Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Hocus Pocus posted:

Nah - and not because of the loss of the camera - accidents do happen etc etc. I'm annoyed because she had a real blasé attitude about the whole thing. Only told me what had happened a few days later when I asked when would she be returning it. Did she honestly think I would just forget about it?

Then when she did tell me what happened it was a real "oh well!" moment on her part and she sort of shrugged off any sense of guilt or responsibility for gifting my $1500 of camera gear to some ocean floor crabs. Barely any sort of apology.

Don't lend your gear to people, they are terrible and will wreck your poo poo.

But she is repaying you the cost of the camera, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hocus Pocus posted:

Then when she did tell me what happened it was a real "oh well!" moment on her part and she sort of shrugged off any sense of guilt or responsibility for gifting my $1500 of camera gear to some ocean floor crabs. Barely any sort of apology.
Laffo, she owes you a grand and a half.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

spog posted:

But she is repaying you the cost of the camera, right?

We've had to work out a repayment plan because it turns out she's living paycheck to paycheck on $80k. I guess that's what happens when you spend $300 a week on naturopathy bullshit, $250 on osteopath/chiropractor/personal training appointments, and take impromptu trips to Bali to have some wizard tell you you're an old soul or whatever the gently caress.

:cripes: why couldn't you have fallen off the boat instead

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hocus Pocus posted:

We've had to work out a repayment plan because it turns out she's living paycheck to paycheck on $80k. I guess that's what happens when you spend $300 a week on naturopathy bullshit, $250 on osteopath/chiropractor/personal training appointments, and take impromptu trips to Bali to have some wizard tell you you're an old soul or whatever the gently caress.

Hahaha what a piece of work.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jeeeesus :stare:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Hocus Pocus posted:

Honestly, that's better than I expected. I was expecting her to blame you for giving her something so expensive without warning her and offering to pay back the cost of a P&S. That's usually the way things go here

I'd suggest she makes a claim on her travel insurance, but I am going to make a wild guess that she didn't get any.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Oh God, I am never ever lending my stuff to anyone. Even if it's to use for a few minutes, sometimes they even don't know how to handle the camera - just the other day, had a heavy lens on and they were trying to hold it just by the camera, putting who knows how much torque on the mount. That's after claiming they knew what they were doing! Never again.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Bali is really nice though, hard to fault her on that one.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Bizzaro Quik posted:

Thanks for the detailed answer. Doubt my X-T10 will be shooting good video anytime soon, right? Would take a huge firmware update I take it.

It is very unlikely, but not impossible. There's been some 4K video rumors for the X-Pro2 and there's only two ways Fuji could accomplish that with their sensor. One way might be portable to past models, the other one wouldn't be. We'll just have to wait and see.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Bud posted:

Bali is really nice though, hard to fault her on that one.

I'll happily go to Bali and throw cameras all about the shop.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Get thousands of dollars of insurance for pennies on the dollar each year, and then give no fucks about your equipment.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So after releasing a 28MP flagship camera, Samsung will close their mirrorless division.

C/N/S/F/O/P Zaibatsu:"All according to keikaku!"

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'm looking for some opinions on getting a Xpro-1 with the 18-55mm.

Would it be worth the wait for the Xpro-2, or is that like waiting for a processor update from Intel? Or should I just take the deals the are floating around now with all the $200 cash back offers going on?

If you had the choice would you get a Nikon D7100 body or the Xpro-1 kit? (I have some older manual Nikkor lenses and a 50mm f/1.4 that I use with my F100)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

I'm looking for some opinions on getting a Xpro-1 with the 18-55mm.

Would it be worth the wait for the Xpro-2, or is that like waiting for a processor update from Intel? Or should I just take the deals the are floating around now with all the $200 cash back offers going on?

If you had the choice would you get a Nikon D7100 body or the Xpro-1 kit? (I have some older manual Nikkor lenses and a 50mm f/1.4 that I use with my F100)

I love my Xpro, it's just plain fun to use and the 18-55mm will blow away older Nikon glass (unless you have higher end stuff). Just don't expect to be able to go out and shoot sports or something with the Fuji, it's gotten updates but it's still a 3 year old camera.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah a D7100 and XPro are two pretty drat different cameras. The Nikon is a sports & action camera (not that it can't take great photos of anything else, but stuff like tracking AF and rapid shooting are what set it apart) while the Fuji is definitely more portrait & landscape focused (not that you couldn't take great action shots with the electronic VF and manual focus assist features, but image quality, shooting experience and viewfinder flexibility are what it excels in.)

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Another newbie question regarding lenses on an E-M5, this time concerning the weight of lenses:

How heavy of a lens would be too heavy to still use the camera (E-M5) as the sole tripod attachment point? 500g? 800g? 1000g? More? :ohdear:

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Do Nikon and Canon have any juicy mirrorless plans, or are they totally invested in the mirror? I'm trying to keep up with some rumours and news, but haven't really seen anything that would suggest so. However, it would seem rather strange if they aren't keeping close tabs on what's going on with the competition (and the technology).

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Xabi posted:

Do Nikon and Canon have any juicy mirrorless plans, or are they totally invested in the mirror? I'm trying to keep up with some rumours and news, but haven't really seen anything that would suggest so. However, it would seem rather strange if they aren't keeping close tabs on what's going on with the competition (and the technology).

No juicy mirrorless rumors regarding both of them, just very dry and boring ones.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah a D7100 and XPro are two pretty drat different cameras. The Nikon is a sports & action camera (not that it can't take great photos of anything else, but stuff like tracking AF and rapid shooting are what set it apart) while the Fuji is definitely more portrait & landscape focused (not that you couldn't take great action shots with the electronic VF and manual focus assist features, but image quality, shooting experience and viewfinder flexibility are what it excels in.)

I think the Xpro leans more towards my style of shooting, I have a Fuji GW690ii that I love to bits, which is essentially the same form factor but about 10x bigger. Is the video on the Xpro-1 as bad as everyone says it is, or is it more gear nerds getting pissy over minor issues?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Spedman posted:

I think the Xpro leans more towards my style of shooting, I have a Fuji GW690ii that I love to bits, which is essentially the same form factor but about 10x bigger. Is the video on the Xpro-1 as bad as everyone says it is, or is it more gear nerds getting pissy over minor issues?
It's serviceable in 24fps, especially if your only intention is YouTube, and at 60 it is absolutely hideous and unusable. Lots of moire issues at any res or framerate. You get better image quality out of an iPhone at any setting. (but you won't get proper shutter speed or any bokeh out of that)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 27, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

Another newbie question regarding lenses on an E-M5, this time concerning the weight of lenses:

How heavy of a lens would be too heavy to still use the camera (E-M5) as the sole tripod attachment point? 500g? 800g? 1000g? More? :ohdear:

You'd really have to judge it yourself and it might depend on the tripod to some degree as well. I've attached the 35-100mm f/2.0 to the EM1 and I've carried it by the camera once or twice but it 100% demands a tripod collar. The drat lens itself is over 3 1/2 pounds (1.65 kilos).

What lenses are you considering using?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you're considering a D7100 why not consider an XT-1/10 along with the XPro? Especially if you are used to shooting film SLRs

Bizzaro Quik
Dec 1, 2004
Japan rules, right?

Fart Car '97 posted:

If you're considering a D7100 why not consider an XT-1/10 along with the XPro? Especially if you are used to shooting film SLRs

Agreed. Buy the X-T10 I'm selling.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Guys, video on Fuji camera is not THAT bad. I have done some video clips with the XE1 for my company internal interviews. You just have to use MF all the time. Use the meter button to pre-focus.

And I am kind of disappointed by the $99 Fuji mike for the XE1. It's good for close distance but not good enough for presentation/classroom type shooting. But hey at lease it has a mike input.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Video at 60fps on Fuji really is that bad.

https://youtu.be/RBihlPC8ZiM

The problems are not as bad at 24fps, and like I said, if your intention in YouTube or casual/family use it is serviceable. But to an actual videographer or someone who considers video to be of any actual importance, Fuji is currently the worst and is to be avoided. Smartphones don't exhibit the problems Fuji video have for Pete sake.

I love the poo poo out of my X-T1 but the video is grade A awful.

e: also the last shot of that video is proof of why you don't use Velvia with a circular polarizer

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 27, 2015

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Jimlad posted:

Oh God, I am never ever lending my stuff to anyone. Even if it's to use for a few minutes, sometimes they even don't know how to handle the camera - just the other day, had a heavy lens on and they were trying to hold it just by the camera, putting who knows how much torque on the mount. That's after claiming they knew what they were doing! Never again.

Just for laughs I did the reactions to figure out the moment on my 300-800mm, a 20" long 12lb lens. Assuming a linear self-weight with the heaviest end at the objective, I ended up with a ~13.3ftlb force on the lens mount. So I don't think there is anything to really worry about with any lens smaller than that. I hang 70-200 2.8 and 300 2.8 lenses off my lens mount without support all the time, no worries. Most cameras are pretty tough.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

whatever7 posted:

So after releasing a 28MP flagship camera, Samsung will close their mirrorless division.
I need to look for tears of people that bought into the NX system.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

LiquidRain posted:

Video at 60fps on Fuji really is that bad.

https://youtu.be/RBihlPC8ZiM

The problems are not as bad at 24fps, and like I said, if your intention in YouTube or casual/family use it is serviceable. But to an actual videographer or someone who considers video to be of any actual importance, Fuji is currently the worst and is to be avoided. Smartphones don't exhibit the problems Fuji video have for Pete sake.

I love the poo poo out of my X-T1 but the video is grade A awful.

e: also the last shot of that video is proof of why you don't use Velvia with a circular polarizer

All I'm seeing is that Fuji has a built-in tilt-shift mode (that you can't turn off).

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Just for laughs I did the reactions to figure out the moment on my 300-800mm, a 20" long 12lb lens. Assuming a linear self-weight with the heaviest end at the objective, I ended up with a ~13.3ftlb force on the lens mount. So I don't think there is anything to really worry about with any lens smaller than that. I hang 70-200 2.8 and 300 2.8 lenses off my lens mount without support all the time, no worries. Most cameras are pretty tough.

ok, but in addition not only do you have the shearing force from the weight of the lens, but the mount dimensions matter for counteracting the moment you're putting on it - quoting torque alone doesn't tell you much, and I expect the actual stress in the mount will be significant enough to risk warping it out of alignment. It's not so much ripping the mount apart that I worry about, but I bet if you manage to plastically deform it even a tiny amount (depending on pixel pitch and flange distance), it'll start affecting image quality.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I need to look for tears of people that bought into the NX system.

There are people that bought into the NX system? Even if it is just an unsubstantiated rumour, Samsung would need something really special to avoid it becoming true.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 27, 2015

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

DJExile posted:

What lenses are you considering using?

Just a 2lb 70-210mm. It will be on an FD->m43 adapter. Main problem is is that it doesn't have a tripod bracket nor an available collar - I would need to take measurements and buy a collar that would fit (if I could find one), or use something like a Manfrotto support. Alternatively, I'd be using it mostly for shooting wildlife while out hiking, so I could hypothetically use my pack as a "sandbag."

Jimlad posted:

stress in the mount will be significant enough to risk warping it out of alignment. It's not so much ripping the mount apart that I worry about, but I bet if you manage to plastically deform it even a tiny amount (depending on pixel pitch and flange distance), it'll start affecting image quality.

This is what I'm worried about. I've only used my kit lens (12-50mm) up to now, and despite the E-M5 has a magnesium-alloy body, I don't know the durability of the lens mount. Additionally, I've heard of over-stressing the camera's tripod mount itself (I have a ReallyRightStuff plate+grip on it, if that changes anything).

I'd like to think that 2lbs isn't too much, given how much heavier lenses can get, but I'm just a paranoid newcomer at this point.

Edit: Apparently 2lbs is over twice the weight of the camera body, so maybe it is too much? I assume it wouldn't hurt to track down a collar in that case, since I expect the mount can certainly take the weight of the body.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 27, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I still give no gently caress to video on Fuji. I want to see XPro2 ungrade the off camera flash system first.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You should be OK. If an EM-1 can handle a lens over 3 1/2 lbs then the EM5 shouldn't have an issue with 2 lbs. Still, I don't fault you for worrying, and finding a collar or a sort of holster/pouch to hold the thing instead of a strap, you might be a little better off.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Jimlad posted:

ok, but in addition not only do you have the shearing force from the weight of the lens, but the mount dimensions matter for counteracting the moment you're putting on it - quoting torque alone doesn't tell you much, and I expect the actual stress in the mount will be significant enough to risk warping it out of alignment. It's not so much ripping the mount apart that I worry about, but I bet if you manage to plastically deform it even a tiny amount (depending on pixel pitch and flange distance), it'll start affecting image quality.

Yeah, no I didn't look into deflection because that would have been real work, not a 5 second problem and I'd need more info than is easily available. Also, in real life there would be angular forces from swinging around and such too, but I didn't really care to break that out either. Although that might be interesting to do sometime....

Point being, I think the forces are low relative to the mount's strength in almost all cases and its not a huge concern, really. I use big lenses a lot and I'm never too worried about it affecting the mount. Most camera makers aren't building poo poo, they know that people are going to mount big lenses and they design them with that in mind. These things are supposed to be tools, not toys. What kind of camera/lens combo were you referring to, anyway?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Guys, video on Fuji camera is not THAT bad. I have done some video clips with the XE1 for my company internal interviews. You just have to use MF all the time. Use the meter button to pre-focus.

Yes it is. It bands, moire shows up really easily, color repro is poo poo and it comes out highly compressed so kiss any hopes of solid post-processing goodbye.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Yeah, no I didn't look into deflection because that would have been real work, not a 5 second problem and I'd need more info than is easily available. Also, in real life there would be angular forces from swinging around and such too, but I didn't really care to break that out either. Although that might be interesting to do sometime....

Point being, I think the forces are low relative to the mount's strength in almost all cases and its not a huge concern, really. I use big lenses a lot and I'm never too worried about it affecting the mount. Most camera makers aren't building poo poo, they know that people are going to mount big lenses and they design them with that in mind. These things are supposed to be tools, not toys. What kind of camera/lens combo were you referring to, anyway?

Yeah it's not a trivial problem, would probably need FEA and I don't exactly have a model of the camera chassis to hand... I've heard stories of people warping their mounts enough to skew the mount relative to the sensor plane by carelessly handling large lenses though. I haven't heard of any manufacturers publishing specs of what their camera mounts can actually handle, which is stupid considering there are definitely lenses that would destroy a camera if not properly supported.

Was referring to A7RII + Otus 85 w/ Nikon adapter which makes it stick out even more. Fortunately nothing compared to a super tele but tolerances need to be pretty good to keep the focal plane aligned at f/1.4, and I don't know what that mount is designed to take, so I hate to see that stuff mishandled. The basic principle should be obvious regardless of how heavy the lens is - if it's heavier than the camera, support the lens.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 27, 2015

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
You guys weren't kidding. Holy poo poo, that moire is disgusting.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Oh yeah, adapters are something else entirely. I definitely don't trust those and I'm super concerned whenever I'm using a heavy lens and, like, extension tubes.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Slowhanded posted:

You guys weren't kidding. Holy poo poo, that moire is disgusting.

I did some digging too, and the video is pretty terrible, my iPhone 5s video output looks nicer.

Thanks for all the food for thought on the Xpro-1 people. I might have a look around at some of the other mirrorless options, like Panasonic and Olympus, as I'd like to be able to shoot decent video. I now know that I'm not keen on a bulky SLR, I have enough of those I don't enjoy shooting.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Spedman posted:

like Panasonic and Olympus, as I'd like to be able to shoot decent video.
Panasonic video is better than Olympus and you get more resolution and frame rate options. There are some nice color profile options as well for Panasonic depending on which camera you get.

Olympus stabilization is nice for hand held video, though.

edit: oh yeah, it's a hell of a lot easier to set up your settings on Panasonic cameras. Shutter speed and aperture are configurable from within video mode. Olympus* just lets you select which you want to use of P/S/A/M modes and you have to go to that mode on the dial and make sure that the settings are correct before you go back to the video mode. Panasonic also gets you zebra and peaking while you are recording.

* Unless they made it better on the EM5 II.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I seem to think about this every couple of months but I think I'm actually going to do it now... I have an X-T1 at the moment and absolutely adore the thing, BUT I want to shoot more video. I don't really want to/can't afford to own two camera systems so it pretty much looks like I'm bailing on Fuji :(

The E-M5 II seems like it fits the bill and I like that the overall styling is similar, is there anything else I should be considering? Am I going to hate it? The E-M1 is around the same price too, is that still worth considering?

Basically, read my mind and make it up for me, goons!

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 28, 2015