Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

nuru posted:

A mecha that has a weirdly laid out cockpit where all the buttons are in a vertical line and you just press them from top to bottom then repeat?

I dread revisiting DRG once I get around to taking it 50-60 because I play with a controller. For pretty much everything else I have managed to cram all the buttons into the controller layout and make it work. Trying to figure out how I'm going to do that with sixty levels of goon skills is a headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Starting the Dragoon job quests after finishing the 3.0 MSQ is right up there with Garrosh moping in the Outlands in terms of timeline confusion.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Someone clearly isn't using his off-GCD abilities :colbert:

Foot pedals.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

SirPhoebos posted:

Starting the Dragoon job quests after finishing the 3.0 MSQ is right up there with Garrosh moping in the Outlands in terms of timeline confusion.

On the other hand, DRK's quests feel pretty natural post-MSQ, since it feels more like you're cleaning up the trash that is Cardassian Ishgardian society, and since simple ole heroism didn't seem to work...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Prop Wash posted:

Did you ask him if it was intentional? It's real easy to forget that you have a relic equipped.

Nah. I mean, if you can't tell with the giant glowy spear you're holding, I'm not sure what else to tell you!

Also, FFXIV was featured in Sony's VR presentation. They showed a few seconds of fighting Titan in 1st person, so take that for what you will.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Thundarr posted:

I dread revisiting DRG once I get around to taking it 50-60 because I play with a controller. For pretty much everything else I have managed to cram all the buttons into the controller layout and make it work. Trying to figure out how I'm going to do that with sixty levels of goon skills is a headache.

I play DRG on controller, and it's pretty easy honestly. I'm even able to have L+R and R+L go to the same crossbar without an issue. The two tricks I found are:

Having cooldowns you want to watch be on the main, easily visible bar is way more important than having GCDs there.
You can pretty easily have a second bar for your AoE stuff.

So, my setup is something like this:

Main bars: blood for blood, internal release, battle litany, dragonfire dive, impulse drive, disembowel, chaos thrust, spineshatter dive, life surge, blood of the dragon, mercy stroke, jump, true thrust, vorpal thrust, full thrust, leg sweep
L+R bar: second wind, invigorate, elusive jump, geirskogul, heavy thrust, phlebotomize, wheeling thrust, fang and claw
AoE hotbar: ring of thorns, doom spike, blood for blood, internal release, battle litany, dragonfire dive, blood of the dragon

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Does FFXIV support cast sequence macros like Rift does? Just put your rotation in a macro and spam it while using off-gcd stuff. From what I remember during the time I was playing Rift, though, cast sequence macros were required to get any kind of decent dps out of your character.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ambaire posted:

Does FFXIV support cast sequence macros like Rift does? Just put your rotation in a macro and spam it while using off-gcd stuff. From what I remember during the time I was playing Rift, though, cast sequence macros were required to get any kind of decent dps out of your character.

Yes and no. You can absolutely set up a macro that will run through your combo, however it will run significantly slower than if you to do things manually and you can't really weave things in with it. You have to actually press your buttons in this game to be good.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Ambaire posted:

no macros are the devil and essentially a trap for dumbs who use controllers

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Spells cast in the last .5s of the spell before will be cast automatically after the first spell finishes. Otherwise, no.

And for the love of god don't macro gcd abilities

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Don't use macros.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

It's frustrating that you can't even use a macro for say, Broil / Ruin or Malefic II / Malefic without breaking ability queuing. Level syncing is the worst.

Tab macro dotting is how I survived fate grinding though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cheetah7071 posted:

I play DRG on controller, and it's pretty easy honestly. I'm even able to have L+R and R+L go to the same crossbar without an issue. The two tricks I found are:

Having cooldowns you want to watch be on the main, easily visible bar is way more important than having GCDs there.
You can pretty easily have a second bar for your AoE stuff.

So, my setup is something like this:

Main bars: blood for blood, internal release, battle litany, dragonfire dive, impulse drive, disembowel, chaos thrust, spineshatter dive, life surge, blood of the dragon, mercy stroke, jump, true thrust, vorpal thrust, full thrust, leg sweep
L+R bar: second wind, invigorate, elusive jump, geirskogul, heavy thrust, phlebotomize, wheeling thrust, fang and claw
AoE hotbar: ring of thorns, doom spike, blood for blood, internal release, battle litany, dragonfire dive, blood of the dragon

That's basically what mine looks like too

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It kind of feels like you're controlling a mecha while everyone else is driving an automatic electric car.
Unless you've played MNK a lot in which case it's a different kind of stick shift.

The only stickler really comes in with Geriskogul use.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't use macros.

I have a pretty good macro that mounts my chocobo if I have it out and uses mount roulette otherwise. It's less useful now that mount roulette is worthless in HW zones though.

Combat macros are bad though, yeah

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There's a few combat macros that are worthwhile when you really need to notify your party. Living dead, for example. Or a raise macro is fine since someone is gonna burn a swiftcast and lots of MP for that one.

I use crafting macros to pump out HQ sub-level 50 materials. That's pretty useful as well.

I did once have a White Mage that macro'd EVERY ability to a role playing thing. It was like "Blessed Light, shield this party from harm! Casting {Protect}! <se.11>" or "Divine Wisdom, touch us with your healing light! Casting {Medica 2}! <se.7>"

Macros should only be used for ascii art.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Nah. I mean, if you can't tell with the giant glowy spear you're holding, I'm not sure what else to tell you!

Also, FFXIV was featured in Sony's VR presentation. They showed a few seconds of fighting Titan in 1st person, so take that for what you will.

Lol at a) having mid-90s rave culture effects on and b) paying attention during exdr

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

seiferguy posted:

FFXIV had a VR demo at TGS and they've already confirmed that it's never making it to the "real" game. It's just a tech demo.

Or maybe they reversed that decision? I can't tell, I thought they had said it was only to provide a demo for Sony.

Edit: I still don't understand how VR is supposed to work in a game where you can't look straight up.

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 27, 2015

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

seiferguy posted:

I did once have a White Mage that macro'd EVERY ability to a role playing thing. It was like "Blessed Light, shield this party from harm! Casting {Protect}! <se.11>" or "Divine Wisdom, touch us with your healing light! Casting {Medica 2}! <se.7>"

Macro all mch skills to revolver ocelot quotes

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

DarkHamsterlord posted:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

One of the benefits of the 'John loving Madden' playstyle of MCH pre-Gauss Bareel is that you can get a pretty interesting set of visuals going on. My favorite is Heartbreaking after a Clean Shot since you point your gun to the side. Curve/Ricochet that bullet!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It begins

Who wants to run DV!?

:vince:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Leal posted:

Who wants to run DV!?

Hearing that 3.1 increases xp in 51+ dungeons made me very happy. The fate trains in HW zones just aren't as common as the Than trains.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

nuru posted:

Hearing that 3.1 increases xp in 51+ dungeons made me very happy. The fate trains in HW zones just aren't as common as the Than trains.

Wait, really? That makes me happy, be getting warrior to 51 soon and was kind of dreading the 50-60 grind, especially since I am pretty sick of DV.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Best of both worlds, macro all MCH skills to ASCII art of :ocelot:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

nuru posted:

They are?

... Maybe I should hold off then. Maybe finish off botany and mining and relax a bit, get my rested xp up till it comes out. Cause lord, if I have to hear "Sickness must be purged" for 20 runs for every class :shepface:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Sarrisan posted:

Wait, really? That makes me happy, be getting warrior to 51 soon and was kind of dreading the 50-60 grind, especially since I am pretty sick of DV.

Going by this at least:

It could be a mistranslation for all I know. I also don't really know what they'd nerf in the 51+ dungeons either. Maybe make the second and third boss in Vault less punishing?

nuru fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 27, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
When is the patch?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
November 10th.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
The dungeons becoming even more boring is kind of disappointing, but at least I won't have to do as many of them.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
If I were gonna tweak paladin, I'd make Clemency and Shield Swipe instant and off-gcd, add damage to Flash, and probably make sword oath a boring flat percentage damage increase like the others.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Using {Reload}! There's nothing like the feeling of slamming a long silver bullet into a well greased chamber... <se.7>

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Thanks to drg mechachat i want to see someone play on a steel battalion controller

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Sarrisan posted:

The dungeons becoming even more boring is kind of disappointing, but at least I won't have to do as many of them.

Hopefully it just means they're nerfing stuff like whale normal, wherein two times recently I rouletted my way into a party that was incapable of clearing it which is really hosed up and sad because it is easy as piss

Like they didn't have the dps to kill the dragons :psyduck: :wtc:

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

You're pretty good!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

:ocelot:

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
I can't wait to run AV in 1st person with an oculus rift

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Games > The MMO HMO > FINAL FANTASY XIV: muli pulling disrespects the content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

But what classes does he have leveled?

• Locked thread