced Sensors are nice, but also not super required. I'll run them if I have points to spare.

The real thing to consider is what you run with Deathrain. He's not tanky enough to be an "anchor" ship. You have to have a better target or a screen of TIE fighters.

I run Deathrain (Proxy Mine, Proton Bombs, Extra Munitions) alongside a miniswarm of Howlrunner and three Black Squadron pilots, all with Crack Shot.

Typically I put the swarm on one side of the map, and then place Deathrain a few inches towards the center, just far enough the enemy has to choose which one to attack. Whichever one they attack, I punish them for it with the other.

I ran both of them with Howlrunner + 3x Obsidian Squadron Pilot. I really want to run the Black Sq. Pilots with Crack Shot, because it seems like a really great fit, but I need to buy another Kihraxz to do that.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I thought that was the whole point of the double tap.

Definitely listen to the others, though. I used him a grand total of once, which should tell you how impressed I was with the outcome.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

grassy gnoll posted:

I thought that was the whole point of the double tap.

Definitely listen to the others, though. I used him a grand total of once, which should tell you how impressed I was with the outcome.

The whole point of the double tap is that if you have a really good shot you do it twice then you move totally defensively. and then do it again when the time is right. He's usually rolling with super dash who's going to be drawing a lot of attention anyway.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Speaking of Corran Horn, is expose actually worth taking on him or just never worth the trade off for what you could be slipping in that elite slot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

kingcom posted:

Speaking of Corran Horn, is expose actually worth taking on him or just never worth the trade off for what you could be slipping in that elite slot.

Like for everyone else who can take expose, you get more from a focus action than expose. Also, yeah, the points are also a problem for Corran, otherwise you'd see more Engine Upgrade on him. Usually you just see VI with him. The typical Corran build is actually fairly lean on the points thrown in for upgrades. VI, R2D2, FCS, that's it.

Just don't use Expose, okay?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Like for everyone else who can take expose, you get more from a focus action than expose. Also, yeah, the points are also a problem for Corran, otherwise you'd see more Engine Upgrade on him. Usually you just see VI with him. The typical Corran build is actually fairly lean on the points thrown in for upgrades. VI, R2D2, FCS, that's it.

Yeah thats the go to build I use but with thought sometimes with advanced sensors instead for a defensive turn if im trying to go for a bump (cause im bad) and avoiding getting shot. Also yeah I know, expose is just bad but maaan I want to find a use for it. I run a lot of >100 point games or games built around weird scenarios and non-meta pilots so yeah. Used it on Chripy a couple of times but 'was not a complete and total waste' was the best i got out of it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Panzeh posted:

Not even with experimental interface on the Decimator?? :ohdear:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Deviant posted:

Yeah, had that on chirpy which seemed to run okay but still nothing mind blowing tbh.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

kingcom posted:

Yeah, had that on chirpy which seemed to run okay but still nothing mind blowing tbh.

Redline + FCS + Cluster Missiles + Ion Torpedoes + Extra Munitions
Chripy + Expose + Ysanne + Rebel Captive + Experimental Interface

This did some work for me the other day, is all I'm saying.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Deviant posted:

Redline + FCS + Cluster Missiles + Ion Torpedoes + Extra Munitions
Chripy + Expose + Ysanne + Rebel Captive + Experimental Interface

This did some work for me the other day, is all I'm saying.

I've run that with Whisper instead of redline (dont have any of the newest wave) and it was fun and solid but felt like i was way too easy to predict movement with on chripy. I kinda just prefer having an engine upgrade on it but I'm bad. Also first time i put expose on it it was against a Corvette which ate though its health pretty quick :p

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Deviant posted:

I mean you can play what you want but I don't think of that as a particularly strong decimator build- if you're using expose on a decimator, chir, EI, ysanne is the way to do it. I don't know why you'd want a build that limits you to the greens though or you lose all your toys.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

kingcom posted:

I've run that with Whisper instead of redline (dont have any of the newest wave) and it was fun and solid but felt like i was way too easy to predict movement with on chripy. I kinda just prefer having an engine upgrade on it but I'm bad. Also first time i put expose on it it was against a Corvette which ate though its health pretty quick :p

I had good luck opening with the ion torpedoes to control the board against the opposing heavy hitter.

Panzeh posted:

I mean you can play what you want but I don't think of that as a particularly strong decimator build- if you're using expose on a decimator, chir, EI, ysanne is the way to do it. I don't know why you'd want a build that limits you to the greens though or you lose all your toys.

What else do you suggest for Decimator or Chirpy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Predator and Engine Upgrade.

• Locked thread